Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah it's really not too bad. The hard part is actually spotting people on the ground and avoiding the hellswarm of AAA bots.

You want to do smooth, gradual motions and not turn too hard. You'll get the hang of it after not too long. Try different planes out in test flight mode.

You also might want to use mouse joy, that's working pretty fine for me. Relative mouse doesn't work as good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

ChickenWing posted:

Please tell me exactly what you're doing because I'll be goddamned if I can make the plane do anything other than twitch all over the place. I can only imagine how terrible the results would be if I had to take off first.

Taking off was a bitch at first, but that was mostly because I'd start to take off and then over-correct when my plane pulled to one side, overcorrect for my corrections, and crash. After five attempts, I took off in the tutorial. Landed on my first try. So long as you know the basics of how planes work and keep calm, you should be able to fly.

I don't gently caress with any of the trim or any of that crap either because I don't care and have no clue what I'm doing. If I can do this, anyone can. I was using mouse joy and paying attention to the display in the center that tells you how the stick is currently oriented.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aw yiss, just managed to down a Stuka with the 57mm on the ZiS-30. That thing has an amazing muzzle velocity, so when one flew over my position it was pretty much just a matter of doing a 180°, then pointing and clicking. Now I really hope we'll get some of those truck-mounted Bofors 40mm AA guns eventually.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I haven't had any success rocketing tanks yet but I've strafed some AA guns and got a hit on a tank with a bomb. Also just shredded a Ju-87 with my cannons and then blew up a half dozen tanks in my T-34. Combined arms rules.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you really want to fly in CA you need to let the bads and tankers weed out the AAA before you go in.

The right answer is you bring a buddy in a seagull and let him mop it all up in about half a minute, because quad .303s are surprisingly effective against that junk, and also for some reason it never seems to hit you when you're aiming for it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Aw yiss, just managed to down a Stuka with the 57mm on the ZiS-30. That thing has an amazing muzzle velocity, so when one flew over my position it was pretty much just a matter of doing a 180°, then pointing and clicking. Now I really hope we'll get some of those truck-mounted Bofors 40mm AA guns eventually.

I'd be happy with quad .50s.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Subyng posted:

Combined Arms is awesome except for the fact that I have to play with stupid nametags in tanks RB and barely anyone plays planes SB. They need to combine planes RB with tanks SB...

SB should remain for only the true cyber-ace skygods, sorry.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I'd be happy with quad .50s.

Yeah I'm looking forward to those too.

E: Or the german quad 20's :getin:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wirbelwind :flashfap:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Once again for anyone wanting to fly sim planes!

:frogsiren: HOLY poo poo! :frogsiren:

Thrustmaster T160000, in other words the MOST BALLS-SHITTINGLY AMAZING cheap joystick, is on sale for 25 bucks!
25 bucks! You are practically losing money by not buying it now.

This will help you get airborne super fast and has also a hall-sensor for that super smooth, silky action.

GET IT! GET IT!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/353242/T16000M_Flight_Stick_Joystick

After you get this, please visit the DCS thread for modern simulator or pop into CTS mumble to ask the LAME channel about flying in War Thunder Sim Battles. All of us will be glad to help you get to the spergzone.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Going back to RB for planes (cause I still suck with the stick), and I have to say that nameplates are not as bad as they used to be during the CBT. I don't get to constantly see people through the thickest underbrush and rocks but it actually seems to work rather nice.

Also I can now paint my BT-7 bright red again and not feel bad about it.

:black101:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Is there any chance we can get something added to the OP to explain to nubs like me how to use the tank sights and range find in realistic/sim battles?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I was one of those people who only played arcade because RB was kind of dull for me. Climb, get rammed by a friendly, then get back in line got old fast. (And any game that goes "tab-out take a shower/eat/watch football/whatever isn't really my thing.) CA is proving incredible though. First time out with the I-153 I got a Stuka, a 110, a 112 then took out two player tanks. Moving onto the IL-2 I got two 109s, a 111 and some flak before eating a hillside. That's more RB action than I've seen since starting WT. The spectacle is a ton of fun too; planes wrecking, artillery and bombs going off, tanks ramming each other:iia:

Player flak seems lot more dangerous than aircraft right now. Been wrecked by that more than anything. (Or people starting in planes are absolutely terrible which is probably the case.) Still, AAA makes good revenge kill targets when doing tanks.

tldr; CA is the best and everyone should play it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Teal posted:

Player level 100 :toot:

I'm only up to the 60s, wtg.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vahakyla posted:

Once again for anyone wanting to fly sim planes!

:frogsiren: HOLY poo poo! :frogsiren:

Thrustmaster T160000, in other words the MOST BALLS-SHITTINGLY AMAZING cheap joystick, is on sale for 25 bucks!
25 bucks! You are practically losing money by not buying it now.

This will help you get airborne super fast and has also a hall-sensor for that super smooth, silky action.

GET IT! GET IT!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/353242/T16000M_Flight_Stick_Joystick

After you get this, please visit the DCS thread for modern simulator or pop into CTS mumble to ask the LAME channel about flying in War Thunder Sim Battles. All of us will be glad to help you get to the spergzone.

I need me a joystick for this and Elite: Dangerous, so thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ludicro posted:

Is there any chance we can get something added to the OP to explain to nubs like me how to use the tank sights and range find in realistic/sim battles?

Yes, I will add it. I don't really know about that stuff, except that the sights are accurate and every notch seems to be 100m. Each map has a different square grid size, but I will dig that post and put it to the OP a bit later.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ludicro posted:

There is literally nothing to explain. The stripes on the horizontal line are there to counteract wind which is not in the game. The notches on the vertical line are more often than not labeled with the distance in metres.

If you put the notch 200 over a tank that is 200 metres away it will hit. Done.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Am I going to have to switch all my measurements to Imperial when US/British tanks come out?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Ranging targets gets easier over time. Soon enough you'll be able to get a first shot within 100m of a tank 1.5km away from you just by eyeballing it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Michaellaneous posted:

There is literally nothing to explain. The stripes on the horizontal line are there to counteract wind which is not in the game. The notches on the vertical line are more often than not labeled with the distance in metres.

If you put the notch 200 over a tank that is 200 metres away it will hit. Done.

That part I understand, but is there a fairly reliable way of determining how far away a target is, or is it something I have to guestimate and learn over time?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Listen, all you need to know about tanks is that a T-54 is exactly 3.25 metres wide.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I thought the horizontal notches were for rangefinding? Like, a tank that is X notches in length is Y m away.

I think the US tank sights are measured in yards which is close enough to metres.

About the range markings on the sights being accurate, wouldn't it depend on the ammo you are firing due to different shell velocities?

Also has anyone had success hitting planes with spaa? I unlocked the gaz truck but I have no idea how much to lead and also what is the difference between the ammo types? I'm guessing basically one is an ap type round and the other is an he type round? Will I get to shoot black puffs of smoke at planes??

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Subyng posted:

I thought the horizontal notches were for rangefinding? Like, a tank that is X notches in length is Y m away.

About the range markings on the sights being accurate, wouldn't it depend on the ammo you are firing due to different shell velocities?

They can be used for rangefinding, yes.

The sight automatically adjusts for whatever ammo you have loaded.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Ludicro posted:

That part I understand, but is there a fairly reliable way of determining how far away a target is, or is it something I have to guestimate and learn over time?

Get good at estimating by playing the game

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Ludicro posted:

Honestly, learning based on the target size is probably easiest. There's also using the map grid to guess (grid size is map dependent) and the mil system on the sights, but I use neither and do just fine so you too can learn to use neither and do well.

Michaellaneous posted:

I just made a new skin for all of you :spergin: out there.

WIP, message me if you want it.

A cheatsheet. So you always have your armor pen values at ranges ready.
Best shot yet at :spergin:.

Thief posted:

Please tell us exactly how many :s:'s you have and the K:D ratios of the last 3 planes you complained about.
Trap sprung: if you've ever complained about three or more planes, you're blacklisted.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Does anyone else get an #82220002 or something error about every 2-3 games when joining a match? Since 1.41 dropped, about every 3 games I get that error right as I'm joining a match, after I wait through the queue. It kicks me out of the queue and I have to wait a couple minutes again. On the forums there's a few pubbies :byodood:ing about it, but their solution is to bitch and whine at Gaijin. Probably appropriate.

I just want to make sure its nothing on my end that I can fix. I tried opening up all the ports for WT in my firewall and on my router, and no dice. Once I get in a game, I have absolutely no problems, though.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Went into a combined arms game. First bombs I drop kill a KV-1, first time in the flak truck and I blast a tank. GOTY.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
Great OP, Azzie. Glad to see a new thread.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

So I'm having fun with BT-7 + I-15Bis and Proto T-34 (or Mod 1940) + Prem P-40.

Are there similar fun combos for the germans? Hs 129 should work well with the PzKpfe IV Ausf.H (which I really like for some reason), but I'm not sure If I actually will like the Hs 129 facing the death AAA and player SPAAGs.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Propagandist posted:

Does anyone else get an #82220002 or something error about every 2-3 games when joining a match? Since 1.41 dropped, about every 3 games I get that error right as I'm joining a match, after I wait through the queue. It kicks me out of the queue and I have to wait a couple minutes again. On the forums there's a few pubbies :byodood:ing about it, but their solution is to bitch and whine at Gaijin. Probably appropriate.

I just want to make sure its nothing on my end that I can fix. I tried opening up all the ports for WT in my firewall and on my router, and no dice. Once I get in a game, I have absolutely no problems, though.

Yeah, I get that too. I've seen it happen to teammates too. Hopefully fixed soon.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Shine posted:

Popping tanks with Chaika rockets is fun. Shooting down Stukas with a AAA truck is fun. Shooting people in the ammo rack is fun. Dogfighting above tank battlegrounds is fun.

Combined arms is a lot of loving fun.

Shooting planes down with actual tanks should be added to this list.

Knocking the elevator off a dive bombing plane with a TD is a wonderful feeling especially in SB.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Helping the pubbies win the sky in RB is an active hinderence to winning, because the enemy pubbies will all get in their tanks and take the points and your pubbies will be tooling around in their autism chariots, complaining that no one is playing tanks until they lose.

Outstanding.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Gealar posted:

Shooting planes down with actual tanks should be added to this list.

Knocking the elevator off a dive bombing plane with a TD is a wonderful feeling especially in SB.

I shot down quiet some tanks since the beginning of the CBT, but my favorite air kill I got today. Someone managed to crashland his Bf 109 next to me, i slowly turned my turret and finished it off. No skill involved, but immensly satisfying.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I decided to start loading a bit of HE in my T-34 in Combined Arms.
Then this happened.
:ussr: http://youtu.be/FhjOd43p-Vs :ussr:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

ProfessorCurly posted:

Helping the pubbies win the sky in RB is an active hinderence to winning, because the enemy pubbies will all get in their tanks and take the points and your pubbies will be tooling around in their autism chariots, complaining that no one is playing tanks until they lose.

Outstanding.

this unfortunately seems to be the case.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

YellerBill posted:

I decided to start loading a bit of HE in my T-34 in Combined Arms.
Then this happened.
:ussr: http://youtu.be/FhjOd43p-Vs :ussr:

It looks like the shell didn't even explode, just went right through and carried on past the bomber.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

unwantedplatypus posted:

It looks like the shell didn't even explode, just went right through and carried on past the bomber.

I lose track of the tracer after it hits/cuts through the bomber but I'm sure even 75mm HE rounds can punch through a bomber and not explode immediately considering how often I pump smaller caliber HE into planes for no effect :v:

e: I tried to go back and watch it from the bomber's perspective to check but the replay kept stopping indefinitely with "loading" in the corner

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

God I'm so loving bad with the Tiger in sim battles. Every time I run up against a a 57mm t34 I put one shot into them and do some damage, and they just unload 3-4 into me before I reload and they kill me 90% of the time. :saddowns:

Does anyone have any advice?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Are tanks replays broken or something? I was trying to gif a :sicknasty: moment in the T-50 but it just hangs after a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Since matchmaking in CA now puts you in the highest tier match you be in, there's basically no point to playing anything but your strongest tank since otherwise you're just gimping yourself. Right? What if I want to play lower tiers?

• Locked thread