Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

Back in my BMX day's I used to have that album at the ready for whenever I had to ride anywhere fast.

I still maintain the best Rancid related album is Lars Frekriksen and the bastard's album Viking.

Their first album was better than Viking IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Their first album was better than Viking IMO

For real, the first album has the great Billy Bragg cover and the weirdness of 10 Plagues of Egypt and some good sentimental punk memories. Viking has that song about stabbing and didn't the cover have like Asian hookers on it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Bad Religion's newer stuff is OK. Process of Belief was fuckin awesome though, and the last few have just been kinda generic, but at least they're not offensively terrible like that loving Green Day album where they have a song that uses the riff from Full House in it
yeah their newer stuff is good enough for me to keep listening to them without feeling ashamed, even though Process was their last really good album

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

hey is flogging molly cool? everyone loved dropkick murphys but other than blackout they were pretty whatever imo

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
punk is really good and also was

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

the guy from flogging molly let me take a selfie with him and then gave me a guinness

i was like 17 so it was cool

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Otacon posted:

the guy from flogging molly let me take a selfie with him and then gave me a guinness

i was like 17 so it was cool

good enough for me to assume flogging molly is pretty cool thank you :)

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
didnt greg graffin play with his dong on a webcam talking to some fat punk girl

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MOOBS! posted:

good enough for me to assume flogging molly is pretty cool thank you :)

their poo poo can get a bit samey after a bit, but it's okay. dropkick Murphy's edge them out there.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Going to see Flogging Molly in a tiny little venue in a poo poo town in England tomorrow.

Gonna be sweet. Once saw Strung Out there and it was empty, like 50 people max. Kinda sucked cos Stung Out own.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
supports my head
gives me something to belieb

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

MOOBS! posted:

hey is flogging molly cool? everyone loved dropkick murphys but other than blackout they were pretty whatever imo

Do or Die is DM's best album cause its with the old singer from street dogs

flogging molly is like guinness flavored bubble gum or something

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014
when compared to dropkicks do or die album, flogging molly is for kids

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Flogging Molly uses a wide range of instruments, and their music has a lot more Celtic influence beyond "punk band with bagpipes". They are musically superior to the Dropkick Murphys. But both are fun to listen to.

Kantoran
Mar 28, 2011

donkyhug donkyhug donkyhug
donkyhung donkyhug
donkyhug
I love INXS!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Neither of them are The Pogues so really it doesn't matter anyway.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
the thing about DKM is that everything from blackout on is Bad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

Neither of them are The Pogues so really it doesn't matter anyway.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Steak posted:

the thing about DKM is that everything from blackout on is Bad.
the thing about DKM is that everything from after you lose your virginity on is Bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gently caress Your Website posted:

the thing about DKM is that everything from after you lose your virginity on is Bad.

Do or Die and Sing Loud, Sing Proud were so awesome when I was in high school

Then I moved to Boston and my god they are loving EVERYWHERE

I'm not even talking about that stupid Shipping Up to Boston song either, everywhere you go people are just loving apeshit about them. They're like the Che Guevara t-shirt of punk rock around here.

If you want to obsess over a good Boston punk band listen to the Ducky Boys or Dead Cats, Dead Rats or something, christ.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 12, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bozza posted:

Going to see Flogging Molly in a tiny little venue in a poo poo town in England tomorrow.

Gonna be sweet. Once saw Strung Out there and it was empty, like 50 people max. Kinda sucked cos Stung Out own.

I saw Strung Out at a skating rink. Like 20 people showed. Loved living in a small punk rock town. There was always decent bands playing small gigs. Strung Out used to not give a gently caress, they would play anywhere. But then again this was a billion thousand years ago because I'm old.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Do or Die is DM's best album cause its with the old singer from street dogs

flogging molly is like guinness flavored bubble gum or something
street dogs are real fuckin good, saw them supporting flogging molly in glasgow's barrowlands a few years ago (along with skindred lol)

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZiCcS_ARaA

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I saw strung out headlining with frenzal and they phoned it in, frenzal owned as they always do

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Flogging Molly uses a wide range of instruments, and their music has a lot more Celtic influence beyond "punk band with bagpipes". They are musically superior to the Dropkick Murphys. But both are fun to listen to.

i agree both are fun. i guess i just prefer the punk influence to be heavier than the Celtic influence

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Captain Matchbox posted:

I saw strung out headlining with frenzal and they phoned it in, frenzal owned as they always do

I've never listened to Frenzal Rhomp but Less Than Jake's song "Jay Frenzal" is awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
avril lavigne

bottybot
Feb 28, 2013
lol at everyone calling all these lovely guitar-pop bands "punk"
That includes Choking Victim and Leftover Cack

Fat Mike is routinely rude and unpleasant to his fans though, so I suppose that's kind of cool.

Also, the Dropkick Murphys are the most laughably bad and hackneyed plastic paddy band after house of pain. Celtic punk is for Germans anyway. They love that poo poo there.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Jump around is the best punk song ever

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bottybot posted:

Fat Mike is routinely rude and unpleasant to his fans though, so I suppose that's kind of cool.

Also, the Dropkick Murphys are the most laughably bad and hackneyed plastic paddy band after house of pain. Celtic punk is for Germans anyway. They love that poo poo there.

heavens to murgatroyd this guy's even more punk than me
:monocle:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bottybot posted:

melody = not punk

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

did NOFX use any pedals or such? if so they arent really living up to the name :(

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always wondered if it was No-Effects or Nuffecks.

After years of thorough research I came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

quickest way to tell if someone has never heard of them

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good pop-punk:

Buzzcocks
Undertones
Sultans of Ping FC

The rest is pretty poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Most hardcore 80's stuff is fuckin awesome

also a lot of early 90's stuff like SNFU, eaaaaarly AFI, the first two Lagwagon albums, and other such stuff are cool too.

basically these bands should stop after like 2 or so albums when they lose all the aggression and dynamic feeling and learn how to play their guitars

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bottybot posted:

Ah yes noted guitar pop which is a thing band Leftover Crack

U r a tard

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

bottybot posted:

look at this care post

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good pop-punk:

Buzzcocks
Undertones
Sultans of Ping FC

The rest is pretty poo poo

I don't think The Buzzcocks count as pop punk unless The Clash also count as pop punk, which would be pretty lol if you actually think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo, this thread like punk aint dead (just kidding punks dead)

My friend who knows all the punk stuff recently brought up Cock Sparrer's "Shock Troops" and now it's becoming apparent that all punk was a sham (and that I kinda don't like early 80's punk)

• Locked thread