Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

The owner just made an embarrassing video where he stood in front of a tee in the clubhouse that looks straight out of a Division 2 baseball program claiming he can't possibly afford to fix it up without a bunch of billboards in the outfield. I feel like bitching about Ricketts being cheap isn't a controversial stance.

The way the deal was structured to buy the team from scum of the Earth Sam Zell by most accounts has put a crimp in the Cubs cash flow for the time being and the two halves of the TV deal don't come up together till 2020 at the earliest, so it's not crazy to see why spending is down and the team is looking for revenue. The latest SIGNS EVERYWHERE! plan wasn't meant to be a realistic proposal, it was supposed to be a shot across the bow to the rooftop owners and I'm guessing a push for the mayors office and local pols to get something approved and underway ASAP. It's looking to be a pretty dumb move considering they're already getting blowback from the mayor and backtracking before talks really kick in though. You'd think they would have at least been sidetracking talks with the city while they were spinning their wheels with the rooftops, but alas.... If anything it's less about the Ricketts family being cheap, it's about them being stupid about how they're going about the whole stadium deal from the start.

With attendance down and apparently no shows up even more this year I'm guessing this is going to be the last sign+deal season. Maybe you add a legitimate arm or two this offseason, and start next year with some combo of Baez and Bryant showing up between opening day and Super 2 cutoff with Almora and Soler (on the 7 day DL) at Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Scrotos posted:

It is actually the other way around, WGN wants to distance themselves from the Cubs on TV and Radio to better their national brand. They talked about it on WGN radio at one point.

WGN America is going that route like TBS did a few years ago, but local radio is an entirely different model. Allegedly WGN threw a bunch of different options at the team, like revenue sharing and even an ownership stake in the station but in the end they just wouldn't match the 7 year cash offer CBS Radio made. WGN claims they were losing millions a year on the deal as it was, but that may just be smoke since WGN has been churning their lineup like crazy the last few years after Human Garbage Sam Zell brought in the one and only "Pig Vomit" of Howard Stern fame to run the station into the ground.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Do people even buy these one off hats? I could maybe see picking up a World Series branded hat (which may have more to do with the fact my preferred team will never make it to a World Series in my lifetime) but since those debuted it's been a non stop parade of specialty items but I can't say I've ever seen one being worn.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

It's okay, Jed Hoyer said that the Cubs would spend big money this offseason. He will guys! He promises!

*signs utility player, SP5* "We tried"

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs sign a Lester, Scherzer, or Masterson this winter to go along with some combo of Baez, Bryant, and Alcantara (playing CF in AAA) next year. The team's budget may be hamstrung until 2020 but it's not like they're in Tampa or anything.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is this just a B.S. rumor to generate pageviews? A leak from the Cubs trying to get other teams to up their offers? Would Kyle Crick + a lesser SP prospect or two even be a competitive package? :iiam:

It's probably the former, and any Samardzija deal depends on what Tampa is looking for as well since both teams will be playing Hungry Hungry Hippos all summer. Would the Giants even consider moving Crick unless they think he can't be fixed?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tadashi posted:

Kris Bryant promoted to AAA :getin:

Sorry Christian Villanueva...

I wonder if this is when Baez gets moved off of SS as well.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tadashi posted:

You could do a Cubs_firstroundpicks.jpg from 1965-2010 and it would be pretty awful with Hooten, Cashner, Palmeiro, A year or so of Prior, Wood, and maybe Dunston (1-1) being the exceptions.

Fixed for sad accuracy.

(Trigger warning: Bad overall blog) Bleed Cubbie Blue did a write up of Cubs drafts 65-11 prior to this year's and it's pretty ugly.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2014/6/3/5774148/cubs-draft-history-1965-2011

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Re: plate blocking

From what I've seen, as long as the catcher keeps his entire body on one side of the foul line its legal. They just can't straddle the line anymore

I think you're right, there was a rundown in the Cubs game yesterday that ended with a throw to the plate and they called him out on a call I don't think gets made back in April during the NO TOLERANCE(!) period. MLB made a big public deal out of clarifying the clean catch/transfer rules after a few weeks, I wonder if there wasn't a quieter clarification of the blocking rules recently.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I took a line drive to the eye that shattered my orbital when I was in 7th grade. That hat wouldn't have done poo poo for that or anything else below the forehead pretty much.

If it weren't for the players union odds odds are every pitcher in baseball would be doing the Mario this year in spite of that, the same way base coaches have to wear helmets in reaction to Mike Coolbaugh getting hit in the neck with a line drive.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tadashi posted:

What does the player's union have anything to do with it? Didn't Brandon McCarthy advocate for protective caps but then took one look at the prototype for that one and go "LOL, no"?

Outside of the union MLB can mandate things, like testing for weed in the minors or the Olerud helmets for base coaches. Anything that involves MLBPA members has to be negotiated, so without that I have no doubt that in the spirit of "we have to do something!" we'd be seeing those hats all over the place after the McCarthy and Cobb injuries.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

the popes toes posted:

I celebrate with this sweet child sitting in the stands of a Marlins game, the exciting return of the forums:
here

I miss Batboy too.

EDIT: gently caress YOOOOOU!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

N: Manny has reported to the Iowa Cubs and is playing in the 2nd game of a double header today wearing #44 in games, and #99 for BP.

V: gently caress Chris Coghlan, call up Manny now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Deathlove posted:

:allears: SO EXCITED FOR THE SEPTEMBER CALLUPS

Short of Brett Jackson deciding to leave the country I doubt Manny is getting a spot on the 40 man roster since they're probably going to be short on spots come deadline deal time.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Storm posted:

e: I don't understand why people hate him. He's white and gritty. He should be loved!!

How many gift baskets has he given out in his career?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't think I'm going to get excited about a pitcher in the year 2014.

I think most people would agree Jake Arrieta throwing strikes is something to get excited about.

Well, maybe not Oriole fans who waited on him for years...but it's cool for everyone else.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

N: Manny being Manny in the Minors. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/videos/sports/baseball/iowa-cubs/2014/06/30/11825829/?sf27980524=1

V: Bat flip needs work.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Crion posted:

Probably give him more than 65 innings. That said, his command looks night and day. Infuriating, but mostly because it's just another glaring example of how amazingly bad the Orioles are at developing pitching. We'll be repeating this song and dance with Kevin Gausman in two years, I'm sure.

We'll take him off your hands as well if you'd like.

I'll admit I hadn't seen much of Arrieta before the trade, did he always have this slider of doom? The Cubs broadcast team spent the first month of the season calling it a cutter, but apparently it's just a slider he throws as hard as possible and it's been almost young Kerry Wood slurveish so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

The new stadium is just going to go by the paper bag test

Also, kudos to the Fenway crowd last night- I'm sure some of the standing ovation was for Drew getting the hit but it was still quite a response for Arrieta last night when he came out of the game.

Doubt he would have gotten that at Busch stadium.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread