Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Uranium 235 posted:

came here to post this

Drugs are neat, and you can buy them relatively cheap.

Is this thread really dying already?

Other topics we could talk about : punk compilations, Manic Panic hair dye, Warped Tour, or if anybody actually liked Me First and the Gimme Gimmes!

For instance, did you know there was a Fat Wreck Chords compilation released in 2010 called "Harder, Fatter + Louder!"? It's the 13th compilation they've released! It's weird how time didn't stop when we stopped giving a poo poo about Fat Wreck Chords compilations. And Punk-O-Rama apparently went up to 10!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
everything before Valuum was okay except Maximum RocknRoll which is terrible.

better punk: The Queers, Screeching Weasel, Teen Idols, SNFU, and pretty much anything from the 80's

Pennywise is garbage

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
As a punk band being around for so long it was probably inevitable for NOFX to start doing political songs.

As for compilations Short Music for Short People was cool.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

tranime scholar posted:

punk's not dead

punk died when everyone that used to get uppity and offended by it stopped giving a poo poo

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

JawKnee posted:

punk died when everyone that used to get uppity and offended by it stopped giving a poo poo

there are always new people to offend

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies rule and I have their new album that just came out. Also Guttermouth and The Vandals are recording new albums. Bad Religion did a really weird/ awesome christmas songs cover album last winter.

Punk was stillborn.

You can get a double CD set called Wrecktrospective from Fat Wreck Chords that is like a best off of all this terrible poo poo.

Also the leader of No Use for a Name croaked so there's a tribute album with a bunch of these bands doing covers of NUFAN poo poo.

This is the best song from there imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwCsEoIRn_U

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I liked Guttermouth when I was like 17, but after a while their schtick got kind of old. Like listening to Madball. The Vandals are okay, but again, their earlier stuff is loving awesome and their later stuff just gets kind of lame. And while I like some Bad Religion they have never been good, mostly as a function of never learning to play their instruments.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

alien ant farm was pretty rockin too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKQWaLI0xU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oh poo poo the Queers and the Dwarves are coming to town soon too, totally catching that

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Short Music For Short People is the only punk comp worth its bones imo.

The Bollweevils and Lawrence Arms.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Steak posted:

Short Music For Short People is the only punk comp worth its bones imo.

eh?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

also, someone drew Milo on the whiteboard at work and i have no loving idea who, since i honestly can't think of a single other person there besides myself who would have the faintest idea who the Descendants are :iiam:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

together on the sand
we walked hand in hand
on the beach front
she smiled at me
as she tightly held my hand
i had my fingers up her-

country music played on the radio
so i turned it off
we walked down to the water
as she grabbed on to my honker.....

a wave swept us away

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

friend of mine successfully convinced a student DJ to play Please Play This Song on the Radio on the college station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmFgnQ0H_4Q

it's too bad that he was reasonably quick on dumping it just when it got to the relevant part

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I stopped seeing them live after I cracked a rib at a NOFX gig once, because my old bones are too brittle and

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a kitten posted:

also, someone drew Milo on the whiteboard at work and i have no loving idea who, since i honestly can't think of a single other person there besides myself who would have the faintest idea who the Descendants are :iiam:

"Hope" by the Descendents, aka "Nice Guy: The Song"

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

a kitten posted:

You know how half the people with four bars tattoos don't even listen to black flag, prob one of those things, just a doodle fan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like FIDLAR they sing about being a lovely dude that's broke, constantly hosed up on drugs and I can relate to that.p

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like FIDLAR they sing about being a lovely dude that's broke, constantly hosed up on drugs and I can relate to that.p

ya enough their not really my type of music, but i really like their sound and i can sympathize with their lyrics...same with Parquet Courts.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NOFX was/is okay I guess but really Screeching Weasel was probably the best pop punk band ever. Unfortunately, Ben Weasel is the biggest pussy in the history of the world, and he turned into a froth-at-the-mouth Republican the second he moved out of Chicago, and he's a girl puncher.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

One time Fat Mike got on the elevator I was on and begged everyone on the elevator for Ambien.

I lied to him, I actually had Ambien. Sorry Mike of the fat variety, I hope you slept that night.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I was at a Chinese restaurant tonight that was playing My Heart Is Yearning.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I was backstage at a Warp Tour many years ago and got a chance to take pictures of El Hefe and Fat Mike riding around on Mini bikes - El Hefe crashed his into a woman

Then the lead singer of Flogging Molly gave me a Guinness and I got a picture of me and him and that Guinness.

Also NOFX played a short version of The Decline and it was pretty good

and Aaron Barrett of Reel Big Fish looked at me because I screamed at him really loudly.

All in all it was a good concert.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
the first time I saw nofx they played the decline in its entirety, it was great

the second time fat mike shat himself with bloody poop after they took a "cocaine break." it was also great

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

NOFX is great because they don't give a gently caress, they know you know they don't give a gently caress, and they don't give a gently caress about that, either. Fore reference, see the songs 60% and 60% reprise.

I used to like them 14 years ago or so in high school, but have recently started getting back into them, namely The Decline because it rocks your face off while still having an awesome message.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
That's called a mid-life crisis.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

MondayHotDog posted:

Yeah if only Stza wasn't the worst person on the planet.
I don't really care, I just like the music itself.

EbolaIvory posted:

Leftover Crack is pretty rad too.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same band, but LOC has some more crust punk influenced songs, and a lot of interlude things at the start of or end of songs, sometimes with different instruments like pianos. Other than that it's pretty much the same band. At first it was called Crack Rock Steady 7, which only has 1 EP. I think the first ska band stza was in was No Commercial Value. He also did Star loving Hipsters after, but it's nearly not as good.
Ezra did INDK and Morning Glory, and also american distress but I've never listened to that one.
Than you have other bands with the same style like The Infested, No Cash, Dead Rejects and Atrocity Solution.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

CombineThresher posted:

NOFX was/is okay I guess but really Screeching Weasel was probably the best pop punk band ever. Unfortunately, Ben Weasel is the biggest pussy in the history of the world, and he turned into a froth-at-the-mouth Republican the second he moved out of Chicago, and he's a girl puncher.

hey its all good I enjoyed screeching weasel too before everything went bad

Cosmos
Jan 8, 2006

All that is or was or ever will be
Saw them at House of Blues back in December. Show was great. Been a fan since I was a teenager.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
When they played in London they demanded that my friend crowd surf...... Watch this video to see why....

http://youtu.be/Sohg5dIXFBw

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
the rancid/nofx split

matt freeman singing don't call me white is like tom waits fronting a punk band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW8h4QwsIaU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gaz2k21 posted:

When they played in London they demanded that my friend crowd surf...... Watch this video to see why....

http://youtu.be/Sohg5dIXFBw

Hahaha, that wasn't something I've seen before! I miss all the energy at punk shows, it was cool seeing the entire floor moving. Even really energetic bands like the Hold Steady I've seen a half dozen times and I never see everybody moving like that anymore.

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

matt freeman singing don't call me white is like tom waits fronting a punk band

is this a good or bad thing?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tristesse posted:

You can get a double CD set called Wrecktrospective from Fat Wreck Chords that is like a best off of all this terrible poo poo.

this owns for poo poo like the star loving hipsters demo where they didn't have the lyrics yet so the one dude just goes "blah blah blah" to the melody

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aeternum posted:

is this a good or bad thing?

i mean tom waits covered a ramones song and the ramones covered i dont want to grow up for their last album so

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My vagina has two sets of lips / but I don't get monthly blood drips.

Worst NOFX couplet ever?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

FreudianSlippers posted:

fidlar own for the reasons you outlined

also one of their music videos has nick offerman pissing on stuff which is also awesome

wavves are pretty cool too but they dont get me pumped in the same way songs like cheap beer and cocaine do

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bad Religion's newer stuff is OK. Process of Belief was fuckin awesome though, and the last few have just been kinda generic, but at least they're not offensively terrible like that loving Green Day album where they have a song that uses the riff from Full House in it

NOFX's last few albums have been pretty poo poo though, same with Rancid (even though Rancid are still really great live and play a ton of their older poo poo). I saw Matt Freeman playing bass for Social Distortion once and it was amazing. Fistbumps to anybody who talked about the 2000 s/t Rancid album, it's their best album by far.

the first punk song I ever heard was a cover of California Dreaming by some Japanese pop-punk band on a Fat Wreck compilation, that poo poo got me through high school (even though the 6 other punk kids at school called me a poser because of how fast I embraced it and got into punk)

Also Manic Panic was shite, washed out after 2 weeks. I did get their UV-reactive red dye by accident once, so that was fun! The best stuff tbh was the brands they sold at Hot Topic, even though I hated going in there.

A few times in high school I tried liberty spiking my hair but I'm pretty sure I twisted the spikes so much I ended up looking like Coolio instead

I hope you have enjoyed my musings re: punk rock and punk rock hairstyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Fistbumps to anybody who talked about the 2000 s/t Rancid album, it's their best album by far.

Back in my BMX day's I used to have that album at the ready for whenever I had to ride anywhere fast.

I still maintain the best Rancid related album is Lars Frekriksen and the bastard's album Viking.

• Locked thread