Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

What's worse, somebody still living with their parents at age 30 or somebody who never learned how to drive??

they are invariably the same person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I miss my jeep :((

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

naem posted:

I miss my jeep :((

are you a rapist?

naem
May 29, 2011

Aspiring

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Smoking_Dragon posted:

What's worse, somebody still living with their parents at age 30 or somebody who never learned how to drive??

when they never leanerd to drive because they are autistic and MOM I NEED YOU TO TAKE ME AND MY SMELLY FRIENDS TO AN ANIMAY CON

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
One down, five up, like the Lord intended.

Unless this was a topic restricted to those shift with their hands.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Smoking_Dragon posted:

This is some sort of quantum super position of loserness, soon as you try to look at it the entire thing collapses into a fuckup singularity.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm not some fat retarded American so I drive manual.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
has anyone made the "i blew a trany in my car on the way to work today" joke yet?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like driving a manual makes you more "in control" of a car, you know what I mean? Sometimes I feel like a pilot with my stick shift and multiple pedals and whatnot.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I got my first manual car almost a year ago. It was awesome when I lived out in the country and only encountered traffic when I went into town for groceries. It was all windy empty roads, some paved, some dirt.

Now I live in congested suburbs and it kinda sucks. If I allow enough space to let my car creep along in traffic, someone immediately shoves their car in front of mine.

I still feel badass, though, even though no one I know can drive my car. Upside: no one can ask to borrow it!

Also, I drove my brother-in-law's automatic for a while recently, and while it was soothing, it also made me feel braindead. It's a CVT with no tach, so I didn't even get to see/feel gear shifts. I drove a CVT auto for ten years, too. How quickly things change............

you were warned fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 30, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Manual is awesome, except when you buy used. The previous owner was really, really hard on the clutch.

On the plus side, at least in North America, a manual transmission car is less likely to be stolen because relatively few people know how to drive it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I drive a manual Ford pickup but I make deliveries in an automatic work vehicle. At least once a week I will try to reach for the gear shift in the work van

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Bacon Hat posted:

auto with a +/- selector to the side of D. sorry tryhards, best of both worlds

the slow response time paired with still having to manually shift for no benefit. clearly the best of both worlds

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
People who complain about driving stick in traffic make me lol.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
+/- shifters in autos are a joke because they just override your commands. "Oh actually you want 3rd right now"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tango alpha delta posted:

Manual is awesome, except when you buy used. The previous owner was really, really hard on the clutch.

On the plus side, at least in North America, a manual transmission car is less likely to be stolen because relatively few people know how to drive it.

true, though there's very little car theft in NA period

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There is one and only one purpose for those stupid - / + shifters in autos and that is for descending steep grades. Otherwise they're totally useless.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Manual is fine if you're in a more flat/rural area but holy god I drove a manual once in the Bay Area and it loving sucked dick. Having to stop/start on a 45 degree hill every 10 ft in traffic is stressful as poo poo. Not to mention bumper-bumper traffic for an hour stragiht. Auto for life (or as long as I live here).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 30, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bacon Hat posted:

auto with a +/- selector to the side of D. sorry tryhards, best of both worlds

gonna make me cry dude

also, btw, no

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Casualty posted:

People who complain about driving stick in traffic make me lol.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I've never owned an automatic and i don't find driving in traffic a problem, my guess is either everyone bitching is a big sissy or driving a slushbox poisons your brain. i wouldn't know, and i don't want to know.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I drive through beltway hell routinely with a manual. Would never buy an automatic unless it's a CVT.

If you know what you're doing with a clutch, starting on hills isn't that scary. If you don't know what you're doing with a clutch, driving on hills is a great way to spend a lot of money on new clutches.

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

It's looks like real manuals are being replaced with sissy switches (paddles). Bunch of bs....it's getting harder and harder to find stick shifts.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

azreal posted:

It's looks like real manuals are being replaced with sissy switches (paddles). Bunch of bs....it's getting harder and harder to find stick shifts.

buy a motorcycle :q:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

spengler posted:

I drive through beltway hell routinely with a manual. Would never buy an automatic unless it's a CVT.

If you know what you're doing with a clutch, starting on hills isn't that scary. If you don't know what you're doing with a clutch, driving on hills is a great way to spend a lot of money on new clutches.

I will admit that getting in/ out of parallel parking spots on steep slopes has a pretty mighty pucker factor when you drive stick. One time I got boxed in with about nine inches of room on a 30° downhill slope and I thought I was going to gently caress my whole front end.

I'd rather drive for hours in lovely traffic than parallel park on a huge hill.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

modern manual cars have hill hold/assist anyway so if you're bad at hills there's really no excuse now

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to drive a manual and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

The Casualty posted:

I will admit that getting in/ out of parallel parking spots on steep slopes has a pretty mighty pucker factor when you drive stick. One time I got boxed in with about nine inches of room on a 30° downhill slope and I thought I was going to gently caress my whole front end.

I'd rather drive for hours in lovely traffic than parallel park on a huge hill.

I don't mean to get on a high horse but that was scary for like a year when I was 16, like you learn and practice and you get over it

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

How familiar are you, exactly, with the gear wars, OP?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Stick shift makes it too hard to eat, check email, and drive at the same time.

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

Idgi

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The thing people don’t realize about the gear wars is that it wasn’t really about the gears.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Xaris posted:

Manual is fine if you're in a more flat/rural area but holy god I drove a manual once in the Bay Area and it loving sucked dick. Having to stop/start on a 45 degree hill every 10 ft in traffic is stressful as poo poo. Not to mention bumper-bumper traffic for an hour stragiht. Auto for life (or as long as I live here).

I regularly drove up and down Divisadero in an old 5-speed. Driving in Chicago is so boring now.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Manual in the car, auto in the truck.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got my first manual this past August. My dad had to drive the car off the lot because I didn't know how to drive one. After a 30 minute crash course I was on my way. The next day was the absolute worst rush hour traffic I had ever seen in Houston so that was fun. Baptism by fire is the only way.

Manuals forever and always amen

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I didn't know how I would feel driving a manual car but now I cant see myself driving anything but.

Automatics are boring.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I had a manual worked on by a mechanic named Manuel.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Auto is for people who are not coordinated enough to be driving in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
ahh yes I definitely am gonna manually do something that I could program a computer to do more effectively than me, seems like a good thing to pay attention to

i also type documents on a typewriter with a manual line feed button, and i do my taxes on pen and paper

• Locked thread