Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Bring back linen summer whites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Catch-22, even though it's about the air force

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also I haven't read it but My Nuclear Family is about my boat, and I'm apparently in it. The guy who wrote it is a tremendous rear end, but I haven't heard that it's particularly inaccurate.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Aren't you in like month 2 of school

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

itsrobbiej posted:

Nuke Sub MM. Yes, the detailer was the one who put the request for the orders in. January 2015.
I think it will just be a "hey lemme ride your rear end" thing until it's all set.

The nuke detailers have been worthless for time immemorial. Lord knows why, it's not like there's really that much variety in billets, all they really need is to ask you which ocean you prefer and then send you to the other one. Maybe they just get broken really fast by the countless nukes that call them up just to release low, minutes-long screams of agony

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cerekk posted:

Spending $50k on a car isn't a "good idea" but it's completely doable on a military salary if that's the thing you choose to spend your money on. If you're spending 100 bucks a week at the bar, that's $50k after 10 years. If you have a roommate, the BAH you're banking instead of spending on rent is $50k after ~6 years. You've probably spent $50k over the last 14 years on your smartphone, cable, and internet bills. Having a baby costs $50k in under 5 years.

Granted most military people with nice cars are walking stereotypes that are upside down in debt for them, and most people that are responsible enough to afford a nice car on a military salary are also budget-savvy enough to not spend that kind of money on a car, but affording it is completely possible. Especially for guys that reenlist for $90k.

Are you even remotely being serious with this math, I honestly can't tell

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

buttplug posted:

Yes and no. Your credit card balance-to-limit ratio should be no more than 30%. If you've got a card with a 10k limit, it will hurt your FICO score if you consistently have more than 30% utilization regardless of whether or not you're making your payments on time. But yea, generally as long as you're making payments on anything it's a good thing. However, credit card debt is one of those things that you really don't *need* to carry to have a good FICO score (if you have other sources of good debt like I mentioned previously to demonstrate fiscal discipline).

The really problem is that a lot of people don't just have 1 credit card, they feel they have to have 6 and carry a 50% balance on 3, and max out the other 3.

Junior sailors, especially ones living on ship / in the barracks, aren't going to have a lot of sources of 'good debt' like rent/mortgage. They will have a cell phone, though, and putting that monthly bill on a CC, setting up autopayment and then tossing the CC in a drawer and forgetting about it is about the best thing they can do for their credit, sticking to a check card for everything more day to day.

The only other thing they can really do to build credit is buy a car and pay %rape interest rates on a loan, and they usually gently caress up that whole process eight different ways anyway

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Navy still worships Mahan like a golden god so a book from the late 18th still being in the curriculum would hardly be a stretch

E: Preble too and he's nearly that old himself

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Not searchable but includes original illustrations

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=LsdPpUcYxD4C

E: nm, of course it's searchable

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I remember what you're talking about but I'm not putting that in my search history

It's wasn't one guy either, it was like an entire IG office or something

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Putting in a package has its downsides (lots of paperwork, may piss off command) but it's not like you're required to take it if you get accepted

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
drat near everyone in the Navy gets mad if you generate work for them, and if someone isn't directly involved in the paperwork and routing they may still have visions of a watchbill hole in the distant future to fill. Just in general there are tons of people in leadership who resent anything that introduces a chance of uncertainty in plans. Yes you would think the mil of all places would avoid that, but it's proportional to how far they've Peter Principled past their level of incompetence, and the mil takes all the limiters off Petering out.

The packets don't move fast and people's lives and future outlooks change, especially when they're junior sailors. I got told to put in a STA package in nuke school, didn't, got a CMC chewing for it, another guy in my class got picked up and for reasons (mostly the STA program was brand new at the time) he got stuck cooling his heels at prototype for years before they sent him off to college. If I'd done that it would've had me hitting the fleet as probably a zero-sea-time butterbar nuke at drat near 30 years old and I'm not sure I would've wanted to put up with that. With nukes the go officer/get out calculus is a little different, Analogical is some intel weenie so I don't know how the lifetime income trajectory works for those guys.

Then again I got picked up for SPU and turned it down and I'm pretty sure that was a straight-up dumb move (Ket disagrees)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'll put in a token vote for Jacksonville FL, having visited there once. Not like that neck of Florida is wonderful, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than Hawaii or SD if you've got a full house, it's also going to be more or less only DDGs and your underways are going to be mostly fiddle-farting around the Caribbean. Point Loma would be one thing but I got the vibe SD got a lot of Big Navy bullshit, and I'm not sure Pearl isn't laden with it either, while Jax is pretty loving slack. I wouldn't want small kids in FL public schools, though.

If you can get one of the DDGs in/going to Roda that's the obvious choice of course

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Like I said I'm basing that off spending a few weeks in SD in a sub and only visiting the big base once. Point Loma is chill as gently caress. I've never been a West Coast guy anyway, the home ports are nice but at least in a sub you're never home, it's expensive when you're there, civilian Californians are insufferable, and I prefer Italian and Greek girls and dealing with the excessive body hair over picking up some Thai or Pinay lady and finding a penis. I don't know how the experience differs on a skimmer. Also as enlisted the last thing you want to do is roll dice and end up with some horrible support ship or carrier, and San Diego puts you at risk of both; dunno if that's as much an issue for O-gang.

I've heard a lot of mixed things (again from sub guys) about Pearl, again with the caveat that sub dudes are only seeing a week or three here and there of home port, so most of that high BAH goes to pay for an expensive empty place.

Also I said it was a token vote, I expect it to get ignored. Seriously, though, go Rota. And yeah it is Rota, I even googled it and found hits both ways, woops

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That looks incomprehensibly, painfully stupid. Also

A .docx file in 2014? Spreading a virus as a promo of a spreading virus TV show is taking, uh, viral marketing a touch too far, no?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

Then they become what every sailor dreams. :yarr:

Adrift?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Boon posted:

There is the current OODA loop, which is a USMC generated cycle. There is also a staff decision process of 6 steps which is essentially the same as the targeting cycle, don't recall the name because I'm drunk. Navy tradition (and world cup soccer).

OODA is very much Air Force, you know drat well the Marines would've found a backronym for OORA instead

Also Six Sigma and TQM actually kick rear end in the civvy world in the rare cases they're implemented properly, while mil implementations have essentially nothing to do with the concepts beyond the names. If somehow you can scam a SS green or black belt out of your command, though, they do look good on a resume.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Some officer just got a nasty complaint on his desk. We'll see what happens.

Let's see whose complaint holds more weight

- You, a sailor whose supervisor the medical chain of command can call up and chew out, if they feel like putting forth more effort than just losing your records and appointments and loving you that way

- Seaman Shmucko's 300lb (third) wife, who has three ombudsmans and the base commander's (third) wife on speed dial

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KetTarma posted:

I know a guy that came back from deployment to discover that his wife had

1) cleaned out his bank account
1a) bought a car in his name
1b) bought a house in his name
2) was living there with another guy
3) wanted divorce

He lost his clearance, got transferred to work in deck department, then was unsuccessful in suicide. I guess it's kind of a sad story.

Visualize the least assertive person you've ever met. Imagine a rather buff woman that looks miles out of his league. Naturally, the wife was cheating on him. To win everything he owned, she told the command he beat her when he found out. He moved into the barracks, got into legal trouble, etc.

However, shortly after that, she got pregnant from her trainer at the gym. Babby daddy said he didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore. She then offered to drop charges and asked him to accept her back. He did. He managed to convince himself that the baby is his despite not having sex with her for 2 years prior.

I have like four variations of this story from my boat alone, including at least one where the baby came out brown and the 'dad' still wouldn't accept the truth

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
From what I've seen, mil marriages can do OK if you:

- met her when she was past the 'formative years' that used to mean 'not a teen' but now reaches to like 26
- met her in a way that had absolutely loving nothing to do with the mil or anyone within three degrees of separation of any other DOD employee
- keep her completely and totally separate from everything and anything mil, including the base, PX, medical, and absolutely any and all social functions. Like you're a regular husband with an odd schedule and poor corporate choice in dress code.

Violate any of those and she immediately gains 300 pounds, destroys your credit cards and stocks your front porch with Tide

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We pulled into Port Canaveral (which was about the best port we ever saw, for what that tells you) one time during a particularly unpleasant underway, and I can't remember if it was the captain or the cob but one of those guys got on the 1MC before dropping liberty to give us a speech about how they didn't want to see us drinking ourselves blind and spending the night passed out in a ditch. IIRC we marched across the brow shouting "To the ditch!"

Getting a hotel room in a town like PCan when you're pulling in barely before dusk anyway is a non-happening event, we were lucky to have a duty van to shuttle guys around, so sleeping in the ditch was hardly a metaphoric event. I remember one guy came back from conking out on the beach, with half his face still covered with sticky sand, and the other half badly sunburnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What's asking gonna hurt? How on earth could they possibly gently caress you?

A question you never, ever ask about the goat locker

(Ask the dudes for recommendations, unless you were a screaming shitbird they'll probably jump to it)

• Locked thread