Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bloodlines are one thing -- and an actual thing, as far as it goes -- but there is definitely a subset of prospect writers who get very creepily descriptive/knowingly, ironically homoerotic about usually underage kids' bodies when writing up their scouting reports or tweeting about them. One member of the BP prospect staff in particular had this problem back when I still read him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
RHP Scott Blewett, y'all

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

DeepDickPizza posted:

I'm really interested to see what the Cubs do today. I imagine most casual fans that happen to thumb through any articles on the draft today will see the words "Kyle Schwarber" and "under-slot" and immediately come to the conclusion that "goddamn that Ricketts is a cheap bastard".

Well...he is?

Like, the Cubs got cute with Schwarber assuming Flaherty would be there in the second round, he wasn't, and now they're going super-cheap probably do some some stuff in IFA or whatever. If your draft strategy is predicated on one clear 1st round talent falling to the middle of the second round for signability (so you can haggle with HIM over worth based on his own depressed slot) and when he's not there you just blow it all up and keep going super-cheap, you're clearly prioritizing money over talent, and there's only a few reasons to do that outside of having another back-up plan: you're spending as little money as possible as efficiently as possible so Cubs fans can ooh and aah over your Fiscal Responsibility, or the guy upstairs has put some restrictions on you.

edit: they just went with Carson Sands, actually, who could be the guy they spend some of that saved money on (though he's like a clear plan C or D in terms of prospect quality here)

Crion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

tadashi posted:

Or maybe they just think these players will move through the system quickly so the team can get better sooner? I'm not going to defend not taking the best player available in round one and I don't think that they had the best plan but this draft pool does kind of suck and I don't think the organization that has outspent just about everyone else on the draft and amateur IFA front over the last 2 years has suddenly decided to go cheap on this end of things based only on financial reasons.

If they were drafting a player at 4 who will move through the system quickly and address the present needs of the team as it is constructed, you'd think they'd have gone Nola instead considering they need quality young pitching yesterday.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
While I don't specifically wish the Cubs ill, I will say I'm looking forward to the days when I never have to see a sentence start "I have enough trust in TheoJed that" again

• Locked thread