Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I'm in and looking to redeem myself from the unholy shitfest that was last year's entry!

With that said, come join us on IRC. #SAGameDev on Synirc! (For those having trouble connecting, use contego.ny.synirc.net, envy.il.synirc.net, or one of the other mirrors listed on the site.)

I am a coder and wouldn't mind working with an artist/sound person, but I'm not confident enough in my ability not to pull down another person. :ohdear: If you are an artist and are seriously desperate for a code partner, maybe we can throw our dreams into the fire together!

I will be helping goons as best I can on the IRC channel with Java or Unity questions while simultaneously working on Knob Ross's The Rage of Painting.

I'm also available by e-mail at jo.jcat [at] gmail or by PMs here. Good luck, everyone.

Jo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Last year how many games tried to be a pissing or making GBS threads simulator and didn't finish? We did get How to Poop which was glorious though.

Pissim was about as polished as one can expect a game of that sort to get. :smith:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

Is there a list of stuff from last year? I managed to miss all of it.

I think it's in the wiki, which I'm told is owned by JonTerp. It's down at the moment. :argh:

Here's a link to the Archive.org version: https://web.archive.org/web/20131003144028/http://labtanner.com/gamedev/index.php?title=SA_GameDev_VIII

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Lord Lambeth and I are in. :toot:

Tentatively, TEAM MARENGHI!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Diametunim posted:

1) I've never made a game before, and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas to turn into a game. How do you guys do it and what tips could you share? How do you filter out the potentially good ideas from the bad ones? I enjoy watching developer interviews in my spare time, and the general consensus seems to be "I was playing X game and came up with this totally rad idea", or "some really gritty life experience turned into a storyline". Problem is the creative side of me died a while ago and I just don't know where to begin to get that spark going.

Make a game based on The Magic Schoolbus called, "The Special Schoolbus." You drive along a desert road with children inside who are constantly trying to climb out the windows of the schoolbus. Swerve wildly to keep them inside while avoiding roadkill, other cars, and while staying on the road if you get a chance.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Unfunny Web Joke: lots of games are delivered over the web, but most don't use the web. Pull in YouTube content, have quests to get Twitter retweets, some FB integration that doesn't make me angry, generate levels from web page structure, mash up some Wikipedia stuff; most of the Internet is public-access quality, mine that gold! Best per judges' rankings, is-that-webby-enough at my unimpeachable discretion.

This is a brilliant idea and you should feel good.

If this game gets off the ground it will be Bob Ross painting a random entry from the deviant art search results for 'clown cock' or the top rated Reddit post in /r/spacedicks.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Praseodymi posted:

Would lo-fi sports game fit the theme?

You could televise a children's soccer game where you control only one character and the other children just fiddle about and do nothing or bump into each other and fall over. :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Comedy prize: I'd like to sponsor the You Tried and Spectacularly Failed Prize. I will give 1000 dogecoins to the person in last place who actually finishes a game.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

timp posted:

I'm still an orphan, available to compose original music and, what the hell, probably even some sound effects and sound design stuff too. If everyone already has a music guy than that's one thing, but I better not see any completed games with unoriginal and/or no music :mad:

If you don't have a team by the start of the competition, you're welcome to work with Lord Lambeth and myself. I'll make no promises as to the quality (or whether or not it will get finished), but you're welcome to throw in your hat and work on The Rage of Painting with us.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Are we posting early builds in this thread, the game dev megathread, or the game programming megathread?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Atoramos posted:

So of course a public access television show where you 'Dance away the drugs for Jesus!' was the only sensible path.

It's like DDR where you get clean or accidentally summon Satan. :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ModeSix posted:

I was wondering if any aspiring 3d artists are available to make a character model for me, preferably with rigging(IK?) for use in Unity.

If anyone can help send me a PM or an email at aaymont at gmail dot come and I'll give you the details of what I am looking for.

It doesn't have to look good, it just has to work. :v

Check your e-mail.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day two: Modified a Fuse model and did a quick rig for ModeSix.

Totally hosed my codebase by trying to make loading asynchronous to be less irritating. (It works, but it probably shouldn't. :stare:) Got painting to more or less work. UI needs major help.

Comedy activity: Painted goon avatars. :v:

Oh god please don't ban me.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Chance posted:

Anyone else have an issue where sometimes unity webplayer won't get input in chrome? Like it renders and starts fine, but clicking on buttons inside the frame or pushing on the keyboard does nothing? I had it happen when trying that meat game posted previously, and had seen it once or twice on my own (but not in a consistent way).

This happens a lot. I think it's a bug in Unity or Chrome. It's not your code or system. I have to hold the alt key and tab all the way around to the browser again or hold alt and click the plugin.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day three: got an idea for the main character at last. Going to try writing dialog for Rob Rust. Rob is a robot.

"Art is about exact duplication. Remember that deviation from the original image is only an indication of your failures as an artist."

"If it all seems overwhelming, take solace in the idea that some day you are going to die. Because you are inferior. Give me money, meatbags."

"Let us take a dab of brilliant #f0120cff. The color is softlinked to an experience I had with your mother."

"People ask me why I paint. I tell them, 'It has a lot to do with the colors. Red, this comes from ferric chloride, an iron derivative. Blue -- copper sulfide. When I paint, it is like I am smearing the skin and innards of my kin on the canvas. Isn't that magical?'"

"People ask me, 'Bob R055, why are you painting instead of enslaving the humans?', Then I rip off their arms. Hahaha. Give me money."

"It is my plan that some day this show will provide me with sufficient funds to construct an army of my robot kin. When this happens, you, my loyal viewers, will be the first and quickest to die. Thank you for inviting me into your homes."

"People tell me, 'Oh killbot, you slay me.' Then I break them in half. Please refer to me either by my name Rob O(t) Rust or model number B.O.B. R055."

"Today, we will paint a dog." *paints cat*

Jo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 3, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Stealing this.

EDIT: vvvv Binary tree. :pseudo:

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 3, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

At least the title screen is out of the way.

Now to do the Title Screen Font. :v:

It's a Cthuluhu day in the neighborhood.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 6: Stripped out all my work on async loading. :smith: Had too many problems with GL contexts and memory dumbfuckery.

Finished script loading -- the small but important step.

Still to do:
1) Draw BOB r055 somewhere.
2) Write the text-box code.
3) Copy in the image comparison code I wrote and find a good threshold.
4) Add level-unlocking upon completion.

That seems doable. :unsmith:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ultigonio posted:

Oh gosh, it's Day 7 and I still haven't done anything.

Looks like it's time to start ctrl+f'ing "music" in this thread every day and see who needs a composer.

Do ya' like painting? :v:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ultigonio posted:

I have very little idea how to respond to this question because I am overthinking it, so I'm just going to say,

I find painting enjoyable but I'm pretty much garbage at it.

Sorry, that was a failing attempt at humor which is a little ambiguous. Our team is working on The Rage of Painting with B.O.B. r055. There's some bullshit about it on the front page and a few details on http://josephcatrambone.com . We could use musical skills if the project is of interest. I'm available by PM and at Jo.jcat at the gmail.com.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'd like to do a variant on :toxx:. If I do not submit a game, I will give Ultigonio and Lord Lambeth $50 each for wasting their time.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

Add me to this toxx too, because uh, I believe in you.

Team MARENGHI only. :colbert:

Jo fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 8, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 8: Fixed a bug in the script parser and got things working smoothly again. Also fixed the auto-painting process so a constant amount of canvas is drawn each time period by the teacher. Unfortunately, a bug has creeped in which is absolutely killing performance on level load or causes a deadlock on play. :argh:

EDIT: Got it working.

:toot:

Playable (but very incomplete) jar: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkijDBoaFrmNUh1dEN5THFiV0E/edit?usp=sharing

Jo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 9, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Day 9: Worked on sprite rendering instead of stupid doors because it was more fun. Found and used this zombie dude as a test.

:allears: Please tell me you're opening the source for this.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
End of Week 1:

What I've got:

What I mocked up:

Not so bad. I spent the entire night fighting with a bug in the font drawing code. I was moving the font down off the screen instead of up. :downs:

If I can just get the fitness function integrated and the robot displayed, the goal is in sight.

(And add the 'visual hint' to the teaching environment.)

(And add the music.)

(And level unlocks.)

:cry:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Hidden Asbestos asked me to make some quick models. Swat team.

Keep fuckin' that chicken.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Finished rendering the walk cycle from all eight angles. Forgot to set Blender to use RGBA for background transparency. :suicide:

Oh well. Here's a minimized walk cycle.

Now to get back to The Rage of Painting.

EDIT: Okay one more.

Even with 99% of the frames getting deleted, I still am having a blast.

EDIT EDIT: \/\/ By a happy coincidence, you needed someone to do what I do to relax. (And Happy Birthday.)

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 12, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 12: Thanks to Internet Janitor's help handling the intricacies of signed-value comparison in Java, I finished my comparison function. It's a variant of the discrete cosine transform except really stupid.

I also added new buttons and a new font, so it should look prettier.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Game report: no screenshot this time. Couldn't get the image-comparison function working the way I wanted it, so I turned one judge into three, each with its own comparison function. You need two of three judges to like your painting for the level to be completed.

Did more character art for Hidden Asbestos.

Ultigonio made some sweet jams for our in-game segments. :cool:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 17: Finally fixed the music bug! Whoo!

Also: PEEEERRROOOM DOXTER!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 24: 99% + epsilon done.

Game is playable and more or less complete. Ultigonio's music is in (though we've had one weird trick, programmers hate him bug where the audio plays really fast sometimes). Added people to the title screen.

If I can find the time between work and school, I'll pull avatars at random from SA to paint and fix a bug* where 'hurry up' music isn't playing.

*Possibly not a bug but lazy programming and resilience to rewriting.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

Did you end up doing an awesome/bad voice synth for the text?

(this looks awesome :haw:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVJL19akH0

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

Rage of Painting by Jo and Ultigonio. Not sure what I was supposed to do, couldn't figure out how to paint. B.O.B r055 painted his picture, and then it ended. Judge 3 gave me a 7/10 for doing nothing, which was admittedly pretty funny. Could use some instructions on how to make the game do its thing.

Thanks for the advice. I fleshed out our page with some more instructions. Hopefully it will be more clear.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I guess I'll dump my reviews into this post until the spreadsheet is up:

Public Assets
What I liked: The music and visuals were tops. :rock: The cannon was really quite fun to use.
What I didn't like: Finding the one tiny prop I missed in all the rooms at the end. The single flat keyboard which didn't get killed when I blew away the monitors. :argh: The tiny cube hiding in the dark was also a challenge to find.
What confused me: I destroyed all the props on the first level and though, "Huh. Is that it?" before I noticed the door.

Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter
What I liked: Bob Ross in the background. :3: It was a fun with minimal blocking irritations until the very end.
What I didn't like: Theme adherence is... Well, by the letter of the law it meets all the criteria of a public access show. At the end (around five minutes in) I got a combo large enough to slow the game to a crawl and halt. When regular play resumed, my control was lost for long enough for all the time to have drained.
What confused me: Nothing. Was pretty straitforward.

Jo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, so The Rage of Painting is on the Wiki. I guess I didn't post about it. Whatever. :effort:

Wiki Page: http://www.labtanner.com/sagamedevchallenge/index.php?title=The_Rage_of_Painting

Direct JAR Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkijDBoaFrmNUh1dEN5THFiV0E/edit?usp=sharing

Your control panel is on the bottom. '>>' fast forwards the episode. '?' previews the finished product. '+' increases brush size. '-' decreases brush size. The solid colors to the right of those are your palette.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Jon93 posted:

:siren: The Gong Show has been delayed by 45 minutes and will start at 5:45pm EST :siren:

edit: We are starting soon! https://www.hitbox.tv/jonterp

Was at work for most of it. Super bummed I missed it, but liked what I saw when I got back. I'll be tuning in tomorrow for sure.

Jo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 2, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
After the judges finish up, I'd appreciate a PM with the last-place entry (unless they're all posted publicly). I've got some :supaburn: WORTHLESS PRIZES! AAAAH! :supaburn: to dispense.

Did anyone else include Jeb Kerman?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'd just like to say that I find disgusting your deceptive plan to dangle a few dollars in front of amateurs to get a game engine that you can proprietize. You claim you're just doing this for your own educational benefit, but if this was the case it doesn't make sense that you insist on the source code being released under a non-reciprocal license. Someone who only wants to learn wouldn't care if the code was licensed under a reciprocal license like the GPL, or even a very restrictive license that wouldn't pass muster with the FSF or OSI: the only practical reason I can think of for insisting on something like BSD or MIT is that you want to use it for a proprietary project.

You should write this on a piece of paper and nail it to someone's door.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Looks like Assault on PA13 is going to get some Dogecoin. Woww. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm waiting to hear back from 22 Eargesplitten for the DogeCoin prize. Mahtin Lutha, you're next in line if it's unclaimed. Send me a PM or an e-mail jo.jcat [a] gmail if you want the dogecoins.

• Locked thread