Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Are the Twins teaching Hughes any secondary pitches? I know that throwing 95% fastball is enough to stop the Yankees, but surely his luck will run out vs the rest of the majors without a useful offspeed pitch. His curve looked as lovely as ever and I read in ST that the twins ditched his slider.

I always thought Hughes should learn the split finger since it is basically the perfect pitch for him (change up esque, plays off fastball, allows him to keep attacking with his FB to setup the split, not wildly used so has some secrecy vs hitters).
Yeah, he's just throwing the fastball, cutter and curve with Pitch f/x recording a change up less than 1% of the time. I guess you could call his success somewhat legit if it's because he's ditched a bad pitch for a much better pitch but we will have to see how the league adjusts to the new Hughes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Hughes curve is really bad so thats pretty funny that he is throwing nothing but fastballs & that lovely curve still. I often wondered if there was a worse secondary pitch thrown as often as Hughes did his curve. It fools virtually no one, Hughes would be pumping swing & miss fastballs at hitters and then they'd cooly line his curve ball for a single or smash it for a double or some poo poo it was incredible how bad that pitch was considering how good his fastball is.

I can't imagine the track record for non-Bartolo starters who only throw 2 pitches (fastball, fastball variant and curve) is very good in the long run (Bartolo isn't the best comparison here...)? It would be clever of the Twins if they're working on his slider (or a splitter) away from game situations because I'd imagine hitters will make an adjustment to him soon enough. I guess Cingrani got away with an obscene amount of fastballs last season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

AL All-Star balloting update:

CATCHER
1. Matt Wieters, Orioles: 842,775
2. Brian McCann, Yankees: 605,941
3. Derek Norris, A's: 569,752
4. Kurt Suzuki, Twins: 337,704
5. A.J. Pierzynski, Red Sox: 300,347

FIRST BASE
1. Miguel Cabrera, Tigers: 962,138
2. Jose Abreu, White Sox: 602,628
3. Albert Pujols, Angels: 569,211
4. Chris Davis, Orioles: 422,600
5. Mark Teixeira, Yankees: 326,972

SECOND BASE
1. Robinson Cano, Mariners: 726,158
2. Ian Kinsler, Tigers: 649,926
3. Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox: 540,515
4. Brian Dozier, Twins: 360,089
5. Howie Kendrick, Angels: 247,353

THIRD BASE
1. Josh Donaldson, A's: 956,811
2. Evan Longoria, Rays: 589,621
3. Adrian Beltre, Rangers: 497,876
4. Manny Machado, Orioles: 461,023
5. Brett Lawrie, Blue Jays: 268,136

SHORTSTOP
1. Derek Jeter, Yankees: 1,007,968
2. Alexei Ramirez, White Sox: 867,156
3. J.J. Hardy, Orioles: 488,948
4. Jose Reyes, Blue Jays: 310,446
5. Jed Lowrie, A's: 277,430

DESIGNATED HITTER
1. Nelson Cruz, Orioles: 888,855
2. David Ortiz, Red Sox: 766,631
3. Victor Martinez, Tigers: 625,279
4. Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays: 388,459
5. Alfonso Soriano, Yankees: 336,112

OUTFIELD
1. Mike Trout, Angels: 1,361,649
2. Jose Bautista, Blue Jays: 1,351,896
3. Melky Cabrera, Blue Jays: 743,208
4. Jacoby Ellsbury, Yankees: 625,206
5. Carlos Beltran, Yankees: 565,554
6. Adam Jones, Orioles: 531,882
7. Torii Hunter, Tigers: 507,424
8. Yoenis Cespedes, A's: 502,236
9. Michael Brantley, Indians: 460,384
10. Nick Markakis, Orioles: 434,228
11. Shin-Soo Choo, Rangers: 422,047
12. Alex Rios, Rangers: 337,463
13. Brett Gardner, Yankees: 336,386
14. Josh Hamilton, Angels: 304,761
15. Coco Crisp, A's: 299,400

Not enough love for Encarnacion and Brandon Moss. And they are both on the ballot as DHs despite spending most of their time at first base this year, and in 2013 as well?

And Moss has logged over half as many outfield innings as at first base this season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have a feeling Wright will win the NL 3B slot in the end. Ballot stuffing seems to still be working, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Don't forget JJ Hardy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Cubs forced to call-up Eli Whiteside to replace Welington Castillo. That means their 2 catchers are the moment are John Baker and Eli Whiteside.

V: :suicide: Cubs are the worst.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LordPants posted:

Is MiLB.tv a thing worth getting these days? It seems like almost every AAA and AA team has coverage now, right?

There's a CBS sports game of the week each week but the few times I've watched it seems like more of a 3 hour promotion for minor league baseball than live coverage of a baseball game.

E: MLB Fan Cave did an awesome thing:https://vine.co/v/MptdYeqY3Ep

tadashi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I blame Rick Snyder.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs DFA'd Veras.

Too lovely to be a Cub is a bad place to be as a baseball player.

Please take the entire outfield with you, Veras.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

:lol: people think Theo Epstein is the reason the Cubs aren't renewing with WGN Radio. Why do you hate America, Theo?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

I also missed this last night, but Jose Abreu hit his 2nd HR in as many nights back from the DL. I missed dingers.

Also, here's some Bud Norris for you:

Is the player's union actively trying to tell players not to take these deals? Also, Bud Norris has a huge hard on for hating the Astros FO.

I'm pretty sure it is since these 0 service time deals have usually been pretty team friendly so far.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

WGN America is going that route like TBS did a few years ago, but local radio is an entirely different model. Allegedly WGN threw a bunch of different options at the team, like revenue sharing and even an ownership stake in the station but in the end they just wouldn't match the 7 year cash offer CBS Radio made. WGN claims they were losing millions a year on the deal as it was, but that may just be smoke since WGN has been churning their lineup like crazy the last few years after Human Garbage Sam Zell brought in the one and only "Pig Vomit" of Howard Stern fame to run the station into the ground.

I definitely think this has a lot to do with CBS Sports' big push lately as much as WGN changing over their format.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Springer had a ton of errors when he came up too, could be nerves

Now that he's in the majors, he can resume smoking weed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He kind of reminds me of Fred McGriff for some reason?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Good night sweet prince.

Anyone care to guess how many drinks were imbibed prior to that photo?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Can he be used in a deadline trade? That's the only way this possibly makes sense.

E: Misread some info.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pastrymancy posted:

One of them is the Marlins.

Baseball.

The Braves can't hit beyond 3-4 players, the Marlins are the Marlins. What is the Nationals' excuse? I know Harper is injured but that's becoming a regular thing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

thompson posted:

The Padres hit .122 as a team over last weeks 7 game homestand...

How SD fans feel about Alonso? I know he wasn't supposed to be a big star but... oh my.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Miko posted:

Does MLB.tv include playoffs? Or is that just impossible?

No, there's a whole different thing for that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

also joey gallo hit a walkoff homer in his AA debut, just saying

Kris Bryant thinks that's cute.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MourningView posted:

They could probably at least give him a shot at AAA.

I think the upcoming couple of months is where things will get shaken up for the Cubs. He's made more errors in less chances than Sano did in his last season at AA (even if errors are a bad metric for judging minor league players, that seems pretty rough).

They're going to need to make some decisions about what they do with some of the fringe players at the ML and AAA level. Christian Villanueva is the logjam for Bryant at AAA. He's off to a slow start but has looked like a decent future backup player in the past with a decent glove and some pop. He's had a pretty steady march through the minors and only turns 23 next week. Not exactly a guy you build a team around but could be the kind of player you'd want to be able to send up and down as you need him. They may not want to mess with him just yet.

The morale of the story is still: don't be an idiot about drafting and developing players like the Cubs were for the better part of a decade.

E: Baez is hitting .372/.395/.769 (:lol: take a walk, kid) since May 17 so at least he's not dead yet.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 10, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Bob Welch died

The baseball player or former Fleetwood Mac member who died a few days ago?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the suspensions for hurting non-baseball personal are understandably harsh.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Looks like the Diamondbacks were able to secure optional (revokable) waivers for Cahill so he's probably not going anywhere (other than AAA).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 11, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jason Hammel is going to fetch way more than any team should pay for them.

I think I found the worst jerseys. Daytona's Breast Cancer Awareness/Florida camouflage:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crion posted:

Between Cespedes and Puig we're getting an absolute clinic this year on why arm is a separate tool not lumped in with the rest of a player's defensive package. Good god these "great plays"

If you took an infielder with a great arm for an infielder and moved him to the outfield, would the tool translate to being a great outfield arm or is outfield a completely different level of "great arm"?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Cubs have a 2nd baseman available

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Reminder that Austin Kearns was placed on the bereavement last May by the Marlins and then wasn't heard from again until it was announced he'd become a free agent after the season. He wasn't playing very well but it just seems weird to have a player fall off the map like that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I am guessing Rube isn't the only GM who doesn't understand baseball stats.

In fact, judging by how lovely most GMs are, I'm guessing the ones who understand the basics are in the minority.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of GMs we think are really good are actually just really lucky.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

Can't disagree with plunking Dickerson.

(I'm a Braves fan, so my opinion is invalid)

For what? Accidentally making contact with another player in the course of trying to play baseball? Should guys get plunked for collisions at bases now, too?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Never forget

Disband the BBWAA

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess San Diego's curse, in exchange for perfect weather year-round, is random sweeping wild fires and the bi-annual sacrifice of a sporting legend.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm still curious what would have happened to Gary Sheffield's numbers if he swung more often.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just realized Mark Grace has been allowed to walk away from 2 DUIs unharmed (he also chewed as much as Gwynn) and Tony Gwynn is dead. :dawkins101:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Accident Underwater posted:

Sean Doolittle and Ryan Cook designed the A's new fan giveaway

Isn't that kind of like a thing veterans relievers might make a rookie wear?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Closed before I could pick up Tony Gwynn.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's also this: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

quote:

By putting a decent hitter at the bottom of the order, the top spots in the lineup will have more runners on base to advance with walks and hits and drive in with hits.

This strategy isn't as worthwhile in the American League, because even the worst position player will be on base significantly more often than a pitcher when the top of the order comes around. Only bat the worst hitter eighth when he's significantly worse than anybody else -- maybe someone like Adam Everett or Tony Pena Jr.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dayton Moore may not be at the cutting edge of baseball strategy but at least he understands what can be done if you build a strong defensive team (especially in the outfield) to play at Kaufman. It's almost unfair that Cain, Escobar, Perez and Dyson are all producing with their bats this year. If Butler rebounds and Hosmer comes around in time to off-set Cain and Dyson's eventual regression, that's still a pretty good team in that division.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kris Bryant promoted to AAA :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

They'll plummet back to earth when they flip pitchers at the deadline.
Cower in fear at the impending unleashing of the Tsuyoshi Waaaghda!

• Locked thread