Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Megadyptes posted:

no fur, feathers or hair on dinosaurs, gently caress this game. :argh:

To be fair none of the dinosaurs in right now besides the Carnotaurus would have had feathers or hair. That said the Austroraptor and the T-Rex will have feathers

All the complaints are pretty valid for this game. I've actually told my friends not to buy it just yet but since I paid 15 for the kickstarter I'm in. However the game has been out technically for a week and there's already been two patches. He's also given a road map for the game

quote:

Grab your spears, hunters!

The project may have a year under its belt, but today marks day one of the most important time for development. The days of 5 man testing is now history and broad-scale feedback will provide plenty of information, both technical and creative, on how to move forward with the game.

So what's on the roadmap?

- Dinosaur AI. Aside from fixing the unknown that will require attention upon the first week of testing, there is plenty in the works that will define The Stomping Land in the long-run. The boldest of all of these goals is dinosaur AI. One of my primary motivations behind starting this project was to be able to create realistic and engaging interactions between both the players and dinosaurs, and the dinosaurs with each other. There was plenty on the back-end that had to be fulfilled first, such as creating a persistent online world that can support dynamic AI, and now that these technical elements are in place, we can start to experience the crafting of these dinosaurs' intelligence as they get made. In time, it is my ambition that the dinosaur interactions alone will define The Stomping Land as a truly unique experience. So as you jump in game today, keep in mind that the AI elements that currently exist are there only as a technical foundation for this craft.

- Custom maps. The Stomping Land launches with a single map, Capa Island, which provides solid grounds for the various elements of the game. But history in multiplayer gaming shows that mods are a huge factor in the value of these experiences. So streamlining the process of allowing modders to create their own islands with dinosaurs is a certain on the to-do list.

- Simply, things to do. Survival games are all about choices, so adding both objective and casual choices will collectively create unique experiences every life. Eg Expanding crafting, new buildings, survival needs, tribal dances etc.

- A centralized server. Currently The Stomping Land holds character information by each server as players join them. By hooking up a centralized server, it will be both easier to makes updates and keep character data safer from hacks or exploits.

- A female character model is a big request, and is planned to be included.

- 3 planned gamemodes: Survival(Default), Roleplay(Casual), Extinction(Lobby PVP)

Additionally, everything that is discussed on the forums gets seen, so feel free to drop in with any feedback.

While today's release is for backer tiers 55 and up, the remaining tiers will have your keys early/mid next week(which unlock on the 30th). Huge thanks to all of our backers for enabling this project to be developed up to this point and further. I hope you enjoy the elements of The Stomping Land and see the potential for what's ahead.

Anyone interested in hosting their own servers, be sure to visit our official server provider, BlackBoxServers.

Thanks everyone, see you in-game!
jig

Even though I told my friends not to get the game, do any of you have a server up? I've been going around taking down teepees and killing people and I feel that'd be funner with a group of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

TheBigAristotle posted:

I notice if I have say, five logs and 5 rocks, whatever I make uses up all the resources. Alpha, I guess

Zsinjeh posted:

This is true. Last time I played I tried to remember what the minimum amount was required for things to craft and I'd pull it out of the main chest and put it in a new spot where I wanted to craft something, since that also seemed to indicate where something would be built as there's no current "click button to build at this particular point" interface.

This is actually why it uses up all of it. It's just the temporary solution they came up with before they switch to a different version. I don't know I don't actually care much for it. I just get a bunch of wood and stone and make what I want. It doesn't take long to gather the materials so it isn't a big deal for me.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Hunters can now only be dragged if they are bolas'd first 
This is the best change. All the fights ended up being who can press e the fastest because servers were too laggy to actually fight.

They said they're aiming for weekly patches and the next few weeks will be all server optimization and backend before they go back to adding Dino stuff.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Still no update sadly but people have unlocked the Puertasuarus from the game files

Here it is attacking/defending itself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZClkVDxkpk

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

So, are we dead here? Is the quality improving?

Sort of dead. The only PR we had left on Monday and the Dev is completely quiet.

GovernorOstrich posted:

Hello! It's monday!

Unfortunately I have nothing new to report from last week.

The game is being worked on but I have nothing new to say on that.

That said, I will be discontinuing these weekly posts until I do have something new to report.

edit: Kole posted the Austroraptor sounds on his YouTube

GovernorOstrich posted:

I should have elaborated more in my Monday post on why I am discontinuing the weekly updates.

I will no longer be handling the PR for The Stomping Land. I work as a contractor/freelancer and I have been under no obligation to do work for The Stomping Land since May 31 when my contract expired. It has been my desire to see this game succeed and so I've continued acting in this capacity while I pursue other ventures when time permits.

Vicarious posted:

No word from Jig? You can't take a screen shot or anything to show he is actually working? Is the NDA really even stopping you from talking about the move or the state the company is in?

Jig — as we all know — is not very communicative and the Monday posts feel like I am stringing the community along. I don't want that. You don't want that. So I'm not going to continue doing that.

This community is great. The common love for dinosaurs and the shared interest for hunting them and riding them is what brought us all together. I hope that we can all ride dinosaurs together soon.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

- Added the Puertasaurus
- The Gallimimus and Stygimoloch can now be knocked out with 1 arrow
- Reduced the potency of small-meat consumption to a forth of its previous effect
- Expertise is now gained from hunting(amount is creature dependant)
- Removed passive expertise gain
- A stampede is now always occurring on some part of the island

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Jig posted:

So there will be an update coming out in just a few days. The earlier mentioned save system won't be making an appearance yet, but I have something else which is making some pivotal changes to the crafting and hunting gameplay. Looking at either Thursday or Friday

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

I guess we're back to a normal update schedule!

jig posted:

09/22/2014
Unread postby jig » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 am

- Added item inventory functionality (Default: Spacebar)
- Various materials can be salvaged off of fallen dinosaurs
- Crafting is now done within the inventory
- Added essential recipes
- Added craftable traps: Arrow Trap, Whistling Trap, Barrage Trap, Smoke Trap, Launch Trap *
- Large dinosaurs can now be damaged by arrows
- Changed expertise to be rewarded from salvaging dinosaurs instead of slaying them
- Campsites are now able to be built in the caves
- Removed expertise-shrines
- Various effects and adjustments

* A few seconds after being placed, a trap will become active and completely hidden to everyone. They can be tripped by humans, dinosaurs, and even the owner.
* A trap will self destroy if not triggered within a few minutes.

Arrow Trap - Trip - Low cost trap that fires a single arrow in a specific direction.
Whistling Trap - Proximity - Once triggered, all undistracted dinosaurs in a quarter-mile will investigate this location.
Barrage Trap - Trip - Rapidly fires an onslaught of arrows in a broad general direction.
Smoke Trap - Proximity - Impairs vision and snares movement of the target.
Launch Trap - Proximity - Sends the target sailing into the air, prone to fall damage. (Doesn't work on dinosaurs)

jig posted:

So today's update revolves around the new inventory and craftable traps. All of the previous craftable weapons and buildings along with the new traps are now done within the inventory.

Now that there are many other resources introduced, the familiar recipes for weapons and buildings have changed. No longer can a new hunter spawn and instantly build everything on the beach. This is because the materials he needs to build most of his items, including all of his weapons, need to be salvaged off of dinosaurs. Without weapons, this can be tough. This is why I introduced the first round of traps with this update. Now, new players must rely on trap building and scavenging to gain momentum before they can become a full blown hunter. This provides a lot of longevity to the gameplay, requires some patience, and provides an opportunity for many things to collect. The new materials and craftable items are just the core of this new system, which is paving the way for the cosmetics update among other things.

In terms of gameplay, there are a handful of broad mechanics I have planned not yet implemented, so try not to get too attached or bummed out if you lose your items or things feel imbalanced. This is still very much alpha-test phases :]

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit peeved he's like "here's an update guys" and sort of ignores the fact a lot of people bought the game via Steam and can't play nor did he offer any codes to download the game as a third party program.

Edit - There definitely had to have been some behind the scenes clusterfuck going on. That or literally everyone from Florida (where they claim to be based out of) is incompetent with running a startup.

Why can't you play via Steam? You're not allowed to buy it anymore but you can still get updates and play.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

That's weird I still have it. Try searching for the store page and see if it lets you download it from there?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

It looks like they disappear after a few minutes if it hasn't been sprung

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

And devs are dead again. So goddamn fishy. I did want this game to be good.

The dev has actually been talking more often now.

quote:

Week of 10/06
Post by jig » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:28 am

So last week I was moving cross country, but I'm just about all setup here, so I can finally get back to some Stompage.

Since this is the month of optimization, one change you can expect this week is an overhaul on the HUD performance. Many users, including myself, were noticing some major mouse lag when more complex huds were drawn. I know exactly what's causing this so this week's patch will include this slight rework. Visually, the HUD won't change, but you should notice a big reduction on mouselag, unless you've been running a beast computer.

Alongside the HUD update, I'll be making a handful of tweaks and balances for droprates, crafting recipes, etc based on all of the input I've seen on the forum. And finally I'll be making a significant change to the default axe which I think presents a great solution against spawn killing, without ruining the fun.

So all of this will be in this week's patch which is looking at Friday.

edit: update moved to next week: http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5354

quote:

Delay for this week's patch(10/6)
Unread postby jig » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:50 am

This patch requires some new non-progamming content which has to be done on my dev PC, which won't be delivered until next Tuesday because of the move(originally thought to arrive this Tuesday). So I'll be moving this week's update to next week, and move forward with programming on my laptop until the PC arrives.

In the meantime, check out Vlad's progress on the new Gallimimus:
http://www.thestompingland.com/wip/gal1.jpg
http://www.thestompingland.com/wip/gal2.jpg

I mentioned that I favored the slightly darker top-half, similar to the voted concept here. But if enough people like this version then we'll keep it.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Week of 10/14

Jig posted:

The Stomping Land is back on Steam, for good this time ;]
I'll have this update out later this week. This is the month of optimization, so you can expect some heavy improvements in fps this week and for the next few updates. I'll need everyone running super smooth before I can kick in all the gameplay stuff.
I've also been making some solid progress a centralized saving database, instead of the current per-server system. I'll need this in place for next month's gameplay makeover.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

10/17/2014 Patch
- Improved HUD drawing performance
- Changed day/night lighting to a higher performance setup
- The tomahawk is no longer an equipable weapon, and is now used only for salvaging
- Added bare hands as the new default slot
- Reworked droprates to be more fair for common materials
- Various edits

E-Tank posted:

Is this game coming back? Can I once again let my heart open up to a world where my pack of velociraptors help me take down a pubbies camp while I screech with laughter and glee?

Sadly not yet. Looks like the dev is trying to make things stable before adding more dinos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Looks like the UE4 version is going to be a thing but saving will only be for that version

Jig posted:

The central database saving I've mentioned will end up being implemented into the UE4 version of the game only. With that build getting closer, I'll just be using up a lot of space and time doing it twice, when eventually everyone will just be playing on one. So the final update for optimization month will center around the dinosaur AI, following plan, which will be out next week.

Just to clear things up, the switch to UE4 has nothing to do with graphics or the Rift. I'll be taking advantage of some broad technical features which will make a lot of sense as soon as it's out. And of course the UE4 version will be free.

Next month will be all about gameplay, so you can expect new features to freshen things up :]

Edit: The recent hotfix was for the scoreboard

• Locked thread