Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Avocados posted:

Well I super love dinosaurs so this seems like an odd but welcome combination.

e: They have my favorite dinosaur too :allears:

Every dinosaur is my favorite. :allears:

I am very eager to see how this ends up turning out. I've probably seen the trailer like ten times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Every dinosaur is my favorite. :allears:

I am very eager to see how this ends up turning out. I've probably seen the trailer like ten times.
My ten year old self would flip his loving poo poo if he knew games like this would exist in the future.

This game would be bonkers if it had Oculus support later down the road.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hihohe posted:

At night i layed perfectly still in the dark then jumped out like Arnold in Predator and slaughtered some pubbs. Shits Fun.

Yup, I think I managed something ridiculous like 27 kills over a period of 2 hours last night on one of the busy servers before somebody finally bola'd me. The server was abuzz about the crazy hobo spearing everyone and I even managed to spear 3 guys dragging around somebody else by a rope, who I also speared immediately after untying. This game has great potential.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Why is this game so grey? It's practically monochrome in all the screenshots.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
It's even better when you find them pottering about their little village, before killing them and spawncamping their teepee.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

RubberJohnny posted:

Why is this game so grey? It's practically monochrome in all the screenshots.

Im wondering this as well. How bad is night time currently?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

always be closing posted:

Im wondering this as well. How bad is night time currently?

It's dark but not as pitch black as Rust or DayZ. You can still see stuff at night, though it's obviously a bit harder. The day-to-night, and vice versa, animation for the lighting is hilarious given the current build. It basically goes from "it's really dark" to "oh god it's daylight" all of a sudden.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 2, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Yup, I think I managed something ridiculous like 27 kills over a period of 2 hours last night on one of the busy servers before somebody finally bola'd me. The server was abuzz about the crazy hobo spearing everyone and I even managed to spear 3 guys dragging around somebody else by a rope, who I also speared immediately after untying. This game has great potential.
You just missed out on starting an urban rumor that this game has a magical Batman character that shows up on random servers when you killed the guy you saved.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Bout to jump in, don't care how stripped this game is, I've always wanted to play a game with dinosaurs that's presented in a prehistoric light, rather than the whole cloned dinosaurs thing.

Any tips? Probably just gonna bang my head into the wall until I figure out what to do.

Also if any goons are playing somewhere, I'd be down to play once I get the hang of things

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bout to jump in, don't care how stripped this game is, I've always wanted to play a game with dinosaurs that's presented in a prehistoric light, rather than the whole cloned dinosaurs thing.

Any tips? Probably just gonna bang my head into the wall until I figure out what to do.

Also if any goons are playing somewhere, I'd be down to play once I get the hang of things
It's very newbie friendly, I think I figured out everything (or most of it) you can do just by some quick experimenting.

You start with an axe/tomahawk thing that you can whack at trees and stones to mine their resources. Once you get a block of wood or stone you drop it on the ground and when you have 2 of something on top of each other they create a box where they will continue to be dropped into. It grows in size relative to how much you have in it.

I don't know the exact ratios but once you get a couple of wood and stone together you can craft items by using (E) the box. Here is where you can create all your weapons like Shield, Spear, Bolos and Bow. They start with full ammo but to resupply you have to craft arrows and rope (for the bolos) again.

At this same menu you create firepits (drop meat on this to cook it), teepee (acts as your spawn) and totems (I think this is how you make tribes).
Get meat by whacking dead animals with your main axe.

That's about it as far as crafting goes, and then for hunting you mainly go after sound and looking at the stars for spawns of large dinosaurs. 2 stars close to each other means usually they're fighting somewhere and you can sneak in and grab some large meat form the fallen dinosaur.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I notice if I have say, five logs and 5 rocks, whatever I make uses up all the resources. Alpha, I guess

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zsinjeh posted:

It's very newbie friendly, I think I figured out everything (or most of it) you can do just by some quick experimenting.

You start with an axe/tomahawk thing that you can whack at trees and stones to mine their resources. Once you get a block of wood or stone you drop it on the ground and when you have 2 of something on top of each other they create a box where they will continue to be dropped into. It grows in size relative to how much you have in it.

I don't know the exact ratios but once you get a couple of wood and stone together you can craft items by using (E) the box. Here is where you can create all your weapons like Shield, Spear, Bolos and Bow. They start with full ammo but to resupply you have to craft arrows and rope (for the bolos) again.

At this same menu you create firepits (drop meat on this to cook it), teepee (acts as your spawn) and totems (I think this is how you make tribes).
Get meat by whacking dead animals with your main axe.

That's about it as far as crafting goes, and then for hunting you mainly go after sound and looking at the stars for spawns of large dinosaurs. 2 stars close to each other means usually they're fighting somewhere and you can sneak in and grab some large meat form the fallen dinosaur.

That is kind of cool that you can just dump all your poo poo in a box and then the game will just let you choose what you can make from it. I hate the crafting system from 7 days to die because I usually need to use a wiki to find out what the hell i can make and how to make it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

I notice if I have say, five logs and 5 rocks, whatever I make uses up all the resources. Alpha, I guess
This is true. Last time I played I tried to remember what the minimum amount was required for things to craft and I'd pull it out of the main chest and put it in a new spot where I wanted to craft something, since that also seemed to indicate where something would be built as there's no current "click button to build at this particular point" interface.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

TheBigAristotle posted:

Zsinjeh posted:

This is true. Last time I played I tried to remember what the minimum amount was required for things to craft and I'd pull it out of the main chest and put it in a new spot where I wanted to craft something, since that also seemed to indicate where something would be built as there's no current "click button to build at this particular point" interface.

This is actually why it uses up all of it. It's just the temporary solution they came up with before they switch to a different version. I don't know I don't actually care much for it. I just get a bunch of wood and stone and make what I want. It doesn't take long to gather the materials so it isn't a big deal for me.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Been playing the crap outta this game since they dropped their early access build and I have to say I am really pleased with it. The other goons aren't wrong in saying that this game is pretty early alpha and rough around the edges, but it is nowhere near the level of WarZ or Earth: 2066, based on what I've heard/seen on video from those. The game is super fun and has some really interesting mechanics re tying people up with bolas, dragging around your supplies instead of having magic pocket inventory, building a tribe ingame instead of teaming up over Mumble or whatever, and of course riding dinos.

One thing I really like is that dying is not a big deal at all because it takes no time to re-equip your character. Just get 16 wood and 6 rocks and you'll have enough resources for all the items you can equip, just be sure to separate them into boxes for each item. There's a really good Steam beginner's guide that covers the basics of the game and has a map with caves pointed out. Caves are important because they're the only places you can get herbs which are the only way to ride dinos, at least for now.

I have been burned by early access before (thankfully neither Warz or Earth 2066) but this is one of the (sadly rare) cases where I am glad I bought in. If you can't stand early access games, then obviously hold back and wait for a more polished release, but I'm more hopeful than cautious about the future based on what I've already seen. This is a cliche to say, but this game has tons of potential and I can't wait to see what direction it goes in (hopefully less creepy S&M cage bondage and more tracking giant dino herds with your tribe).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I think the only things that bug me about the PvP are the bolas and the quick respawns. As far as I can tell there is no way to escape or fight back once you get bola'd. This is funny if you're bola-er, but is really annoying as the bola-ed because you might as well just quit the server and rejoin at that point.

The quick respawns are just kinda annoying because you don't have time to knock down somebody's hut after you murder them before they pop back in and start swinging, which makes fighting around huts really dumb if they notice you before you tear down their poo poo.

For new people: immediately get a few stone and some wood, build a spear, and head inland. It's the best thing to murder people with and not bad at murdering dinos if you play sneaky and get the timing right.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 3, 2014

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
So the feature where you gain 20% of your opponent's exp when you spear them and they lose all of it makes this essentially my favorite early access thing out right now. The goal every time I go to a server is make a spear and go on a hobo frenzy until I can ride a T Rex. :black101:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Is there anywhere on Steam where you can easily see when games get updates? I'm going to temporarily remove Stomping Land since it's very laggy for me in the forest and I'd like to come back after a couple of patches hit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TwingeCrag posted:

So the feature where you gain 20% of your opponent's exp when you spear them and they lose all of it makes this essentially my favorite early access thing out right now. The goal every time I go to a server is make a spear and go on a hobo frenzy until I can ride a T Rex. :black101:

Carnotaurus :colbert:

T-Rex's aren't in the game yet

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh dear god, they're adding a Titanoboa

http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2038

quote:

Some may have seen Jurrasic4LIFE's post on Titanoboa. This guy will in fact be the 15th creature. Like the previous 14, Titanoboa will provide a new edge of creative problem solving that will be awesome to work on. Vlad once again knocks this model out of the park, check it out:

Real world info on the beast - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanoboa

Edit - If we can seriously make a sacrificial pit with a Titanoboa chilling there waiting to devour a captured player this will make Stomping Land a Game of the Decade :allears:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 4, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

A large patch is about to hit today, supposedly 30mins to an hour from now. No idea what's supposed to be in it, but hopefully a bunch of performance tweaks which is my #1 priority to get back in.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of refinement/tweaking to backend stuff, nothing major int he way of content but this is all good poo poo to have fixed anyway.

quote:

- Added new inventory framework* (default: spacebar)
- Updated world lighting
- Boxes and torches will now disappear if left idle
- Fixed a bug that was locking tribe chat
- Hunters can now only be dragged if they are bolas'd first
- Fixed community tab sometimes connecting to the wrong server
- Added server name to the players menu
- Fixed a bug allowing hunters to build multiple totems
- Fixed a limited number of servers being displayed in the browser
- Added missing redistributables on initial launch
- Fixed a case that was rejecting the user from joining new servers
- Optimized and reduced midsize foliage
- Optimized hunter content to consume less bandwidth

* The new inventory in this build isn't functional with items yet. The content added here over the coming updates will house all the customization, item crafting, dinosaur knowledgebase etc.

http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2622#p34796

It looks like, given the trend of the last three patches, they aim to have a patch out at least every Friday which is nice :unsmith:

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

quote:

Hunters can now only be dragged if they are bolas'd first 
This is the best change. All the fights ended up being who can press e the fastest because servers were too laggy to actually fight.

They said they're aiming for weekly patches and the next few weeks will be all server optimization and backend before they go back to adding Dino stuff.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Still no update sadly but people have unlocked the Puertasuarus from the game files

Here it is attacking/defending itself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZClkVDxkpk

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, are we dead here? Is the quality improving?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

There hasn't been a big update for a while so there's not much happening other than running around and killing people while trying to figure out how best to take down a giant dinosaur.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Sort of dead. The only PR we had left on Monday and the Dev is completely quiet.

GovernorOstrich posted:

Hello! It's monday!

Unfortunately I have nothing new to report from last week.

The game is being worked on but I have nothing new to say on that.

That said, I will be discontinuing these weekly posts until I do have something new to report.

edit: Kole posted the Austroraptor sounds on his YouTube

GovernorOstrich posted:

I should have elaborated more in my Monday post on why I am discontinuing the weekly updates.

I will no longer be handling the PR for The Stomping Land. I work as a contractor/freelancer and I have been under no obligation to do work for The Stomping Land since May 31 when my contract expired. It has been my desire to see this game succeed and so I've continued acting in this capacity while I pursue other ventures when time permits.

Vicarious posted:

No word from Jig? You can't take a screen shot or anything to show he is actually working? Is the NDA really even stopping you from talking about the move or the state the company is in?

Jig — as we all know — is not very communicative and the Monday posts feel like I am stringing the community along. I don't want that. You don't want that. So I'm not going to continue doing that.

This community is great. The common love for dinosaurs and the shared interest for hunting them and riding them is what brought us all together. I hope that we can all ride dinosaurs together soon.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So I'm hearing rumblings around the internet that the devs cut and ran. Any truth to this or are the devs just too busy to pander to the pubbies and its pissing them off?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Esroc posted:

So I'm hearing rumblings around the internet that the devs cut and ran. Any truth to this or are the devs just too busy to pander to the pubbies and its pissing them off?

Evidence is mounting pretty quickly to support that theory. Their biggest in absentia advocate, a forums mod cum junior team member had his contract with them expire and not be renewed so he stopped posting an official capacity. No updates of any kind on Twitter, Kickstarter, Facebook, the forums or what have you.

Ah well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Esroc posted:

I want to believe it's the latter, but as stated the evidence is supporting the former. Pretty lame, but maybe this along with other issues with Early Access will make Steam not want to pursue that path anymore.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Figures this was my first try at an early access. This guy knew my weak spot was realistic depictions of dinosaurs in a game. There just wasn't enough emphasis on teamwork, it was too easy to just be a douche

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh dear god, they're adding a Titanoboa

http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2038

Real world info on the beast - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanoboa

Edit - If we can seriously make a sacrificial pit with a Titanoboa chilling there waiting to devour a captured player this will make Stomping Land a Game of the Decade :allears:

This looks like it would be nearly impossible to animate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Esroc posted:

Pretty sad if so. Glad I didn't spend any money on it, but I'm really disappointed that an actual neat ~survival~ setting for once is getting wasted like this, while loving zombies continue to roll out by the dozens.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty sad if so. Glad I didn't spend any money on it, but I'm really disappointed that an actual neat ~survival~ setting for once is getting wasted like this, while loving zombies continue to roll out by the dozens.

Echoing this :smith:. Based on the newsless PR dude and the mute Dev, I have little faith of this actually turning out complete. I can see this being one of those games that gets developed at a glacial pace, bug fixed and then quietly abandoned as a half-game.

It can also be a case of a distant but hard-working dev, but this feels all too familiar.

herr
Jan 19, 2009
We're pretty much talking about one single developer at this point, right? There's so much work that needs to be done to this game to make it playable for more than 20 minutes, I just can't see this ever turning into something good, especially if the dude has stagnated. You can see all the game has to offer in a short sitting, and none of the offerings are any good. It was looking like it was going to be competing alongside Rust, but it's hardly a survival game anyways and none of the stuff that you do persists.

Do not buy this. As it stands, the game is essentially a bland deathmatch with people occasionally riding around on dinosaurs. It looks like that's all it's ever going to be. :smith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want to believe it's the latter, but as stated the evidence is supporting the former. Pretty lame, but maybe this along with other issues with Early Access will make Steam not want to pursue that path anymore.

Arma 3, Prison Architect, Xenonauts, Space Engineers, Wasteland 2 and Starbound.

These are some other early access games, too. Just as a reminder.

The whole concept is clearly labeled and it also is separate from full games. It fails some and makes some.

lovely, no denying. But certainly not the defining characteristic of Early Access.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

Arma 3, Prison Architect, Xenonauts, Space Engineers, Wasteland 2 and Starbound.

These are some other early access games, too. Just as a reminder.

The whole concept is clearly labeled and it also is separate from full games. It fails some and makes some.

lovely, no denying. But certainly not the defining characteristic of Early Access.

Bohemia Interactive have a long track record of completing their Arma games. Prison Architect devs also have a history of making games that were successful (Defcon for example). Wasteland 2 is being done by Brian Fargo who has been making games since the late 1980s, prior to Wasteland 2 his studio worked on A Bard's Tale back in 2004. Space Engineers devs made Miner Wars. Xenonauts devs are the only ones you listed that have no previous experience in making games that I can find. That's not to say unknown or indie devs are all incompetent, but if they're asking for money and have a bad track record or no track record at all then it's sort of suspect.

The devs for The Stomping Land had no track record for example, and that's part of what I was getting at. I was just speaking in the sense that, there are issues with untested developers doing Early Access and either delivering a buggy unfinished product or just just bailing on the project all together. It's not Steam's fault per se but the vetting process seems to be really weak. I mean look at them putting up, taking down, and putting back up [s]The War Z[s] Infestation or even Air Control despite them being huge piles of poo poo. Steam doesn't have to be overly restrictive, but going "yeah this game that's a buggy piece of poo poo you bought despite our promotion/marketing of it on our store front? you don't get a refund for that" (which is Steam's policy) is sort of hosed. Oh well, best bet is to let someone else buy the game and waste their money it seems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well this sucks. :smith: This one looked really good. I guess you can't win them all though, and I've been pretty fortunate so far about backed games succeeding.

This is why I don't back projects from nobodies. But they already had a playable engine, so that gave me the push I needed. Sadly that proof of concept is all that there will be.

circ dick soleil posted:

This looks like it would be nearly impossible to animate.

Eh, just moving a big snake around isn't too hard, lots of games do it. But having it constrict other dinosaurs... especially different ones of different shapes...

Yeah. Its either going to look really bad (clipping on different dinosaurs / gaps on others) or its going to be a huge pain. Huge.

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

:yoshi:
And crowdfunding makes another victim

I would hope Valve would know better than to enable these broken, unfinished and unplayable games for once.

Shadowrun Returns is still unplayable to me even months after I bought it and its expansion in hopes of it fixing something.

loving disgraceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Carnivorian posted:

And crowdfunding makes another victim

I would hope Valve would know better than to enable these broken, unfinished and unplayable games for once.

Shadowrun Returns is still unplayable to me even months after I bought it and its expansion in hopes of it fixing something.

loving disgraceful.

Uh, it sucks that this game is looking to be a bust, and there are issues with EA for sure, but Shadowrun is both finished and works for most people, so the comparison kinda ran wild there.

• Locked thread