Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Right now, there's a big lady with a... dijurido?... with another lady singing in an Indian style, with a dude doing what I think is a passable imitation of Tuvan throat singing whilst simultaneously playing what is either an electric organ or maybe a theremin in a box? All basically singing/playing on top of eachother.

And then drummers on either side.

The camera man appears to be stoned, and the shot keeps drifting to the mid-point between the Tuvan guy and the Dijurido lady, where there's a lovely flower vase. :what:

(it actually isn't awful - if this were playing in a New Age coffee shop, I wouldn't immediately run into the street with blood leaking from my ears)

Yeah, based on the schedule it repeats shows every 6 or 8 hours for the day, so I saw that last night.

e: Looks like submitting to the station requires membership and orientation. :(

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
This is short notice, but if anyone is in the Dallas area, I'm giving a talk tonight for the Dallas Society of Play called "The Art of Game Jam" with tons of info about how to succeed in getting a game 'done'. A lot of it will apply to the SAGDC so it will be worth the drive I promise :) . The talk will also be recorded so I can post the youtube video later this week as well as share the slides online somewhere.

Details here: http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Fort-Worth-Indie-Game-Developers/events/174253132/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Thideras and I will be competing as a team this year, and will hopefully actually finish a game by the deadline.

Monnotonne
Apr 14, 2014
This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll :toxx: myself to make sure I submit something.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Monnotonne posted:

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll :toxx: myself to make sure I submit something.
Witnessed :haw:

xzzy posted:

How about a Sierra style adventure game and/or riff on Atari's E.T. where you try to gather equipment so you can air an episode of Wayne's World?
Yes. It's Wayne's World, of course that would fit.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Music composer checking in and offering my services to anyone who might want original music. I haven't written for games in almost 8 years, but this project would be an excellent excuse to update myself on modern sound design. If you want to take a chance on me just shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to be a part of the team!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've got one idea that I'm 90% sure on, but just to have a backup to work on, would there be any precedent in the theme for a low-budget sci-fi gimmic a la classic Doctor Who?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Are you thinking of something from say, Pirate Planet? Or something less lo-fi?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm just toying with the idea of something sci-fi themed, say x-com or FTL as examples off the top of my head, but with a feeling that everything is clearly made from household items and painted cardboard.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm just toying with the idea of something sci-fi themed, say x-com or FTL as examples off the top of my head, but with a feeling that everything is clearly made from household items and painted cardboard.

Your idea is too big. Everyone should write this down on a sticky note and stick it on his/her monitor. This is game jam rule #1.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Your idea is too big. Everyone should write this down on a sticky note and stick it on his/her monitor. This is game jam rule #1.

Ok, if sci-fi has too much of a "big budget" feel to fit the theme, I'll go back to my original idea, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So PATV question. The wikipedia article mentions these stations originally used "racks full of analog videotape decks and an automated video switching system." My assumption is that back then was a bunch of VCR's and some kind of tape robot arm to select tapes and insert them into the player.

Does anyone know more about this? Like pictures of the gear or companies that made this hardware?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

SlightlyMadman posted:

Ok, if sci-fi has too much of a "big budget" feel to fit the theme, I'll go back to my original idea, thanks!

Uv unwrapping toilet rolls and egg cartons is the sort of thing you see in AAA games.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SlightlyMadman posted:

I was thinking along the same lines, but instead of custom assets, I'd use free stuff from the Unity store - think about it this way, a public access TV show of some sort wouldn't have much in the way of custom props.

I think, anyway. Still a lot of brainstorming.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

Oh, I meant the FTL and X-com references. I thought you were going for those styles of games in terms of gameplay. Space theme can go far if you can do it right and within the timeframe of a game jam. Look at the recent space cowboy themed jam. Tons of entries ~in space~.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Oh, I meant the FTL and X-com references. I thought you were going for those styles of games in terms of gameplay. Space theme can go far if you can do it right and within the timeframe of a game jam. Look at the recent space cowboy themed jam. Tons of entries ~in space~.

Oh no, I hadn't even begun to think of an actual game idea, I was just trying to feel out the theme. Thanks!

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I'd like to see some cardboard rocket ships with smoke bombs inside being floated around on fishing line sticks.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

So PATV question. The wikipedia article mentions these stations originally used "racks full of analog videotape decks and an automated video switching system." My assumption is that back then was a bunch of VCR's and some kind of tape robot arm to select tapes and insert them into the player.

Does anyone know more about this? Like pictures of the gear or companies that made this hardware?

Ask and you shall receive! Straight from the gem that is "Hackers". Mess with the best and die like the rest. :allears:

http://youtu.be/2efhrCxI4J0

poemdexter: I really wish your Game Jam discussion was on the weekend. I live in College Station but I'm coming home to visit the parents this weekend in Fort Worth. Oh well, best of luck though! Please host it somewhere, I'm sure it would really come in handy in the coming weeks.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diametunim posted:

Ask and you shall receive! Straight from the gem that is "Hackers". Mess with the best and die like the rest. :allears:

Yes, but is that equipment authentic? I mean the movie got almost nothing else right about technology, why would they get that right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

In fact this would be a FANTASTIC opportunity for someone to make an FMV game, if anyone ever wanted to try one of those. Man. I wish I had the spare money to offer a bounty to see that happen. I've no doubt we'll see FMVs already (Sigma-X, etc), but I want to see a terribad Tex Murphy game, dammit, or a Sewer Shark or something.

This is a cool idea. I'll have to check if I could actually build a game with my current tools. I also struggle for time around this time of year so I'm not signing up as it's difficult for me to get any projects done outside of work.

e: I might give this a try but I'm not sure I'll have a green screen in time.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 10, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

Yes, but is that equipment authentic? I mean the movie got almost nothing else right about technology, why would they get that right?

The TV station I worked didn't have a tape robot... But the Date center I worked at had an IBM tape library robot. Aside from the tapes being different, the machine it self should look about the same. Look for images or video of IBM 3494 tape libraries.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

The TV station I worked didn't have a tape robot... But the Date center I worked at had an IBM tape library robot. Aside from the tapes being different, the machine it self should look about the same. Look for images or video of IBM 3494 tape libraries.

I work in proximity to tape robots, so I know the basics.

I'd just feel a lot happier with some actual examples of what TV stations used for automation in the 70's and 80's. I spent way too long googling and found almost nothing.

Obviously I could fudge it in a game. This is more a curiosity thing. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man, I want to do this again this year, but I remember how wrecked I was last year and the year before that. :ohdear:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
If anyone needs some more public access inspiration I present the Bay Area Video Coalition. Anyone have any completed game jams they could post up? I'm still trying to come up with ideas and get a general feel for how "ambitious" I should get with this project.

I've come up with two ideas, one's sort of a Fire Emblem public access rpg, and the other's a public access themed fighting game. Both of those ideas seem like they would be a little difficult to flesh out in such a short span of time. I've never played any game jam games before so I'm trying to figure out what works and what doesn't development wise. I understand the point is to keep things short and sweet. Problem is, what do I decide to showcase in a potential idea?

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

For those that need more incentive, looks like GameMaker: Studio went "free", basically removing the resource restrictions of the Free version to whatever Standard is. They gave away Standard at a limited time for free a couple months ago oddly enough.

I'm still thinking about it. That's quite a mountain, but I have wanted to try it for a couple year now....

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Having let the theme sit in my head for a while, I finally thought up an idea I think would be quite doable and quite fun at that.

Basically, the "game" is just a chatroom in which when you join, you are given two options, "I wanna be on TV!" and "I wanna watch TV!" The first option randomly assigns you a chat partner and assigns you a character as well.

Example: "You are the host of your very own Talk Show! You are interviewing a local woman who specializes in cat-shaped jewelry." In this case, the other person gets told they are the cat jewelry lady. And essentially the game plays out like an improv game. The "watch tv" option simply takes you to one of these chatrooms so you can witness the hilarity/mundanity of it all. Just like real public access television!

^ An average session of a PATV chatroom, complete with funny old people/public access people to represent your avatars.

I personally think this encompasses the theme quite well, and would be quite easy to make some basic talking animations/characters for, but I don't really know how to go about making something like an online browser based chatroom, so if anyone would like to help on this one, be my guest!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
With the PATV theme if nobody makes a Gorgeous George :george: game I'll...uh be disappointed

:notoxx:

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
I'm joining as Team Peterreteveterretep.

I'll be doing the coding and I'm hoping to have a friend of mine do some artwork. Sound... who knows?

Preliminary idea is a Public Access TV Collectible Card Game. Not really collectible but at least everyone knows the kind of game I'm trying to make.

A CCG feels a bit like a cop-out since every theme can be turned into a CCG, but it's the best I could come up with after thinking on it for a couple of days AND I've got some fun ideas for cards already.

Also, it feels simple enough for my second fooray into using HaxePunk and maybe (but this is a little ambitious) I can throw in some multiplayer.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Diametunim posted:

poemdexter: I really wish your Game Jam discussion was on the weekend. I live in College Station but I'm coming home to visit the parents this weekend in Fort Worth. Oh well, best of luck though! Please host it somewhere, I'm sure it would really come in handy in the coming weeks.

As soon as the video is uploaded, I'll post it here. Tons of good information.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

aerique posted:

I'm joining as Team Peterreteveterretep.

I'll be doing the coding and I'm hoping to have a friend of mine do some artwork. Sound... who knows?

Preliminary idea is a Public Access TV Collectible Card Game. Not really collectible but at least everyone knows the kind of game I'm trying to make.

A CCG feels a bit like a cop-out since every theme can be turned into a CCG, but it's the best I could come up with after thinking on it for a couple of days AND I've got some fun ideas for cards already.

Also, it feels simple enough for my second fooray into using HaxePunk and maybe (but this is a little ambitious) I can throw in some multiplayer.

It's not a cop-out. No mater what kind of game you make, you are not going to be making a Public Access TV game because that is not a game type. It is a theme. The goal is to come up with a fun and/or interesting way to abstract the concepts of Public Access TV to some kind of game play mechanic. Wither it be CCG or RPG.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Having let the theme sit in my head for a while, I finally thought up an idea I think would be quite doable and quite fun at that.

Basically, the "game" is just a chatroom in which when you join, you are given two options, "I wanna be on TV!" and "I wanna watch TV!" The first option randomly assigns you a chat partner and assigns you a character as well.

Example: "You are the host of your very own Talk Show! You are interviewing a local woman who specializes in cat-shaped jewelry." In this case, the other person gets told they are the cat jewelry lady. And essentially the game plays out like an improv game. The "watch tv" option simply takes you to one of these chatrooms so you can witness the hilarity/mundanity of it all. Just like real public access television!

^ An average session of a PATV chatroom, complete with funny old people/public access people to represent your avatars.

I personally think this encompasses the theme quite well, and would be quite easy to make some basic talking animations/characters for, but I don't really know how to go about making something like an online browser based chatroom, so if anyone would like to help on this one, be my guest!

This could very well be this years HONK!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

pixaal posted:

This could very well be this years HONK!
Make sure the scoring is audience-driven, with them having "ICE BURN" buttons or whatever to push for each side of the talk show (that give immediate feedback to the speaker person as well as the rest of the audience), and that could be fun as hell. Gamified Role-Playing Chat Roulette.

It'd make HONK look downright pedestrian. Except that HONK would still be awesome. HONK is eternal. HONK.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shalinor posted:

Make sure the scoring is audience-driven, with them having "ICE BURN" buttons or whatever to push for each side of the talk show (that give immediate feedback to the speaker person as well as the rest of the audience), and that could be fun as hell. Gamified Role-Playing Chat Roulette.

It'd make HONK look downright pedestrian. Except that HONK would still be awesome. HONK is eternal. HONK.

HONK will never look pedestrian, and how dare you even think that it could be. You bring great shame to all that is good in this world of video games. :getout:

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Bert of the Forest posted:

Heh, this was pretty close to the idea I had and my buddy said we wouldn't be able to do in time. Mine was more an MST3k style over streaming stock/instructional video from this place: https://archive.org/details/ephemera, with 4 chatting people in the alcove and audience members in the theater in silhouette. The audience was supposed to participate by watching and behaving themselves or throwing concession stand food at the commentators on the screen and jumping around in front of the screen.

Yours is much more on theme and scope, though. I'm glad this is going to be a thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't read the thread yet, I'll be going back and doing that, but I am putting my hat in as a sound designer and composer. I'm still sorry about last year's lack of... anything, really, but my wife and I were dealing with bed bugs. This year, we're 'only' having a baby, so I will have some parental time off and a few hours here and there to knock some stuff out.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I have a large library of audio samples, and will be able to easily make what you want sound old-timey, for lack of the technical explanation (it's really just a filter and compression).

Phreak, you in on this? Or anyone else I've worked with in the past?

EDIT 2: I see that a huge texture pack is part of a prize... I'm wondering if there's a possibility for a huge sample library as a prize for the game with the best audio? Boom Library has some good ones.

http://www.boomlibrary.com/

Just a thought.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 10, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I, too, am still looking for a group/team as a composer if anyone is still looking! I have PMs or hit me up with a reply here if you need email or whatever. Soundcloud link is in the 2nd OP post.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

It looks like the old SA GameDev wiki might have been taken down by a troll. bbcisdabomb is working on a new one / has a ton of zips from all the entries themselves, but information as to which was from which competition, team page contents, all of that appears to have been wiped. Could also have just been a spambot, who know, but still. :(

If that indeed ends up the case, we'll create a "history" page of some sort where previous entrants can link their old entries up in the appropriate previous year / see how much of that we can reconstruct.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I'm in. Gotta build that portfolio anyway!

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm really interested in this - I'm a student in CS so I've quickly picked up Unity, but I'm also a lovely student so I may not be the greatest at it. I'd love to work together with any 2D art people, or possibly 3D if the scope is small enough. Email is rssheah2@illinois.edu since I don't have PMs.
I'm broke enough that I'll probably never get my SA account back if it's banned, so :toxx:ing myself should be more than enough motivation.

Fangz posted:

I've done some 2D art, but not much sprite art/animation, though I'd love to learn! I also have dabbled in Gamemaker, so if we are working in that I can do some programming duties. But mainly I want someone super enthusiastic that is 0% likely to flake out on me, and who has (overly?) ambitious ideas.

Based in the UK.

I can't PM, but maybe we could work together?

bomblol fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
So the Orphans list is pretty solid right now. If I have missed your offering skills, or if you wish to be removed from the list as you already have a project to work on, please let me know.

• Locked thread