Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Still wouldn't risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

Awesome Welles posted:

yeah I have a 2013 focus and it loving owns, and a few years ago I loving laughed at the idea of buying american

chevy cruze was pretty nice too when i test drove it
it owns because its european

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes yes, the Opel division of GM puts out some great cars.

I wouldn't mind test driving a Cadillac ATS.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

Diesel is a terrible idea in a small car used for short distances.

Nah, plenty of small diesel cars around. Seems like it's pretty efficient.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

turdriver posted:

a smart (more like dumb, really!) car gets like only 30 mpg lol

just buy a $1500 geo metro and u have something more efficient and save like $12k

at that point I would just give up and get a knockoff vespa on craigslist

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Dely Apple posted:

Why rent a PT Cruiser when you can rent a white Ford Taurus and have everyone think you're a narc car

not a problem anymore :angel:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-21/good-riddance-pt-cruiser-car-rentals

quote:

Late last year the four largest American rental companies—Hertz, Avis, Dollar Thrifty (now part of Hertz), and Enterprise Holdings—agreed to stop renting any cars under recall. The companies made the announcement in the face of federal legislation sponsored by Senators Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), which was brought on by the death of two California sisters killed after crashing their rental PT Cruiser. It was a model that had been recalled for a power steering fluid issue.

Also:

quote:

Even local car rental providers such as Continental Rent-A-Car in Florida and Action Car Rental of New York, which still list PT Cruisers in their online fleets, confirm that the car has been cycled out. But several are available on relayrides.com, a car-sharing site. “Mr. Mojo Rysen” in Lake Placid, N.Y., offers his 2001 model, custom-painted orange with purple flames, for $10 a day. The description reads: “Heads turn when you drive this car down the road.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Baronjutter posted:

Why do rental agencies always have terrible cars?

I used to see a lot of rental PT's and I still see rental HHR's. The same with company cars. Do they sell these cars special to rental companies and for company cars at some amazing deal they can't refuse?

I can sort of see picking something shockingly horrible for a company car as it at least turns heads, and I could see an idiot company owner thinking a PT Cruiser was "Different and attention grabbing!" rather than embarrassing.

They don't sell well and get heavily discounted when sold as fleet vehicles

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Incidentally, if you want a terribly bland used car, the cheapest way to get one is often from a rental agency.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
honda fits are ugly as poo poo but they get good reviews. worth the price or should i just get some other dinky car like a ford?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Honda Fits have weird little batteries and the wheels are difficult to buy outside of a dealer. But the mileage is great and they're pretty reliable.

And if you're in a bad area people love to steal the wheels off the car.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

honda fits are ugly as poo poo but they get good reviews. worth the price or should i just get some other dinky car like a ford?

they are good, but when the ladies say they want your car, they aren't hitting on you. they actually want your car.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Why even bother calling it a vw bug if it's nothing like a vw bug? Why not actually make a simple dirt-cheap "people's car" with an aim for simplicity, reliability, and ease of repair?

VW has been positioning themselves as a premium brand for some time now, at least in Europe.

The affordable people's cars are now made by their Czech subsidiary Skoda, with mature last-gen tech and engines.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Honda fit is basically the best car ever made, and I think the post 2009 models look great, but I think most cars "car people" think are sexy look ridiculous and pretentious.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i dont remember ever opening this thread but it says i have unread posts. i didnt read them, for what its worth

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I haven't read this thread, but have you guys figured out what series of unfortunate events and poor decisions led to someone buying a PT Cruiser?

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.

:wink:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sid Vicious posted:

i dont remember ever opening this thread but it says i have unread posts. i didnt read them, for what its worth

u missed some real gems ,friend

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Fastidious Toes posted:

Actually a light truck :smuggo:

Yes, this. PT Cruiser is not a car. It's a truck. It was introduced to boost the average fuel efficiency of their truck line to not get huge fines from the government.

It's a piece of poo poo government scam car that people actually buy. :wotwot:

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 641 days!

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I'll gently caress you up real bad. You're worthless. gently caress you. You look like poo poo. I hate your stupid rear end. I'll drop-kick you. I'll punch you straight to Venus. I'll wreck your rear end up. I'll throw you out a loving window. gently caress you. I'll put goatse on your computer. gently caress you. gently caress you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I have a Chevy Cruze and its a p. nice car.

Too bad its axle is gonna fall off and kill me in the middle of a highway at some point :laffo:

How can you issue a recall and then say "oh yeah that fatally flawed part...we don't have any replacements yet. Whoops!" I just hope I can wrangle a free oil change or something out of it. Of course I've had my car nearly a year and only drive ~4,100 miles so maybe I don't even need the oil changed.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Preteen Cruiser

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
The PT Cruiser alone is a reason why we should have let American Automakers fail in 2008. A poo poo awful hideous car that noone wanted to buy.I remember rumors about how the PT Cruiser's steering column would jam into your stomach in a head on collision. Confirm/Deny?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shut up netface posted:

The PT Cruiser alone is a reason why we should have let American Automakers fail in 2008. A poo poo awful hideous car that noone wanted to buy.I remember rumors about how the PT Cruiser's steering column would jam into your stomach in a head on collision. Confirm/Deny?

I can confirm. A PT Cruiser steering wheel killed me. I am actually ghost postin'.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

shut up netface posted:

It's certainly a death box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOjRCbm88M

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Well, you can't fault his taste.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
when was the last time crysler released a good car

i don't get why anyone wouldn't buy a mazda 3 these days tbh

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

THE RED MENACE posted:

when was the last time crysler released a good car

i don't get why anyone wouldn't buy a mazda 3 these days tbh

Pretty ugly, but I heard the Mazdaspeed 3 is actually really good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think I'm going to buy a new beetle. What is the back seat like?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I drive one of these. It's a bad car. I want to get rid of it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

various cheeses posted:

I haven't read this thread, but have you guys figured out what series of unfortunate events and poor decisions led to someone buying a PT Cruiser?

"being Mexican" ???

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wiXTt1Ca_E

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

technically the last good car we sold was the avenger, which is why we stopped making them. double technically it was the stealth and that was techno-technically a Mitsubishi 3000gt.

there you have it, the last good chrystlet was a mitsubishi

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I test drove a turbo model PT Cruiser. Felt great and the interior was surprisingly roomy.

Too bad about the outside of the car.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bacon Hat posted:

technically the last good car we sold was the avenger, which is why we stopped making them. double technically it was the stealth and that was techno-technically a Mitsubishi 3000gt.

there you have it, the last good chrystlet was a mitsubishi

I heard the 300 is a good car. Is this true?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a previous coworker, like a 25 year old dude, made an excel of HP versus dollars for every new car on the market and sorted by dollars per HP, low to high

and then blindly went out and bought that car

and came home with a shiny new 2011 HHR SS

the turbo blew 700 miles in

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The PT Cruiser's dumb cousin the HHR has the battery in the back. You can't open the rear hatch if the battery dies, because it has an electrical touch-sensitive door, not a regular one you can just unlock and open.

So if you need to change or jumpstart your battery, you have to cut a hole in the door and stick a screwdriver inside of it and poke around blindly until you hit the internal latch that makes the door open. It's literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

did we already forget the massive toyota recalls on cars for their brakes being obstructed?

the funniest post in LF history happened when someone, in the thread about this, said the accelerator wasn't a problem because you could just open the door to create drag and slow your out of control corolla down enough to get it into the grass.

• Locked thread