Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kinda awesome that Erik Bedard took the loss in a one hitter twice in a calendar year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I *think* I got the best 50 at bat stretch from Tulo's September 2010.

Side note - does Chris Shelton still lay in bed at night wondering what the Hell happened?

Edit - Nevermind. Forgot BAbip subtracts out HRs.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Storm posted:

Still, batting .388 with a .212 BABIP is kind of nuts

Yeah - My edit was originally questioning if that was right, but had forgotten how BAbip was calculated. 12 HRs in 19 hits will throw that off pretty bad.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

JackssWastedLife posted:

I'd like to think that even if he knew what happened afterwards, Johan might have wanted to throw that no hitter. Goodnight Sweet Prince

I seem to remember JeffersonLives posting a fairly informative post about how the pitch count during the (*cough* Beltran *cough*) no hitter pretty clearly had nothing to do with his injury.

On that note - anyone know where he's been? Don't remember seeing him post in months.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

will_colorado posted:

.....and somehow I just learned this happened to Braves pitcher Pascual Perez in 1982:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Don't remember seeing this mentioned at the time, but my periodic morbid curiosity kicked in, and I checked the list of oldest living MLB players. Art Kenney died March 12th, leaving Hall of Famer Bobby Doerr as the sole living player that played in the 1930's.

He's the depression era Highlander. Congrats to Mr. Doerr.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The Hell did that pitcher get tossed for? Throwing inside with a 10 run lead two pitches earlier?

Edit - well, second pitch was in pretty far as well.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Ted Williams also played in the 1930's.

True, but he's not getting that Highlander status regardless.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Buck Showalter posted:

“I thought Manny handled it better than someone with some experience [would],” he said. “It was also a good experience for him to have. He cares. It’s a learning experience for all of us.”

See? He's learning from it already.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I watched the Cespedes throw again and started thinking of other awesome throws and then I remembered this one and actually found it

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=16865121

:allears:

The hidden beauty of that is that it took place in Ichiro's 8th game. Everyone knew that he was supposed to have a crazy arm - it was just the first time people got to see it.

Edit - Still what I think of as the most ridiculous throw though.
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v13114361/guillen-throws-out-perez-on-the-fly

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

The terrible person inside me wanted to see a star-spangled Wahoo. Just to drive home how lovely our racist rear end logo is.

They've done it in the past.

Do the Blackhawks get flak for their logo? I don't really follow the NHL enough to know.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Former MLBer gets ejected while on first - proceeds to run the bases and slide into home on his way out.

http://deadspin.com/quintin-berry-gets-ejected-runs-bases-slides-into-hom-1590526408

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Chuck Knoblauch pushed Lonnie Smith.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Puig has gone cold.

Good God in case any of you don't follow the gif thread.
Courtesy of Vegeta Dentata

Puig has gone stone cold awesome as poo poo bat flipping on walks.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I really don't believe this is true for everyone.

The biggest "Jose Fernandez is the right kind of Cuban" fan in the world knows that that was on accident for Christs sake.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Quick little math.

Gwynn averaged a strike out every 23.576 plate appearances.

Mark Reynolds would have to avoid striking out in his next 27,626 plate appearances to match that.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pungry posted:

Jesus Montero just hit a homer lol

The Mariners win the trade! The Mariners win the trade! The Mariners win the trade! The Mariners win the trade! They're going crazy! They're going crazy!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I asked for the worst yankee and it worked!

I asked for Spike Owen and welp.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

it's cool because I have no idea who these posters are now

I used to root for a team you laugh at. Now I'm in first in the AL West. The thread delivers.

ALFbrot posted:

A team I laugh at, huh? Which Pirate fan are you

"You" as in SAS. I'm a Mariner fan, and still am. (Jesus Montero is back, baby!) But poo poo. Tony Phillips was kinda cool, and if you gotta be a member of a team that plays in a sewer, it might as well be the A's.

A+ would recommend the thread again.

Edit :

wikipedia posted:

Phillips currently plays third base for the Yuma Scorpions of the independent North American League along with former Athletics teammate Jose Canseco. In August 2011, 52-year-old Phillips was involved in an altercation with former Scorpions manager Mike Marshall, then with the Chico Outlaws. Phillips punched Marshall in the face during the incident, causing the latter to press battery charges against the infielder.

Suck on that, innings eating relief pitcher.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 17, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
We interrupt this 1986 Topps fest to remind you all that noted svelte Mariner catcher/DH/1st Baseman/Whatthefuck Jesus Montero hit a home run today and that Jack Z is a genius.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Does any site keep track of how high a home run goes? Cause Stanton on Monday hit a damned line drive that has to be the lowest.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33771229/chcmia-stanton-lines-a-tworun-home-run-to-right/?query=Giancarlo%2BStanton

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Spoeank posted:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/index.php?sortm=apex&sort=asc

Looks like it's 9th on the season. 48' apex.

edit: this includes inside the park HRs though because the #1 is one.

Thanks - and yeah. I saw 29' in first place and clicked that video link really quick. Actually watched all of #s 1-8. Stanton's was the only opposite field shot. He's just stupid fun to watch.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Krigen posted:

Felix Hernandez gets another 'no decision' today on a quality start because the M's are a stupid team with no offense that can't give him run support. :(

This is getting dumb.

Last three Felix starts.

22 1/3 IP, 11 hits, 3 BB, 2 Earned runs, 31 Ks.
Mariners offense while he's in the game : 1 run scored.
Record : 0-1.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Grandma was awesome.
http://www.webcitation.org/5yvmTYCkx

He got his name because his grandmother liked unique and unusual things and, with a last name of Million, she wanted her grandson to stand out. She talked his parents into naming him Ten for that reason. When the daughter of Ten and Christine was born, the grandmother bribed Christine with $50 into naming her Decillian Million for the same reason. Later on, Decillian began to use the name Dixie but in her early years she was known as Decillian Million, daughter of Ten Million.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

"Dear Drunk Guy": Brandon Phillips Gives Signed Ball To Heckler

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Laughing at the ump in the M's Royals game. Billy Butler K's in the 6th - swinging at an outside pitch. Seattle broadcast picks up the ump yelling at him. Something along the lines of

"You swing at a pitch a foot outside and you wanna blame me!? Is that what it is? You wanna blame me?"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FairGame posted:

How many players have been hit in the face vs. hit in the head? I feel like your last reaction on a ball to the face would be to turn and turtle, and make it more likely you'd get hit where the hat would do some good.

I really have no idea though.

Rafael Soriano concurs.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Post the SASest metal you got.

http://puigdestroyer.bandcamp.com/track/stop-loving-bunting

Puig Destroyer posted:

no clock, only outs
but still you insist on,
giving them away
...what the gently caress?

play for one (that's all you'll get)

stop loving bunting

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

N: Carlos Peguero's wife got sentenced to one year and one day in jail for using Felix Hernandez's wife's debit card in a $191k shopping spree.

V: lol

Something I only learned while reading stories about the sentencing and not when the story first broke:

Peguero's wife is the daughter of former pitcher Pedro Borbon.

That's all.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ESPN saying 489 feet. Longest in Angels history, longest in Kauffman Stadium history, and longest by an AL player since they've been keeping track.

Verdict : Guilty.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The punkest thing about Harper is saying he was a Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees/Duke fan.

And that fauxhawk he had. That was straight Jello Biafra poo poo.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Good Dog posted:

I agree the whole backing out of the box to readjust your batting gloves every single pitch is loving insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FairGame posted:

In other news, scroll to the bottom of the page here:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=MLB&year=2014

why the gently caress are there stats for a 4-2 count, and only 1 such plate appearance. Did some ump gently caress up somewhere and lose track of the count?

Exactly.

http://www.natsenquirer.com/2014/05/video-wilson-ramos-draws-a-five-ball-walk.html

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crimson Sox posted:

e: on a completely different note, Joel Pineiro suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a banned substance :lol:

For some reason the M's fan in me mentally read that as José Paniagua and I was absolutely shocked that he was still playing somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Storm posted:

Rajai Davis is the 28th player in history to hit a grand slam down by 3 in the final at bat of the game.

How loving cool is it to do what every kid dreams of in their back yard? Man. The bar I was at went loving nuts and some dude bought everyone shots, it owned

And if anyone wants to read brief snippets about the previous 27:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/ultimate-slam-game-over/

(No smugness intended.)

• Locked thread