Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Yo OP, this is a great idea for a thread and I'm gonna post a detailed line-by-line critique of your story, but before I post it:

In order to keep this thread from getting hellishly long, want me to link my critique as a Google Doc link as is common in other threads? This seems prudent for pieces ~3000 words or more.

Or if you'd rather I slap a link up somewhere else, whatever suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

Hello Coma! Sorry about the delay on this - intermittent internet access at the moment. I did complete a line by line for you, which you can read here.

Overall: it's not bad. Confusing at points, needs to be about 10-20% shorter. Your characters and their plight rang true to me and you built up nicely to an ending that had a satisfying amount of creeping horror. In the end this story got a lot more right than it got wrong, and that's about all you can ask for in an early draft even if you're a good writer.

If you've got any specific questions about aspects of the piece you struggled with, let me know!

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

You're very welcome! I liked that piece enough that when you do get a chance to tool around with it, I'm happy to give it another go. There's a real solid foundation to that story and it hits the right emotional mark.

I've got a piece that yours reminded me of that I'll chuck up once I finish things up. You inspired me to go back and finish it and ditch my dumb old ending.

• Locked thread