Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I believe there was a thread for this at one point but it's gone now.

WAYNE BARLOWE

Wayne Barlowe is a sci-fi/fantasy artist known for his "Barlowe's Guides" (in which he illustrates various creatures from sci-fi and fantasy literature) and his awesome artbook Expedition, which details the life on an alien world from a scientist's perspective.

SNAIAD

Snaiad is a fictional world invented by a "speculative biology" enthusiast, Nemo Ramjet. Unfortunately the project and its website seem to have been abandoned for years and years at this point, but all the images he made for it are up on his deviant art still.

DEADLY PENGUINS

I found this googling speculative evolution and

PREHISTORIC MAMMALS

The mammals of olden days were way cooler and weirder than dinosaurs ever were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeaaaah these threads are always so fun.

I like Keith Thompson's poo poo.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Here's some more speculative evolution, this time from Dougal Dixon's After Man:

The common Rabbuck!

the... uh

stricks & wakkas

and from Nemo Ramjet's Alltomorrows, speculating on human evolution:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

acephalousuniverse posted:

Here's some more speculative evolution, this time from Dougal Dixon's After Man:

After Man drove me sort of nuts, the way it arbitrarily selected what was and wasn't going to die out or evolve to fill a new niche.

Plants? All the same.

Insects? All the same.

Deer? All dead because I like rabbits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I thought the "future predators" from the TV show Primeval were pretty cool.

They were supposedly evolved from bats and had really good hearing and used echolocation. Also they apparently wiped out humanity in the far future somehow.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Every culture's got vampires, but Australian indigenous tradition has the distinction of having the dumbest/cutest, the Yara-ma-yha-who.

Wikipedia posted:

This creature resembles a little red man with a very big head and large mouth with no teeth. On the ends of its hands and feet are suckers. It lives in fig trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree. It then drops onto the victim and drains their blood using the suckers on its hands and feet, making them weak. It then consumes the person, drinks some water, and then takes a nap. When the Yara-ma-yha-who awakens, it regurgitates the victim, leaving it shorter than before. The victim's skin also has a reddish tint to it that it didn't have before. It repeats this process several times. At length, the victim is transformed into a Yara-ma-yha-who itself. According to legend, the Yara-ma-yha-who will only prey upon a living person, so (hypothetically speaking) you could survive an encounter with this monster by "playing-dead" until sunset; the creature only hunts during the day.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Always a classic. I believe it comes from that same "After Man" book

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TheDon01 posted:

Always a classic. I believe it comes from that same "After Man" book

I think that was from Man After Man. Those are both far-future human descendant species. I found this book absolutely fascinating as a kid.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

ArcMage posted:

After Man drove me sort of nuts, the way it arbitrarily selected what was and wasn't going to die out or evolve to fill a new niche.

Plants? All the same.

Insects? All the same.

Deer? All dead because I like rabbits.

Oh yeah I definitely don't think it's in any way accurate or realistic, just cool.

Here are some Fearsome Critters

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_Creatures_of_the_Lumberwoods,_With_a_Few_Desert_and_Mountain_Beasts

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Dragons in ancient Korea were hosed up man.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Redcap, also known as a powrie or dunter, is a type of malevolent murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in British Folklore. They are said to inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland. Redcaps are said to murder travellers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name). Redcaps must kill regularly, for if the blood staining their hats dries out, they die. Redcaps are very fast in spite of the heavy iron pikes they wield and the iron-shod boots they wear.
They are depicted as sturdy old men with red eyes, taloned hands, and large teeth, wearing a red cap and bearing a pikestaff in the left hand.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Behold the ESQUILAX!

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The common Rabbuck!

the... uh

stricks & wakkas

I always find it amusing just how people dont "get" evolution. There is going to be little reason for our bodies to change drastically now that we modify our environment to suit us and have removed natural selection from the equation for the most part.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Yes, that's how evolution and biology works.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Xenomorphs are awesome. RIP Giger.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
My namesake, the mighty drop bear. An Australian, ambush-hunting carnivorous marsupial that drops on it's prey from trees.

Then again, from what I've heard of Australia that wouldn't even be the worst wildlife in there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I summon thee, oh great prince of hell, commander of 26 high legions!

STOLAS THE NIGHTRAVEN! COME!

nerdz has a new favorite as of 23:02 on May 31, 2014

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

I always find it amusing just how people dont "get" evolution. There is going to be little reason for our bodies to change drastically now that we modify our environment to suit us and have removed natural selection from the equation for the most part.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Yes, that's how evolution and biology works.

It's a science fiction book in which aliens genetically modify humans a billion years in the future and then leave them on different Terra formed planets. Soooo these seem like boring nerd posts and not cool monster posts, shut up maybe

The HYDRAX and the HELION

acephalousuniverse has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The HYDRAX and the HELION

Not even close to the weirdest things in that particular MCA.

The Speculative Dinosaur Project was a really cool collaborative effort to do the "what if the dinosaurs never died out?" thing better than Dixon. Defunct now but the creators want to bring it back, so here's hoping it works out.

http://speculativebiology.wikia.com/wiki/The_Speculative_Dinosaur_Project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Someone already posted an Ars Goetia demon, but I've always been a big fan of the weird way Bruegel the Elder made his demons and damned souls look.

• Locked thread