Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Someone said in a far older thread that having an American trying to speak Brit slang would be like a white guy just randomly trying to speak Ebonics to a black dude. I don't know how right he was. I mean in terms of it being viewed as humorous or offensive to Brits.

I wonder if someone in London would even have a moments pause to hearing someone speak with an American accent. Like over here some dude can whip out his British accent in a bar and chicks will loving rape him. But over there I imagine the whole American thing is probably pretty over-saturated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Good article. I get so tired of reading articles on America that basically say, "America's poo poo and full of fucks". Seems like it's us Americans who have the lowest opinions of ourselves in those regards though.

The article did make me wonder, what the Christ is up with clothes washers in the kitchen? I saw this a lot on the UK version of 'How Clean is your House' and I could not figure it out. Where the hell is your clothes dryer? Why would you keep them in two separate locations?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Any good reason why? Especially when you consider how many notable chefs the UK has produced?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

In South Carolina, all history covered before the US existed definitely was written from the perspective of the English. It's undeniable that England forms the bedrock of American identity, at least within the areas of their former colonies.

Seriously. It's basically "Columbus discovered America... then the Brits completely colonized it!"

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

redreader posted:

Very much yes. I've been told that I'm lucky to be here (USA), especially if people find out I'm South African. (also yes, people here love my 'sexy british accent') since most Americans can't tell the difference between SA/AUS/NZ/UK accents.

Well look at the common perception of Africa basically all being the same place, full of starving and uneducated black folk who are all dying of aids, raping women like crazy, and are also pirates sometimes. Watching ten seconds of any charity infomercial would leave you convinced that everyone there would die instantly without the rest of the world constantly dumping money and food on them. Plus you gotta love that it somehow ended up smaller than Greenland on the world map.

Watching that one episode of the West Wing where they showed the accurate world map, where Africa is actually so goddamn huge everything else could fit into it literally blew my mind.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Radio Talmudist posted:

Americans, especially kids, get their knowledge of the United Kingdom from two places: our educational system, which teaches us the grand story of our founding fathers resisting the yoke of the foul tyrant King George III (rarely mentioning the nuances of that conflict...

Not to mention the whole "...oh, and the French may have been involved somehow" aspect.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1778 France recognized the United States of America as a sovereign nation, signed a military alliance, went to war with Britain, built coalitions with the Netherlands and Spain that kept Britain without a significant ally of its own, provided the Americans with grants, arms and loans, sent a combat army to serve under George Washington, and sent a navy that prevented the second British army from escaping from Yorktown in 1781. In all, the French spent about 1.3 billion livres (in modern currency, approximately thirteen billion U.S. dollars) to support the Americans directly, not including the money it spent fighting Britain on land and sea outside the U.S

My eighth-grade self would of called bullshit on this because everyone knows Mel Gibson won the war by confounding the poo poo out of the Brits merely by hiding behind trees while shooting at them.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Carnival of Shrews posted:

How common are regional theatre performances in the US?

Quite actually. Even smaller cities are likely to have a theater. Once something leaves Broadway it basically tours the US, hitting these theaters with toned-down performances. Wicked, for example, has been very popular in my city. We have a local troop as well. They put on some pretty big productions too considering a far more limited budget.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

The comments on that video are awful. So racist. Even worse, nobody wrote a word against the racism, but plenty of people wrote words agreeing with him.

SourceCode posted:

Filthy loving savage black animal monkey peace of poo poo , and gently caress all brits for letting those monkeys take over uk , ur a loving shame to europe and earths society , your london has become londonistan , and your streets have savage riots from the monkeys burning down and robbing all your stores and businesses, destroying your daily lifes and culture , this is what uk deserves

Guy Replying to Source Code posted:

amen brother.

Guy Replying to Source Code posted:

I really respect you man, these black people hosed the UK, the riots in Tottenham, man head chopped off in Woolwich, black people selling drugs on streets, black gangs etc. I mean why is this country even called England ? It should be Africa. Bring back the slave trade or this will never end.

So how bad is racism in the UK? Do you guys have anything like America's KKK?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Radio Talmudist posted:

Our customer service (outside of industries like banking or telecommunications) is loving incredible...

The problem being that Americans basically view anything less than absolute obedience on the part of the associate trying to help them as bad customer service. And businesses have become so fearful of negative reviews by rear end in a top hat customers that they're bending over backwards to cater to these people who should rightfully be booted out of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Axetrain posted:

Doesn't the royal family get paid something on the order of 50 million pounds a year for the tourism they supposedly bring? how could they possibly be strapped for cash.

I thought they made most of their money renting out their lands?

• Locked thread