Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Let the wheels on the proverbial rumor mill begin spinning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plumtree
Jul 11, 2011

by Ralp
The win levels are about to reach epic.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

They're releasing a new album in april 2015. Can you say "Epic"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I came here to post this... but I figured someone would beat me to it.

Here's a link to the Rolling Stone article.

I'm excited as hell, but also very curious. FNM albums live in their own little worlds; listen to Angel Dust some time and try to wrap your ears around the fact that it was preceded by The Real Thing and followed by King For A Day.

(And you should listen to Angel Dust anyway. Greatest album ever, in my opinion.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

tarlibone posted:

I came here to post this... but I figured someone would beat me to it.

Here's a link to the Rolling Stone article.

I'm excited as hell, but also very curious. FNM albums live in their own little worlds; listen to Angel Dust some time and try to wrap your ears around the fact that it was preceded by The Real Thing and followed by King For A Day.

(And you should listen to Angel Dust anyway. Greatest album ever, in my opinion.)
I don't know King for a Day is pretty on par with Angel Dust in my opinion, mainly because its basically a more accessible Mr. Bungle album. Also god I hope they come close to Western PA when they do the US tour.

Man I wish Faith No More was just as popular in the US as they are in South America, Europe and Australia.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Patton is my favourite vocalist of all time which is hack to say because of how good and varied he is across all genres but it's true.

Gotta say despite, Introduce Yourself is an incredibly underrated FNM record. The vocalist on it did have a limited range musically for the band but there are some great tracks on it. The bass line to Anne's Song is one of my favs to play to warm up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

got dat wmd posted:

Patton is my favourite vocalist of all time which is hack to say because of how good and varied he is across all genres but it's true.

Gotta say despite, Introduce Yourself is an incredibly underrated FNM record.

I know. It's been buggin' me since the day I was born.

quote:

The vocalist on it did have a limited range musically for the band but there are some great tracks on it. The bass line to Anne's Song is one of my favs to play to warm up.

It really is a pretty cool album. I cringe a little inside when I hear Chuck Mosley "singing" most of the time, but there is a raw, funky tone in the music that's hard not to like. And the bass line in Anne's song is a great one to learn how to slap and pop on bass: nice easy tempo, it's not too crazy, and you basically do that one riff for most of the song. Great stuff.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I hate to say it, but I really didn't like the two new tracks they played live a few months ago. I did like that song Matador which they debuted a few years ago, so I'm still holding out hope that the album will be good.

Regardless, I will be seeing them live again if they come to the northeast. I caught them in Philadelphia in 2010 and they were fantastic, and Patton was in a great mood (although it's kind of entertaining hearing testy Patton bark at Puffy "Come on, start the loving song! Now!").

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
First single is out.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-faith-no-more-first-release-in-17-years-motherfucker-20141119

I... have no opinion on it really. I think it's a real bad choice for a single. It sounds like an intro, no real buildup, and I've never been a fan of the vocals-make-up-the-soundscape thing.
On the flip side, Patton sounds like he's lost nothing over the years, as good as he's ever been.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

NarkyBark posted:

First single is out.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-faith-no-more-first-release-in-17-years-motherfucker-20141119

I... have no opinion on it really. I think it's a real bad choice for a single. It sounds like an intro, no real buildup, and I've never been a fan of the vocals-make-up-the-soundscape thing.
On the flip side, Patton sounds like he's lost nothing over the years, as good as he's ever been.

Yeah, agreed.

I mean, at the same time I can see why they picked it as their first single in 17 years though. It's definitely FNM, i mean there is no way you can listen to that and think it is anyone else, it is almost a stereotype of a FNM song. It does definitely sound like the lead-in track to the album, and i hope it is, because that is an epic first song to hear the second you push play on what may be one of the most anticipated albums of 2015. What's with everyone who was awesome in the 90's suddenly making an awesome comeback?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I dunno, I kinda loving love it.

But yeah if this is the lead in track on the album, god drat

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Platypus Farm posted:

I dunno, I kinda loving love it.

But yeah if this is the lead in track on the album, god drat

I'm glad to hear that it sounds a little more like a cohesive song than a FNM jazz session from all the live festival recordings I had over the summer.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Give it about 10 listens, and you will be humming the hook for hours.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Mighty Horse posted:

Give it about 10 listens, and you will be humming the hook for hours.

Pretty standard for Faith No More. It took me a few listens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It's as much a lead in song as Stripsearch. In other words I really like it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm glad to hear that it sounds a little more like a cohesive song than a FNM jazz session from all the live festival recordings I had over the summer.

Yeah same.

I didn't dig it much in the 2014 shows, but I absolutely love this. No one I know is NOT going sending "GOOD BYEEEEE MOTHER FUCKER" texts

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, been getting lots of GET THE MOTHERFUCKER ON THE PHONE texts recently. Bizarre. When is the album out?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm really skeptical. I think Motherfucker on the Phone is really horrible, and I loooooove FNM/Patton. He just really hasn't been inspired/making music/making good music. I don't remember the last Patton-related record I liked.

The song sounds like a B-side, there's really just not much happening considering the buildup. Patton has said to let sleeping dogs die about FNM for years and years but honestly this kinda seems like a money grab. He's living in Italy with his wife and overseeing a venue in Hong Kong and really just resting on his laurels, which is absolutely fine, but to me this probably isn't a reunion based on, "I have so many awesome ideas, I'm so inspired, I just have to get the guys together again!"

I hope the album is good but I'm expecting it to be kinda lacking.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm really skeptical. I think Motherfucker on the Phone is really horrible, and I loooooove FNM/Patton. He just really hasn't been inspired/making music/making good music. I don't remember the last Patton-related record I liked.

The song sounds like a B-side, there's really just not much happening considering the buildup. Patton has said to let sleeping dogs die about FNM for years and years but honestly this kinda seems like a money grab. He's living in Italy with his wife and overseeing a venue in Hong Kong and really just resting on his laurels, which is absolutely fine, but to me this probably isn't a reunion based on, "I have so many awesome ideas, I'm so inspired, I just have to get the guys together again!"

I hope the album is good but I'm expecting it to be kinda lacking.

I thought so too at first, when they announced the reunion tour. But... holy hell, they've killed it every single time they played. The thing about money grabs is that unless someone NEEDS the money, there are a lot easier ways to make a few fistfuls of it than going through the whole bullshit about recording a whole album.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They probably make more than enough money from festival shows. Putting out an album is an excuse to tour the US, but at best they play mid-sized theaters here. I doubt it was purely for the money.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

I thought so too at first, when they announced the reunion tour. But... holy hell, they've killed it every single time they played. The thing about money grabs is that unless someone NEEDS the money, there are a lot easier ways to make a few fistfuls of it than going through the whole bullshit about recording a whole album.

Well I mean, it's not like it's JUST for money and they hate the whole process, but it's not like FNM needed to get back together to make another record, and none of the members had any interest until every band and their dog started making bank off of reuniting. You forget, Mike is very well off, FNM can record leisurely, at their own pace, with their own studio, and they are going to rake in dough touring.

What I'm saying is, if that song is representative of the quality of the ideas on the album, then it's half-assed and pretty crappy. I don't expect another Angel Dust but I would hope there would be some new interesting exciting stuff. Even their second new song which they've played at festivals, "Leader of Men," is kinda cool for a second but it sounds like a paint-by-numbers worse version of early Faith No More. These songs sound like they're from 1992 and in a bad way, in that they're not showing relevance or treading new ground.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 25, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Swans didn't reunite out of necessity, they reunited and reinvented their sound. They had unfinished business and an idea, a new vision of where Swans could go with their sound. They're a whole different band and they're 10x better than they were musically than when they last split.

Faith No More seems like it went from, "shut up about it, it's never going to happen, we're done" to "guys this international festival circuit wants us and this is how much we're offered, let's do it" to "hey touring with you guys feels pretty good, we should write some new poo poo and be a band again" and that's understandable and I'm not faulting the band for doing that, especially if the new poo poo is good. But so far, it's really not, and to me it just seems like an empty, "gently caress it why not make a record" in that sense.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doing this new album is a pretty stupid way to do a money grab, so I doubt it's that.

New song, while sounding like an intro, is ridiculously catchy and bizzare. Very much prime FNM traits. I love it but I'm sure there's better to come.

To the guy who said Patton hasn't been on creatively for a while, I'd advise listening to the latest Tomahawk albums and if you want to go back further, the DEP EP from, loving, ages ago. I think that's the best post FNM he's done, and I'm a huge fan of lots of his stuff (Lovage for example).

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

The last Tomahawk album was terrible and I'd agree that Mike Patton hasn't actually put out anything good for a while now. There was a period where he was on fire creatively and everything he was involved with was great, but it looks like that phase has passed and his recent material has been really uninspired and kinda phoned-in, which is the last thing I'd expect from someone like him. I can't blame anyone for being skeptical of the new FNM album to be honest. I'm excited and hope that it's great, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was disappointing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fair enough but I remember really enjoying the most recent tomahawk. Better than Anonymous.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Patton's movie scores have been pretty good, also his voicework as the Darkness was great, oh and that Secret Chiefs 3 song was also fun.

I really do love Mondo Cane though

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Peeping Tom was good too. Lots of excellent output.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've heard everything Patton. Last Tomahawk was bad and when you mention the Dillinger EP, which is amazing, you do realize it was released in 2002, with Patton at the tail end of his peak, and that in no way is it recent?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye. I said that. loving ages ago.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
You kids like videos, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHa3-8LMJPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6RJaEYAddU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I believe this is new and I dug it, it's cool in an atmosphere drone kinda way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2nLErSeeE

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I've heard everything Patton. Last Tomahawk was bad and when you mention the Dillinger EP, which is amazing, you do realize it was released in 2002, with Patton at the tail end of his peak, and that in no way is it recent?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjBJftsdtw

I saw Patton perform this live last year with Matthias Bossi, Scott Amendola, and William Winant. It was dope. Even if this new FNM album and the last Tomahawk kinda blow, he still does awesome one time only shows. Also, Mondo Cane and Anonymous are awesome albums.

Kinkajou fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 4, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Peeping Tom was good too. Lots of excellent output.

I would love another Peeping Tom album, the one that's out is one of my all-time favorites.

I'm pretty pumped for this. The single didn't click for me til I gave it a few listens but that's pretty much any FNM song for me, really. Hell, it took me months to really get into King for a Day outside of a couple tracks.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

King for a Day sounds like they were really exhausted after Angel Dust but tried to put together an album regardless. It’s not bad, it’s just kind of limp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Roddy Bottum's absence hurt KFAD, and it's not like Trey Spruance was allowed to go hog wild since it still had to have some mainstream appeal.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've been listening to Motherfucker at least once a day since it was released. It's addictive. I'm looking forward to the new album and being able to see them live again. I saw them in 2010 at the sold out show in L.A. and it was amazing.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Crackerman posted:

King for a Day sounds like they were really exhausted after Angel Dust but tried to put together an album regardless. It’s not bad, it’s just kind of limp.

I couldn't disagree more. King for a Day was Faith No More's crowning achievement. There are no genre borders, the guitar work is amazing, and it ends with the perfect song

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Crackerman posted:

Whatwhatwhat? Wow, I find that these days I actually listen to King for a Day more than Angel Dust. And The Real Thing, for that matter, but no one really seems to like that album for some reason :smithfrog:

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

This is how I feel about Album of the Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

techno allah posted:

I couldn't disagree more. King for a Day was Faith No More's crowning achievement. There are no genre borders, the guitar work is amazing, and it ends with the perfect song
I don't know why Trey hated working on that album because all the work in it is pretty solid.

• Locked thread