Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Only had chicken tostadas, ex gf made em one night. They were loving incredible. Pico de gallo, mexican-styled sour cream (Crema?) and lime juice with shredded cheese of some sort. Refried beans too I think, hadnt had those beans served in a non-canned way before. loving fantastic, best meal in recent memory. Thats the extent of my excursion into Mexican foods. Hope you enjoyed my culinary journey!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Ewan posted:

Toad in the hole (sausages in yorkshire pudding (which is pretty much baked pancake batter))

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Haverchuck posted:

a ceviche tostada sounds kind of good to be honest

They are awesome. So are Mexican cocktails. Mariscos trucks are the loving bomb.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How the gently caress does England end up with food names like "starrey gazey pie" and "chipy butty (a contraction of bread and butter????)"

Like has it been entirely populated by retards

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

How the gently caress does England end up with food names like "starrey gazey pie" and "chipy butty (a contraction of bread and butter????)"

Like has it been entirely populated by retards

Star gazey pie. The fish are looking up at the heavens. How was that one a mystery?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Hobohemian posted:

Star gazey pie. The fish are looking up at the heavens.
I think this is a Cardiacs song

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hobohemian posted:

Star gazer pie. The fish are looking up at the heavens. How was that one a mystery?

wikipedia tells me starrey gazey is an alternative name because everything in england was named by 8-year-old children i guess

joke's on you guys, you brag about your pakoras and doners while being racist as gently caress against all the immigrants who are pushing you out of your awful loving country

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
apparently it wasn't enough for you limeys to make your food look gross as gently caress, you had to give it really gross names as well

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I had regular mild Taco Sauce and it was basically just tomato soup I poured onto my taco and I was very unsettled. I can't imagine what extra mild would be like, very unsettling.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's very tasty indeed, but don't be deceived into thinking it's some deeply traditional thing. It was invented by Big Cheese back in the '50s:

to be honest though im sure bread/butter/maybe a little cheese for protein/whatever pickled vegetables you have on hand/ale is something that people did eat for lunch in the past, it just wasn't a "thing"

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Decrepus posted:

I had regular mild Taco Sauce and it was basically just tomato soup I poured onto my taco and I was very unsettled. I can't imagine what extra mild would be like, very unsettling.

maybe its like low sodium V8

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

rezatahs posted:

holy lol

i hate to imagine what their version of indian food is like if they need old el paso to be extra mild
that's the thing, it's usually retardedly nuclear hot vindaloos and phals full of ghost peppers.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

them brits will turn anything into a puddin, huh?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm Crap posted:

that's the thing, it's usually retardedly nuclear hot vindaloos and phals full of ghost peppers.

Nuclear hot in England: Winston Churchill told the chef to glance at a picture of a serrano pepper while cooking.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Chemmy posted:

Nuclear hot in England: Winston Churchill told the chef to glance at a picture of a serrano pepper while cooking.

Nice reference. Mad props.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chemmy posted:

It's better than the midwest where people won't eat black pepper because "it's too spicy"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

everything in england was named by 8-year-old children

that's my guess

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Moridin920 posted:

it's weird how just across a channel there's some of the best cuisine in the world and yet the british just can't seem to get it together

But that would mean talking to the French.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

monkeytennis posted:

But that would mean talking to the French.

They're not even that good at cooking. They are very good at making something that is simple look like it takes way more effort than it actually does.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's very tasty indeed, but don't be deceived into thinking it's some deeply traditional thing. It was invented by Big Cheese back in the '50s:

also did you have them in the uk? i wanna go to the specialty market and put together some poo poo for one and i wanna know what to get. could not imagine eating and enjoying wedges of most american supermarket cheese

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Ewan posted:

The origins are murky, but it's generally considered an anglicised take on an Indian dish, (there is a huge Indian/Pakistani diaspora in the UK). It's often considered the UK's "national dish".

From a speech made by our Foreign Secretary in 2001:
Chicken Tikka Massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish. The Massala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy.

i guess its as british as chow mein and orange chicken is murican

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Chemmy posted:

Can we make fun of how everything in Commonwealth countries is "extra mild"?

No.

When you have countries like Barbados, Jamaica, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan in the Commonwealth, then no, you cannot make fun of how everything in the Commonwealth is extra mild.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Honest question, how do you even eat that fish pie thing? Do you choke it down like a pelican or do oyu just tear into the fish with your hands, spraying pie everywhere? It looks like a practical joke

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

According to wiki it looks like that so the fish oil will drain into the pie. I've never had it but I presume that like most pies you just cut it up and serve it on plates and eat with a knife and fork, and try not to eat any fish bones/heads.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Capilarean posted:

Honest question, how do you even eat that fish pie thing? Do you choke it down like a pelican or do oyu just tear into the fish with your hands, spraying pie everywhere? It looks like a practical joke

Its not real food. Nobody eats it.

It is imaginary food.

Real fishpie is good eating. Its fish in white sauce covered with mashed potatoes and then baked.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

Its a fuckin sconn mate

shas
Jul 27, 2011

wheres that sausage guy from the uk thread

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
as an American gotta say that British breakfasts are like a trip to the Twilight Zone

everything should be familiar but somehow it isn't

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

as an American gotta say that British breakfasts are like a trip to the Twilight Zone

everything should be familiar but somehow it isn't

Yeah, its like crap american bacon, but some how it tastes of something

Really blow your mind and eat some british cheese

I hesitate to get you to eat our crabs and shellfish because you would just be a pitiful wreck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

General China posted:

Yeah, its like crap american bacon, but some how it tastes of something

Really blow your mind and eat some british cheese

I hesitate to get you to eat our crabs and shellfish because you would just be a pitiful wreck.

congrats on getting banned from posting in an Ask/Tell thread

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I mean I've been to baltimore and eaten crab. It was alright.

Cromer crabs were far better. I got the hint of eating a proper crab that I remembered from the norfolk coast in america, just with less taste.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

clonakilty black pudding is he only good black pudding, it's like the heinz baked beans of black puddings, not even sure if you can get it in GB lol

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

congrats on getting banned from posting in an Ask/Tell thread

i can't think what to congratulate you for, but thanks

i'm sure you have done something noteworthy at some time, so well done!

i'm sure your mother loves you

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Sorry I should have clarfified. When I said "sausages in pancake batter", I'm talking English pancake batter which is simply flour, eggs and milk. I've had those "sausages in pancakes on a stick" in the US, and they are horrifically sweet. Our pancakes are savoury (although you can have them with sweet foods).

And, not unique to the UK, but we have a whole day dedicated to eating pancakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Lonely Virgil posted:

why do brits like canned baked beans so much?
They are cheap, fulfilling, and drat tasty. I used to live off beans on toast at Uni. There's no real equivalent in the US (the baked beans you have are in molasses or sugar based sauce). Someone told me that the "Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans" were the same, but I tried them and they really aren't.

From wiki:
Heinz baked beans became very successful as an export to the UK, where canned baked beans are now a staple food. In America, the H. J. Heinz Co. continue to sell baked beans, however, they are not always as widely distributed as competing American brands. Despite their international fame, there are currently substantial differences between the Heinz baked beans produced for the UK market (descended from the original American recipe) and the nearest currently equivalent American product (Heinz Premium Vegetarian Beans).

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008

shas posted:

wheres that sausage guy from the uk thread

I sell German food, so I'm keeping out of this.

And of course, the average American would faint at the sight of 'tater 'ash

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pedricko posted:

I sell German food, so I'm keeping out of this.

And of course, the average American would faint at the sight of 'tater 'ash

honestly, I actually loving like the look of british food since it's so loving lovely looking and therefore close to home but german food looks amaaaazing. butter und brot? no loving poo poo, isnt euro butter actually cultured and poo poo? I love imitation and derivative german food here in the states and goddamn, i know i would love it even more with some quality beer.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
A lot of national dishes in europe are just very slight variations on what you can find anywhere else in europe (basically boils down to inventing a new type of sausage/cheese/beer). A lot of people do get really confused about the concept of putting meat in pastry, though.

General China posted:

Its not real food. Nobody eats it.

It is imaginary food.

Real fishpie is good eating. Its fish in white sauce covered with mashed potatoes and then baked.

p sure that jellied eel dish is just a thing people say to take the piss out of cockneys.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
This is a pretty long thread to discuss fish n chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol at all this imaginary food

Great British actual food =

mince and pasta (aka spaghetti bolognese, pronounced boll-o-naise)/mince and tatties (it's mince and pasta but you swap the chopped tomatoes for gravy powder and a splash of boiling water, and the pasta for new/baked potatoes, hth)
curry
sausage and chips
fish and chips
chinese
sometimes a pie like a steak and ale pie (never stargazy pie)
sometimes a salad
roast dinner about once a month at most unless you still live with a weird family and have it every week or something

Great British breakfast =

cereal
toast
nothing
nothing except a coffee
nothing except a cigarette and a coffee
v.v. rarely a Full Scottish/English/Irish breakfast/Ulster Fry. I am unsure if the Welsh have their own one, who cares really, fake country.

• Locked thread