Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I saw this blurb on Derek Hill from Keith Law and it weirded me out

quote:

Analysis: One of the best pure athletes in the class, Hill's a plus runner and defender in center, with a short, compact swing. He's the cousin of Darryl Strawberry and his father played in Triple-A, so he has great bloodlines, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

I saw this blurb on Derek Hill from Keith Law and it weirded me out

It's a little crazy but it's definitely something teams take into account. Both Gordons constantly get compared physically to their dad.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

tadashi posted:

It's a little crazy but it's definitely something teams take into account. Both Gordons constantly get compared physically to their dad.

I just mean evaluating athletes like horses is gross, right?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Politicalrancor posted:

Genetics is not exclusive to horses.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tadashi posted:

When Max Pentecost started rising quickly in draft talk, I told myself I would go see him play this season since KSU isn't far from work. :effort:
Max Pentecost needs to be a biblically-themed comic book rear end kicker, not a baseball player.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Politicalrancor posted:

You hear this type of thing a lot more in the NFL or college football recruiting, but it definitely happens in any sport and it is kind of disturbing. There was an excerpt of The Meat Market in Sports Illustrated or something that goes through what things were like in football the early 90s. It was really interesting in an uncomfortable way but I can't seem to find it now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You are probably more likely to be really athletic if your parents are really athletic, this seems like a pretty innocuous thing to get upset about.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bloodlines are one thing -- and an actual thing, as far as it goes -- but there is definitely a subset of prospect writers who get very creepily descriptive/knowingly, ironically homoerotic about usually underage kids' bodies when writing up their scouting reports or tweeting about them. One member of the BP prospect staff in particular had this problem back when I still read him.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Grittybeard posted:

You hear this type of thing a lot more in the NFL or college football recruiting, but it definitely happens in any sport and it is kind of disturbing. There was an excerpt of The Meat Market in Sports Illustrated or something that goes through what things were like in football the early 90s. It was really interesting in an uncomfortable way but I can't seem to find it now.
In February we had the NFL Combine, popularly known as The Westminster Dog Show for People, during which each player is blindfolded and carted into Lucas Oil Stadium, stripped of name and identity and humanity, and made to compete with other players for scarce resources. These strong young men are then placed into a power hierarchy and are compensated financially for their dehumanization into physical characteristics.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Crion posted:

Bloodlines are one thing -- and an actual thing, as far as it goes -- but there is definitely a subset of prospect writers who get very creepily descriptive/knowingly, ironically homoerotic about usually underage kids' bodies when writing up their scouting reports or tweeting about them. One member of the BP prospect staff in particular had this problem back when I still read him.

Yeah, Jason Parks writes some weird poo poo about prospects.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crion posted:

Yeah that was more the type of thing I was thinking of. It doesn't help remembering Groverat's recruiting posts, although we shouldn't blame scouts for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It seems like the Astros may be taking Aiken. That probably means the Marlins take Rodon since Loria is apparently obsessed with him or something

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

Yeah, Jason Parks writes some weird poo poo about prospects.

I think he's taken the bit way too far. It was funny as a one-off thing.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like the Astros may be taking Aiken. That probably means the Marlins take Rodon since Loria is apparently obsessed with him or something

That leaves the sox looking at Kolek or Nola? I guess whichever they pick is a good idea of where Hahn sees the team at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The whole Appel situation has left me worried with Rodon, so I'd be pretty happy with Aiken

Should have listened to Imasalmon :(

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Intruder posted:

The whole Appel situation has left me worried with Rodon, so I'd be pretty happy with Aiken

Rodon has at least shown the ability to recover from a down period.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
I'd like Jackson over Rodon, but a Fernandez/Alvarez/Heaney/Rodon/Eovaldi rotation for 2015/16 is insane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it seems like the consensus is that the Astros will take the cheaper Aiken and the Marlins will go with Rodon.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it seems like the consensus is that the Astros will take the cheaper Aiken and the Marlins will go with Rodon.

Yeah, seeing Rodon wanted his full slot value if he goes #1 pretty much sealed it

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Intruder posted:

You should always listen to me. Especially in matters of the Astros.

I will one again argue that the Astros aren't necessarily looking to get a guy below slot, and will take whoever they feel is the best player available.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Going to miss the first bit of the draft is Selig going to say "____ are.... On..... The...... Clock...." Really loving slow like last year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most people (or at least a decent number) seem to think he's better anyway so is this really a big deal?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
The excitement the pagentry the many many busts, the MLB draft!

edit- oh man they really went on air an hour before picks heh.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

Most people (or at least a decent number) seem to think he's better anyway so is this really a big deal?

Aiken is better but the potential cheap out people are snickering about is taking neither of the two (in fact Aiken's price tag is close enough to Rodon that I kind of think the Astros pass on both)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

Aiken is better but the potential cheap out people are snickering about is taking neither of the two (in fact Aiken's price tag is close enough to Rodon that I kind of think the Astros pass on both)

I'm ready to be so salty

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Groucho Marxist posted:

Jump on the Nick Gordon 1.1 train with me!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For the Astros I think it makes sense to go with Aiken and save the money to spend on later picks, like how they got Rio Ruiz and Lance McCullers Jr the year they took Correa.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

Jump on the Nick Gordon 1.1 train with me!

No don't :(

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yo where can i watch the stream besides that ridiculously tiny window on mlb.com

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/watch-live/

Though tryign to watch this live is making me question my life choices

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Oh god that clip! F-L-O-Y-D, flood!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/watch-live/

Though tryign to watch this live is making me question my life choices

It's everything stupid about the NFL and NBA Draft but with the added bonus of almost literally no one having ever seen the selected players play.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

MourningView posted:

It's everything stupid about the NFL and NBA Draft but with the added bonus of almost literally no one having ever seen the selected players play.

Also a commissioner with less charisma than Roger Goodell.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Really want the Astros to go full Bryan Bullington here.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

MourningView posted:

The Marlins/Rodon thing is a big deal because it's an ownership move for a dumb reason (Cuban!!!) even if he is a good pick there. The baseball ops people allegedly want a bat and baseball ops and ownership fighting is always fun. See also: Mets.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

FlamingLiberal posted:

For the Astros I think it makes sense to go with Aiken and save the money to spend on later picks, like how they got Rio Ruiz and Lance McCullers Jr the year they took Correa.

They should take Aiken because he's the best player, just like how they should have took Buxton because he was the best player.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

They should take Aiken because he's the best player, just like how they should have took Buxton because he was the best player.

Eh I'm pretty happy with Correa tbh

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yeah it seems pretty bizzare to purposefully tank seasons in order to get 2nd best picks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is the worst draft of the three major sports by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is worse than the NFL draft because Selig isn't getting booed

• Locked thread