Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Azran posted:

Did you purchase GE/Steam packs? If you take the cash back, Steam will ban you by the way.

If it's from Gaijin's store, who cares I guess?

I appreciate the heads up, you are a good person. I did buy the pack straight from the GE website though, not via Steam so all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Now the Italian P.108 with the anti-shipping howitzer would be nice, especially once there's boats to sink.

He-111 with wire-guided bombs. :getin: (I know that probably won't happen, but I can dream. It'd also be one way to make the He-111 not unredeemable dogshit.)

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Fauxtool posted:

When I switched from russian to german tanks I had to stop aiming at the center mass because that bounces on t-34s. go for headshots, the turrets are deliciously soft until you get to the t-44.

When you get up into the higher ranks of German you want to flip that because all the way up to T-44 all the T-34s have the same crappy ~45mm armor that the very first one has in T2. As they bet bigger guns their turret armor increases meaning its easy as hell to put a round through their soft squishy tank hull and puree all of their mans/ammo/modules(which you can always see because they can't hull down worth a drat).

I just lost a game in my panther A because while I had 9 player kills and 5 bot kills my entire team decided that they'd rather not kill anyone..

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, shooting the vision slit on the StuG is so ridiculously effective that I almost feel bad for doing it. At this point I actually want them to face me frontally rather than going for a side shot.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Goddamn, shooting the vision slit on the StuG is so ridiculously effective that I almost feel bad for doing it. At this point I actually want them to face me frontally rather than going for a side shot.

It literally works for every tank. I barely pennned a vision slot or MG port without instakilling the tank.

Worls best with the T28. The shrapnel round has a bad pen, but more than enough to go through a port. And then any tank just explodes violently. While the pubbies in their Pz3 and Pz4 can do poo poo. They do nothong to you while you slowly drive up to them, eating 3 or 4 rounds before planting one into them.

Carthatic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If I get one of those filters where every "pen" turns into "penis" and every "armor" into "goon-butt", this thread will be fun to follow again.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I just started playing a couple of weeks ago, and tried the tanks last night for a couple of hours. what the hell is the deal with the Rus tanks? I am guessing the devs , like in WoT have decided that all rus tanks are suppose to be OP. I lost count of how many times I shot a rus tank and did no damage 90% of the time and then was 1 shot, even in an S tank.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vendictus Prime posted:

I just started playing a couple of weeks ago, and tried the tanks last night for a couple of hours. what the hell is the deal with the Rus tanks? I am guessing the devs , like in WoT have decided that all rus tanks are suppose to be OP. I lost count of how many times I shot a rus tank and did no damage 90% of the time and then was 1 shot, even in an S tank.

But it is not like that.

The game is surprisingly balanced.
They were most likely superior players and this got the kills.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Um, anyone know what the poo poo happened to my game? The interface has shrunk the gently caress down and it's NOT COOL.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Orange Mage posted:

Um, anyone know what the poo poo happened to my game? The interface has shrunk the gently caress down and it's NOT COOL.

Yes, there is setting somewhere that let's you change the size of the interface.
Somewhere under Menu -> Options -> Interface.

It is either a percentage or "Small" and "Large."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

The Orange Mage posted:

Yup, had to change to small then back to large when I started it up today.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceBanditos posted:

When you get up into the higher ranks of German you want to flip that because all the way up to T-44 all the T-34s have the same crappy ~45mm armor that the very first one has in T2. As they bet bigger guns their turret armor increases meaning its easy as hell to put a round through their soft squishy tank hull and puree all of their mans/ammo/modules(which you can always see because they can't hull down worth a drat).

I just lost a game in my panther A because while I had 9 player kills and 5 bot kills my entire team decided that they'd rather not kill anyone..

Aren't you just repeating what I already said? Aim for the turret when fighting t-34s. Don't on the t-44

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I'm saying that you should not shoot them in the turret because they have lovely armor on their hull that can be penetrated by anything that Germany has above tier 2 from nearly any range (excluding the Ausf. M which does better closer), the same lovely hull armor never changes, however the turret armor does increase significantly as the T-34 matures.

This is what makes T3 Russians irritating as hell to play because you can be one-shotted by basically anyone from anywhere at any time if your hull is exposed, regardless of angle, to a much more common degree than say a Panther or Tiger.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 31, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Hah, so if I have Tier 3 planes and Reserve tunks in my hangar I get queued for Tier 3 combined arms fights. This seems slightly lopsided.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Hah, so if I have Tier 3 planes and Reserve tunks in my hangar I get queued for Tier 3 combined arms fights. This seems slightly lopsided.

Don't have planes that are higher.

Tve system is working as intended, deciding your level to be the highest you have.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

SpaceBanditos posted:

I'm saying that you should not shoot them in the turret because they have lovely armor on their hull that can be penetrated by anything that Germany has above tier 2 from nearly any range (excluding the Ausf. M which does better closer), the same lovely hull armor never changes, however the turret armor does increase significantly as the T-34 matures.

This is what makes T3 Russians irritating as hell to play because you can be one-shotted by basically anyone from anywhere at any time if your hull is exposed, regardless of angle, to a much more common degree than say a Panther or Tiger.

I actually find the opposite. Assuming you figure out the more significant arc on the 85mm shells I get much more consistent 1 shot kills with my Soviets in T2-3 than with my Germans.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Vahakyla posted:

Don't have planes that are higher.

Tve system is working as intended, deciding your level to be the highest you have.

I didn't think it wasn't. Just thought it was good to point out.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Vendictus Prime posted:

I guess you're just getting really unlucky because whenever I take out my russians, with the exception of the first T-34 and the T-50, I find getting one-shot killed is pretty common :v:

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Warbadger posted:

I actually find the opposite. Assuming you figure out the more significant arc on the 85mm shells I get much more consistent 1 shot kills with my Soviets in T2-3 than with my Germans.

When I said T3 Russians I should have specified the T-34s because the Su-85 is a great tank.

I never had much success with the 85mm at mid range (>500 meters) on the t-34 for anything other than side/rear shots until I got APCR. So maybe I just suck :shrug:.

The T-44 on the other hand kicks all kinds of rear end because it can actually deflect shells so you don't get exploded instantly.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 31, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Warbadger posted:

You know, I'd love a modern flight sim if they weren't all too drat spergtastic to enjoy. I remember the good old days of games like Janes ATF when I could fly fun airplanes with reasonably realistic modeling with reasonably realistic missiles (for the time at least) and not have to learn 9872597597 switches just to take off. I want a modern-day War Thunder-ish game where I can just skip to the fun bit of flying around shooting at things.

There's plenty of these on Steam. They range from bad (Ace Combat: Assault Horizon) to terrible (Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

YourAverageJoe posted:

There's plenty of these on Steam. They range from bad (Ace Combat: Assault Horizon) to terrible (Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters).

Well, all of them are either arcade to the extreme (Ace Combat) or really, really old (the Janes offerings). There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground with good world/performance/weapon modelling combined with an accessible interface like WT. Lot of people like tanks and planes, and they even want the tanks and planes they're playing to reflect reality to some degree. However, not a lot of people want to deal with the annoying parts like the steep learning curve to even drive the things (much less hit something with them) which is why games like Steel Beasts never manage to pull in many people while WoT and WT get large, stable playerbases.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

It's weird, at first when ground forces came out for the general public I felt like Germans always won, but now it seems a lot more balanced for some reason.
Maybe the Russians finally learned how to shot tank?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

organburner posted:

It's weird, at first when ground forces came out for the general public I felt like Germans always won, but now it seems a lot more balanced for some reason.
Maybe the Russians finally learned how to shot tank?

Bingo. I win more consistently in my Soviets than I do my Russian these days. Once you can instinctively adjust for range and hit on your first shot the Soviets tanks are fantastic, especially if you prefer a mobile play style.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Russian players are getting better, German players continue to be mentally handicapped nazis.

I wish the Germans had a plane like the Yak-9T to act as a multi-role. It's a great fighter which is also great at anti-tank duty.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Germans are very good at Sit Back and Camp Thunder.
Once you get up in tiers and you need to aim your Russian guns very carefully or flank to do damage. Meanwhile a German can sit back at the ridge furthest back, angle their armor diagonally at any tag/minimap icon they see, and use their ridiculous gun depression to penetrate the Russian armor anywhere.

It's true that the German tier 1 stuff feels weak compared to some of the Russian stuff.

In short, Russians need to L2P at tier 3 and Germans at tier 1(or grind past that).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Well, all of them are either arcade to the extreme (Ace Combat) or really, really old (the Janes offerings). There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground with good world/performance/weapon modelling combined with an accessible interface like WT. Lot of people like tanks and planes, and they even want the tanks and planes they're playing to reflect reality to some degree. However, not a lot of people want to deal with the annoying parts like the steep learning curve to even drive the things (much less hit something with them) which is why games like Steel Beasts never manage to pull in many people while WoT and WT get large, stable playerbases.

There's a new-ish Jane's game. It sucks and looks like this:

I can relate to wanting a Strike Fighters 2 clone with a proper campaign, but unfortunately most devs think it's either Ace Combat or DCS with no inbetween.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Wooper posted:

It's true that the German tier 1 stuff feels weak compared to some of the Russian stuff.
People keep saying this and I'm not sure where it comes from, the Panzer II will eat the T26 up every time once you get the HVAP belts, and consistently enough before that that it's really not an issue.
The BT-7 and T28 have paper for armor that's on par with the Panzer IVc and the ZIS-30 is Flakpanzer Ic levels of awful.
The T-50 is an amazing and wonderful machine but if you read the claims of some people it's like the Germans don't get a single decent tank before the Panther at which point the tree promptly becomes OP nazi bullshit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hambilderberglar posted:

and the ZIS-30 is Flakpanzer Ic levels of awful.

You take that back! The Angry Tractor is the best. You're small, hard to spot, colored right, and your gun will gently caress anyone. Also, you're an angry tractor, which is gravy. loving love the ZIS-30.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

YourAverageJoe posted:

I can relate to wanting a Strike Fighters 2 clone with a proper campaign, but unfortunately most devs think it's either Ace Combat or DCS with no inbetween.

That's exactly my point. Flight sims have strayed to either end of the spectrum rather than finding a happy medium, which is one of the reasons I love WT so drat much. They put effort into making the planes/tanks act like those planes and tanks yet you can fly and drive them with a minimum of hassle, making it a *fun* game.

Wooper posted:

Germans are very good at Sit Back and Camp Thunder.
Once you get up in tiers and you need to aim your Russian guns very carefully or flank to do damage. Meanwhile a German can sit back at the ridge furthest back, angle their armor diagonally at any tag/minimap icon they see, and use their ridiculous gun depression to penetrate the Russian armor anywhere.

In short, Russians need to L2P at tier 3 and Germans at tier 1(or grind past that).

That's true, but sitting back and camping with get you loving murdered by a competent player. I have had zero issues murdering angled German tanks with the 85mm. Unless they've perfectly aligned themselves to you specifically, you've either got a relatively straight on shot or a side shot. If they've angled the hull toward me, I just shoot the turret face which will inevitably *not* be angled, nor thick enough to keep out my 85mm explosive communism bullets. That method is only difficult at long ranges and the on open maps (Kursk) you're much more likely to catch their sides/front if they're sitting still anyways.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2014

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Can anyone else figure out why APCR for Russian T3/T4 Tanks is fairly comically priced? I mean it's coming in to the tune of 740 lions (T-34-85) and 970 lions (T-44) PER ROUND.... the German equivalent is in the neighborhood of ~320 lions per shot at the same tiers...

It's not going to bankrupt me but when I have to spend 170,000 lions to refill the APCR on the T44 I'm thinking that they should adjust it downwards just a bit..

The Tier 4 German TD's each have an APCR that's super expensive also (1100 - 1200 lions per shot).. so maybe it's intentional?

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 31, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh hey. An enemy tank that was shooting at me from very close range (but I couldn't identify because it was covered in smoke) had a blue nametag over it so I thought it was a friendly. Then the nametag disappears and it kills me. There weren't any other friendlies around. What the hell? The game just straight up tricked me with a false nametag.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Muslim Wookie posted:

Cut what poo poo out? It's a nick name that comes from being in a clan where we were all [Religion] Wookie, and I'm sorry you're some robot that thinks it's impossible to be attached to a nick. Additionally, one of the GMs had replied to me in General Chat pretty consistently since I first logged on - it's just some jerk in the last few days that can't take getting shot down and so chooses to do a false report.

So no, not "cut that poo poo out". I'll take my money back and change my name by way of registering a new account under a different name if I feel the itch to play again.

Goddamn dude nobody gives a poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Subyng posted:

Oh hey. An enemy tank that was shooting at me from very close range (but I couldn't identify because it was covered in smoke) had a blue nametag over it so I thought it was a friendly. Then the nametag disappears and it kills me. There weren't any other friendlies around. What the hell? The game just straight up tricked me with a false nametag.

Are you sure it wasn't Muhlump?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Having to play through Tier 3 as soviets is going to give me an aneurysm.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Muhlump?

I teamkill Michaellaneous, because he hasn't yet learned that shooting me up when you're on my team will result in me exacting revenge many times over. I figure if someone teamkills me or shoots at me and I then shoot them immediately after takeoff for like 4 games in a row, they'll knock it off one day.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

You take that back! The Angry Tractor is the best. You're small, hard to spot, colored right, and your gun will gently caress anyone. Also, you're an angry tractor, which is gravy. loving love the ZIS-30.

I wouldn't even say the first Flakpanzer is outrageously terrible. I generally manage to snag an airplane kill or two every time I take it out for a spin, though that might just be because everybody is flying at treetop level where even incidental damage to elevator or aileron will cause a crash. The gun's not very good against tanks, but no worse than the PzII's.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Longshot007 posted:

Having to play through Tier 3 as soviets is going to give me an aneurysm.

T-54-57 has been treatin me pretty rad so far and its got the good ammo out the gate sooOOO

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I wouldn't even say the first Flakpanzer is outrageously terrible. I generally manage to snag an airplane kill or two every time I take it out for a spin, though that might just be because everybody is flying at treetop level where even incidental damage to elevator or aileron will cause a crash. The gun's not very good against tanks, but no worse than the PzII's.
With the 140/1 existing there is no real reason for the Flakpanzer 1c, the open fighting compartment offers no benefit, the gun works fine if you can avoid being shot though :q:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

With the 140/1 existing there is no real reason for the Flakpanzer 1c, the open fighting compartment offers no benefit, the gun works fine if you can avoid being shot though :q:

Well, there's one reason for its existence: It doesn't cost any birdmoney :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Token Cracker posted:

This game loving owns. Combined arms loving owns. One of the most amazing things about this game is how extremely well the plane controls work with just a mouse and keyboard. I didn't think it was possible.

It's great that its equally as good for joystick nerds. So the same game can be interesting in totally different ways. If you don't care about kills or winning, joysticks can be really fun in that you're actually flying the plane and the crashes in this game are always spectacular, even in a flatspin.

Ciaphas posted:

D'you know what, after loving around to nearly zero success I'm getting the impression that it's the opposite: joystick is at something of a disadvantage in this game in anything that isn't sim mode.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, and granted I haven't used a joystick in a decade (and that didn't have rollyaw gently caress I KEEP GETTING IT WRONG), but still this poo poo is hard.

Joystick will always be harder than point and click. That's why its important that sim mode stay joystick focused. It's the only way to get into a game where everyone else on the same playing level in under 5 minutes of que time. Regular Sim ques take loving forever because at the most there will only be like 50 people in the entire matchmaker at peak hours.

Muslim Wookie posted:

It might seem petty but I've been using this name for almost 10 years now, feels wrong to change it.

That is probably the funniest reason to quit a videogame, Muslim Wookie.

If you need a name change, then just change it. One of the silliest things about online videogames are the names people choose to use. Like just imagine a guy sitting at the registration screen and seriously typing in "Tang0_Kill3r-429" as his name and he's really proud of it.

I came here to shoot stuff and crash vehicles, if I get chat banned (which has happened more times than I can count) then I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything... especially given the kind of people that actually use the chat in War Thunder.

Here are some examples of the vivid multicultural interactions seen in game:

chat is a toilet bowl of wikipedia quotes and miscommunication

• Locked thread