Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm actually kind of surprised at who came out to play. I thought he was just worried about the inside of the asylum, but threats to security are everywhere, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I really, really like this game, and I like this LP, even though I very rarely watch them.

One thing about the game that I seem to keep missing, though is when Miles writes a note that says something like "it could be a glitch in the camera, but I could have sworn I just saw something" or something to that effect. I've played through it a few times now and always seem to miss it. Do you get a glimpse of the walrider, and if so, where? It's pretty early in the game, I believe.

I'm not sure if that's a spoiler but whatever

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

lonesomedwarf posted:

I really, really like this game, and I like this LP, even though I very rarely watch them.

One thing about the game that I seem to keep missing, though is when Miles writes a note that says something like "it could be a glitch in the camera, but I could have sworn I just saw something" or something to that effect. I've played through it a few times now and always seem to miss it. Do you get a glimpse of the walrider, and if so, where? It's pretty early in the game, I believe.

I'm not sure if that's a spoiler but whatever

Yeah, it's just a glimpse of the Walrider. It's very quick, it almost just seems like the lights flickering.

I'm really glad you're enjoying!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DumbRodent posted:

Yeah, it's just a glimpse of the Walrider. It's very quick, it almost just seems like the lights flickering.

Yeah, it took me a second try to see it. When the camera pans down the stairs just before the note is written, you see what seems to be a barely visible black shadow floating away.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it took me a second try to see it. When the camera pans down the stairs just before the note is written, you see what seems to be a barely visible black shadow floating away.

I actually didn't see it (despite reviewing that bit several times,) until I went through the video second by second. It probably took me that long because I expected something more than a glimpse of a shadow.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I saw video 4 after I posted that. And I still missed it.

If I may offer one criticism, however, I would say that I would have preferred it if you zoomed in on the twin dongs with the camera and left it for at least a minute. Perhaps you could do that in a later video, or you could upload a new one that features this. Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

If I may offer one criticism, however, I would say that I would have preferred it if you zoomed in on the twin dongs with the camera and left it for at least a minute. Perhaps you could do that in a later video, or you could upload a new one that features this. Thanks!

I got nothin. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

lonesomedwarf posted:

He's gonna love the bonus unlockable boss fight.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

lonesomedwarf posted:

I need to save something for bonus content.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DumbRodent posted:

I'm not really down with that interpretation quite yet. I mean, are we even 100% sure the walrider exists, instead of being a common delusion shared by the inmates due to whatever those sleep induction and hypnosis experiments did to them? By now, our camera man might also be affected.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not really down with that interpretation quite yet. I mean, are we even 100% sure the walrider exists, instead of being a common delusion shared by the inmates due to whatever those sleep induction and hypnosis experiments did to them? By now, our camera man might also be affected.

Miles himself questions his sanity when that event triggers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, was Miles put through those experiments?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, but then, why would Trager be? The symptoms also clearly affect Murkoph staff, which makes it look possible that its newer version is a broadcast instead of individually applied.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

No, but then, why would Trager be? The symptoms also clearly affect Murkoph staff, which makes it look possible that its newer version is a broadcast instead of individually applied.

Oh gently caress.
"I'm looking for static, its like an itch."
All that static you can barely hear over the game noises? loving Walrider bullshit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually really like the jump scare at 7:46 in the last video because it's not really a "jump scare". It's like a steady increase rather than a sudden spike in terms of tone, so it ends up being suitably scary without just being a cheap shock.

I just love how your first encounter with the Walrider involves you slamming a door in its face.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Episode Seven - Found --Video!--
Documents & Notes
I played around a bit with the editing and commentary, and reworked the CIA document that was the OP. I hope neither are annoying or distracting.
Have a good night!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 22, 2014

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Holy poo poo, that video end.
All that static really surprised me, was it an edit ?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nothing much to add besides :stare:. I'm curious about legendsuper's question, too.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

legendsuper posted:

Holy poo poo, that video end.
All that static really surprised me, was it an edit ?

From WHAT I REMEMBER that's an edit. You are totally meant to avoid the Twins, which is kinda hard since they hunt as a team and don't make any noise. No poo poo, you won't hear the fuckers sneak up on you.

Man I like it. I'm digging the videos.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I was wondering if you would ever show us a death...The Twins catching up is a good place.

It seems the writer did a little bit of homework. The Alp is a real part of Germanic folklore, and "Walrider" is one of its names. The whole "it sits on your chest while your sleeping" thing was called alpdruck, and it is thought to have been an early explanation for problems arising from sleep apnea or paralysis, or night terrors.

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?

dscruffy1 posted:

From WHAT I REMEMBER that's an edit. You are totally meant to avoid the Twins, which is kinda hard since they hunt as a team and don't make any noise. No poo poo, you won't hear the fuckers sneak up on you.

Man I like it. I'm digging the videos.

I think my game glitched when I got to that part.

Once the twins started walking towards me, I closed the door on them. One of them opened the door and they both just casually walked past me with no reaction.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Suddenly the game turned into Rust.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

V!ntar posted:

Suddenly the game turned into Rust.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Well everyone's already a mudererous naked psycho who kills on sight in Rust so I'd say we were already in Rust!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'd never heard about this game before this thread. It's not even a game I could see myself personally enjoy playing myself as I know I'd be terrible at it. I'm loving this LP though, partly because of the last two sentences, mostly because it's a drat good LP!

You certainly know how to leave things at a cliff hanger!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That point of the game was interesting on my first playthrough as the twins had a habit of insta gibbing me. At one point I opened the door and blam I was dead. I wondered if this was just the twins standard damage output (by this time when I played it the game didn't have any patches) or if the way they hunted the player allowed them to strike at the same time for big damage. I'm curious if this happened to you, DR.

Big E: I'm really dumb. There aren't any story spoilers in there just a question to DR about how the twins deal damage.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Thanks RBD, I've had a lot of practice...

Acquire Currency! posted:

That point of the game was interesting on my first playthrough as the twins had a habit of insta gibbing me. At one point I opened the door and blam I was dead. I wondered if this was just the twins standard damage output (by this time when I played it the game didn't have any patches) or if the way they hunted the player allowed them to strike at the same time for big damage. I'm curious if this happened to you, DR.

Big E: I'm really dumb. There aren't any story spoilers in there just a question to DR about how the twins deal damage.

They're just instant-death; going near them is a game over.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I'm a video behind to react to this but that part in video six when you open the door and Walrider comes at scared the ever living poo poo out of me, I had to pause the video and have a giggle at how much of a reaction I had to it.

I never would have played this game after that so thanks a lot for doing it and doing such a fantastic job too!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Almost caught up with the LP. Gonna save episode 7 for tomorrow. I love the LP so far. I thought about getting this game a long time ago then money got tight and I put it off so it's great to see it played so well. The immersion is fantastic. Although screw you for talking quietly to make me turn up my volume. I'm onto you. :ninja:

I'm loving all the little touches in the game that are there just to screw with you. ie Seeing only a foot through a cracked door or my personal favorite "Sweet I'm out of the sewers and away from Walker things are looking u....OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo someones chasing me runrunrunrun anywhere...gently caress I'm back in the sewers."

As for the guards dead in their seats maybe the Walrider did something? We know it has telekinetic powers (from the security tape throwing soldiers around). It looks like the guards throats are cut. Maybe the Walrider killed/psychically suicided all the guards?

I'm also not liking Father Martin talk about "Needing another man to drive the nails in." Is he talking about what he's putting us through now or does he have something more...permanent...in mind? Possibly with actual nails.

Be careful Miles :ohdear:

Travic fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 23, 2014

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Travic posted:

We know it has telekinetic powers (from the security tape throwing soldiers around)

I don't believe it has telekinetic powers, that was the walrider throwing them around. You just couldn't see it at that point. That's the impression I got, anyway.

edit: What I mean is, Miles couldn't see it. He wasn't... ready.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I thought it was the more that it doesn't have a physical form to be recorded on video, like it is a pure psychic manifestation thingy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Definitely SOMETHING not human, at any rate. But so far all the madness and danger we've faced has been entirely human, if an extremely warped and bottom-of-the-gutter type of mutated human.

Whatever happened must be hell on human physiology as well as the mind, because even guys who weren't patients like Trager got mutilated by it.

I wonder how long it's been since the "outbreak." Few hours, few days? Seems like a whole hell of a lot has gone wrong, in any case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arp1033 posted:

I thought it was the more that it doesn't have a physical form to be recorded on video, like it is a pure psychic manifestation thingy.

You're kinda right and kinda not right at the same time with this statement. It should get explained shortly, since I think we only have a few videos left until the reveal?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

Definitely SOMETHING not human, at any rate. But so far all the madness and danger we've faced has been entirely human, if an extremely warped and bottom-of-the-gutter type of mutated human.

Whatever happened must be hell on human physiology as well as the mind, because even guys who weren't patients like Trager got mutilated by it.

I wonder how long it's been since the "outbreak." Few hours, few days? Seems like a whole hell of a lot has gone wrong, in any case.

Things answered in the dlc actually! I don't remember if DR said he'd do it.
E: I don't know if telling you about the duration of the outbreak is following the thread rules.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
It's worth noting that the Walrider is almost invisible with your camera down, and is much clearer with the night vision mode on. The only reason it's been so clear so far is that I have Miles' camera stuck to his face most of the time.

I'll definitely cover the DLC.
Posting spoilery details is perfectly fine, as long as you tag them.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay so as far as I've gathered about the timeline Miles is pretty much on the fuckin' ball once he gets the email as he shows up a few hours after the outbreak. Whistleblower's very first moments are you sending Miles the email that gets him to Massive. With the patients taking over the asylum a few hours after that. As you can tell the whole place would be loving ashes right now had this been going on for weeks. Indeed the time from the Whistleblower's email to where Miles is now is like afternoon to night the same day. Within 24 hours.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Okay so as far as I've gathered about the timeline Miles is pretty much on the fuckin' ball once he gets the email as he shows up a few hours after the outbreak. Whistleblower's very first moments are you sending Miles the email that gets him to Massive. With the patients taking over the asylum a few hours after that. As you can tell the whole place would be loving ashes right now had this been going on for weeks. Indeed the time from the Whistleblower's email to where Miles is now is like afternoon to night the same day. Within 24 hours.

There's a fairly significant time gap baked into Whistleblower. Miles would still have been pretty prompt, but not quite out the door once he gets the email.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

There's a fairly significant time gap baked into Whistleblower. Miles would still have been pretty prompt, but not quite out the door once he gets the email.

Maybe you could remind me as I've forgotten or missed it, how much time has passed after the whistleblower gets caught.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Maybe you could remind me as I've forgotten or missed it, how much time has passed after the whistleblower gets caught.

There's a 12-hour gap after you get gassed by Eddie

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So daytimenever becomes visible at any time? Convenient.

Though I always found "trapped in a dark room but with daylight sneaking into it from the cracks in the wall" sufficiently creepy when done well too. Silent Hill 3 did that a few times in its initial mall dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Episode Eight- Darkness --Video!--
Documents & Notes
Another quick update to make up for the last couple being so late.

• Locked thread