Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.thestompingland.com

What is this?

The Stomping Land is a in-development multiplayer survival game much like Rust or DayZ, minus the zombies, by indie game development studio SuperCrit. It was a Kickstarter project that started with the humble goal of $20,000 and got nearly $100k more than the initial goal. Recently it was approved for Steam through Greenlight and is set for Early Access.

Players take on the role of a primitive human who use resources from the environment to hunt down prey to fulfill hunger needs, as well as needing to find fresh water to drink. Due to the multiplayer aspect, tribes can be formed and carving out a small civilization is at least possible. Over time, and with enough success, players will be able to eventually tame dinosaurs and use them as mounts along with other advantages.

Note the similarity in zero fucks given while riding a dinosaur.

To achieve this players need to earn what the game calls "Expertise", which is earned simply by surviving. The longer a player is able to live in the world, the more Expertise earned. Each dinosaur has their own requirements in regards to the types of Expertise. However dying loses all of a player's expertise making risk/reward a big mechanic.

Wait, the Dinosaurs sound like they're going to be buggy as hell.

From what has been shown, while the game is obviously still in development, that doesn't seem to be too big of an issue. According to the developers the Dinosaurs will "naturally roam the island on their own" while looking for food and will even travel in packs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube and on Twitch.TV that show off the game if you're concerned with how the dinos behave that give a good sense of the state of their AI and other related development.

How do I get my own dinosaur sidekick?

Due to a player being a tribal hunter, there are three tools they are given in finding a dinosaur. First there are bright stars in the sky. Most of the dinosaurs have their own bright star projected which represents the location of that dinosaur. When you see stars converging, there's a potential dino-on-dino hate crime about to happen. These stars though, don't indicate what type of dinosaur they correlate to, making using the other tools just as useful.

A hunter is also able to find the different types of footprints, which helps pinpoint the location of their target. Though knowing what footprint applies to what dinosaur is needed. In addition to this, larger dinosaurs have distinct vocalization which can be heard from afar. Meaning you can hear that Carnotaurus coming right at you.

Playing with your friends while in loincloth

The developers have stated that players can form a tribe, in which the members benefit from the resources everyone gathers to survive. Part of what the tribes attempt to do is upgrade their totem, which is a mechanic used to enable the tribe to tame larger dinosaurs. Invariably, this in turn yields itself to a heavy PVP or Team-Vs-Team component as tribes will want to invade each others campsites to delay the advancement of a rival group. There have been several videos on this, which can lead to awkward situations like accidentally hitting your tribe mate with a bolas.

The game is also set up so private servers can be created much like Rust or DayZ, making a Goon server a possibility if someone wants to orchestrate that.

What kind of dinosaurs are going to be in the game?

SuperCrit have made a page showing off some of the dinosaurs they intend to include

http://www.thestompingland.com/dinosaurs/

Sounds great when is it out?

The Stomping Land is set for a May 30th release through Steam's Early Access Program. A final release date is TBA.

Media

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU0aT_BatMk
Big rear end Puertasaurus size comparison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2YKWdUO56w
Example of raiding another tribe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSmyZ3mBLQ

In-game images

:siren:The "What The Hell Is Happening" Update:siren:

So after about three, maybe four months, of quite literally no updates or communication from the development team the game was ultimately pulled from Steam (at about month three mind you) making this one of the weirder and more embarassing failure of a Kickstarter title.

However, there is hope as the main developer, known as "jig", posted an update explaining that for the past three months the team attempted to move everything from Unreal Engine 3 to the recently released Unreal Engine 4 to solve issues such as optimizations, and so forth. Jig explained that "It was early enough into the project where this switch seemed feasible in just a few months of hard crunching." Yet after three months, they hadn't completed the goal and realized there was a lot more work to be done to "justify this kind of an upgrade."

Basically, the new toy came out in UE4 and Jig wanted to start moving over to it but then realized it'd take a lot longer to port and without all of the other aspects of the game completed he'd be leaving the supporters and backers in the dark. No mention of the 3-4 months of silence from him and his team though. With that out of the way, he promises to keep active with the updates and said a new update was immediately out and that the work on moving The Stomping Land to UE4 is still in the works.

What was in the first update in around a quarter of a year?

quote:

- Added the Puertasaurus
- The Gallimimus and Stygimoloch can now be knocked out with 1 arrow
- Reduced the potency of small-meat consumption to a forth of its previous effect
- Expertise is now gained from hunting(amount is creature dependant)
- Removed passive expertise gain
- A stampede is now always occurring on some part of the island

So yeah.....this is still sort of a thing I guess.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reserved for updates.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put a couple of hours.

As stated, there's a lot of features that are promised that ended up not being included in this build. The devs stated that they took some of the stuff out to refine and so forth. I'm digging a lot of it, but it's also a bit lame that the "terrifying dinosaurs" aren't that terrifying and only a few have been spotted to do damage. Still though, for a game that's still a work in progress it's got a lot of potential.

Edit - It's pretty drat comical that my group of three friends were able to capture and contain a few of the other players to the point they got mad and raged quit the server. That's gotta be worth something.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can still drag them into water and drown them if they don't get their head from out of the water quick enough.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently some of the dinosaurs that are supposed to do damage to you and such are bugged, or at least they were on the server I was on. I "somehow" managed to bring back 4 Carnotaurus' to the camp myself and some friends made where we just sat there for about 20 to 30 minutes watching them run around in circles trying to eat us but failing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zsinjeh posted:

but it still really feels alpha as gently caress

They do say it's an alpha build on the main menu, and they openly stated that on the Steam page it's still buggy and alpha as hell and really the only reason you should want to buy it at present is to support the game development etc.

As for the camouflage, they took that and some other stuff out for this build while they work on it more and such.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

always be closing posted:

Im wondering this as well. How bad is night time currently?

It's dark but not as pitch black as Rust or DayZ. You can still see stuff at night, though it's obviously a bit harder. The day-to-night, and vice versa, animation for the lighting is hilarious given the current build. It basically goes from "it's really dark" to "oh god it's daylight" all of a sudden.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 2, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TwingeCrag posted:

So the feature where you gain 20% of your opponent's exp when you spear them and they lose all of it makes this essentially my favorite early access thing out right now. The goal every time I go to a server is make a spear and go on a hobo frenzy until I can ride a T Rex. :black101:

Carnotaurus :colbert:

T-Rex's aren't in the game yet

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh dear god, they're adding a Titanoboa

http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2038

quote:

Some may have seen Jurrasic4LIFE's post on Titanoboa. This guy will in fact be the 15th creature. Like the previous 14, Titanoboa will provide a new edge of creative problem solving that will be awesome to work on. Vlad once again knocks this model out of the park, check it out:

Real world info on the beast - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanoboa

Edit - If we can seriously make a sacrificial pit with a Titanoboa chilling there waiting to devour a captured player this will make Stomping Land a Game of the Decade :allears:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 4, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of refinement/tweaking to backend stuff, nothing major int he way of content but this is all good poo poo to have fixed anyway.

quote:

- Added new inventory framework* (default: spacebar)
- Updated world lighting
- Boxes and torches will now disappear if left idle
- Fixed a bug that was locking tribe chat
- Hunters can now only be dragged if they are bolas'd first
- Fixed community tab sometimes connecting to the wrong server
- Added server name to the players menu
- Fixed a bug allowing hunters to build multiple totems
- Fixed a limited number of servers being displayed in the browser
- Added missing redistributables on initial launch
- Fixed a case that was rejecting the user from joining new servers
- Optimized and reduced midsize foliage
- Optimized hunter content to consume less bandwidth

* The new inventory in this build isn't functional with items yet. The content added here over the coming updates will house all the customization, item crafting, dinosaur knowledgebase etc.

http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2622#p34796

It looks like, given the trend of the last three patches, they aim to have a patch out at least every Friday which is nice :unsmith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

So, are we dead here? Is the quality improving?

There hasn't been a big update for a while so there's not much happening other than running around and killing people while trying to figure out how best to take down a giant dinosaur.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Esroc posted:

So I'm hearing rumblings around the internet that the devs cut and ran. Any truth to this or are the devs just too busy to pander to the pubbies and its pissing them off?

I want to believe it's the latter, but as stated the evidence is supporting the former. Pretty lame, but maybe this along with other issues with Early Access will make Steam not want to pursue that path anymore.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

Arma 3, Prison Architect, Xenonauts, Space Engineers, Wasteland 2 and Starbound.

These are some other early access games, too. Just as a reminder.

The whole concept is clearly labeled and it also is separate from full games. It fails some and makes some.

lovely, no denying. But certainly not the defining characteristic of Early Access.

Bohemia Interactive have a long track record of completing their Arma games. Prison Architect devs also have a history of making games that were successful (Defcon for example). Wasteland 2 is being done by Brian Fargo who has been making games since the late 1980s, prior to Wasteland 2 his studio worked on A Bard's Tale back in 2004. Space Engineers devs made Miner Wars. Xenonauts devs are the only ones you listed that have no previous experience in making games that I can find. That's not to say unknown or indie devs are all incompetent, but if they're asking for money and have a bad track record or no track record at all then it's sort of suspect.

The devs for The Stomping Land had no track record for example, and that's part of what I was getting at. I was just speaking in the sense that, there are issues with untested developers doing Early Access and either delivering a buggy unfinished product or just just bailing on the project all together. It's not Steam's fault per se but the vetting process seems to be really weak. I mean look at them putting up, taking down, and putting back up [s]The War Z[s] Infestation or even Air Control despite them being huge piles of poo poo. Steam doesn't have to be overly restrictive, but going "yeah this game that's a buggy piece of poo poo you bought despite our promotion/marketing of it on our store front? you don't get a refund for that" (which is Steam's policy) is sort of hosed. Oh well, best bet is to let someone else buy the game and waste their money it seems.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carnivorian posted:

And crowdfunding makes another victim

I would hope Valve would know better than to enable these broken, unfinished and unplayable games for once.

Shadowrun Returns is still unplayable to me even months after I bought it and its expansion in hopes of it fixing something.

loving disgraceful.

Shadowrun Returns works fine. You're the first person I've heard complain about it but that's neither here nor there.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E-Tank posted:

. . . Holy poo poo, I was enthralled and had my heart broken within 10 minutes of reading this thread. :smith: Goddammit.

There was some interview the head of the game dev group did with like Kotaku Australia or whatever (dude is based out of Florida so that's also confusing) that said "the reason for the lack of updates is we're swapping over to Unreal Engine 4 (new game engine) blah blah blah." Don't bother paying for it, wait til more news comes or just forget about the game until it's actually finished.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm a bit peeved he's like "here's an update guys" and sort of ignores the fact a lot of people bought the game via Steam and can't play nor did he offer any codes to download the game as a third party program.

Edit - There definitely had to have been some behind the scenes clusterfuck going on. That or literally everyone from Florida (where they claim to be based out of) is incompetent with running a startup.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i like tacos posted:

Why can't you play via Steam? You're not allowed to buy it anymore but you can still get updates and play.

The game has disappeared from my Steam Library it appears. Am I just failing Steam or is there actually a way to redownload it?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that did it. I'll try out this update but really, they spent 3 months doing gently caress all so I'm not too hopeful they'll have much of anything in another year.

Edit - Updated OP with info on the news and game update. I'm still highly skeptical.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, the game is kinda officially dead at this point. RIP IN PISS.

• Locked thread