Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Well any pub with a telly gets very full of shouty drunk men. So things can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well any pub with a telly gets very full of shouty drunk men. So things can happen.

To be reasonable this is hardly the world cup, I went to watch the CL final with some Spanish friends and the only reason we didn't get thrown out was the bouncers were clearly making GBS threads themselves and hoping we calmed down the one lad taking it too personally.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bozza posted:

The life of a Leeds United fan mate, I know your pain.

Best fans though.
Best anthem too... which no-one quite knows the words to.

It's a bit like the national anthem in that respect.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

Best anthem too... which no-one quite knows the words to.

It's a bit like the national anthem in that respect.

If you want an anthem people know the words to you could always switch your allegiance to the One True Team

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nah, can't stand burgundy.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What are you, middle class or somethin'?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh, definitely.

I only slum it in stands smelling of piss in the vain hope that one day, the chant of "we hate Chelsea" will actually have some loving meaning again.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Im supporting Argentina.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

If you want an anthem people know the words to you could always switch your allegiance to the One True Team

I don't know, I find always blowing bubbles pretty annoying, not as annoying as as Bristol Rover's Good Night Irene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onOJ-QgXY0
Is more up beat!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

World Cup 2014: Comedian Andy Zaltzman presents his neutral's guide to picking a team

Andy Zaltzman posted:

If Brazil win the World Cup on home soil, the explosion of joy will, scientists believe, be of sufficient Earth-shaking magnitude to prompt a spontaneous Armageddon. Most people in Brazil would happily accept that trade-off, and several billion others around the globe would probably consider the end of the world to be a price worth paying to see the look on the Brazilian nation's collective football-loving face should Scolari's team triumph.

The 2014 Brazilians may lack the panache of their predecessors, relying on disappointingly monosyllabic forwards such as Fred, Jo, Hulk, Thud, Puke, Goat and Plank, but the mere sight of their yellow shirts can turn even the most functional of footballing pragmatists misty-eyed with recollections of Pelé's 1970 team of genius, and that 1982 side of Zico, Socrates and Eder, whose football made you want to dig up long-dead relatives, blast some strong coffee into their faces, and shout: "What are you doing being dead, you idiot? Wake up now, you do not want to miss this".

Neutral Supportability Rating (NSR): 87%

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

I don't know, I find always blowing bubbles pretty annoying, not as annoying as as Bristol Rover's Good Night Irene.

Bubbles is a nigh-perfect footall anthem, being about hopes and dreams being crushed. Basically if that doesn't apply to the football team you support then you will be second against the wall (with first reserved for those who think that qualifying for the champions league counts as fulfilling a dream)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bubbles is a nigh-perfect footall anthem, being about hopes and dreams being crushed. Basically if that doesn't apply to the football team you support then you will be second against the wall (with first reserved for those who think that qualifying for the champions league counts as fulfilling a dream)

See also my club Exeter's favourite of "We'll Score Again" to the tune of the Vera Lynn classic

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I like the World Cup but I never support England and Northern Ireland/Ireland are too crap to play in it anyway. For any given match up I just support my favourite country of the two.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

L'internationale is about the proletariat rising up, Bubbles is about what happens five minutes later.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I, for one, am behind Croatia this time, because the Balkan style of "If they're not wearing the same strip as you, break their loving legs" is a style I can get behind.

I do agree with that article that Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia should all group into Balkans United FC, and leave nothing but a trail of destruction. Like, Brazil can play all their half-dancing-half-football all they like, I will be kept watching if a man named Bogdan executes a running dropkick to a south American man's knee.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
USA will win this year!!!! :911:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 2, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I do agree with that article that Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia should all group into Balkans United FC, and leave nothing but a trail of destruction. Like, Brazil can play all their half-dancing-half-football all they like, I will be kept watching if a man named Bogdan executes a running dropkick to a south American man's knee.

Yes... perhaps... they could call it Yugoslavia... just spitballin' here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JFairfax posted:

Yes... perhaps... they could call it Yugoslavia... just spitballin' here.

Yugoslavia existing purely to create an incredibly violent football team.

A true utopia.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Somewhat related, I love this song, because although I don't really support a team, I imagine that this sort of resigned-to-failure feeling is the most common among genuine fans of all clubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLttHozef0s

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45NOP1OA-EQ

the football song for people who know nothing about nor care for football

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Farecoal posted:

USa will win this year!!!! :911:

Has Jozy scored a goal yet?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Its coming home.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The best football team to support is whoever Metropolitan Police FC are playing against in the Isthmian Premier division. :colbert:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Do they take a cab to away games?

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Pretty sure Metropolitan Police FC aren't allowed anywhere near Brazil thanks to their appalling shots on target statistic.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

tdrules posted:

Pretty sure Metropolitan Police FC aren't allowed anywhere near Brazil thanks to their appalling shots on target statistic.

Oh you. :golfclap:

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
Requesting a new thread title: UK Megathread June: World Cup Megathread 2014

I'm planning to be in Belfast on the 7th of June. Any Norn Iron goons want to fill me in on whether I should be avoiding going outside during that time? It sounds like poo poo is once again hitting proverbial fans over there right now.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Indeterminacy posted:

I'm planning to be in Belfast on the 7th of June. Any Norn Iron goons want to fill me in on whether I should be avoiding going outside during that time? It sounds like poo poo is once again hitting proverbial fans over there right now.

Unless I'm missing some coverage, it appears to (just) be anti-immigration violence, there's probably 100x the amount of it happening over here thanks to the kippers, just it isn't being reported on.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I really liked Ghana last time I saw them play because the average age of their team was 19 and they were all sprinting around flat out for 90 minutes and their goalkeeper ran out to meet every attack. Just felt like a realy active style that was more fun to watch than the probably technically better pass it around thing that most teams do.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I ended up watching Japan vs Brazil a few World Cups ago (turns out it was 2006, gently caress) and found them a really fun team to watch. Tend to be about half the height of other teams but they run rings around them with technical skill. It's just a shame they tend to lost but they play the game by the rules, instead of the more European style of taking a dive all over the place.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I went to grammar school and it was great. I hope this helps.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Bozza posted:

Spent all today doing marching band in a Guildford park after drinking until 4AM last night. Was interesting.
Have you moved down to the soft and decadent South? I'll come and watch your band in Guildford next time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jack the Lad posted:

I really liked Ghana last time I saw them play because the average age of their team was 19 and they were all sprinting around flat out for 90 minutes and their goalkeeper ran out to meet every attack. Just felt like a realy active style that was more fun to watch than the probably technically better pass it around thing that most teams do.

And then they were single-handedly eliminated by Luis Suarez.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Saki posted:

I went to grammar school and it was great. I hope this helps.

Unless you're over 50, you didn't go to a tripartite-era grammar school, which is the important point.

If you ARE over 50 you really should find a better hobby than pretending to be a right wing tool.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The best football team to support is whoever Metropolitan Police FC are playing against in the Isthmian Premier division. :colbert:

They don't seem the Wurzels type though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZBWSj-Yzk

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Indeterminacy posted:

I think you mean UK Men's Team: World Cup Megathread 2014 - It's Coming Home in a Vauxhall

TinTower posted:

And then they were single-handedly eliminated by Luis Suarez.
:golfclap:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Grammar schools are so appealing because everyone is convinced that of course their (Special and very smart) children will get into one of these "Better schools". If it does come back I'm sure it'll work marvelously right up until people realize that their (Special and very smart) kids aren't getting in.

I went to a Private School and thus get to look down on everyone involved.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Fans posted:

I went to a Private School and thus get to look down on everyone involved.

From the hastily erected gallows.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
^^^- best post itt, close and move on

Zephro posted:

Have you moved down to the soft and decadent South? I'll come and watch your band in Guildford next time.

My band is based there, we usually practice near Pirbright, so I get the train from Reading cos lol gently caress Surrey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The best sports thing will be finished by the 18th. I can only care about one sport at a time, unless it's the Olympics.

Not a big football fan, but I do quite like the World Cup. Everyone gets so very excited. :3:

• Locked thread