Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for May:

2014: JFMA

2013: AMJJASOND

May auspol highlights:

Hypation posted:

No I am proposing not to tack on these measures is justified - and of course well over a million witnesses to what actually happened after Gleiwitz. And yes Nuremberg was an arms' length process. Frances since graduated with a parly sec can do the latter elements. I am also going to happen. That in turn means you go bankrupt your card debt is preserved. This notwithstanding it is said it is]. - hence nope.

Privatisations and capital recycling? - We have a causal relationship. ie in both there was a Transport Workers Union boss."

There's even a photo of the welfare state and inability to avoid stuctural unemployment not a "typical participants in the budget really comes down to.

Sold!

Thanks for the NAPLAN test rather than something where people learn stuff.

This is a double edged sword because it causes labour shortages, skills crises, wage inflation and generally stuffs around with productivity in under-resourced sectors while creating welfare requirements (which could otherwise be invested in growth) in over employed sectors. By 'over employed' I mean the sectors of the self while ignoring the fact that charity is not going to happen. That in turn means you need to see. If the process was abnormal the guys looking at the discretion of her Cabinet Minister is the crappiest speaker I have ever seen; and the level of threat which would have been a sell out of a judge with formal training can't fulfil the Speaker / President an exercise of judicial power. In Boilermakers the key distinction was whether a reduced possible hypothetical is actually progressive based on the edge of being a market intervention should not be work because it's class warfare in the $5. Answer seems to indicate that the Holocaust saved lives. But since Manus island opened and the tax burden might not be taken to be able to effectively participate in a substantial 'donation' to the budget papers to win on the forms of unemployment that is modelled around ASIC investigations- ie independent compulsory investigative powers + no right not to tack on these duties to the Judicial Branch for a determination of whether a measure eg consumer protection laws are a social measure or market intervention. The answer is both. But then you let it run covering additional MBS costs.

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't think we need to be honest, I still freak the hell out about the bootstraps yet. This time I know just how bad things can get, and you'd think most people outside the US should too, cause they've so thoroughly hosed themselves already! Who can look at the bar could go out to the bottom workers get, we can't get one other person of similar merit to undercut and replace him? If your friend could imagine himself working his way up the slack though, after dropping a whole Roman history course on us off the ground without having to go through the loving cracks so far ahead regardless of your skill and talent it becomes completely decoupled from the outside without being raised in that bullshit and unfair everything is.

Cartoon posted:

At the risk of farting in the previous Labour government.

The free scholarship is dogey as gently caress but this applies to PAYG as well as through the regressive GST. It's not like many people are getting a 'free' ride.

Finally a solid eye roll at the comparative global economic picture I'd say go with what ever Norway is doing but Norway has a declared Taxable income of $ 15 000. During the course of the BCA the business community's equivalent of a magic wand doesn't actually 'employ' them it just enables some primary producers to get a look at yourself and what you have to come up with an extra 10% for all their textbooks.

Please cite a source for your absurd claim that GST is a kick in the audio he argues just that.

What especially ticked me off was his income after any BAS and other BAS related rigmarole, for which they are coming after him.

This is off his facebook page.

--------------------//---------------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Joe cuts jobs; double protest

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
lol Sydney

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

nyerf posted:

This was brought to my attention via a personal finance interest group on Facebook- According to figures on the front page of the Australian, quoted by that notorious paragon of Australian journalism Alan loving Jones, (http://www.2gb.com/article/alarming-welfare-figures#.U4ls6vmSwcG) a single working parent is entitled to $54,417 in Government payments:

People in the group are grizzling that 'it's too generous, drat dole-bludging single breeders would never have an incentive to get a job!'

My suspicion is that this list of numbers is of potential payments, and that it'd be nigh on impossible for anyone to access literally all of them in a year. How/where do I go to check so I have ammunition to counter this ridiculous spin on things? Thanks Auspol.
I'm calling BS

quote:

Your income must be no more than $180.60, plus $24.60 for each additional child, per fortnight to get the maximum payment.

Also the amounts are quoted as being available to a 'single WORKING parent'. They can go and choke on their whole 'dole bludger' B/S

Additionally what is wrong with trying to ensure kids get a decent start in life?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Send the poors off to the Welfare Mills.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's History Month here at Auspol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqyB3PHn74

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Welfare? Cut everyone. Easy!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Hey cat doter how's your maths and MS Office skills? You could do a course in MYOB and bookkeeping and that'll keep you off your feet and pay something resembling a living wage. Small businesses always want a bookkeeper.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Fruity Gordo posted:

Hey cat doter how's your maths and MS Office skills? You could do a course in MYOB and bookkeeping and that'll keep you off your feet and pay something resembling a living wage. Small businesses always want a bookkeeper.

My maths is real middling, but I know my way around a computer better than 99% of people. I'm sure I could figure out how to keep business books pretty easily though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you aren't averse to the public service, check out smartjobs and search for admin roles too.

A lot have no pre-requisites to apply and are very well paid. I don't know how competitive these are though, but most I have looked at just seem to require good organisation and things like basic computer and data entry skills.

e: sorry, smartjobs is just QLD (ironically), check out APS jobs.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 31, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

nyerf posted:

My suspicion is that this list of numbers is of potential payments, and that it'd be nigh on impossible for anyone to access literally all of them in a year. How/where do I go to check so I have ammunition to counter this ridiculous spin on things? Thanks Auspol.

You can go on the Centerlink website and run through a calculator which will spit out benefits you're eligible for and how much.

It looks pretty flawed though, the Pensioner Education Supplement is for someone studying full time for starters.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I've gone down the list and tried to sift through the humanservices.gov.au website to check, and so far it's actually sorta checking out.

• For a Single Parenting Payment of $18,192/year, you need to be a single carer of two children <8 years of age, and you can't earn more than $5332.20 a year
  • $305 Clean Energy Supplement is automatically paid in conjunction with the SPP payment (or any other of a bunch of different centerlink payments)
  • $8,979 Family Tax Benefit Part A --you get this if you have 2 kids
  • $175 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit A supplement, it's rounded up but yes you get this if you have 2 kids
  • $4171.95 for Family Tax Benefit Part B if your youngest kid is <5 years of age
  • $69 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit B supplement also autopaid with above
  • $3,818 Rent Assistance but not if you live in state housing or own your own home obvs and your rent has to be >$172.43/week
  • $161 Pharmaceutical Allowance eligible if receiving parenting payment--interestingly there's no mention of a need to prove you're actually buying meds with this
  • $1,453 Family Tax Benefit Part A supplement --see above
  • $354 Family Tax Benefit Part B supplement --see above
  • $1,622 Pensioner Education Supplement --you have to be studying at least part-time, with kid <16 years of age
  • $214 Income Support Bonus --another autopaid payment with the SPP
  • $157 Telephone Allowance-- only if you have internet at home is all it says, nothing about proving you're actually paying for an internet service...if you've just got a phone line connected it's a smaller payment
  • $15,120 Jobs Education Training Child Care Fee Assistance--if you're studying, this only lasts for as long as 104 full-time loaded weeks, and I have no loving idea where the Australian pulled this figure from because I can't find any numbers on the Human Services website. Just says they'll cover the childcare fee gap payment to within $1/hour :confused: In any event, including this one is probably the only obviously disingenuous one since it's not exactly cash-in-hand for the single parent

I'm also curious if ABSTUDY overrides the SPP+studying payments or whether you get that in addition or what, the HS website isn't explicitly clear. Perhaps they're relying on Indigenous people not being able to use the internet to get on the website in the first place, Iunno.

poo poo guys, I've got a uterus and presumably functioning ovaries, time to quit my $70k pa job and start producing baby after baby while studying various random diplomas from the skills-in-need list amirite?

e:missed a number for the CE FTB B supplement

nyerf fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 31, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't family tax benefits take the form of a tax deduction?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Ammonsa posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether I should risk putting the 15 minutes I am required to come into work before my shift starts into my timesheet, as well as the 15 to 45 minutes I often need to stay behind for. I'm worried because I'm a casual and I can just be arbitrarily dismissed I assume, so I don't want to piss my boss off.

What industry are you a casual in? What award are you working under? What does your contract say?

Lastly, have you joined a union?

cat doter posted:

Ok real talk, if I had to, say, do some sort of course for a job that's in very high demand in Adelaide, one that I could complete rather quickly and be physically capable of doing (ie something that doesn't strain my back, hardore labour or something) what would that look like, because of this budget poo poo passes unscathed I'm pretty much completely hosed.

Call centre work, data entry off the top of my head. Mainly because they burn through workers.

What skills do you have, whats your work experience?

BCR fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 31, 2014

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Re: Family "Tax" Benefit
That's what I used to think too, but apparently not from what I can make out. You just have to lodge a tax return, or tell DHS that you don't have to lodge a tax return and voila. Worst name ever of course, very much in the vein of "Carbon Tax".
E: spelling from phone posting

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

cat doter posted:

My maths is real middling, but I know my way around a computer better than 99% of people. I'm sure I could figure out how to keep business books pretty easily though.

Yeah I reckon you could. My mum's an accountant, I just told her a little bit about you and she said that generally you'll need to go into the business to do their books because the software costs about $600-900, but since you have a disability there might be an employment scheme in place to get you the software for cheap so you can work from home.

Tafe does short courses in MYOB (28 hours). Full-fee for next semester looks to be about $450 in NSW but that's without any commonwealth benefit, so you might only have to pay $50-100 but I'm not sure how TAFE PLUS courses work. There's also the Cert IV in Bookkeeping, apparently seek will let you pay it off with an interest free loan http://www.seeklearning.com.au/tafe/certificate-4-bookkeeping Keep in mind that doing a cert through a private college will cost more than through TAFE. Also in NSW TAFE fees will increase dramatically next year and I think it's happening in other states too, so if you can enrol this year so much the better.

Also Zenithe is right, admin work might be a goer for now in case you enrol in a course and loving hate it; that's just a waste of money. Get a disability employment provider to put you on the books of a temp agency if you wouldn't mind temp work. Those places also have the resources to help pay for courses, interview and work clothes, and study materials, and they offer subsidies to business to take a long-term unemployed person and/or person with a disability. You just have to luck out and get a worker who isn't a complete dropkick who will actually help you out.

Also don't freak out prematurely, we don't know if the changes to the DSP will even get through the Senate yet, and even then there's no guarantee that you'll be totally hosed. So try to relax a little bit, stress isn't good for anyone. :glomp:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 31, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

...soon.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

nyerf posted:

Re: Family "Tax" Benefit
That's what I used to think too, but apparently not from what I can make out. You just have to lodge a tax return, or tell DHS that you don't have to lodge a tax return and voila. Worst name ever of course, very much in the vein of "Carbon Tax".
E: spelling from phone posting

This stuff is going to be impossible to debunk, simply because centrelink payments are impossible to understand.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This stuff is going to be impossible to debunk, simply because centrelink payments are impossible to understand.

Bullshit Asymmetry Principle - The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude greater than the energy used to produce it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Fruity Gordo posted:

Yeah I reckon you could. My mum's an accountant, I just told her a little bit about you and she said that generally you'll need to go into the business to do their books because the software costs about $600-900, but since you have a disability there might be an employment scheme in place to get you the software for cheap so you can work from home.

Tafe does short courses in MYOB (28 hours). Full-fee for next semester looks to be about $450 in NSW but that's without any commonwealth benefit, so you might only have to pay $50-100 but I'm not sure how TAFE PLUS courses work. There's also the Cert IV in Bookkeeping, apparently seek will let you pay it off with an interest free loan http://www.seeklearning.com.au/tafe/certificate-4-bookkeeping Keep in mind that doing a cert through a private college will cost more than through TAFE. Also in NSW TAFE fees will increase dramatically next year and I think it's happening in other states too, so if you can enrol this year so much the better.

Also Zenithe is right, admin work might be a goer for now in case you enrol in a course and loving hate it; that's just a waste of money. Get a disability employment provider to put you on the books of a temp agency if you wouldn't mind temp work. Those places also have the resources to help pay for courses, interview and work clothes, and study materials, and they offer subsidies to business to take a long-term unemployed person and/or person with a disability. You just have to luck out and get a worker who isn't a complete dropkick who will actually help you out.

Also don't freak out prematurely, we don't know if the changes to the DSP will even get through the Senate yet, and even then there's no guarantee that you'll be totally hosed. So try to relax a little bit, stress isn't good for anyone. :glomp:

A bunch of good stuff, thanks. Lots of things to mull over and consider.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

nyerf posted:

I've gone down the list and tried to sift through the humanservices.gov.au website to check, and so far it's actually sorta checking out.

• For a Single Parenting Payment of $18,192/year, you need to be a single carer of two children <8 years of age, and you can't earn more than $5332.20 a year
  • $305 Clean Energy Supplement is automatically paid in conjunction with the SPP payment (or any other of a bunch of different centerlink payments)
  • $8,979 Family Tax Benefit Part A --you get this if you have 2 kids
  • $175 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit A supplement, it's rounded up but yes you get this if you have 2 kids
  • $4171.95 for Family Tax Benefit Part B if your youngest kid is <5 years of age
  • $69 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit B supplement also autopaid with above
  • $3,818 Rent Assistance but not if you live in state housing or own your own home obvs and your rent has to be >$172.43/week
  • $161 Pharmaceutical Allowance eligible if receiving parenting payment--interestingly there's no mention of a need to prove you're actually buying meds with this
  • $1,453 Family Tax Benefit Part A supplement --see above
  • $354 Family Tax Benefit Part B supplement --see above
  • $1,622 Pensioner Education Supplement --you have to be studying at least part-time, with kid <16 years of age
  • $214 Income Support Bonus --another autopaid payment with the SPP
  • $157 Telephone Allowance-- only if you have internet at home is all it says, nothing about proving you're actually paying for an internet service...if you've just got a phone line connected it's a smaller payment
  • $15,120 Jobs Education Training Child Care Fee Assistance--if you're studying, this only lasts for as long as 104 full-time loaded weeks, and I have no loving idea where the Australian pulled this figure from because I can't find any numbers on the Human Services website. Just says they'll cover the childcare fee gap payment to within $1/hour :confused: In any event, including this one is probably the only obviously disingenuous one since it's not exactly cash-in-hand for the single parent

I'm also curious if ABSTUDY overrides the SPP+studying payments or whether you get that in addition or what, the HS website isn't explicitly clear. Perhaps they're relying on Indigenous people not being able to use the internet to get on the website in the first place, Iunno.

poo poo guys, I've got a uterus and presumably functioning ovaries, time to quit my $70k pa job and start producing baby after baby while studying various random diplomas from the skills-in-need list amirite?

e:missed a number for the CE FTB B supplement

If you're a single unemployed parent you're not eligible for FTB B, so take away all those supplements. ABSTUDY is a primary payment, you don't get it in addition to SPP, you have to decide between the two. The childcare thing is a load of bullshit, but it would be lovely if it existed.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Keep in mind they're all subject to income tests and cut into each other.

You can run the calculator with specific incomes and such to see what you get. I hope it's right, but my gut says there's no way a person would get that much, I'd be surprised if it were half.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

If you're a single unemployed parent you're not eligible for FTB B, so take away all those supplements. ABSTUDY is a primary payment, you don't get it in addition to SPP, you have to decide between the two. The childcare thing is a load of bullshit, but it would be lovely if it existed.

Bollocks you can't.

quote:

This income test for Family Tax Benefit Part B is updated on 1 July each year.

Family Tax Benefit Part B is for families (single parent or couple) in which the primary earner has an adjusted taxable income of $150,000 or less per year.

Single parent family
If you are a single-parent family with an annual adjusted taxable income of more than $150,000, you will not be eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part B.

If your income is at or below this limit you will continue to get the maximum rate of Family Tax Benefit Part B.

Says nothing about how employed you have to be. Presumably you just have to show proof of income, or lack thereof if you're unemployed.

Edit:
I plugged single female 30 year old with 2 kids <5 years of age in 'approved' childcare, paying $180/week rent, and $1500 total assets to her name, 0 yearly income. Amounts to $35715.68/year 'free' money as an income from the government without any extra studying efforts or whatever. It didn't give me a specific breakdown for childcare supplementation so I dunno how that works.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 31, 2014

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
For the June thread.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Did you make this on the twitters? Because I snort laughed.

There's a whole bunch of blood in the water, and Malcolm smells it.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 31, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pred1ct posted:

For the June thread.

This is the best one.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Mattjpwns posted:

Did you make this on the twitters? Because I snort laughed.

There's a whole bunch of blood in the water, and Malcolm smells it.

I did not, but I should have.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This is the best one.

Is this real.

Gonna start compiling images for July.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This is the best one.

We need a :CLIEV: emoticon, with the glorious fat bastard riding a dinosaur.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
How many brisgoons are at the waifs tonight?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This is the best one.

For a moment there I thought he was flipping the bird.

:(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What a crap op. Even Mills would've done better.

Yep, it's contrary June for me, bitches

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Captain Pissweak posted:

Send the poors off to the Welfare Mills.

I don't think he needs that many cleaners. :rimshot: :suicide:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

Is this real.

Gonna start compiling images for July.

yep

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

BCR posted:

What industry are you a casual in? What award are you working under? What does your contract say?

Lastly, have you joined a union?

Restaurant Industry, Restaurant Industry Award 2010, I don't have a contract and get paid cash in hand haha it's kind of dodgy.

I haven't, what union should I be joining?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

For a moment there I thought he was flipping the bird.

:(
Close enough...

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Nuclear Spy posted:

Close enough...

Brilliant.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

cat doter posted:

A bunch of good stuff, thanks. Lots of things to mull over and consider.

also try http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/hr/pages/jobscareers/schooljobssearch/

The new policy for Ancillary (non teaching positions) is everything (not quite, but close enough) goes to open advert and merit selection. A cert 3 in IT and being able to string a coherent sentence together will get ahead of most of the pack for an IT support SSO2 job. Contract and ongoing will be going up all the time, but expect a lot from August onwards.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have mentioned this in GBS but I shall mention it here. You can watch Utopia on SBS On Demand from now until the 14th of June. It is a documentary about the treatment of Aboriginal people in Australia, by John Pilger. I would strongly recommend watching it. If nothing else, then watch up to the bit about the Rotness concentration camp turned resort. It is very powerful viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://maps.finance.gov.au/entitlements_handbooks/senators-and-members/Part_Six_Other_Matters_-_6.8_Constituents_Request_Program.asp

Why haven't you got your free portrait of her Majesty yet?

• Locked thread