Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fatman posted:

I know ill do something to warrant that, jet off to another country, expect to be handed everything, just the sort of unhinged person i want living next door to me.

Hey

Hey fatman

Hey

Was this you dude

realbez posted:

Lovely. 'jonathanfittock' later claimed his phone was hacked and has since deleted his account, I think. Can't get to it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nuclear Spy posted:

Would be good to get these numbers as a proportion of the number of cyclists and whether the total number of cyclists reduced after the helmet laws were introduced.

That's kind of where I was headed with it. I'm pretty sure I've seen head trauma from bicycle accidents presented as data but not comparative to bicycle utilisation since helmet laws introduced.

Cartoon fair enough.

bozo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those On My Beet posted:

From memory, and it may not have been you, the last few times we've done this you've posted some data about reduction in instances of head trauma since the helmets came in, yeah? Was that you?

Do we have any data on obesity rates among European Jews during the holocaust?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

When did "unfettered free market capitalism" become something that puts "families" first?

Well some families are very rich and wealthy...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dooooo iiiieeeeetttttttt

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

So would something like this http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/the-bike-helmet-thats-invisible-20131115-2xkvd.html be acceptable to anti-helmet activists? Or is it the inconvenience of having to put on a separate accessory itself?

e: Oh jesus, I didn't see the price tag. Who would spend that much on a one-use helmet?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 2, 2014

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Mr Chips posted:

:goonsay: that picture's not from Normandy.

:thejoke:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I can't believe that d-day thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More 'lol QLD'.

quote:

University of Queensland considers dumping journalism degree, cutting staff
By Matt Wordsworth

The University of Queensland (UQ) is considering scrapping its journalism degree and shedding staff in a radical shake-up of its Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.

The ABC has obtained an "issues paper" written by the faculty's new executive dean, Professor Tim Dunne, which declares "demand for journalism is declining globally".

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SynthOrange posted:

More 'lol QLD'.

To be fair, I've heard from multiple people who are studying journalism at UQ that the degree is pretty crap, and it feels like you're doing the same subject over and over again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

SynthOrange posted:

More 'lol QLD'.

It's not like you need a degree to be a journalist in Australia any more. Actually, I'm sure you could get a job at a Murdoch paper with pre-school levels of writing.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I know this thread is all anti-Malcolm, but this is a pro-tier quote...

"I just have to say to Mr Bolt, he proclaims loudly that he is a friend of the government. Well with friends like Bolt, we don't need any enemies."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz33RUl86RE

----------

This is A Good Analysis, and the general observation that GDP per capita has been falling for a decade is something rarely touched upon in the MSM. Apparently stuffing Sydney full of family reunification visas and basing prosperity off boomers trading residential property with each other isn't actually the brilliant scheme we think it is.

(naturally, out of the 210k immigrants per annum, we ignore 96% of them and instead focus on the 4% RARGH TEH BOATS. It's a neat trick that the Libs have pulled - convince everyone you are A True Strayan Against Teh Immagation while artifically boosting gdp by direct flights from HK and BCIA)

It's mostly focused on the huge skew in the allocation of capital which has been driven by boomer-benefiting taxation policies, and how that misallocation is essentially strangling competetiveness and our national development.

The result is that the combination of a national obsession with real estate and some quirks in BASEL II mean that loanable funds are being shovelled en masse into a non-productive asset (housing), crowding productive sectors of the economy.

But hey, as long as we still see 6% yoy growth in Killarney Heights - gently caress you, young people.

Pickering posted:

Our national economic plan mostly involves a mixture of mining, house prices and immigration (The Big Australia Illusion, April 22. The first has diminished, the second reduces productivity and business competitiveness, and the third is not an economic plan at all.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/6/2/economy/how-housing-obsession-short-changing-business

--------------

This article on MB is right on the money, too.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/06/one-term-tony-mulls-nuclear-war-on-youth/

Macrobusiness posted:

What I ask you to do is view it in the broader context of an inter-generational war in which Australian children are being fattened up for slaughter by the failing economic model of their parents.

That’s the framework in which reform is failing and the youth are being blamed for it.

This is not liberalism in any true sense of the word. It is some weird amalgam of support for capital, baby boomer interests, political opportunism and Catholic values. What social offender is next in line?

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mithranderp posted:

To be fair, I've heard from multiple people who are studying journalism at UQ that the degree is pretty crap, and it feels like you're doing the same subject over and over again.

I did journalism at UniSA, and I'm pretty sure I did do the same subject over and over again. I had to look through my folders for a particular piece of writing I did for an assignment a couple weeks ago, it was impossible because they all have interchangeable names and subject matter.

I eventually found the piece I was looking for under 'Reporting for Print', which was a course about neither reporting nor print.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cleretic posted:

I did journalism at UniSA, and I'm pretty sure I did do the same subject over and over again. I had to look through my folders for a particular piece of writing I did for an assignment a couple weeks ago, it was impossible because they all have interchangeable names and subject matter.

I eventually found the piece I was looking for under 'Reporting for Print', which was a course about neither reporting nor print.

That's just UniSA. I was doing a degree last decade down there for IT and Communication Technologies and it was pretty mediocre.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also had the misfortune of gazing at a tabloid's front page while ordering lunch. "Barking mad: Unions demand grieving time for pet deaths"

I'd rip the poo poo out of anyone who suggests that I should be upset if any of my pets pass away. :(

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
*shouldn't?

Someone who is more motivated than me should put together before/after pictures of the cabinet from pre-election to now. Some of them have aged literally a decade in the last 3 months.

For instance, Pyne in 2013:

Pyne now:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Cleretic posted:

I did journalism at UniSA, and I'm pretty sure I did do the same subject over and over again.
So it wasn't about going over the same stuff in increasing depth/sophistication?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Foundry Dancer posted:

I've yet to see anyone pointing out how there's currently only a cap on the maximum fee that a university can charge (that's right?), and no cap on the minimum fee. That being the case, there's absolutely nothing currently stopping universitites from lowering their fees if they wanted to. Obviously then, the maximum cap is not preventing them from lowering fees. Thus, removing the cap won't make prices go down.

I mean, I know that Pyne's argument is just ideological bullshit, but this seems likie a simple and obvious argument that anyone can understand, even an Australian voter.

quote:

"For the University of Melbourne, the effect of the budget cuts already announced would be $62 million. For University of Queensland, it would be $60 million, for Deakin it'd be $43 million."
source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-02/pynes-education-gaffe-draws-fire-from-opposition-greens/5492838

Well Melb Uni, UQ and Deakin have 44,500; 48,804 and 47,000 students respectively (source: their websites) - so those cuts are $1393.25, $1,229.41, $914 per student per year. They have to be recovered somewhere hence median fees will go up unless enrolments go up to offset the fees or courses become shorter.

It is possible for median fees to go down - provided universities run private college style night courses for full fee paying students who are either overseas placements or didn't meet the front door entry requirements.

If you removed the cap you can get greater right skew so that while average prices go up (based on a few paying a lot more) the median and average can become more greatly separated, hence it is easier for median prices to decrease if there are no caps.

Edit: Anyone talking about average fees in this debate is likely leading you into a trap: Remember the average person pays the median price.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BrosephofArimathea posted:

This is A Good Analysis, and the general observation that GDP per capita has been falling for a decade is something rarely touched upon in the MSM. Apparently stuffing Sydney full of family reunification visas and basing prosperity off boomers trading residential property with each other isn't actually the brilliant scheme we think it is.

(naturally, out of the 210k immigrants per annum, we ignore 96% of them and instead focus on the 4% RARGH TEH BOATS. It's a neat trick that the Libs have pulled - convince everyone you are A True Strayan Against Teh Immagation while artifically boosting gdp by direct flights from HK and BCIA)

It's mostly focused on the huge skew in the allocation of capital which has been driven by boomer-benefiting taxation policies, and how that misallocation is essentially strangling competetiveness and our national development.

The result is that the combination of a national obsession with real estate and some quirks in BASEL II mean that loanable funds are being shovelled en masse into a non-productive asset (housing), crowding productive sectors of the economy.

But hey, as long as we still see 6% yoy growth in Killarney Heights - gently caress you, young people.

*sigh*

Learn to read graph axis.

"annualised growth"

Here's our actual GDP per capita.

While I do think there is something to be said for his advocacy for greater innovation and better business management practices his squeal about productivity is not well founded or backed up by the data. As to his claim that immigration isn't an economic plan :psyduck: Investment in Australian housing is being favoured because it has better returns than other investments. You can bemoan that and point to the problems that this may cause later on but how to manage it will be by abolishing negative gearing, capital gains tax exemptions and discounts (etc) things that he doesn't even mention.

So :itwaspoo: not 'A Good Analysis' as you suggest.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

*shouldn't?

Someone who is more motivated than me should put together before/after pictures of the cabinet from pre-election to now. Some of them have aged literally a decade in the last 3 months.

For instance, Pyne in 2013:

Pyne now:

He really has some avian like quality to his features, doesn't he?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Murodese posted:

Pyne now:
Can't' it be AIDS?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Chips posted:

So it wasn't about going over the same stuff in increasing depth/sophistication?

There was some of that, and some of just talking about the same poo poo again, and either way it just blended together. It didn't help that, again, the courses either had incredibly similar names or names that held no relation to the content ('Reporting for Print' was about freelance web journalism, 'Digital Journalism' was about video journalism), so good loving luck looking back and working out what was done where.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

More 'lol QLD'.

I have a friend who does journalism at UQ; judging by his writing, journalism courses teach nothing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Those On My Beet posted:

He really has some avian like quality to his features, doesn't he?

They do say that birds are evolutionarily close to reptiles after all.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Cartoon posted:

*sigh*

Here's our actual GDP per capita.

That is scary when you stop and think - why should it be so high in comparison to the rest of the world, and what can be done to keep it that high? Should it be subject to mean reversion then it will impact those who are dependant on wages the hardest.

Also graphs should never be normalised at their furthest point in the past. The "everybody at 100%" position should be at the end of the graph so you can look back over time and see where everyone was relative to 'now'. Essentially this is saying things about how we moved through the GFC - and that came down to resources boom, lack of competition in the market generally, lack of a manufacturing sector, lack of competition in banking, and a critical housing shortage in Sydney, rather than anything that any government did.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gen. Tony Abbott and Brig. Gen. Joe Hockey with their supporting staff disembark on Bondi Beach to liberate Australia from the carbon tax, circa 2013.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hypation posted:

It is possible for median fees to go down - provided universities run private college style night courses for full fee paying students who are either overseas placements or didn't meet the front door entry requirements.

Edit: Anyone talking about average fees in this debate is likely leading you into a trap: Remember the average person pays the median price.

Um, I pretty sure they already do that to some extent; I remember seeing a lot of business/economic students around 6-7pm. Say we go all out on night courses, where are all the additional teaching staff going to come from? Where are their offices? Wouldn't we require more on-duty custodians, food and admin staff? Extra classes are going to put additional wear on the building/equipment, and require more frequent maintenance. There's a lot of basic logistical questions that would not make your claim true at face value.

So your solution is to overcharge a whole population of 'rubes' to make your traditional education 'relatively cheaper'. This makes total sense, and isn't some bullshit that only the most braindamaged people will eat up.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Tokamak posted:

Um, I pretty sure they already do that to some extent; I remember seeing a lot of business/economic students around 6-7pm. Say we go all out on night courses, where are all the additional teaching staff going to come from? Where are their offices? Wouldn't we require more on-duty custodians, food and admin staff? Extra classes are going to put additional wear on the building/equipment, and require more frequent maintenance. There's a lot of basic logistical questions that would not make your claim true at face value.

So your solution is to overcharge a whole population of 'rubes' to make your traditional education 'relatively cheaper'. This makes total sense, and isn't some bullshit that only the most braindamaged people will eat up.

If you were a business and finance lecturer you would understand that "scaling" is a triviality, and not a serious concept that expanding businesses need to deal with.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Senor Tron posted:

a few dozen of them rode, risking certain brain damage

36% of the entire city of Copenhagen risk certain brain damage at least twice every day and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

Australian law is the example held up as "worst practice" by other countries and cities when considering transport policy and trying to increase rates of commuter cycling.

Australia has bigger problems to worry about, but it's not helpful at all to perpetuate this kind of crap.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Tokamak posted:

To some extent. MBA classes in the city run from 6pm to 10pm. There is nothing like that at the main campus. Also turning up for block classes on weekends, the university is pretty much a ghost town compared to in-semester weekdays. So there definitely is the scope for higher utilisation.

Also in delivering the additional services you will incur additional costs. But you're still picking up net margin even if all you end up going is amortising building / land costs over a larger base.

Also re the rube argument - why write someone off because they bombed their HSC or equivalent? If they have the desire to pay to get in why not let them? Unless you are worried about the l33tness of your degree with those people around.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's important that universities run at 100% capacity from start to finish to maximise the return, just like a supercomputer.

Come to think of it we're wasting a lot of resources by letting them lie idle overnight. Primary schools should have at least three shifts.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2014

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

open24hours posted:

It's important that universities run at 100% capacity from start to finish to maximise the return, just like a supercomputer.

Come to think of it we're wasting a lot of resources by letting them lie idle overnight. Primary schools should have at least three shifts.

That's the longest I've ever waited for a account gimmick I've ever seen. Well done.

Is there a good arguing points cheat sheet re university funding And The hecs indexing change?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Does anyone have that Bill Shorten 'I believe...' gif handy? I couldn't find it

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

SynthOrange posted:

Also had the misfortune of gazing at a tabloid's front page while ordering lunch. "Barking mad: Unions demand grieving time for pet deaths"

I'd rip the poo poo out of anyone who suggests that I should be upset if any of my pets pass away. :(

Just in case anyone missed it, the MUA did not claim for pet bereavement and there is no record of any other union doing it. The story is calculated to continue the 'those bloody unions, ruining this country' cranky old-person narrative.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mad Katter posted:

36% of the entire city of Copenhagen risk certain brain damage at least twice every day and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them.
Clearly the solution is to move all cyclists with lovely hair to Denmark

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Fairfax is saying the person behind the $200,000 LNP donation is most likely Reg Grundy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mad Katter posted:

Australian law is the example held up as "worst practice" by other countries and cities when considering transport policy and trying to increase rates of commuter cycling.

Australia has bigger problems to worry about, but it's not helpful at all to perpetuate this kind of crap.

That was tongue in cheek.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Cartoon posted:

In which case I hope you have excluded yourself from being an organ recipient:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/asylum-seeker-dies-after-suffering-burns-to-90-per-cent-of-his-body-20140601-39c4w.html

He took his life because it was his only way of having agency in his life and in doing so deliberately helped others in the country that had refused to help him.

Between him and you I know who I'd prefer to have living next to me.

The further we go, the more and more rational, cool and collected BB seems

How long until we're all murdering soldiers in their sleep

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Cartoon posted:

Learn to read graph axis.

I can 'read graph axis'. I just can't type phone keyboard. And wasn't even referring to that graph, since using a 5y ama is pointless when talking about a trend over a short period. I apologise, King of Axes. Yet the point stands just the same - for the dozens of articles pushing the line that gdp at 2.x-3% is a result of 'good economic management', it's actually boosted by large inflows in net immigration, mainly by governments running an overt anti-immigration platform.

Cartoon posted:

his squeal about productivity is not well founded or backed up by the data.

Well that really depends which set of data (and assumptions, especially around how you decide to define 'productivity' - which I don't think he even states) you choose to accept, and whether you want to quibble about semantics and basis error. Redell and Betts certainly agree with him. IGR 10 doesnt. The PC falls somewhere in the middle.

Cartoon posted:

Investment in Australian housing is being favoured because it has better returns than other investments. You can bemoan that and point to the problems that this may cause later on but how to manage it will be by abolishing negative gearing, capital gains tax exemptions and discounts (etc) things that he doesn't even mention.

Returns driven almost entirely by taxation policies which encourage speculation on (potential, generally unquantified) capital appreciation rather than real returns (with the help of the aforementioned CARs out of b2). Which he has addressed a dozen times in the past, so probably didn't feel the need to repeat them in this article, especially since it was about a different topic.

Therefore making it :itwaspoo:, apparently.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Mr Chips posted:

Clearly the solution is to move all cyclists with lovely hair to Denmark

"Vain cyclists who are too precious about their hair" is a lovely straw man.

Places like Paris, Montreal and New York City have enormously successful bikeshare systems now, but nobody uses the systems in Melbourne or Brisbane.

Bikeshare programs are successful because they are easy and convenient for people to use, but carrying a helmet around with you all day is neither.

• Locked thread