Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is the June 2014 chat thread, bring all derails and shitposts here, etc. April thread was here!

I feel like asking questions this time, so let's ask some questions. What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
That's not the Touhou RPG. One day I will finish rewriting the Touhou RPG. It'll be much better this time. I promise.

Also, I am absolutely finishing Endless Adventures this month. So then I can go back to work on the Touhou RPG. (After The Ruined World, Base Circumstance, and Galvant! Space Hijinx.)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Running Monsterhearts, but as of this week that's on temporary hiatus for an Idigam Chronicle playtest game. Not currently playing anything, dammit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Atomic Robo RPG sure has become popular, has it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bahamut posted:

That's not the Touhou RPG. One day I will finish rewriting the Touhou RPG. It'll be much better this time. I promise.

Which of them? Danmaku Yuugi?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Atomic Robo RPG sure has become popular, has it?

Gorbash is running a NyarlathoTech Atomic Robo hack. I always approve of people making games out of my setting. :allears:

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Which of them? Danmaku Yuugi?

Tale of Phantasmal Land. The one where I changed the base mechanic from 2d6 to 1d6-1d6 at the last moment before making a public pdf and spectacularly hardcore hosed poo poo up in the process without somehow realizing it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Still running AdEva, and applying to Destrado's Atomic Robo game.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Reading Atomic Robo and Dark Sun (the book about the atomic bomb, not the game setting). Running a Tianxia game I need to kick back into gear now that I'm back from vacation. Planning to run an NyarlathoTect game!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm still working out my anime as gently caress Dungeon World PbP because all the other anime as gently caress PbPs have been severely lacking in Matsumoto anime styling, aka the best animes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ettin posted:

Gorbash is running a NyarlathoTech Atomic Robo hack. I always approve of people making games out of my setting. :allears:

You should make a Nyarlathotech thing and sell it.

And then hire me to write up a thing on Algol Extraterran Interests.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Currently playing in a TBZ PBP, reading Atomic Robo with an eye towards maybe doing an InCryptid hack, and getting ready to run a Feng Shui 2.0 playtest and play in a NWOD Changeling game, possibly.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Retrocausality first, then Breakfast Cult :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Somebody please stop me from blowing my last batch of store credit before I quit this job on buying a Warhammer Fantasy battalion.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was so excited that we were talking about the fundamentals of playing-yourself RPG campaigns that I did not think to check the date. Catastrophe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Anyway, about what I'm running, prepping to do 13th Age (but set in Theros). Overall, I'm pretty happy with the system. It's not perfect, but it's decent.

Less happy with some of the writing, which has lost a lot of the subtlety and, as a result, a lot of what I found really interesting about the more ambiguous Icons, but that's why I'm using a different setting.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mors Rattus posted:

That's what I keep telling him. The whole PbP forum is full of stuff that could reasonably be monetized.

As to the question...Lemme think...Monsterhearts, Apocalypse World, FATE Nyarlathotech, FATE Breakfast Cult, FATE Sigma Protocol, FATE Anime Changeling the Lost, FATE .hack, FATE Devil Survivor, a Technoir game, FATE mecha, GURPS Lost Highway, Double Cross, an experimental tanks game...and I've apped to another Dresden Files FATE game AND an Atomic Robo FATE game. And a game where I'm playing the Axis and getting my butt kicked in the LP forum.

My god. :stare: I have a problem.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Got a friend on the fence about GMing Esoterrorists. I hope he does run it, because I and another guy in the (usually) board game group are default GMs, and I know we're both looking for a chance to put on the player shoes and run.

I've been eyeing up Fiasco because it looks spectacular, but I don't have the money to put towards it right now. My preorder 13th Age Bestiary should be here soon though, and I've got friends coming back into the area, so maybe that. Magical flying islands are always popular, right? Because they're always the eggs of god like beings from beyond the stars

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's not June for another hour and a half. :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Reading Atomic Robo and Dark Sun (the book about the atomic bomb, not the game setting). Running a Tianxia game I need to kick back into gear now that I'm back from vacation. Planning to run an NyarlathoTect game!

How is Tianxia?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Last weekend my friends and I played Dungeon Crawl Classics for the first time, using the one published 0-level adventure, Sailors on the Starless Sea. In true DCC fashion, we started with 12 characters and ended with 6. Well, technically, we started with 12, 3 died in the first encounter, then they rescued some captured villagers and rolled up replacements, then another 6 died. It was great.

Next week or so we're going to try a different adventure, Bride of the Black Manse, which is a timed level-3 adventure.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think I'm officially past one whole year of running an almost weekly game of 13th Age. People's schedules are starting to get squirrely, but I'm hoping we can carry through all the way to the finale.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
This is all I know about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZlQ1WSn5U

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

PublicOpinion posted:

I think I'm officially past one whole year of running an almost weekly game of 13th Age. People's schedules are starting to get squirrely, but I'm hoping we can carry through all the way to the finale.

That's impressive! My weekly 13th Age game broke down around level 6 (with them gaining a level every 2 sessions or so). We are still vowing to go back and formally end it, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not June for another hour and a half. :colbert:

How is Tianxia?

Beautiful book and the Martial Arts are quite clever. Even I (FATE Core hater) like how they implemented it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ettin posted:

What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:
I'm still running a Doctor Who game -- it's a bit stalled out right now. It's been a while since I've run anything, and it's gone off the rails. The first half of this story went quite well, a lot of excitement, mystery-solving and office-rifling (I never knew these guys were so into going through other people's things!). The second half devolved into a find-these-four-items quest, and just isn't going as I'd hoped. I'm going to do the bit of it I still like (overpowered adventures in a VR MMO), and then I'm thinking about prematurely wrapping the rest with the ant-people versions of Mulder and Scully swooping in with the other three McGuffins and an "I guess you owe us a favor now".

I'm sitting on a pile of recently-acquired RPGs, none of which I've managed to read. I want to make a concerted effort to change that -- and I think I'll start with Corporia.

With the D&D basic box coming in July, I've got a small group excited about giving it a shot, so I think that'll be the next non-one-shot game we play.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Spincut posted:

That's impressive! My weekly 13th Age game broke down around level 6 (with them gaining a level every 2 sessions or so). We are still vowing to go back and formally end it, though.

Even crazier, we've only lost two people who were officially part of the campaign. We've kept the same crew for what must be ten months now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Ettin posted:

I feel like asking questions this time, so let's ask some questions. What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:

Running: Pendragon.
Reading: just started a reread of the Leverage RPG I bought on a DriveThruRPG sale a while back.
Planning to run: kind of toying with the idea of doing a Paragons campaign using Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, maybe with a Days of Future past twist where everyone superpowered was thought killed a long time, but new superhumans suddenly appear again.

But what I really want is to see either a The Quiet Year or Dog Eat Dog game through to its conclusion.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

homerlaw posted:

This is all I know about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZlQ1WSn5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFR48-1mcBw

So the group i play RPGs with, some of us watch Black Butler, and the aforementioned Jojo's.

Looking back on many of our table top characters, holy poo poo on a cracker were a lot of them inspired by those two anime.

I literally played an over excellent crazed butler in one of our Spirit of the Century campaigns.

:psyduck:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm nearing 1 year on my 2.5ishE Exalted Dragonblooded Campaign. Working with one PC to develop a custom Martial Arts style that's part Tron, part Speed Force.

Is it normal as a GM or whatever to feel really excited about the finale and stuff even though you know it's awhile off because you think your players are going to really enjoy it?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Davin Valkri posted:

That's what I keep telling him. The whole PbP forum is full of stuff that could reasonably be monetized.

You can turn your brain-thoughts into upwards of tens of dollars.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

I'm running 13th Age organized play for my (former) Encounters group.

I'm barely playing anything because I never get to play anything except Encounters. :(

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I'm coming to terms with my IRL Inverse World game coming apart. Nothing wrong with the content itself, it's just that we're all adults with busy schedules and I'm on the cusp of moving to a different state. I just joined a D&D Next pbp; despite all the dumb decisions, I guess I'm still brand-loyal enough to try it.

Honestly, though, it's making me yearn for 4e combat. Enough that I'm thinking about running a thing for pbp or roll20. Back in our college days, we used to have this metagame called "Fight Monsters!!," where the DM just rolled up encounters randomly in the back of the 3e DMG, roll on the random treasure table if we beat it, and repeat until we got tired. We mainly did this whenever the usual DM couldn't run their game or whatever, so it didn't completely replace a campaign for us. When 4e came out, I wanted to do the same thing, but we all got busy, and I dedicated myself to running a regular game so I never go around to it. Point being, I think I'd like to try it now with better players. Maybe even have the peanut gallery (read "better 4e encounter designers than me") submit encounters to run.

I'll probably get a recruit thread up in a week or two when I get the framework hammered out and have a free weekend.

Oh, I'm also supposed to run some Edge of the Empire for another local group. And I'm running the 13th Age adventure for Free RPG Day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RPZip posted:

You can turn your brain-thoughts into upwards of tens of dollars.

That's still more than most of my thoughts are worth.

Yesterday marked the official end of the Shadowrun 4E game I was involved in over in TGR, called on account of GM health issues. Children overboard kicked things off on April 4th 2013 and it ran fairly steadily for a year or so before finally sailing into the west as all games do. In that time we rescued hostages, blew up an APC, set fire to a mega-mall as a distraction, jumped out of an elevated tram onto a building's rooftop, rescued a sasquatch, set a horde of angry devil rats against corporate security personnel, shot up Filipino vampires, boarded a high-security prison transport ship, emancipated an artificial intelligence, killed a super-powered insect spirit monster with naval artillery, hijacked an airplane, and generally lied, swindled, robbed, and schemed as much as possible. It was pretty swell.

Things ended in the middle of an urban gunfight with Ares' version of a CIA wetworks squad, a bunch of humorless men and women in black sporting laser weapons against our group of miscreants and misfits. They had incoming air support, we had a nest of feral ghouls which we were kiting their way with a spirit acting as bait. You could say it was anybody's game but honestly I'm pretty sure those guys were hosed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am running a completely off the rails Savage Worlds/Realms of Cthulhu game that swings wildly between dark comedy and apocalyptic horror. Both because that is kind of how I roll and because we generally go six months without playing and then play a half-dozen times in three weeks, and all the built up insanity everyone has been thinking about tends to come out at once.

I have been letting the group use the Adventure Deck to keep things interesting (particularly since everyone used to love playing TORG and it brings back memories), and I said that if anyone drew one of the blank cards he could draw up his own card as long as it was in the spirit of the game and I would let it ride.

So at the climax of an expedition into the nightmare-occupied Philippines to try to find one guy's family, they end up running head-first into a returning villain they had eluded rather than defeated several games earlier, complete with a huge number of reinforcements.

The dude with the blank card asked for a few minutes, and handed me a card reading "...Octopus?" with a Goonies logo and a drawing of a confused octopus, with the flavor text "A major scene is suddenly over, and only confused glances bear witness to the fact that it ever occurred."

After I finished laughing, I narrated their triumphant escape on their ship: several of them bruised and bleeding but otherwise OK, one of them covered in yellow paint, and another patting the head of a friendly dog he had never seen before; all triumphantly exulting the genius behind their improbable victory.

I want all games to come with a built-in "once per campaign" nuclear option like this, haha. It was so delightful.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
This might sound weird, but does anyone ever wonder what Christopher Paolini is up to these days? It's like he fell off the face of the Earth after the Eragon fad died down.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Running a Pathfinder game, high Mythic high magic high fantasy.

Starting another Pathfinder game set in the Pathfinder campaign setting.

Reading? The Sten series. Back to an old friend while I do some work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Libertad! posted:

This might sound weird, but does anyone ever wonder what Christopher Paolini is up to these days? It's like he fell off the face of the Earth after the Eragon fad died down.

No, because he sucked and his books sucked.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

How is Tianxia?

Good! It's a very strong implementation of Fate Core concepts and emulates wuxia well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bahamut posted:

Tale of Phantasmal Land. The one where I changed the base mechanic from 2d6 to 1d6-1d6 at the last moment before making a public pdf and spectacularly hardcore hosed poo poo up in the process without somehow realizing it.

ohhh i think i heard it before... I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Playing: nWod Mortals, and two different MHRPG games, all here on the forums.
Running: nope
Reading: I'm finishing up my first read-through of Worm it fuckin owns.

• Locked thread