Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=285422

Feel free to apply for a new team.

:ducksiren: SEASON STARTS JUNE 6th. JOIN NOW FOR A NEW TEAM! :ducksiren:

*Updated 5/28/2014*

Hardflip won his title, soap him forever.

Also, grats to the Numpties for winning the only cup we will probably ever have for this league.

Want to play? Go sign up using the details below and choose the option to take over an existing team or create a brand new team. We are between seasons so now is the perfect time- the next season will likely start by June 6th. Join now!

Honour Roll - Previous and Current Champions of Serie Goon (aka the soap targeting system)

Season 1 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 2 - Sardine FC - CamoesSA
Season 3 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 4 - FC Go Fast - shivermetinkers
Season 5 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 6 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 7 - Sardine FC - CamoesSA
Season 8 - Olympique Merderoi - Hardflip

CUP WINNER: The Numpties - Bucketybuck

:siren:The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice:siren:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Basic Information

Xpert Eleven is a football manager game where you manage a fictitious football team. The thought behind the game is that you compete with your friends in a league that you create yourselves. You manage your team/teams in good times as well as bad. Your tasks consist of selecting your team and working out some cunning tactical moves. You don't need to know anything about soccer at all and the game is designed to only take up about 15 minutes of your time twice a week at a minimum. You may find yourself enjoying it so much that you spend a few hours trying to find that perfect transfer, though...

One fun part of the league is press releases- it gives you a chance to smack talk your opponents and write how your team is full of winners who just constantly get screwed by RNG poor cirumstances. Also you get money every week you write a press release so just do it!

Xpert Eleven also has VIP, which thankfully gives you absolutely no advantage over regular players. However, it does give you access to neat stats and charts where you can truly understand how hard your team chokes under pressure.

Also, you can rename your players to whatever idiot gimmick you want. I do get final say on names so no, you can't name your entire team "Weedlord Bonerhitler".

Goon League Information

We're in the second iteration of the Goonship League: http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=285422. We’re in season 9 of what will be going for at least 15+ seasons. Seasons last about 8-10 weeks and there is plenty of time for a new team to get their youth going and turn into a bunch of superstars. The top flight has seen a lot of turnover and teams that have been in the lower leagues have made it all the way to the top.

The previous league played for 20 strong seasons and we had a blast. Rivalries were formed, broken, and soap was had for all.
Feel free to invite non-goons but be sure they're a good fit. Most of the poo poo talking happens on the forum too, but that's their loss.
I check the game daily so team approvals shouldn’t take too long. If for some reason I’m slacking post in this thread!

Need more information?

We have an IRC channel here:

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #soccergoons

Most of us idle there most of the time but if you stick around you will get answers to your questions. We're a friendly bunch.

There is an FAQ here: http://www.xperteleven.com/faq.aspx

The rules of the game: http://www.xperteleven.com/ruler.aspx?RuleID=34

:siren:The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice:siren:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Housekeeping
Long term inactives (3 weeks + of no activity) will be cleaned between seasons. This may affect promotion/relegation sometimes but I think it's the best way forward. Health of the league over promotion/relegation correctness.

:siren:We are currently in between seasons - apply now to take over an existing team or start your very own brand new one!:siren:

Soaping Form Guide

:siren: SOAP HARDFLIP :siren:

He won last season so show zero mercy.

Previous Threads
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602737

Participate!

I will be doing some new things when I have spare time. I want to write up at least the Serie goon teams. You are absolutely encouraged to do game writeups, ask questions, whatever. Run with it! I might even give out free VIP for great contributions!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
FREQUENT POSTERS AND THEIR TEAMS

Walamor - Sun Devils FC
Dragongem - Dragon Kickers
Hardflip - Olympics Murderoink
Uzh - Unicorn Power
Destrado - Langley Spooks
Baby Cakes - The Crimemakers
Nephizno - Calvinball United

I will add more as people post and I remember.

RESERVED FOR WRITEUPS, ETC

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 30, 2014

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Oh god both the Spooks and Olympique are in Serie Goon. Going to be one hell of a bumpy ride this season!

Edit: For anyone who might be looking at this and considering joining, goons have been playing this game together for something like 7 years. Seven freaking years. Yes, people come and go, but for goons to be playing one browser game for so long should tell you something. You can dump hours a week into this game, or mere minutes, depending on your availability. You do not need to know or understand soccer (football) in the slightest. You can almost look at this like an XCOM game. If a guy gets injured in a game, he's often out for several weeks. Player's playing form goes up and down depending on how well they and the team are doing.

What you actually do is set up tactics before each game and click save. This can be saved as a preset (not recommended), or you can take a few seconds to switch up your strategies each game (recommended), or spend like an hour pouring over your opponent's past games trying to decide how to best set up your team for the win (you will over-analyze and gently caress it up, I guarantee it, but it's still fun!). The rest of the time you can spend scouting the free agent market for new players and setting up the training schedule for your team.

The entire game is one big balancing act. You only get so much money, and it tends to be never enough for everything you want to do. You must balance paying money to scout and recruit new players, training your current players, bribing your team to do better by setting bonuses for winning or tying, and betting on what high profile teams will win each week.

You balance your players by deciding who to play in each match. Your best players give you the best chance of winning right now, but if you don't develop your younger players, they will never progress as well as they could and you could cripple your team down the line (though it's normally not irreversible by buying a less good but still capable player from the open market). Decisions matter, sometimes for years down the road, as each season lasts around 3-4 months and you often have younger players for ~15 seasons. If you develop a young player correctly, he could be one of the best players in the league in a couple real life years. That is why so many people stick around, imo, is that you get a real sense of progression from year to year and you start to develop rivalries with other coaches after you've played them over time.

TL;DR: Your decisions matter, it's not an easy game, but it's fun, you don't need to understand soccer at all and it is not super time intensive, seriously. Try it out and ask for help in this thread.

Walamor fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 29, 2014

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Finally bit the bullet and bought an all-star forward to help my comparatively young strikers but I have a feeling he's going to be soaped to poo poo every game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think I might just retire and give up my team (Blue Shift FC). Never really knew what I was doing and I'm not really feeling it that much anymore, even though I won my group. Though maybe that is just the weeks long lull we had. I dunno.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This game is terribly fun and easy to get in to and terribly easy to suck at. I know, I've been sucking at it for eight seasons now!

Despite starting off with a team valued in the top 20 most valuable teams, I have managed to achieve a degree of ineptitude that has kept CoffeeGuzzlers FC in the lower ranks for quite some time now; twice I avoided relegation into a lower division solely by virtue of the divisions being reconfigured to eliminate divisions and consolidate teams, and last season's second-place finish was still the best finish I've ever had. I am bad at this game, is what I'm saying, though I am slowly learning to not suck.

Why am I telling you all this? Because even being terrible at the game can be kinda fun; each losing season has been a learning process, and each season brings me a little bit closer to not being awful. Writing press releases remains entertaining. Watching my young rookies transform themselves into Club Legends has been rewarding. It's a fun game that requires maybe fifteen minutes a week if that. So play it!

Free Advice From Someone Who Is Slowly Learning To Not Suck At The Game:

* Your Youth Academy spits out one or two players per season to join your club. If you've got a young-ish team and you don't need any more rookies, you can either sign the kids to put them on the transfer market and hopefully make some cash, or you can stop funding your Youth Academy in order to save the training money. This past season I set my Academy funding to 0, which saved me a bucketload of succerbux to spend on things like 'ridiculously high win bonuses that will help me steal wins I don't really deserve to get' and I still have enough in the bank to potentially pick up an impact player on the transfer market if I can figure out where to put them.

* Overanalyzing your opponent will take time and effort - and that can be really frustrating when you lose anyways. What I do is set up a pretty standard 'default tactics' setting and then, before every match, I tweak it a bit; adjust my aggression and cheating settings based on the referee, for instance, and shift up my formation if I've been using the same one for a while, and switch in some bench players that need playing time and the Development Value that springs from it. This takes five minutes, tops. The time commitment is really minimal if you don't feel like overcommitting.

* It gets harder and harder to come up with coffee-themed headlines for my press releases. I may have to give up soon. But gimmicky press releases are part of the fun; just think of being a shitposting gimmick account, only for fake soccer. Plus you get soccerbux for writing 'em!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think I might just retire and give up my team (Blue Shift FC). Never really knew what I was doing and I'm not really feeling it that much anymore, even though I won my group. Though maybe that is just the weeks long lull we had. I dunno.

I'd give it a bit! We had a cup season and it was kind of a long break. We're back to two games a week very soon and will stay that way.

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

This game is incredibly fun and I actually can't believe I've been playing it for 7 years.

You don't have to be good at this game to play! My team is probably in the top ten most valuable clubs and hasn't left the bottom tier in league history so far.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Totally tanking this season

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How many times can I come second in the bottom division? LETS SEE

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I agree the longer format was kind of dull but I hope you stick with it. We might end up in tue same division again!

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
I've really enjoyed climbing up through the divisions, and seeing a group of youngsters develop is satisfying in any management game, and X11 pulls that off nicely. I think the players have a good amount of character without being difficult to compare to each other - exactly the opposite of SoccerManager.

I'll try and do some previews of the new season soon to flesh the thread out a bit.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I predict that I had one opportunity to win it all last season, blew it, and this season won't go so well.

:negative:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

How many times can I come second in the bottom division? LETS SEE

How many times can I come in third? GAME ON.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Since the season starts June 6th are we still doing the Monday/Thursday games or a different schedule?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This looks fun. I signed up as the Time Traveling Cavemen. I look forward to being bottom of the ranking!

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Dragongem posted:

Also, grats to the Numpties for winning the only cup we will probably ever have for this league.

For the rest of eternity the Mighty Numpties are going to be the reigning cup holders!

:smuggo:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

bucketybuck posted:

For the rest of eternity the Mighty Numpties are going to be the reigning cup holders!

:smuggo:

It would be worth having another cup and waiting and waiting just so you could never say that again. In fact, I'd GIVE that cup to hardflip!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Baby Cakes posted:

Since the season starts June 6th are we still doing the Monday/Thursday games or a different schedule?

Yes, Monday/Thursday, so I may just start the season June 5th

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 29, 2014

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Season 8 CSKA Christmas Player Of The Year Awards

The lads have had the traditional end of season night out/awards party, celebrating another league campaign and the club's third divisional title. Whilst the boys sprayed comically expensive champagne on each other, set fire to the tablecloths and tried to drag a waitress into the bathroom, the staff here at the club rewarded our best players with recognition for their achievements.

So here I present, without further ado, CSKA's Player Of The Year Awards:

Professional Of The Year - Zaoui El Baz

A rock at the centre of our defence, El Baz has shown exceptional commitment to the club this year and is an inspiration to the younger members of the team. Plays every game like a cup final and would tackle a juggernaut if we asked him, the Moroccan can inspire the rest of the team either by example or a stern b*llocking. Strongly denies rumours he copied his manager's haircut in order to clinch this award.

Came to the party dressed as - A Ghostbuster

Top Scorer - Abe Moris

Weighing in with 17 goals this season, his highest ever, the man known as 'The Dancer' has been the focal point of our forward play again this year. Teaming up with Grzymislawski has brought the best out of Abe as he has bullied opposition defenders; highlights include bursting the net with the third in a hattrick against Geit. Hasn't let the loss of the 'R' affected his game at all.

Came to the party dressed as - Kim Kardashian

Player Of The Year - Damian Walczak

The heartbeat of the CSKA squad, Damian Walczak is the man we would like our daughter to marry when he retires. Always the last off the training pitches, 'Wally' has been an unflappable presence in the middle of the pitch, never losing faith in either his, or his teammates, abilities. He would look comfortable at any level, and would be a global superstar if only he had at least average looks. Next year he hopes to record a version of 'Diamond Lights' with his buddy Tymoteusz.

Came to the party dressed as - His dad

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Carrying over from the old thread:

Nephzinho posted:

Why would you buy players when you can GROW THEM!?

Mainly because I'd rather spent £800,000 on two 17/4s than £200,000 a week on maybe one decent player every season. Over a seven week season that's an extra £600,000 I have spare for training and failing to buy victories against much better teams.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Yeah, at this point I'm going to dumpy academy. Even with ***** I still end up with moody 19/4 half the time so screw it.

I'd rather save the money and buy cheap veterans and 18/4s.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
I've actually been lucky and received youths that either fit my team or have decent market value.

That being said, I never bother calculating the 300k econ/week cost vs what I get back from the transfer market. Assuming you get a youth every 30 days (which is the bare minimum, most of the time it's a little less than that), as long as every youth you get is of value to your team it's worth it. Otherwise, if you sell for 1.2 mil or more you break even/profit.

I've actually sold 2 of my last 3 youths (over 60 days, I just got 2 youths in a row all of a sudden) for about 8 mil econ in total so it's worked out well dumping that money into youths. However, if you get a bad streak of worthless youths then I can understand abandoning the whole academy system.

Dragongem posted:

FREQUENT POSTERS AND THEIR TEAMS

Walamor - Sun Devils FC
Dragongem - Dragon Kickers
Hardflip - Olympics Murderoink
Uzh - Unicorn Power
Destrado - Langley Spooks

I will add more as people post and I remember.

RESERVED FOR WRITEUPS, ETC

me, I'm The Crimemakers. I think I've been posting quite a bit to warrant a mention. :smaug:

i'm ahuj9 on xperteleven though

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 30, 2014

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
quote is not edit damnit

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pretty happy with my academy thusfar.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Nephzinho posted:

Pretty happy with my academy thusfar.

Same here. I got a really nice 16/4 defense early last season. My defense has always been my strong point and when he ages up he's going to be better than my existing defense.

edit: Spotted this guy on the transfer market. I'm guessing at least 2 double jumps happened to this guy lol

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 30, 2014

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Looking much better I think.

I have a 19/3 in my academy. What should I do with him? I can't just gas him, as far as I can tell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ignore him, he will go away after a while.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I don't get no mention? Watch yourself Dragongem, I lead the team ruining soaping campaign against Lazlow and I'll do the same to you :argh:

Here's my team after pretty much losing interest the second half of last season thanks to the stupid cup making everything take so long.

Not as good as it should be but I have dead rotten luck skilling up youths. I'll probably need to work in another youth or two through defence and midfield in the next couple seasons, but my forwards and keeper are locked in for the long term.

e: and I'll be renaming everybody to Kraft products after I buy my VIP back at the season start. Nothing worse than a half-arsed gimmick!

Robodog fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 31, 2014

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

Robodog soaped Lazlow so hard he left the league. :(

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Who was it who who soaped Lazlow at the start of season 1 for goon cred and got his star player so hard he never got to play a single game?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
There were a few people doing it at the time, but I don't remember actually doing more than knocking a player out for a few days.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
So my team (Juventus Urin) got lots of money for completely owning the league last season so i sacked some players that unfortunately didn't fulfil their potential and brought in some new strikers.

Hopefully i won't have to play in the lowest league again after finally gaining promotion just now...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ephex posted:

So my team (Juventus Urin)

:argh: Revenge will be mine!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I don't think people should get denied promotion, league structure will be the 8 man leagues I proposed earlier.

I'm gonna hit the switch on Wednesday evening! Join now, new peoples!

I will do some team bios of the top flight in the next week or so. Look forward to it!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Applied with FC LF.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
My friend ondskap applied to join. Please give him a lovely team.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Dragongem posted:

I don't think people should get denied promotion, league structure will be the 8 man leagues I proposed earlier.

I'm gonna hit the switch on Wednesday evening! Join now, new peoples!

I will do some team bios of the top flight in the next week or so. Look forward to it!

There's a date for when to start the season when you create a new one. You can change it to start on Thursday and create the league now. That way, people can already start to make tactics.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Camoes posted:

There's a date for when to start the season when you create a new one. You can change it to start on Thursday and create the league now. That way, people can already start to make tactics.

But can people put new teams in? I don't think they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Dragongem posted:

But can people put new teams in? I don't think they can.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Well, they can replace other coaches but apart from that, I guess not.

• Locked thread