Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Yo, I would really like a partner who would stick with it. I mostly program in basic C# on unity and I have a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm probably going to make a thing about a small group of people badly filming themselves for a public access show about urban exploring (which is not as original of an idea as I thought it would be :mad:) and then some hijinks take place. I can do all the coding and art myself, but it would help if I had someone who could make sounds and music. Or I'll just leave it silent and play the ~it's artwork~ card.

I don't have private messages, so I guess either look for me on IRC/post here/email planetorigin@gmail.com

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Alright, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has expanded to two, with the addition of Steampunk_Spoon as our environmental artist! We are still looking for a 3D character artist, and since it's looking increasingly likely that we're going to be making a straight-up horror game, a sound effects wizard would also be fantastic. Our engine of choice is likely to be Unity.

blastron fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 3, 2014

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
OK here's my latest idea. I worry this might just be tacking the theme on kind of superficially, but oh well:

Public Access TV is basically Youtube before the Internet. So the game would be someone doing an LP on public access before the Internet existed. Game camera would show a CRT monitor over the shoulder of someone, and you would basically play the game as the "LPer", who would add commentary to the gameplay. That would be where the public access "charm" shines through, basically stuff like when you die he'll say "That doesn't usually happen", say stuff about the levels and the enemies etc., ruin surprises and just be a generally bad LPer. The game itself would be... I don't know yet, maybe just a really simple platformer/RPG/roguelike or something so I would have time to focus on bringing the theme out.

Thoughts?

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
I'd like to be a judge again. Special qualifications: industry experience on multiple published titles, several previous entries in this competition (some much worse than others, admittedly), previous judging experience in these competitions, ownership of both Windows and OS X machines, massive ability to be a cock to other people, and (most importantly, I think) actual production experience on public access television shows.

Also, it's possible that I'll throw together some sort of entry that I don't intend to be judged. That's been known to happen.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rogue Lemon posted:

I just happen to have started dicking around with Stencyl, maybe I'll feel up to this in a couple of weeks.

Does a low-budget, poorly-acted movie put together by a high school AV club count as Public access?
Yes.

In fact this would be a FANTASTIC opportunity for someone to make an FMV game, if anyone ever wanted to try one of those. Man. I wish I had the spare money to offer a bounty to see that happen. I've no doubt we'll see FMVs already (Sigma-X, etc), but I want to see a terribad Tex Murphy game, dammit, or a Sewer Shark or something.

Tube posted:

Also, it's possible that I'll throw together some sort of entry that I don't intend to be judged. That's been known to happen.
This is fine, anyone is welcome to judge and make a game, just realize the game's non-judgeable. As always, make sure to flag your entry as non-judged. We'll work something out to link them separately, possibly even in the Gamer's Choice thread if they're good (and just not add them to the poll).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Yes.

In fact this would be a FANTASTIC opportunity for someone to make an FMV game, if anyone ever wanted to try one of those. Man. I wish I had the spare money to offer a bounty to see that happen. I've no doubt we'll see FMVs already (Sigma-X, etc), but I want to see a terribad Tex Murphy game, dammit, or a Sewer Shark or something.

This is fine, anyone is welcome to judge and make a game, just realize the game's non-judgeable. As always, make sure to flag your entry as non-judged. We'll work something out to link them separately, possibly even in the Gamer's Choice thread if they're good (and just not add them to the poll).

Oh my god, I will give a bonus prize of some kind to anyone who makes a public access FMV game remake of the original Police Quest SWAT. Yeah, SWAT 1. With the gun-toting grandma hiding in the yard.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

blastron posted:

Alright, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has expanded to two, with the addition of Steampunk_Spoon as our environmental artist! We are still looking for a 3D character artist, and since it's looking increasingly likely that we're going to be making a straight-up horror game, a sound effects wizard would also be fantastic. Our engine of choice is likely to be Unity.

Aw yeah, looking forward to making some creepy stuff!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Well, I actually came up with an idea, which is terrible because I know perfectly well that I'll fail to realize it. In the incredibly unlikely event that I complete an entry, it will be a little Zelda-style game where a bunch of community college students are recording their LARP for a film class or the college TV station or whatever. I'm thinking that aside from "monsters," there will be random passers-by who will call campus security on you if you hit them.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Third Murderer posted:

Well, I actually came up with an idea, which is terrible because I know perfectly well that I'll fail to realize it. In the incredibly unlikely event that I complete an entry, it will be a little Zelda-style game where a bunch of community college students are recording their LARP for a film class or the college TV station or whatever. I'm thinking that aside from "monsters," there will be random passers-by who will call campus security on you if you hit them.

:argh:

This is almost exactly what I had in mind after I discarded my first idea.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
GAME IDEA GENERATE:

You are a tv psychic and you have to predict stuff about callers and hang up on crank calls. Buy candles and incense to increase your powers but beware the added fire risk!

And this time I won't give up half way through and switch to a new idea!

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Not sure if it would be focus (as I don't think these were a part of TV in general rather than just Public Access), but I want to make a game that somehow features fictional ads for weird premium rate hotlines, seems that you could make a hotline for anything back in the day, there are loads of these on youtube

Freak phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQiSGb4Luw

Crying hotline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-akWAWOp2Y

Journey into terror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f3_6izomc

ClownSyndrome fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 3, 2014

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Put me in coach, I'm ready. I'm team Forever Alone!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

:argh:

This is almost exactly what I had in mind after I discarded my first idea.

I wasn't joking when I said I was unlikely to actually complete something to submit, so don't let me stop you. The worst possible outcome is that there are two entries with similar ideas, which doesn't really matter anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Last year how many games tried to be a pissing or making GBS threads simulator and didn't finish? We did get How to Poop which was glorious though.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Last year how many games tried to be a pissing or making GBS threads simulator and didn't finish? We did get How to Poop which was glorious though.

Pissim was about as polished as one can expect a game of that sort to get. :smith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jo posted:

Pissim was about as polished as one can expect a game of that sort to get. :smith:

Nothing against not finishing it happens, this is for fun and people have day jobs too. I was just pointing out we had 5 or 6 people early on say they were making one and didn't produce anything. If people want to do the same thing as someone else go right ahead, worst case someone else does the idea too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Entering as "Team Shut Up And Make Game". Just myself as a team member now, reaching out to some folks about it in the near future.

edit: Gonna be ideally looking for artists and sound producers. I know they're in low supply, but I'm not asking for a studio, just someone with a little experience. You can email me/Hangouts chat me at sorrowspear at gmail if interested.

edit2: Probably want to describe my skills. 3+ years of C# experience. I would be your coder. I have limited experience with Unity, and would prefer to use that.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 3, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there a list of stuff from last year? I managed to miss all of it.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

Is there a list of stuff from last year? I managed to miss all of it.

I think it's in the wiki, which I'm told is owned by JonTerp. It's down at the moment. :argh:

Here's a link to the Archive.org version: https://web.archive.org/web/20131003144028/http://labtanner.com/gamedev/index.php?title=SA_GameDev_VIII

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

My favorite of the last couple years is still Virtual Ball Sack. :allears: A timeless masterpiece.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm busy working on videogames but I'd like to give this another try after TEAM SYMPATHY VOTES PLZ's disappointing attempt at a Breaking Bad Rhythm game last year..

I'm an artist and I do art.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I can do 2d pixel art, 3d models, animation or music. I'm not amazingly great at either.

I can code if I really have to, but I kinda suck at it.

Reginald Fritz
Jan 13, 2010
Hi all, If any of you need a sound designer/composer I'm totally down to help. Mostly worked in film sound but I'm willing to learn whatever's needed to get the job done!
You can contact me through the thread or even better would be email at my klynn_bagaco@yahoo.com.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Throwing my hat into the ring. I can do music and basic sound design. I worked on two games last year and have helped out on a couple of other projects since. I'm a professional musician by day and write mostly orchestral and band music for live performance and occasionally for media and short film.

SAMPLES:
Funk track - originally for background music of a puzzle game
Opening fanfare - Orchestral title screen music
Battle sequence - Orchestral battle music for SRPG type setting
Overworld - Long orchestral overworld loop for light RPG type setting
Ripples - Ballad for short film media

So if you are thinking you want music that would fit in a Final Fantasy type game or even something that would fit in an Shin Megami Tensei or action game... hell, anything really... I'm your guy.

Contact me through PM or at jr at dbzm dot org

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Leif. posted:

Oh my god, I will give a bonus prize of some kind to anyone who makes a public access FMV game remake of the original Police Quest SWAT. Yeah, SWAT 1. With the gun-toting grandma hiding in the yard.
Come down hard on a prize, so I can make your prize entry seem less wishy washy. JUST HOW BAD do you want a SWAT 1 nod, mister? :3:

... and do you want a single BIG bounty the one of your choice that does it, or the as-currently-written bounty to anyone that does it.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

bagina posted:

Throwing my hat into the ring. I can do music and basic sound design. I worked on two games last year and have helped out on a couple of other projects since. I'm a professional musician by day and write mostly orchestral and band music for live performance and occasionally for media and short film.

SAMPLES:

So if you are thinking you want music that would fit in a Final Fantasy type game or even something that would fit in an Shin Megami Tensei or action game... hell, anything really... I'm your guy.

This man rocks and I can recommend him with no reservations. His music was the best part of my game last year.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Orphan Contributors and Desired Skills has been updated. If anything wrong or if you get recruited and want people to stop pounding down your door, let me know and I'll update appropriately.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

JossiRossi posted:

Orphan Contributors and Desired Skills has been updated. If anything wrong or if you get recruited and want people to stop pounding down your door, let me know and I'll update appropriately.
You are awesome for doing this.

EDIT: VV :hfive:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 3, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shalinor posted:

You are awesome for doing this.

Happy to help! I've personally been lost in the cacophony of talking before because I didn't speak up as much as others, and I think that the lists on the front will help everyone get a fair shake at being paired up. Also, I have to imagine what you need to handle behind the scenes can get pretty messy, so if it's one less thing for you to worry about I'm glad to take it off your hands.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

bagina posted:

SAMPLES:

I would also like to vouch for this gentleman, as he is loving amazing. He worked with my team last year, and I feel bad our game didn't do his talent justice.

It's unlikely Team Metalworks is participating this year, since we're working on two other video games and some side projects at the moment. This may change if we come up with an idea that we simply MUST see happen, but we are both pretty busy. I'm always excited to play what everyone else comes up with.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Along with throwing my hat in to judge, I mentioned that I would be hosting a #SAGameDev Choice award. One winner will get $200 from yours truly as a way to spread some of the indie wealth around after Western Complete FPS did so well during the Unity sale.

Voting will be allowed by anyone NOT with an entry and also hanging out in the #SAGameDev channel on synirc. That means if you hit the wall of shame, you can still participate by showering some lucky team in dollar bills! Voting will occur during the judging phase of SAGDC.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Ok I have a TON of unused Steam keys from various bundles. If it's cool I'd like to offer up the following as prizes.

Solar 2
Nightsky
Dungeon Defenders
Frozen Synapse
Anodyne
Incredipede
The Bard's Tale
Organ Trail
Broken Sword
Anomaly Korea
Awesomenauts
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Little Inferno
Hotline Miami
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Reus
Dead Space
To the Moon
Atom Zombie Smasher
Gratuitous Space Battles

Maybe split these up a bit, but I would like to offer a prize for a Twine game and maybe something for "Best First Game"

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Goon Betamin and I are entering as team Möbius Strip. Let's see if we can cobble together a Warioware inspired microgames game before losing interest! We will be using Gamemaker most likely because programming is hard.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Throw me up on the list of participants. I've got two roommates that could possibly be interested in this but more than likely it'll just be me.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

ShredsYouSay posted:

I can do 2d pixel art, 3d models, animation or music. I'm not amazingly great at either.

I can code if I really have to, but I kinda suck at it.

lets hook up man teamchannel100@gmail.com

edit: reading comprehension

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 4, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Throwing my name in the ring. I"m working with the Orange like last time.

I'm pretty much the pixel artist/animator.

Would like to see if I can get a 2nd pixel artist/animator on the team. Would really help alot.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Come down hard on a prize, so I can make your prize entry seem less wishy washy. JUST HOW BAD do you want a SWAT 1 nod, mister? :3:

... and do you want a single BIG bounty the one of your choice that does it, or the as-currently-written bounty to anyone that does it.

Anyone who does it, I'll gift them a copy of Door Kickers on Steam.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has picked up Reginald Fritz as our sound wizard! So far, we've got programming, environmental art, and sound effects covered, but we are still looking for a 3D character artist and animator! If you'd like to help contribute to our awesome, 3D, Unity-based urban exploration horror game with a super-unique twist on the public access TV theme, please drop me a PM or shoot me an email at blastron@mac.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Lord Lambeth and I are in. :toot:

Tentatively, TEAM MARENGHI!

• Locked thread