Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual developer conference is taking place in San Francisco, CA on June 2-6, 2014. Most importantly for casual fans, the keynote address will be at 10AM PDT on Monday, June 2. Apple usually takes this opportunity to announce new versions of its operating systems, as well as any new hardware that its ready to introduce. This year we can expect iOS 8, Mac OS X 10.10, and then whatever goofy hardware rumors you want to believe (watches, home automation, TVs, etc.). The Beats acquisition will also likely be formally addressed. We don't anticipate any new iPhone or iPad models at this time, but stranger things have happened. However, those usually come in the September-October time frame.

Apple will be providing a live stream of the keynote for OS X, iOS, and Apple TV users to watch right here. Feel free to get mad about how much this sucks for Windows or Android users, but this seems to be the norm now. Someone usually posts a cross-platform compatible link that you can drop into VLC within a few minutes of the stream starting, so keep an eye out for that. If you can't do the stream thing and feel like following a live blog, then Anandtech, Engadget, and Arstechnica are usually the best around.

Those with Developer accounts: don't forget to do your backups today! It's iOS 8 beta and OS X 10.10 Developer Preview day tomorrow :dance:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Here's hoping they make the Mac Messages app less ugly

Have any realistic iOS 8 features been rumoured beyond Healthbook?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm interested to see if they make any visual tweaks to iOS. It could use a few, especially on the home screen, where the vast majority of wallpapers people might actually use render the icon labels unreadable completely.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It'd be fantastic if they'd drop the awful nine icon limit per page in folders.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Repost from the iOS thread, but relevant:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe they've something unique for iOS 8.
Healthbook should be interesting to see how they approach it, but without any solid info on the hardware side (biometrics stuff) it'll be kind of hard to really get a grasp on it.

Honestly I'm most excited for the supposed "visual overhaul" of OSX. I've got no issues with it now but I'm wondering how far they'll push the bar (iOS 7) or if it'll be more of a gradual thing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I'm kinda thinking they might make the 10.10 DPs an open beta since they just recently opened up the seeding program.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

I'm kinda thinking they might make the 10.10 DPs an open beta since they just recently opened up the seeding program.
That's extremely optimistic and unrealistic, I think. The "open beta" you're referring to does not get the same builds as developers or even the traditional invite-only Appleseed program. We only have one release to go on since the program started, but the open beta program only received a single 10.9.3 beta release late in the development cycle while developers received nine. 10.9.3's public beta didn't even keep up with the newer builds as it neared completion. Also, 10.9.4 is already being seeded to developers, while the public channel has received nothing. Apple's likely going to restrict the open beta program to more stable builds, so I don't think there's any chance of 10.10 DP1 being released to the public -- maybe the Release Candidate in a couple of months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have to imagine we'll get a 4K Thunderbolt Display announcement tomorrow.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's extremely optimistic and unrealistic, I think. The "open beta" you're referring to does not get the same builds as developers or even the traditional invite-only Appleseed program. We only have one release to go on since the program started, but the open beta program only received a single 10.9.3 beta release late in the development cycle while developers received nine. 10.9.3's public beta didn't even keep up with the newer builds as it neared completion. Also, 10.9.4 is already being seeded to developers, while the public channel has received nothing. Apple's likely going to restrict the open beta program to more stable builds, so I don't think there's any chance of 10.10 DP1 being released to the public -- maybe the Release Candidate in a couple of months.

Yeah, you're probably right, the timing just seemed odd (like maybe they were gauging interest or something). There typically aren't many DPs anyway (I think Mavericks had 4?), so I'd expect the public seeding program to only get one or two builds at most,

That seems far more likely.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

carry on then posted:

I'm interested to see if they make any visual tweaks to iOS. It could use a few, especially on the home screen, where the vast majority of wallpapers people might actually use render the icon labels unreadable completely.

This, any high-contrast wallpaper makes the time unreadable when it can't choose if it should display the numbers in black or white.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That'd be a great excuse to budget a new Thunderbolt Display, because our diagnostic machine is hooked up to the old one; and the latest AST keeps bitching that we have to use a real Magsafe 2 to test new laptops. It got wise to us using the MagSafe adapter.

Also when I set it up for clients some of them complain about being given a 3 year old monitor; I tell 'em complain to your boss, not me.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
OSX San Diego

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's looking like it'll be 'Yosemite', judging by the banners going up at Moscone.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

If apple could get quick reply and some major keyboard improvements in iOS 8, I'll be happy

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

If I'm being realistic, that's probably what the "new hardware" rumors are about.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

It's looking like it'll be 'Yosemite', judging by the banners going up at Moscone.

Official logo leaked.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Karki posted:

If I'm being realistic, that's probably what the "new hardware" rumors are about.

Can't only the late 2013+ macbook pros do 4k at > 30hz? I wonder if that's something 10.10 can fix or work around, or if it's a product that only the newest pros can use.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ninja Rope posted:

Can't only the late 2013+ macbook pros do 4k at > 30hz? I wonder if that's something 10.10 can fix or work around, or if it's a product that only the newest pros can use.

And the new Mac Pros. Otherwise nothing else can currently. It'll be nice once Thunderbolt 2 is universal across Apple's entire Mac lineup.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SourKraut posted:

And the new Mac Pros. Otherwise nothing else can currently. It'll be nice once Thunderbolt 2 is universal across Apple's entire Mac lineup.

Maybe they'll do a half-year refresh to add it to more models?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Maybe they'll do a half-year refresh to add it to more models?
Doubtful. Apple's likely gonna price their 4K display as a professional product not for general consumers, so restricting it to the 15" rMBP and Mac Pro for now makes sense to me. Same reason I think we'll see a 4K Thunderbolt Display for about a year before we see the iMac get the same panel.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My MacBook Pro is out of warranty so it would be nice to see a replacement with plenty of power in it (I'm pre-retina here so whatever it is probably would be fine by me) and if they toss a thumb scanner on it that would be neat.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How do I load this on my Apple TV? I didn't see any "channel" that looked like it would show something like this.

I have a hot date planned with m'lady, and we're going to curl up by the fire with some champagne and watch the WWDC keynote on the big-screen.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It'll magically appear tomorrow as its own channel. No worries.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
for posterity my prediction is iBand companion device for iPhone. sensor-focused wristband with perhaps a small display (probably not.) iOS 8 introduced to be an iOS designed around iBand. novel solar or wireless charging mechanism combined with extreme power-conscious engineering means you never take it off your wrist if you don't want to. available tomorrow for $149. everyone at WWDC gets one.

nebby fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 2, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Awesome, this is early tomorrow. For some reason I thought it was Tuesday. I hope Tim Cooks announces osx is ready to download tomorrow for free and drops the mic.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Awesome, this is early tomorrow. For some reason I thought it was Tuesday. I hope Tim Cooks announces osx is ready to download tomorrow for free and drops the mic.
You can already download OSX for free.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

http://sublevel.net/re/4317/

quote:

Blurry photos claiming to be OS X 10.10 hit the web. http://cl.ly/Vq9a http://cl.ly/VpCe http://cl.ly/VojK http://cl.ly/VpgC

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Official hackintosh support coming, with a $150.00 version of OSX on the App Store, made for non-Apple hardware.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Oh god. Do I click or don't I.

Gruber's pre-game analysis got posted to Hacker News. He, as usual, posited there wouldn't be any consumer hardware releases for WWDC, which, you know, is a developer conference. Highest comment in the HN thread is, "Let me do my predicting here: Apple releases A SMARTWATCH"

So it goes.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

agarjogger posted:

Official hackintosh support coming, with a $150.00 version of OSX on the App Store, made for non-Apple hardware.

This is so not happening.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

4k @ 27" would be a much lower DPI than their other retina displays. I hope they do it right and push it to some crazy resolution that nobody has ever sold before.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

horse mans posted:

Gruber's pre-game analysis got posted to Hacker News. He, as usual, posited there wouldn't be any consumer hardware releases for WWDC, which, you know, is a developer conference. Highest comment in the HN thread is, "Let me do my predicting here: Apple releases A SMARTWATCH"

So it goes.

The smartwatch comes free with every xMac.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's more in the iOS 7 field but still pretty definitively OS X.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

horse mans posted:

He, as usual, posited there wouldn't be any consumer hardware releases for WWDC, which, you know, is a developer conference.

OTOH, the last two years, they announced updated Macbook Airs at the developer conference. And last year they announced iTunes Radio.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

These appear to be legit

http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/271itv/the_new_osx_i_took_these_photos_myself_at_apple/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'd rather be surprised in a few hours than look at leaks now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Images already pulled down :\

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Well, this was the first year I've actually worked for a company willing to send me to WWDC and then Apple pulls the invite by lottery thing "to be fair". A lottery that was not very kind to me. On a positive note I get to work from home today so I'll be able to watch the keynote on my 70" TV.

I've bought into the hype and I'm expecting the best Keynote since the initial iPhone launch. I'm hoping Apple has been able to keep something big a secret and can give us all one of those "you thought you knew, but you had no idea" moments like they have in the past.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 2, 2014

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Let me guess, the only way to watch this live-stream on a PC without installing Safari is to watch some stupid unofficial UStream account where the brain-dead commentators keep cutting away from the event to show their stupid faces and crack "jokes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

JazzFlight posted:

Let me guess, the only way to watch this live-stream on a PC without installing Safari is to watch some stupid unofficial UStream account where the brain-dead commentators keep cutting away from the event to show their stupid faces and crack "jokes?"

Pretty much minus the Safari part since that won't work on PC either. It's just ios, osx, or your apple tv

• Locked thread