Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
basically college -> military -> weapons research/government contracting is a awesome way to success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

azreal posted:

Lol upward mobility doesn't require a degree

yeah, if you keep working at subway but show a lot of gumption, maybe the higher-ups will take notice and promote you to regional manager despite your complete lack of actual management qualifications. Then you can pull a sweet 50 grand a year. Don't even know what you'd do with all of that cash money

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JerryLee posted:

hmmm yase let me just peer into my crystal ball and divine which subfield of a field will be paying six figures in ten years and totally not glutted with the traffic jam of people who are all trying to swing from this pair of nuts at once

or society could be built around principles other than economically and socially making GBS threads on 90% of the population at any given moment but lmao who wants that

Seriously, how many of you are under 25? That is, how many of you are millennials with this entitlement attitude and this pseudo-intellectual bullshit?

No, the job market doesn't poo poo on "90% of the population", the same fields that pay well are still paying well (doctors, lawyers, firemen and policemen, data analytics, everything in finance).

You kids act like just because you are not given a job making 50k right out of college, you are somehow being hosed? Or worse yet, the whole "99%" thing had any merit? The small businesses are the #1 employer in the US. Do not act like the 1% are loving anyone. Your entitlement attitudes, your refusal to work hard, and your unwillingness to learn is what is preventing you from getting jobs.

Next time, actually learn something in college and I will employ you. Meanwhile, I will be employing the silver foxes with experience with you get experience and some maturity under your belt. Maybe some time in poverty will teach you a few things about real life outside of the comfort of mom and dad's house.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Being willing to move and taking opportunities at moving laterally in the job market are two of the biggest things that helped me out. I've noticed that most people who can't find a job and have a degree that is actually useful are not willing to relocate or to transfer to another job with similar pay/benefits as their own that offers a greater mobility path in the end.

gently caress staying in the same place :10bux:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fojar38 posted:

so loving everyone gets engineering degrees and funnily enough often end up working the same starbucks jobs that the liberal arts majors they made fun of are working because college graduates are getting hosed across the board regardless of degree type

yea there's some truth to this. like GPA, who you networked with, did you do internships, what school you went to, etc, are all different aspects that can matter as equally as a specific major. obviously getting a degree from flyoverbuttfuckparty state university isn't going to help you like a better school would with a higher GPA.

Most important part is to really get internships regardless of the degree. it just happens that engineering majors have an easier time of getting a paid internship which helps a lot and shows more dedication.

But liberal arts majors are such an easy target because why the hell would you expect to get anywhere with 40k in debt from a art history major with a 2.0 at a crappy school? colleges across america produce an absolute glut of useless liberal arts majors that most people take because it's the "easy route" (yea yea sometimes it's actually really hard but it usually isn't and don't try to pretend otherwise) and employers know this about a lot of millennial lib arts. it's easier to get a job at a non-related position with a stem than with a liberal arts degree but it's still hard and people are getting hosed regardless of the major, i will give you that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 30, 2014

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

when trying to decide what degrees they should get everyone hears "yo get an engineering degree its a growing field and you will have your pick of dozens of high paying jobs"

so loving everyone gets engineering degrees and funnily enough often end up working the same starbucks jobs that the liberal arts majors they made fun of are working because college graduates are getting hosed across the board regardless of degree type

Goddamn you are so wrong. The only engineers from my graduating class that haven't found work in their field were the complete gently caress ups that barely slipped through the program in the first place. Many of the average engineers found work within a few months or already had work lined up prior to graduation and that was two years ago when it was even harder to find jobs.

Electrical engineers are especially in high demand because most people can't stand that coursework. The only engineering majors that are at all really saturated are likely to be mechanical and civil and even then you will likely get a job in your field relatively quickly.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Supplement your degree with regularly updated certifications and you basically have to TRY to not get hired

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If your willing to move around you can find a poo poo load of jobs. Had a friend get a job in aussie land.

American's are really afraid of living over seas for some stupid reason

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Business Octopus posted:

yeah, if you keep working at subway but show a lot of gumption, maybe the higher-ups will take notice and promote you to regional manager despite your complete lack of actual management qualifications. Then you can pull a sweet 50 grand a year. Don't even know what you'd do with all of that cash money

Sounds like you dont even need a high school diploma. Or brain at all. For fast food, most just become manager and then save up enough to buy their own store within the chain. Takes like 10 years but it's been done and 'safe' for an invincible hyper corporate chain that will never close, no education required.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xaris posted:

yea there's some truth to this. like GPA, who you networked with, did you do internships, what school you went to, etc, are all different aspects that can matter as equally as a specific major.. obviously getting a degree from flyoverbuttfuckparty state university isnt going to help you like a better school would with a higher GPA.

most important part is to really get internships regardless of the degree. it just happens that engineering majors have an easier time of getting a paid internship which helps a lot.

but liberal arts majors are such an easy target because why the hell would you expect to get anywhere with 40k in debt from a art history major with a 2.0 at a crappy school? colleges across america produce an absolute glut of useless liberal arts majors that most people take because it's the "easy route" (yea yea sometimes it's actually really hard but it usually isnt) and employers know this about a lot of millenial lib arts. it's easier to get a job at a non-related position with a stem than with a liberal arts degree but it's still hard and people are getting hosed regardless of the major, i will give you that.

HR Here:

There is not a single business anywhere that gives a flying gently caress about your GPA. Anyone who tells you to put it on your resume, or that it matters, is either lying to you or misinformed.

No HR person ever gives a poo poo and it is not a reliable predictor of future work performance.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
college helped me not be a Republican, helped me make wise decisions, helped me pick news sources that don't suck, and helped me get a job that pays 30k which isn't bad considering retail, fast food and warehouse whoring and stuff

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Alexzandvar posted:

basically college -> military -> weapons research/government contracting is a awesome way to success

Hella yeah.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Sounds like you dont even need a high school diploma. Or brain at all. For fast food, most just become manager and then save up enough to buy their own store within the chain. Takes like 10 years but it's been done and 'safe' for an invincible hyper corporate chain that will never close, no education required.

Fast food companies regularly gently caress over their franchisees that is a terrible career path unless you have existing nest eggs to fall back on. It can be good but you absolutely have to be able to bug out if corporate tells you that you HAVE to make X modification to your location and that YOU have to pay for it (and you can't). This happens way more than people realize.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

HR Here:

There is not a single business anywhere that gives a flying gently caress about your GPA. Anyone who tells you to put it on your resume, or that it matters, is either lying to you or misinformed.

No HR person ever gives a poo poo and it is not a reliable predictor of future work performance.

I've always found that networking and academic achievements only get you so far in actual competitive fields

Dunno how many people who coasted into the job application position on networking who failed the technical interview we did miserably but it is quite a lot

People who think their GPA will get them the job need to remember that at some point they will need to show that they actually know what they are doing and add value to the company otherwise they will get hosed on performance reviews

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Business Octopus posted:

college is a good gateway to actual useful degrees such as an MBA, MD, PharmD, DDS, PhD (in a non-humanities discipline), etc etc. Lol if you think you can move up in social class without a degree. The only reasonable pathway is to be an entrepreneur and where are you going to get start-up capital if you're not already rich or don't have frat brothers with connections?

lol at describing an MBA as useful.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Widestancer posted:

Fast food companies regularly gently caress over their franchisees that is a terrible career path unless you have existing nest eggs to fall back on. It can be good but you absolutely have to be able to bug out if corporate tells you that you HAVE to make X modification to your location and that YOU have to pay for it (and you can't). This happens way more than people realize.

yeah, my gf has a sister and her husband got hired at McDonalds for a manager position. they sent him off to some hotel for a few weeks to get training and it translated him to getting a series of watered down business/management classes and a piece of paper that says he can be a manager at McDonalds and in return they literally owned him for ~3 years. He hated it so much he quit the second he could without having a McDonalds bookie come knocking on the door.

retail is poo poo, fast food is poo poo, everyone i know in either of those either wishes they had a degree or they loving get one after having to go through that poo poo

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Barfoid 3 posted:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just go apply at Google.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HR Here:

The Male HR secretary that could.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

HR Here:

i can double comfirm that, gpa's are dumb and worthless unless youre planning on staying in academica, in which case HAHAHAYOUREADUMBFUCK enjoy your adjunct position at Cornfield College, Nowhere USA

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
bu-bu-but if i work hard i can teach at harvard some day!

actually i shouldn't talk because my degree usually requires doing some sort of teaching or another unless you get a job at NASA or i guess now SpaceX

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Widestancer posted:

I've always found that networking and academic achievements only get you so far in actual competitive fields

Dunno how many people who coasted into the job application position on networking who failed the technical interview we did miserably but it is quite a lot

People who think their GPA will get them the job need to remember that at some point they will need to show that they actually know what they are doing and add value to the company otherwise they will get hosed on performance reviews

Was going to respond but yeah basically this. Prior relevant work experience (and personality [no goons]) with references can matter the most. Positions that require technical knowledge (internship/entry level) where there may not be other factors might then use GPA (from a good school) might be one of the few indicators for a good candidate.

It's almost as if there's a multiple number of factors (which all diminish or become greater in value depending on the position/time) that matter for employment :monocle:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HR Here:

Is HR as easy as it sounds? Basic reading comprehension/basic knowledge of the existence of labour laws/basic negotiating skills?

I mean, no offense, but it almost sounds like one of those monkeys who know sign language could do it. It sounds like the perfect job for goofing off all day.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Is HR as easy as it sounds? Basic reading comprehension/basic knowledge of the existence of labour laws/basic negotiating skills?

I mean, no offense, but it almost sounds like one of those monkeys who know sign language could do it.

have you ever dealt with a payroll system

have you ever seen what payroll day is like behind the scenes

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barfoid 3 posted:

I know you are ignorant, but I will respond to this anyways.

MBA's are very useful if you have the experience to back it up. That is why MBA schools expect their students, usually, to be in a professional career setting for two years, minimum, before attending the MBA program. They also require you to attend the MBA program at a different college than the one you received your degree at, so you are exposed to new schools of business management theory.

I don't know if you realized it, but it does make for better managers and better leaders. But then again, this may be wasted.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Xaris posted:

Was going to respond but yeah basically this. Prior relevant work experience (and personality [no goons]) usually matter most. Positions that require technical knowledge for an internship/entry level where there may not be other factor might then use GPA (from a good school) might be one of the few indicators for a good candidate.

It's almost as if there's a multiple number of factors (which all diminish or become greater in value depending on the position/time) that matter for employment :monocle:

We substitute prior work experience for degrees but it takes a SHITload of work experience to do so. More often than that we waive the MBA requirement for management but keep the base degree requirements depending on the department if they have experience.

An MBA can help you work up to management if you don't have management experience for some reason I guess :shrug:

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
not even sure why people in their 20s are working in fast food/retail.

if they know how to write/read and use a computer they can land an entry level position in an office (think of all the business and government buildings in a city - they ALL have clerical jobs that are the nuts and bolts of operating it) and for the rest of their lives never deal with rear end in a top hat, shithead customers and sleazy managers again

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I know you are ignorant, but I will respond to this anyways.

MBA's are very useful if you have the experience to back it up. That is why MBA schools expect their students, usually, to be in a professional career setting for two years, minimum, before attending the MBA program. They also require you to attend the MBA program at a different college than the one you received your degree at, so you are exposed to new schools of business management theory.

I don't know if you realized it, but it does make for better managers and better leaders. But then again, this may be wasted.

you just put more thought into pursuing an mba than what most people who pursue mbas put in the first place; it's rapidly becoming the new law school

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
real talk though, student loans are a purely predatory industry, i feel those not in STEM fields should eschew college for more traditional career paths, which develop lifelong marketable skills, such as apprenticing oneself to a local blacksmith, or serving as a squire to a local knight. a man might even make a name for himself on the ostfront, keeping the effeminate persians from our city walls

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I mean, no offense, but it almost sounds like one of those monkeys who know sign language could do it. It sounds like the perfect job for goofing off all day.

Extensive legal, professional, communication, IT, HR law knowledge to be an HR generalist/manager. Edit: oh, and 5-7 years experience to even become a generalist. That position is a step below mine.

I'm an HR Director. An HR Director usually runs a team of HR Generalists, so they are required to have literal encyclopedic knowledge of HR law, amongst other things.

They are literally catbert.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

have you ever dealt with a payroll system

have you ever seen what payroll day is like behind the scenes

Off-site accounting deals with this. You get hired by us, you get a salary code that is modified using a simple program.
I doubt anyone ever really looks at the individual numbers, just the total.

Extensive legal, professional, communication, IT, HR law knowledge to be an HR generalist/manager. Edit: oh, and 5-7 years experience to even become a generalist. That position is a step below mine.
I'm an HR Director. An HR Director usually runs a team of HR Generalists, so they are required to have literal encyclopedic knowledge of HR law, amongst other things.

Labour laws aren't really that hard. It's not like what you say goes anyway, unless you're like the HR director of the entire goddamned company. Tariffs and all that bullshit you work out along with the unions anyway, so there seems to be really little personal responsibility at stake.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 30, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargo cult posted:

real talk though, student loans are a purely predatory industry, i feel those not in STEM fields should eschew college for more traditional career paths, which develop lifelong marketable skills, such as apprenticing oneself to a local blacksmith, or serving as a squire to a local knight. a man might even make a name for himself on the ostfront, keeping the effeminate persians from our city walls

the trick is that if you don't want to pay back your debt, get a PhD in something good and flee the country because believe it or not a good degree is in high demand. you'll probably not be allowed back in to the US but eh, depends what field you want to get a job in

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Extensive legal, professional, communication, IT, HR law knowledge to be an HR generalist/manager. That position is a step below mine.

my mum left her HR position and is working as a HR/workplace law consultant now thanks to having spent so much time with that poo poo, she's making mad money now (not that she wasn't before). it's absurd the amount of stuff that goes into HR.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Off-site accounting deals with this. You get hired by us, you get a salary code that is modified using a simple program.
I doubt anyone ever really looks at the individual numbers, just the total.

Garnishments (everything to do with it)
Payroll Adjustments (everything to do with it)
Manual entries (everything to do with it)
Any situation where someone fucks up (everything to do with it)

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

nutranurse posted:

i can double comfirm that, gpa's are dumb and worthless unless youre planning on staying in academica, in which case HAHAHAYOUREADUMBFUCK enjoy your adjunct position at Cornfield College, Nowhere USA

lots of the doctors I know didn't get good GPAs but still found their way into one of the top-paying careers because med schools thought that their summer volunteering in honduras demonstrated a lot of heart.

"NOT!" - borat

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Goons give career advice & poo poo their pants unprompted about MILLENIALS itt.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ITT, people older than 30 telling young people that they're just stupid and lazy despite globally high unemployment for young people

:v:

look a talking dog

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
what's worse, a quarter life crisis or being thirty?

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Oh yeah I'm sure your sports management and criminal justice degrees are really going to take you to the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Reading is for faggots.

Also Rhonyn you really shouldn't insinuate that HR is a real job. It is for retards, like you, because you're a retard.

• Locked thread