Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Red Sox just called up Garin Cecchini. If Drew gets back soon he won't be up for long, I would imagine.

For an entire year, I thought Topps misspelled Gavin on his baseball cards, until I found out 1)Garin is actually a name and 2)he actually has a baseball-playing brother named Gavin. Talk about :mindblown:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Harlock posted:

He was called up for today, played in the game, and was sent back down already

I'd kind of like for this to happen with Moustakas, but he's probably never getting sent down again.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
I am obsessed with Giants baseball right now. A ghostly voice keeps repeating their W/L record in my mind...
thiiirty seven aaaand tweeeenty....

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If you had told me before the season started that on the first of June the Giants would have the best record in baseball and the best run differential in the NL I would have been pretty surprised. If you told me that they would be doing it without Buster Posey hitting like an MVP candidate... this season has been pretty crazy so far. They're due for a dropoff eventually, but wins in May count as much as wins in September so gently caress it. Hard to argue with a 7.5 game lead this early in the season.

Also, Tim Hudson owns bones.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
AJ Pollock has a broken bone in his hand.

The Diamondbacks have lost three of four to the Reds.

Hope is over. Bring on the firesale. Get prospects, reload, and build for two or three years from now. Keep Goldschmidt, Owings, Pollock, Corbin and Bradley and see what you can get for anyone else.

Does anyone need a lightly used defensive shortstop? We have this Didi Gregorius...

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
AJ Pollock was looking very good, too. What a loving shame.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

gently caress the giants.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Giants paid a bazillion dollars to loving Tim Lincecum, don't even have Matt Cain, and they're the best team in baseball.

So loving Brian Sabean.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Rand alPaul posted:

Giants paid a bazillion dollars to loving Tim Lincecum, don't even have Matt Cain, and they're the best team in baseball.

So loving Brian Sabean.

Even Year Mojo, motherfucker

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I started voting JP Arencibia into the home run derby, you all should do the same.

Malaclypse posted:

I am obsessed with Giants baseball right now. A ghostly voice keeps repeating their W/L record in my mind...
thiiirty seven aaaand tweeeenty....

I'm the same with the Jays right now, just hope everyone stays healthy and hope all of the naysayers are wrong about Stroman being Too Short To Pitch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still don't know how I feel about this Mariner season. We're .500, all the major contributors are locked up beyond this year, but the fact that we haven't had a competent outfield since like... 2009 and both Brad Miller and Nick Franklin have failed horribly keeps me concerned.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I'd rather vote JPA into the All-Star Game to give him support for his one-man crusade against Toronto sportswriters.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why are the Cubs trading Samardzija instead of paying him?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Because his value is probably never going to be higher than it is this season and they don't figure to be seriously competitive anytime soon.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This is the year every team finishes at .500 and Selig declares a 32-team playoff Royal Rumble style in his own honor.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Marlins traded their 39th overall competitive balance pick for this year's draft to the Pirates for a one Bryan Morris (relief pitcher).

V: Last year with 5.86 FIP, 1.563 WHIP, and 4.6bb/9? You're gonna fit right in!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Cubs should just continue not doing anything, their plan since Jed/Theo came aboard

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good, bad, it doesn't matter, nothing will get ruben amaro fired other than baseball hiring him to be commissioner

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mornacale posted:

I'd rather vote JPA into the All-Star Game to give him support for his one-man crusade against Toronto sportswriters.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Would you rather have Loria as owner or RAJ as GM? I rest my case.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Because his value is probably never going to be higher than it is this season and they don't figure to be seriously competitive anytime soon.

Trading all your good players every year usually figures in that seriously competitive anytime soon part. Also why sign Edwin Jackson to a $52 million deal if the plan is to kick the can down the road for another half decade?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Trading all your good players every year usually figures in that seriously competitive anytime soon part. Also why sign Edwin Jackson to a $52 million deal if the plan is to kick the can down the road for another half decade?

All of their impact players are 2-3 years from being like actual impact players in the majors so why not get a couple more dudes in the same time frame as opposed to overpaying a third starter?

Jackson on the other hand was signed just as an innings eater for money and nothing else. He didn't do any damage to the long term plan, and is a dude that can help give young pitchers time to develop in the minors cause he can just throw a bunch of innings every year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
And the state of the market these days is that 52 million is frankly a pretty cheap deal for a multi-year SP contract. That is mostly because Edwin Jackson isn't very good, but still that contract is not figuring into the Cubs' long-term plans much either way.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Samardzija is already under team control through next season, which will be his age-30 year. That means he is likely to decline over the course of any contract he signs. His strikeouts are down significantly so far this season along with his BABIP and HR/FB, his LD% is at career norms, and his LOB% is up 10 points; so, either he's found that not striking guys out is a secret recipe for success, or he is extremely lucky in a small sample and figures to regress back toward what he really is: a nice #3 starter. It's also worth pointing out that he's already given up 6 unearned runs this season, which makes his ERA something of an illusion (and explains a lot of why he has no ~Wins~).

So, you can either bet on what looks like luck instead being a legit sign of a 29-year-old making a huge leap forward, or you can hope that someone else wants to make that bet. And if nobody does, in the worst case you still have a year and a half to evaluate what he'd be worth.

e: This is not to say that the Cubs aren't cheap, because they absolutely are. But it's just like Pirates fans/sportswriters giving their front office crap for not signing Pedro Alvarez long-term: just because you have more money to spend doesn't mean that it should be spent on certain individuals.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 2, 2014

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Quest For Glory II posted:

good, bad, it doesn't matter, nothing will get ruben amaro fired other than baseball hiring him to be commissioner

I think one of us will just have to take one for the team and strip naked and hang ourselves with a belt in his bedroom.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MassaShowtime posted:

All of their impact players are 2-3 years from being like actual impact players in the majors so why not get a couple more dudes in the same time frame as opposed to overpaying a third starter?

2-3 years from now would be right in the middle of his next contract.

Even if you don't lock him up now, I don't see the urgency to trade him. They have him under control for another year and a half. If 2016 is supposed to be the big breakout year where they decide they're going to compete, they can give him a fair deal. At worst they can give a qualifying offer (which should temper offers from other teams) and get a draft pick out of it.

If some team is willing to give up a top 20 prospect or something, I can see it. Like if they can snag Aaron Sanchez from Toronto or something. But this isn't a team that should be terribly concerned about overpaying a pitcher. They're in Chicago, not Tampa. Would be nice if they acted like it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I know you love to bitch about your teams not spending enough money, but he's an almost 30 year old who has never been a significantly above average starter. He's going to decline, and likely soon. If they can get something out of him now they should, and if not they shouldn't be in any rush to sign him to a long deal. You don't want to pay for player's decline phase, even in a big market. The reason they're trying to trade him now is because his value is likely never going to be higher than it is at the moment, since he's pitching way way above his actual skill level.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 2, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Trading Samardzija now has gained a lot of traction because he is having a tremendous season and his value is at its peak. Signing an almost 30 historically mediocre pitcher to a long term deal has never been a good idea.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Niwrad posted:

2-3 years from now would be right in the middle of his next contract.

Even if you don't lock him up now, I don't see the urgency to trade him. They have him under control for another year and a half. If 2016 is supposed to be the big breakout year where they decide they're going to compete, they can give him a fair deal. At worst they can give a qualifying offer (which should temper offers from other teams) and get a draft pick out of it.

If some team is willing to give up a top 20 prospect or something, I can see it. Like if they can snag Aaron Sanchez from Toronto or something. But this isn't a team that should be terribly concerned about overpaying a pitcher. They're in Chicago, not Tampa. Would be nice if they acted like it.

The urgency to trade him is that they have to do it while it's still possible to trick someone into thinking he's an elite pitcher. Also the longer they wait, the less valuable he becomes simply because he will be giving less time to his new team. Also he could suffer a season-ending injury at any time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mornacale posted:

The urgency to trade him is that they have to do it while it's still possible to trick someone into thinking he's an elite pitcher. Also the longer they wait, the less valuable he becomes simply because he will be giving less time to his new team. Also he could suffer a season-ending injury at any time.

If they can get a guy like Aaron Sanchez or Dylan Bundy, I'm for it. But if it's for 2nd and 3rd tier prospects who are projected to be #3 starters, I'd rather just keep him. If you all seem to think he's not that good, why would the other teams in baseball think otherwise?

I guess my issue is with the "we have to trade him" route they are taking. If the deal is right, do it. But they have other options. I think they put themselves in a shittier spot when everyone in the league knows they are going to trade him because they don't want to pay him.

MourningView posted:

I know you love to bitch about your teams not spending enough money,

The owner just made an embarrassing video where he stood in front of a tee in the clubhouse that looks straight out of a Division 2 baseball program claiming he can't possibly afford to fix it up without a bunch of billboards in the outfield. I feel like bitching about Ricketts being cheap isn't a controversial stance.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
10 game losing streak followed by a 7 game winning streak.

So, Drew is signed and will likely be called up tomorrow … … but Brock Holt is playing extremely well. What happens when Napoli and Middlebrooks are both healthy?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I have said it a million times.. Sabean is the best GM in baseball.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

The owner just made an embarrassing video where he stood in front of a tee in the clubhouse that looks straight out of a Division 2 baseball program claiming he can't possibly afford to fix it up without a bunch of billboards in the outfield. I feel like bitching about Ricketts being cheap isn't a controversial stance.

The way the deal was structured to buy the team from scum of the Earth Sam Zell by most accounts has put a crimp in the Cubs cash flow for the time being and the two halves of the TV deal don't come up together till 2020 at the earliest, so it's not crazy to see why spending is down and the team is looking for revenue. The latest SIGNS EVERYWHERE! plan wasn't meant to be a realistic proposal, it was supposed to be a shot across the bow to the rooftop owners and I'm guessing a push for the mayors office and local pols to get something approved and underway ASAP. It's looking to be a pretty dumb move considering they're already getting blowback from the mayor and backtracking before talks really kick in though. You'd think they would have at least been sidetracking talks with the city while they were spinning their wheels with the rooftops, but alas.... If anything it's less about the Ricketts family being cheap, it's about them being stupid about how they're going about the whole stadium deal from the start.

With attendance down and apparently no shows up even more this year I'm guessing this is going to be the last sign+deal season. Maybe you add a legitimate arm or two this offseason, and start next year with some combo of Baez and Bryant showing up between opening day and Super 2 cutoff with Almora and Soler (on the 7 day DL) at Iowa.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I didn't see this story until it popped up in my news feed when I was checking baseball stuff but man, can David Price be more annoying? I'm not red sox fan but going for the "this isn't actually war so don't belittle our troops" speech was so loving lame. Yes, I'm sure when David Ortiz said that "this is war" he meant that men will die in baseball related combat. And then the way Price couched it basically means if you disagree with him you're disrespecting the troops. Hey, guess what, it's a loving figure of speech. We build up all athletes in war like metaphors. They're gladiators going to combat, let's go to the draft war room, and so on. It reminds me of the whole dustup about using lockerroom cancer and how we should drop the word cancer. Except a week later no one gave a poo poo.

I don't know. This annoyed me. So gently caress Price.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Can of Cloud posted:

10 game losing streak followed by a 7 game winning streak.

So, Drew is signed and will likely be called up tomorrow … … but Brock Holt is playing extremely well. What happens when Napoli and Middlebrooks are both healthy?

Brock Holt is a AAAA utilityman riding an impossible hot streak, but Jonathan Herrera is more likely to be optioned to the minors because he contributes nothing of value to the team aside from being a warm body.

Will Middlebrooks is definitely going to AAA, possibly for good as he is a bad player

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Niwrad posted:

If they can get a guy like Aaron Sanchez or Dylan Bundy, I'm for it. But if it's for 2nd and 3rd tier prospects who are projected to be #3 starters, I'd rather just keep him. If you all seem to think he's not that good, why would the other teams in baseball think otherwise?

I guess my issue is with the "we have to trade him" route they are taking. If the deal is right, do it. But they have other options. I think they put themselves in a shittier spot when everyone in the league knows they are going to trade him because they don't want to pay him.

I really doubt you've seen anyone in the actual front office indicate that they feel obligated to trade Samardzija, and obviously no one anywhere is going "well you gotta trade him for any return no matter how bad," so you are arguing against exactly nobody. The point is that trading him soon is likely to be their best chance to get a good return--it only takes one GM to buy into his shiny ERA or to be desperate to get an Impact Arm for a stretch run.

Also you're way overrating the value of 1.5 years of Jeff Samardzija if you're dismissing the possibility of getting back 7 cost-controlled seasons of an equally-good pitcher. Also your fixation on Aaron Sanchez is baffling to me.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Just look at his high prospect rankings number, he is a Future Ace *ignores hilariously bad strikeout to walk ratio*

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

With May in the books, the Brewers are still on top of the NL Central. What fantasy world am I living in?

The one where the Cardinals barely eke out a playoff berth then upset the Brewers in the NLCS because Brewers Cardinals.

:smith:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

http://instagram.com/p/otY7DLDYTC/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Will this be the month our national nightmare ends and Yasiel Puig publicly vows to start respecting the game? You make the call.

• Locked thread