Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

YellerBill posted:

Oh hey, with some minor editing it works for ~that other game~

This game has better graphics than History Channel's Dogfights™ and is therefore objectively more realistic so many of the arguments people have in the in-game chat are invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Thief posted:

This game has better graphics than History Channel's Dogfights™

I hate to admit it but at least one of the times I crashed while nuking player tanks with rockets in CARB was because I took a moment to admire the battlefield

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
gently caress this poo poo game (SB talk). Flew an IL-4 with mouse joy, dropped 2x 500kg bombs while going full tilt 100m above the ground. Killed 3 AI things and one :godwinning: tank. gently caress it. Going to have to slot in the Yoke and Track IR. In other notes: Flying the Yak-9t with mouse joy in SB is possible, but don't expect any kills with it. IL-4 is pretty okay though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

YellerBill posted:

I hate to admit it but at least one of the times I crashed while nuking player tanks with rockets in CARB was because I took a moment to admire the battlefield
This is my biggest problem in dogfight in CA. They're always at below 300 meters for the most part and it's really hard to see your aim and angle on an enemy sometimes when they fly over 15 tanks and various capture points and nametags show up behind him.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

YellerBill posted:

Oh hey, with some minor editing it works for ~that other game~
Come on now, it's never Red Army anything .pdf. It's always Tigerfibel.pdf. :colbert:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I just wanted to say I attempted to join LAME for shits and giggles. Was asked if I had stairs in my house :v: (I wasn't accepted into such a highly esteemed squadron, I guess)

Also combined arms is fantastic. Watching planes dogfighting overhead, bombers swooping in and unleashing their payload never gets old in a tank. You pilots are pretty neat... Until they hit the side of a mountain.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Stringbean posted:

I just wanted to say I attempted to join LAME for shits and giggles. Was asked if I had stairs in my house :v: (I wasn't accepted into such a highly esteemed squadron, I guess)

Unless you let someone know in mumble, the apps will get dismissed because we get get like at least one a day from a random pubbie responding to our moronic recruitment spam in chat.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Thief posted:

Unless you let someone know in mumble, the apps will get dismissed because we get get like at least one a day from a random pubbie responding to our moronic recruitment spam in chat.

Ugh! :effort: I'll jump on tonight then.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
To join LAME, you need a subscription to the Official MiG-3 magazine, and to follow the Official Avengers The Movie Twitter account.

Some goon asked me to link this in the OP, an idea which I don't particularly like. I forgot to make another first page post, so I hope you're happy with the second page! :v:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
haha, just flew my TB-3 and made it to the battle area in Kursk. Got shot down by a Player flak (SdKfz 6). It was glorious!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stringbean posted:

You answered with "Y-yes?"
loving of course I am going to reject you. Jeez.

If you can't even pass the goon test how are you gonna pass the LAME test?

Now write me a 50 page essay about deflection shots, armor penetration at distance and flightmodels.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Please tell us exactly how many :s:'s you have and the K:D ratios of the last 3 planes you complained about.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
cringing hard irl that people still use stairs in house as an actual thing

like I audibly groaned in real life

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

cringing hard irl that people still use stairs in house as an actual thing

like I audibly groaned in real life

Hey man, it works, so w/e.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Michaellaneous posted:

Hey man, it works, so w/e.

So wait is the correct answer;

Yes, I am lying at the bottom of them because some robot surprised me?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Goon challenge question in WT should be "Do you have ball in your belt?" and the answer is to link Thief's avatar :ssh:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Nitevision posted:

Goon challenge question in WT should be "Do you have ball in your belt?" and the answer is to link Thief's avatar :ssh:

I was thinking "What is a 50 ml erlenmeyer flask best for?"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dominic White posted:

I just played my first Combined Arms battle.

It uses Realistic's driving/flight models, but uses Arcade mode setups, so planes start in action and encounters happen within the first 30 seconds. And you have respawns (1 plane life, 1-3 tank lives). This is the best playmode and if they ever change it then I will track down whoever is responsible and devour their soul.

What I'm saying is 'Everyone play Tanks Realistic right now, it's what War Thunder should have always been'.

Well this is all I needed to be convinced to try this again! :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nitevision posted:

:aaaaa:

I actually really like that idea.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Oh god why is the Duck so bad. Who thought it was a good idea to have moped engines powering an airplane?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Player level 100 :toot:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Jesus the AAA on Karelia is insane. Brave enough to fly a duck in simulator? Well gently caress you! Here's 4000 flak rounds!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Its me, I am the pubbie :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you really want to fly in CA you need to let the bads and tankers weed out the AAA before you go in.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you really want to fly in CA you need to let the bads and tankers weed out the AAA before you go in.

Pretty sure the tanks can't reach like, 90%of the AAA.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I modded my joystick with magnets: News at 11 - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3550928&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post430345124

(I just didn't want to duplicate the content here. If I dun bad, tell me and I'll duplicate it.)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BuhamutZeo posted:

You let the pubbies kill/die to AAA, then when you spawn its all gone. In theory. Really you can bet the majority of AAA will still be alive to ruin your fun.

Ludicro posted:

Its me, I am the pubbie :(

I flip tanks all the time :saddowns:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Heavy bombers can pop the AAA from a safe'ish height, assuming they don't instead try to dive bomb tanks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Popping tanks with Chaika rockets is fun. Shooting down Stukas with a AAA truck is fun. Shooting people in the ammo rack is fun. Dogfighting above tank battlegrounds is fun.

Combined arms is a lot of loving fun.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BuhamutZeo posted:

On Karelia, Kuban and Ash River tanks can knock out like 90% of the AAA (100% in the case of Ash River). It doesn't happen in SB because they're in the trees, but in R.B. they can be targeted and hitting them is trivial. You need to give players a few minutes to get to spots that allow them to get LOS-- they can't hit them all from the spawns.

Ash river is a little different because the AAA is situated behind the spawns, so sometimes your side gets wrecked and nobody can get to a spot where they can see the AAA.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're on karelia , just immediately head out to sea and wait for player tanks to pop a ton of the AA. A lot of it is visible right from each spawn, so there will always be people killing it for free money out of the gate. Tool around for a few minutes then head in.

Unless you just get one shotted as soon as you spawn in, because that's totally a thing to.

e: Kuban has fewer AA emplacements and they're 20mm instead of 88s. Ash river has a shitload of 88mm AA all over the field, but you can easily use mountains to LoS it out at least.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Whos idea was it to do guardian angel simulator event?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Alright, flying the Zhukovsky with bombs loving owns. 360 no bombsite all day long.

Edit: Also, turn up your brighness if you're flying on some of these maps. It makes it look like you've been swimming in a chlorinated pool all day but you can actually see tanks.

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 30, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shine posted:

Popping tanks with Chaika rockets is fun. Shooting down Stukas with a AAA truck is fun. Shooting people in the ammo rack is fun. Dogfighting above tank battlegrounds is fun.

Combined arms is a lot of loving fun.

It really is. It's like all the most entertaining aspects of the game smooshed into one place, and with a lot of the boring stuff cut out.

Break it to me easy... Are the official forums flooded with idiots complaining that they've lost the thrill and tension of a 5-10 minute takeoff and climbing phase before the match proper begins?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

On Karelia, Kuban and Ash River tanks can knock out like 90% of the AAA (100% in the case of Ash River). It doesn't happen in SB because they're in the trees, but in R.B. they can be targeted and hitting them is trivial. You need to give players a few minutes to get to spots that allow them to get LOS-- they can't hit them all from the spawns.

Ash river is a little different because the AAA is situated behind the spawns, so sometimes your side gets wrecked and nobody can get to a spot where they can see the AAA.

Or use one of your own tank lives to do it yourself. Then charge into the enemy and rise like a phenix from the ashes. the typo might be intentional

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Flew my B-25 in simulator mode. It was actually pretty easy to fly it around, and I engaged some Stukas over Kursk. While I was shooting at them, I took a single hit that hosed up a mystery part of the airplane. I started losing fuel and the plane went into a dive, and although I recovered, I couldn't do much more than maintain level flight. The external gunner view showed no visible damage to the airplane, so I have no idea what the gently caress.

Flying a plane in full sim with a mouse isn't as hard as I thought.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Flying a plane in full sim with a mouse isn't as hard as I thought.

Please tell me exactly what you're doing because I'll be goddamned if I can make the plane do anything other than twitch all over the place. I can only imagine how terrible the results would be if I had to take off first.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah it's really not too bad. The hard part is actually spotting people on the ground and avoiding the hellswarm of AAA bots.

ChickenWing posted:

Please tell me exactly what you're doing because I'll be goddamned if I can make the plane do anything other than twitch all over the place. I can only imagine how terrible the results would be if I had to take off first.

You want to do smooth, gradual motions and not turn too hard. You'll get the hang of it after not too long. Try different planes out in test flight mode.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Combined Arms is awesome except for the fact that I have to play with stupid nametags in tanks RB and barely anyone plays planes SB. They need to combine planes RB with tanks SB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Combined Legs is pretty freaking great outside of spawn as a plane first thing you do in the match and you're dead Karelia hi I'm stating the obvious :smith:
(Don't plane first unless you're ready to stay away from AAA and dogfight)

I-153 moment: Most of the enemy team on Karelia Conquest down at the A slowly capturing it, giving me good time to drop my load right on their heads. Earned some points outta that. Groundsniffed the best I could, high-adrenaline flying and evading, great fun. Just gently caress AAA.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread