Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bum the Sad posted:

So as some one who loves the Age of Empires/Mythology games but was busy being an alcoholic graduating highschool when this came out. Is this worth getting? Me and my buddy have been enjoying the AoE/M rereleases. We like to co-op comp stomp.

I think you would like it. It's basically the Age of Empires formula taken to the next step and beyond. I always imagined it would be hard to go back to Age of Empires 2 after playing Rise of Nations since they look and feel so similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bum the Sad posted:

So as some one who loves the Age of Empires/Mythology games but was busy being an alcoholic graduating highschool when this came out. Is this worth getting? Me and my buddy have been enjoying the AoE/M rereleases. We like to co-op comp stomp.

RoN is the best comp-stop co-op RTS ever. I like AoM much more for 1v1, 2v2 games but for co-oping with a buddy RoN is tops. One major reason for this is the sheer number of options for gameplay. Set research to Very Slow and Expensive and you can have a 2-3 hour game with you and your friend vs. 4 cpus. Or you can set what age to start or finish in, or time limits, or no rush rules, all kinds of settings that let you play precisely the game you want to.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
My friend and I just bought it. Hope I wasn't steered wrong!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

skooma512 posted:

Just like old times.

Although I'm just about to finish 1491 by Charles C. Mann. This compels me to play a New World civ but it also makes me see just how many liberties games take with history. New World civs shouldn't have domestic animals or the wheel.

Basically: Muh immersions :qq:

Llamas, alpacas, guinea pigs, turkeys.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So me and my friend are having issues, we are both steam buddies and his name shows up as green in the chat channel. But when ever we create a friends only game we can't see each others game? We've resorted to just making public games and quickly joining. I even tried the chat commands /friends add mybuddy but it says his name doesn't match any player online even though he's in the channel.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This is today's daily Steam sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/287450/

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's half off on steam right now, I just got it. How actively are they patching this? It doesn't seem like it needs it in the same way the Age of ones did but it'd still be nice if it's supported.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

It's half off on steam right now, I just got it.

I bought it at full price two days ago :smith:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Koramei posted:

It's half off on steam right now, I just got it. How actively are they patching this? It doesn't seem like it needs it in the same way the Age of ones did but it'd still be nice if it's supported.

They seem to roll out a new patch every week or so. I think they have had 7 or so since it was released on steam, pretty good support.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
A friend and I are playing this a heap at the moment - both grabbed it during the recent price drop. We're really struggling actually finishing off enemies no matter how big our armies seem to be, is there a good 'army building for dummies' strat/guide we could have a look at?

I might try slowing the game speed down and sticking with a smaller age range just to make it more manageable, we both really dig the gunpowder/enlightenment age but it always seems to end in stalemates.

Game has definitely aged well, still feels fresh and fast paced.

Bum the Sad posted:

So me and my friend are having issues, we are both steam buddies and his name shows up as green in the chat channel. But when ever we create a friends only game we can't see each others game? We've resorted to just making public games and quickly joining. I even tried the chat commands /friends add mybuddy but it says his name doesn't match any player online even though he's in the channel.

This is from ages ago, but I always just do direct internet -> IP connect and it works fine.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

PTizzle posted:

A friend and I are playing this a heap at the moment - both grabbed it during the recent price drop. We're really struggling actually finishing off enemies no matter how big our armies seem to be, is there a good 'army building for dummies' strat/guide we could have a look at?

I might try slowing the game speed down and sticking with a smaller age range just to make it more manageable, we both really dig the gunpowder/enlightenment age but it always seems to end in stalemates.

I usually opt for large scale bomber spam to take out unit production buildings while the ground elements move in. I mean blot out the sky, Jimmy Doolittle is getting a ghost boner in the afterlife levels of bomber spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Same, with a few cruise missiles for taking out any SAM sites that bother my bombers. My only problem with this is that it means trading ground forces for bombers, but with enough bombers all I need is enough infantry to take an enemy city.

• Locked thread