Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
There's nothing quite like contributing four entirely different styles of music to four entirely different projects. I'm excited to do it again! Maybe I'll even learn Unity and try to contribute my own, semi-functional game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh gosh, it's Day 7 and I still haven't done anything.

Looks like it's time to start ctrl+f'ing "music" in this thread every day and see who needs a composer.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Do ya' like painting? :v:

I have very little idea how to respond to this question because I am overthinking it, so I'm just going to say,

I find painting enjoyable but I'm pretty much garbage at it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Sorry, that was a failing attempt at humor which is a little ambiguous. Our team is working on The Rage of Painting with B.O.B. r055. There's some bullshit about it on the front page and a few details on http://josephcatrambone.com . We could use musical skills if the project is of interest. I'm available by PM and at Jo.jcat at the gmail.com.

See, that's what I thought you were going for, by my brain under mild amounts of stress refuses to properly acknowledge humor like that. I'll get into contact.

(If anyone else needs a composer, I handled like 4 projects last year, so I'd be more than willing to take on others right now.)

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Would you like to make a music track for me and my retro FPS? I was toying with not having any music at all but I think something low-key like this from Blake Stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgodenUKdQ would work well (Doom is a OTT for this). I know it's a weird request to work with lo-fi sounds but if you fancy making a sort of catchy theme about some SWAT guys sneaking about in the adlib style then I'd be very happy. My title screen music is midi converted with a Gravis Ultrasound sound-font, so it really needs to be super basic to fit in with that. I have PMs or you can e-mail me at 'contact' at my website which is: david walters development dot com or maybe you'll find me on IRC. I figure I'm bound to finish this if I rope in enough people to make me feel like I'm letting someone down if I don't.

Ooh, that sounds like that might be fun to try! I'll get into contact. Looks like I'm all set until the end of the competition where I help out the few stragglers begging for a musician. :smuggo:

edit:

Gunzil posted:

I will take a music if you are still offering. Email me at pikmin[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll give you some things I need. Our aesthetic is low-poly N64 definately-not-Zelda.
Almost missed this! I'll get into contact. Time to make way too much music in the span of little more than three weeks!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 8, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Right, so, Day 15, a little over half the month left:

Unfortunately, the team that I initially signed up for - Team Primetime - has done juuuust about nothing. So it looks like I'll likely be up on the wall of shame for that.

On the bright side, the other three "teams" I'm working with have it together, and I'm getting a whole lot done (especially considering that I started 7 days ago). I've finished four tracks with three additional tracks currently in the works, and I've also had the opportunity to do a bit of sound effect work in the meantime. I've had a lot of fun working with Team Terrible TripleD Gramphics; picking up a soundfont from an old game and forcing myself to work with it tends to make for rather enjoyable, educational experiences. I've been taking a look at music from OoT and MM and trying to find a way to take their downplayed dungeon ambiance and mix it with some more melody. Stuff like this is what I've come up with so far.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Ultigonio made some sweet jams for our in-game segments. :cool:
Those jams will be even sweeter very soon! The only issue with shifting between multiple projects (other than the fact that it can be time-consuming) is that sometimes you find yourself on a roll with a given set of ideas, and so you'll neglect the other project(s) for a while and make them worried.
Speaking of the music for Rage of Painting, though, I'm a little surprised how it's turning out - initially, I was very unsatisfied with this particular song I'm working on, but it's become something that I enjoy a fair bit, in addition to using some chord progressions that I don't see much of in my own work.

Mo_Steel posted:

:3: Turtles all the way down indeed.
The entire slope part had me laughing far too hard.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

bagina posted:

What the hell? Both last year and this year during the competition I also lost friends. This didn't happen until I started participating in this. I BLAME RICHARD.

I'm starting to question whether or not I should do SAGDC next year.

Let's see.... Exposure and experience for my work in the realm of video games, or the lives of my loved ones....

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ClownSyndrome posted:

Started working on a few ideas for this but never really had much motivation or started overthinking some of them, same thing happened last year (although I ended up scrapping everything and making a game in the last 4 days that turned out pretty good)
To be fair, this is one of the more... vague themes I've seen for SAGDC.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Mo_Steel posted:

Hmmm maybe I can improve the physics by allowing the turtle angular movement...

:stonk: SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!

This is beautiful.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
You know, now that I think of it, I made a game that used slopes and vague "slope physics" quite some time ago in Game Maker. I believe I achieved it by setting the vertical speed to the horizontal speed when going up slopes.

It... wasn't without its problems, though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Shalinor posted:

We'll do an "entry grid" again with little banners, too, I just need to remember what the size of the banner images was. Anyone remember, off the top of their head?

No, but I used a forbidden power to divine that the banner size was 320x200.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Shalinor posted:

You could use a bit more explanation - I can't quite tell what the connection is between the bob ross video and the painting minigame.

Did you click on the question-marked box next to one of the game modes?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK, Game Knight is finished. Far as I can tell it's bug free and everything works as intended. Let me know if anything breaks. It should be beatable within like half an hour. Less if you hate jokes, more if the RNG decides it loathes your existence and that you should suffer.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/SevenHams/game-knight

Aaaaaahhhh why would you use the arrow keys, space bar, and mouse, but not WASD????

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, with barely any time left at all, I've happily managed to finish my various odds and ends for other people's games. I've made a bajillion sound effects and a fair few songs, and I'm actually fairly pleased with just about everything I put out this year. There was, however, one track that was unable to make it due to limited time, but I'm reasonably proud of it!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Was gonna' say something along the lines of what Polo-Rican said. Good song, questionable mix. I think that's a clav doin' the funky chords in the background, too? Whatever it is, you might wanna' turn up the dry signal for that one a little bit - or lower the wet.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 30, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It might be really helpful to have a way to see what your cast members schedules are while on the "Shoot a Scene" tab.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Apple Jax posted:

Can't believe how many games there are this year, 40 (I'm forgetting...did we have that many last year?)!
We actually had more last year: 47.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jon93 posted:

and finally... TWO unique users who previously played Sewer Solvers. Too bad the special surprise didn't work on webplayer.

And I was the other one! :v:

• Locked thread