Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Holy crap that was amazing. :allears: I love it when people dance to unexpected things, like in this case hip hop to classical music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I miss spreading Vegas (now finals) into a few weeks but cramming into 1 night wasn't so bad.

You fucks didn't put Johnny Waacks or Jaja through :argh:

Love the Top 20, though. Lot of good dancers I like, like the red shoe tapper.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I know! I was really rooting for Jaja, but was pleasantly surprised Emilio was back. This seems like a really good top 20. Hopefully he gets to actually compete on the show this year.

I wish they would have shown the routine for the group that had the weird dubstep music. Their reactions were PRICELESS.

Even though they were doing callbacks in LA, I still kept calling it Vegas week.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I never really understood why they did it in Vegas to begin with.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Neither did I. I guess just to call it "Vegas week".

Miniature Moose posted:

I wish they would have shown the routine for the group that had the weird dubstep music. Their reactions were PRICELESS.
I wish they had shown any of the other hip-hop guy that made it through. I was shocked when they said "hip-hopper" and then showed a white guy crumbling. They spent the entire season to this point showcasing every other hip-hopper that didn't make it through. This better not be another Chris Koehl situation!

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
My early favorite is (spelling) Marquette. I also like Emilio. The girls had less of an impression on me.

Definitely was sad about Jaja.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was almost certain they would pick her because they love bringing in hip hop girls. I bet she would have done decently.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'm holding out for her to come in as a sub for an injury.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

She's great at her style but I don't think she cut it in other styles well enough.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The audience didn't say "JIDGES" along with Cat :argh:

I like the idea of this Top 20 episode. Smart.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

The audience didn't say "JIDGES" along with Cat :argh:

I KNOW. It's season 11, folks! You should know the way things go by now!

I'm also a fan of how they're starting the competition - start strong with their own styles, then go forward with the different styles.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Atticus Finch posted:

I miss spreading Vegas (now finals) into a few weeks but cramming into 1 night wasn't so bad.

You fucks didn't put Johnny Waacks or Jaja through :argh:

Love the Top 20, though. Lot of good dancers I like, like the red shoe tapper.

I actually went to school with the girl in the tap shoes since middle school. She's a great person and I knew she'd wind up doing something with dance after she graduated.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tell her some random dude on the internet thinks she's great.

Unlike Christopher Scott, who I hate.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Tell her some random dude on the internet thinks she's great.

And some random girl. Valerie is very :3:

Also: I am phobic of falling down stairs. I had a hard time watching that routine. Mad props to them.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 3, 2014

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I haven't got to the end yet, will have to come back to it, ran out of time because I kept rewinding to watch the tap routine over again. Thought it was great.

Also, and I probably say it every year/week but, any of Travis' routines could be put up for an award of some sort, yet somehow they never feel repetitive to me. Incredible.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I don't like that 4 are going home next week.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I thought only 1 girl and 1 guy were going home? Only Jason DeRulo said 4 were leaving and what does he know?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I thought Nigel said "It's sad we have to lose 2 next week."

But if 4 are going home I think the contemp couples are going to get hit hard as they were all just normal contemporary routines imo. Although I did like that lift in the Sonya Tayeh one where he's holding her on his back with her feet in his hands and she's doing the splits. That seemed really hard.

But I didn't vote for any of them. I voted for Marcquet and Emilio(like I said, they're my early favorites) and Valerie.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 3, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, Nigel was quick to correct him and say it's two.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I love Travis' choreography because it always flows so well with the music so it really pulls you in. One of the things I hate about other contemporary routines is when the dancers are just flitting about the stage doing their different moves and not really connecting with the song.

I haven't watched the show in ages so I'm happy that Travis still remains such a brilliant choreographer. I've loved every routine of his that I've seen.

edit: Season 5's "Let it Rock" still remains my favourite Travis choreography.

Tin Miss fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 4, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

...! posted:

Yeah, Nigel was quick to correct him and say it's two.
Oh I missed that. Perfect. For some reason I assumed he agreed by saying two couples but I guess I was still in a tizzy about 4 people going home!

Tupping Liberty posted:

But I didn't vote for any of them. I voted for Marcquet and Emilio(like I said, they're my early favorites) and Valerie.
Same favs buddy :hfive:

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I forgot to vote Wednesday night, but my favorites so far are Emilio, Marcquet, Zack, Valerie, Teddy, Serge, Tanisha, and Ricky.

I'm also really happy that they showcase previous contestants' choreography skills. It shows just how good these dancers are, even after leaving the show.

On another note, I thought it was hilarious that Nigel mentioned the Dancing With the Stars connection because Dmitry, Lacey, Witney, Jenna, Lindsay, Artem, and Chelsie have all been featured on DWTS as either contestants or part of their troupe dancers. Phillip and Kathryn were also featured dancers in 2 of the DWTS group performances this season.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Miniature Moose posted:

On another note, I thought it was hilarious that Nigel mentioned the Dancing With the Stars connection because Dmitry, Lacey, Witney, Jenna, Lindsay, Artem, and Chelsie have all been featured on DWTS as either contestants or part of their troupe dancers. Phillip and Kathryn were also featured dancers in 2 of the DWTS group performances this season.

Yeah, it's like he was reminding new viewers or something. I didn't think of it then, but yeah, it's funny he didn't say "with Louis van Amstel and Dmitry choreographing tonight."

Tasty Towels
Feb 22, 2005
Sorry, I can't stop babbling about how hot I think Jon Stewart is.
The guys this year seem really strong. I love Stanley. He just moves so fluidly.

I really love Ricky too; I just hope he has a good attitude. He does look like Daniel Radcliffe to me. Here is a full version of his Skin and Bones routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEhc-QN_5JM

Also, I found this video on the sameness of contemporary. I really thought of Travis (even though I love him). It might just be the guys pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQyALIEydbc

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Tasty Towels posted:

Also, I found this video on the sameness of contemporary. I really thought of Travis (even though I love him). It might just be the guys pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQyALIEydbc

This is loving hilarious and now I'm never going to be able to unsee it when I watch a contemporary routine. I don't mind in the least.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That's so spot on.

Tasty Towels
Feb 22, 2005
Sorry, I can't stop babbling about how hot I think Jon Stewart is.
I really liked Sonya's routines tonight and the Tango. Serge surprised me.

I was disappointed in Spencer Lift's routine, and felt really bad for Stanley because he is so good.

I was glad that Valerie got paired with Ricky because I didn't think she would get very far on her own, and she's too adorable.

I think Teddy looks like David Bowie.

Where are Napoleon and Tabitha?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Atticus, I'm thinking you'll back me up here.... Bridget sucked in that hip hop routine. WAY overpraised by the judges, right? Really underwhelming. I kept imagining some contemp dancer like Lauren Froderman in that routine, better yet someone like Comfort. She wasn't strong at all.

Edit: Meanwhile they poo poo on Emily and she actually held her own.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I can't believe they already got rid of Malene, she had more potential than that godawful phone routine let her show. Letting Nick go was the right decision.

Ricky and Valerie were my two preseason picks to win, so pairing them up almost seems unfair.

And yes, Bridget isn't very good. She was too smiley and not into the role at all.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
So the Emmy nominations just got announced, and SYTYCD got nominated for Best Competition Show, Cat got nominated for Best Reality Host, the makeup team got nominated for their work on the finale, and the choreography nominations are as follows:

Christopher Scott routines - Trigger, Sand, and The Gravel Road
Mandy Moore routines - Edge Of Glory, Feelin' Good, and I Can't Make You Love Me
Tabitha and Napoleon routines - Puttin' On The Ritz, Gold Rush, and Run The World
Travis Wall routines - Hanging By A Thread, Wicked Games, and Medicine

Here's hoping Cat finally wins that Emmy and we get to see the choreographers/dancers perform on the Emmys like they did last year. That was awesome.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Whatever happened to... Ariel? Arianne? Something like that. She auditioned for like three seasons in a row with one of the hip hop dudes who went pretty far--Philip? She kept getting passed by despite having great clips.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Emmy nominations: I HATE YOU CHRISTOPHER SCOTT but the Sand routine was dope.

Serge was so clearly out of his element but he tried really hard so good for him.

I love Spencer Liff but GODDAMN what a shitshow he gave his dancers. Poor Malene must've known the writing was on the wall. Nick should've gone home but dude was heartbroken and that's always a pain to watch. :(

ALL PRAISE BE TO DAVE SCOTT. I also love Luther Brown and his terrible attempts at putting story into his dances. Which leads me to

Tupping Liberty posted:

Atticus, I'm thinking you'll back me up here.... Bridget sucked in that hip hop routine. WAY overpraised by the judges, right? Really underwhelming. I kept imagining some contemp dancer like Lauren Froderman in that routine, better yet someone like Comfort. She wasn't strong at all.

Edit: Meanwhile they poo poo on Emily and she actually held her own.
Yeah, I was shocked. The entire time I was thinking "is she hitting any of these moves?". That's the Emilio bias leaking through. Emily did MUCH better but also got the better routine.

But to be fair to Bridget, you can't compare her to Comfort. Comfort would've murdered that easy but that's also what Comfort does. Lauren's probably a better example but she also had training in that area.

Pixelante posted:

Whatever happened to... Ariel? Arianne? Something like that. She auditioned for like three seasons in a row with one of the hip hop dudes who went pretty far--Philip? She kept getting passed by despite having great clips.
I think she stopped auditioning. I mean, the entire process is pretty obviously rigged and she probably got tired of it. The last time she auditioned she was let go out of nowhere for no reason. Same with Brandon Dumlao. It's a shame, really.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Anya and Pasha :swoon:

No super stand out dances for me this week, although I did like the skeleton dance, the cane dance, and the viennese waltz.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Skeleton and Cane were fun. The "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Jazz number was really good too.

I wasn't a fan of the Viennese Waltz though. The part in hold was so jerky and bad that it brought the rest of the routine down for me.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
My favorites of the night:

* The Skeleton hip hop (Serge/Carly) - I thought this was just really cool. I could watch it over and over again. No clue why Nigel hated it.

* Stay With Me hip hop (Zach/Jacque) - drat...Zach is just really versatile. I love how intricate Mari and Keone's choreography is, and how it exploded from the floor to across the stage when the music picked up.

* The French contemporary (Teddy/Emily) - They really pulled that one off. You could feel the emotion through the screen.

* Happy jive (Emilio/Bridget) - Not the most technically brilliant, but a whole lot of fun.

* Viennese waltz (Ricky/Valerie) - I want her dress. It was so pretty, and the dance was adorable.

"Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter" wins the best song title award of the night. But I didn't like the dance...it was kinda boring.

Glad Stanley went home because Emilio and Teddy are 2 of my favorites in the competition. However, Fox's website requires you to log in with Facebook, and since I don't want any more Facebook spam on my wall (nor do I want to download their app) I'll just have to not vote this year. Sorry guys.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Miniature Moose posted:

* The Skeleton hip hop (Serge/Carly) - I thought this was just really cool. I could watch it over and over again. No clue why Nigel hated it.

Sometimes I think Nigel does that just to get people to vote for his favorites. People will be like, "Yeah, I'll show that Nigel Lithgow!"

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tyce Diorio is the worst, especially when he has good routines. I hate him. At least the routine on the carpet sucked. Teddy/Emily's routine, though... wow. Fantastic. Amazing.

I was really surprised that Pharcide choreographed the opening routine because I love Academy of Villains and I haaaated that. Maybe I should re-watch it.

I really liked both hip-hop routines but one was by Keone/Mari :swoon: and one was from Luther Brown so of course they were gonna be good. Special shout out to the skeleton dance, really glad Nigel's opinion was shat on because it was pretty good. A real hip-hop duo would've murdered it but for two people way out of their element in a lot of ways (for example, they probably would've done really well with a jazzy hip-hop by NappyTabs) they were fantastic. I enjoyed it highly.

The right people went home, I suppose.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm starting to feel a little ripped off this season. Cat hasn't created a horrific abomination out of her hair yet.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

...! posted:

I'm starting to feel a little ripped off this season. Cat hasn't created a horrific abomination out of her hair yet.

Or worn something overly garish.

Ricky gets all the (metaphorical, I didn't actually vote this week) votes for me for looking like Hook from Once Upon a Time in that last number. GIS because I'm too lazy to upload a pic: https://www.google.com/search?q=hook+once+upon+a+time&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9G_RU_ndNciJiwL1oIFo&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1200&bih=572

If four are getting thrown off next week, I would gladly see Teddy and Casey go. I can't tell them apart and neither of them have had wow moments. Same for Emily and Jessica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Is Misty a permanent judge? I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention if they ever mentioned her as a new edition, or just an extended guest spot.

• Locked thread