Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Somehow this isn't quite as much fun as his first HR in Taiwan.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=34191331

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zakharov posted:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/hou/video/t...t_id%3D34178203

RIP this baseball, brutally murdered by George Springer.

Seriously just close your eyes and listen to the crack.

JAYSUS. :stare:

That ball was annihilated--sounded like cannon fire.

When was Springer called up? 16HR already?!

tadashi posted:

The Braves won't be adding them because there's no point in checking for guns in Georgia.

I walked through metal detectors at the northeast gate at Turner like two months ago. Ahead of the game.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 1, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeeMajors posted:

JAYSUS. :stare:

That ball was annihilated--sounded like cannon fire.

According to b-r his first game was April 16th which was the Astros 15th game of the year.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Baseball-Reference helpfully tells me that Springer would be on pace for 40 home runs over a full season. And even more impressive, 234 strikeouts!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alan Trammell posted:

Baseball-Reference helpfully tells me

Yikes, the smug is strong in this one.

I don't know all the links, sorry for putting you out.

I've got it bookmarked now. I'll be sure to research henceforth so as not to compel you to respond with an exhausting level of eyeroll.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Rajai Davis is the 28th player in history to hit a grand slam down by 3 in the final at bat of the game.

How loving cool is it to do what every kid dreams of in their back yard? Man. The bar I was at went loving nuts and some dude bought everyone shots, it owned

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Storm posted:

Rajai Davis is the 28th player in history to hit a grand slam down by 3 in the final at bat of the game.

How loving cool is it to do what every kid dreams of in their back yard? Man. The bar I was at went loving nuts and some dude bought everyone shots, it owned

I'm a closet A's fan, so it broke my heart--but that twitter sequence was something to behold.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Yikes, the smug is strong in this one.

I don't know all the links, sorry for putting you out.

I've got it bookmarked now. I'll be sure to research henceforth so as not to compel you to respond with an exhausting level of eyeroll.

He was responding to your post and not being smug in the slightest; don't be such a loving baby.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm not particularly thrilled to be an unwilling rider on the Gerald Laird experience, but maybe Bethancourt will show some legit promise over the next few weeks.

Get well soon, White Bear.

MourningView posted:

He was responding to your post and not being smug in the slightest; don't be such a loving baby.

I'm always especially touched when you edit for sharpness. It shows me you care. :3:

Edit: Also I didn't know b-r existed, and my worldview is now vastly changed for the better.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

LeeMajors posted:

Edit: Also I didn't know b-r existed, and my worldview is now vastly changed for the better.

I hope so, man. Assuming others are coming from a place of hostile sardonic arrogance would really skew how you react to things. Re-align that poo poo and be happier.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alan Trammell posted:

Baseball-Reference helpfully tells me that Springer would be on pace for 40 home runs over a full season. And even more impressive, 234 strikeouts!

How's his batting average? He could be the new Mark Reynolds.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Storm posted:

And if anyone wants to read brief snippets about the previous 27:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/ultimate-slam-game-over/

(No smugness intended.)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Groucho Marxist posted:

The new stadium is just going to go by the paper bag test

Also, kudos to the Fenway crowd last night- I'm sure some of the standing ovation was for Drew getting the hit but it was still quite a response for Arrieta last night when he came out of the game.

Doubt he would have gotten that at Busch stadium.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

.245/.353/.482 slash line

He swings as hard as he can every time he swings so yeah he might be

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Bryce is right and that's what Matt Williams deserves for calling him out like he did this year.

He's basically saying they should play Espinosa over Span, which is dumb.

He wants:

LF Zimmerman
CF Harper
3B Rendon
2B Espinosa

instead of

LF Harper
CF Span
3B Zimmerman
2B Rendon

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

jackofarcades posted:

He's basically saying they should play Espinosa over Span, which is dumb.

He wants:

LF Zimmerman
CF Harper
3B Rendon
2B Espinosa

instead of

LF Harper
CF Span
3B Zimmerman
2B Rendon

Zimmerman can't throw at all, he shouldn't be near 3B. And I've always been a Span fan, but he's pretty garbage during his time in Washington.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Zimmerman can't throw at all, he shouldn't be near 3B. And I've always been a Span fan, but he's pretty garbage during his time in Washington.

Yeah, but Epinosa is hitting .217 / .284 / .348 right now

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd be okay with him being (another) new Dave Kingman instead, new Mark Reynolds not as much

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 1, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Springer also got off to a somewhat slow start. After his first 12 games his slash was .170/.264/.213

Since then, over the last 53 games it's been .263/.373/.545 which yeah isn't Stantonesque but he's been very good over that time frame

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Span can't hit but he looks good in the outfield, to me at least. I really can't evaluate fielders all that well thought so maybe I'm talking crazy!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Springer is also a really good athlete so he can provide value beyond his hitting, which isn't true for the other guys y'all are comparing him too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Whoever originally suggested 3B Rendon SS Desmond 2B Zimmerman etc was probably right. Rendon has some history with ankle issues and Zimmerman has shoulder issues. If they'd started working with Zimmerman at 2B over the off-season, it might have worked but I guess you can't just do that with one of your "franchise" players.

Span's a pretty good CF, he's just never been much of a hitter. There isn't an area where he really stands out other than being a guy you're not embarrassed to put in the lineup everyday so you get a competent defender in center.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 1, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

Springer is also a really good athlete so he can provide value beyond his hitting, which isn't true for the other guys y'all are comparing him too.

Isn't Stanton a pretty elite fielder?

I keep bringing him up obviously because of the leaked stuff

e: You're probably referring to the Reynolds comparisons though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

Isn't Stanton a pretty elite fielder?

Stanton is fine, I meant the people comparing him to Mark Reynolds and poo poo like that.

tadashi posted:

Whoever originally suggested 3B Rendon SS Desmond 2B Zimmerman etc was probably right. Rendon has some history with ankle issues and Zimmerman has shoulder issues. If they'd started working with Zimmerman at 2B over the off-season, it might have worked but I guess you can't just do that with one of your "franchise" players.

That's what they should have done from the very start but for whatever reason didn't.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

Stanton is fine, I meant the people comparing him to Mark Reynolds and poo poo like that.

Well I wouldn't say a Stanton comparison is fine, but for the opposite reason of why a Reynolds comparison isn't fine :v:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

tadashi posted:

Span's a pretty good CF, he's just never been much of a hitter. There isn't an area where he really stands out other than being a guy you're not embarrassed to put in the lineup everyday so you get a competent defender in center.

Yeah someone in here was where I first saw the Zimmerman 2B Rendon 3B idea and it really seems like the logical choice. Zimm has good footwork and reactions, he can handle second and the easier throws will be just what he needs, may even help keep him on the field more.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's funny is Springer is 2 months older than Stanton.

E: For accuracy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

Well I wouldn't say a Stanton comparison is fine, but for the opposite reason of why a Reynolds comparison isn't fine :v:

Oh, I don't think he's actually as good as Stanton or anything like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tadashi posted:

What's funny is Springer is 2 months older than Stanton.

E: For accuracy

Yeah it wasn't Springer's inclusion that would have killed that deal

Though Springer is going to be cheaper and for longer than Stanton, who's due a huge payday right at the time the Astros are hoping to be entering the conversation for contention.

Who knows, maybe they can make a play for him on the open market :v:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, but Epinosa is hitting .217 / .284 / .348 right now

That's very bad, but not an outright terrible negative or anything as a 2B in this god awful no hitting era we're in. Zimmerman has an arthritic shoulder and Rendon has a history of bad ankle injuries. It's about protecting one good player and one great, franchise cornerstone player over shuttling a replacement level guy out of the lineup. Really my point more than anything is Don't gently caress With Rendon

e: the zimmerman 2b idea was jeffrey olives (pbuh)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

I do not like what this implies.

quote:

@PaulPabst

At the end of ever season, Vin Scully said he throws out his PXP notebook...he told us that this year he will save it.

there is ONE reason Vin would save it now.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Put Harper at catcher, keep Span in CF, Rendon at 3B, Espinosa at 2B

• Locked thread