Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

The Stanley Cup Finals are here, with the Los Angeles Kings playing the New York Rangers.

Schedule:

League Leaders:

:siren: Stickart's Playoff Pick'em:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635020&pagenumber=61#post430448397

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The last time the Rangers and Kings played each other in the playoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_KKCQTUwwI

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The New York Hockey Rangers are playing in the Stanley Cup for the second time in my life time.

I am so excited for this, I'm about to burst.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rangers are going to win it. No way a team from the west could beat them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This needs to go to seven so the Kings can play the full compliment of games possible to them and be too exhausted to compete in the 2014/15 season.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Go Kings. Maybe try to not stress me out so much this round? Please?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

McDragon posted:

Go Kings. Maybe try to not stress me out so much this round? Please?
Nope, they will. These playoffs are the correction for 16-4 in 2012.

It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the first one out of fatigue, even with the extra day of rest.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I think this will be an entertaining series to watch, and I'm not expecting an LA blowout. The reason why the Rangers have gotten this far (which NO ONE thought they would at the beginning of the playoffs), is that they've finally come together and are playing as a team now with emotion and grit. The Rangers in general do not dictate how a series is going to be played, that's usually done by the other team. What the Rangers are extremely good at is adapting to other teams' style of play. They do this by identifying their vulnerabilities and exploiting them. We saw this with the Philadelphia series by playing better against the boards and being more physical. We saw this with the Montreal series where the Rangers identified their speed as a huge advantage. This is why Kreider and Hagelin were so noticeable. The Rangers are also highly capable of shutting down the top-scorers. We saw this with G against the Flyers, Crosby/Malkin with the Pens, and Subban early on in the conference finals. Find the team's weakness, take advantage of it, and put up walls with your defense to shut down any opposition. The Rangers have a good defensive core, and they actually have good 4 lines on offense. How Brian Boyle's line is so effective boggles my mind. If Boyle scores a goal, just give him the CS trophy and have LA forfeit.

Furthermore, the defense of the Rangers has greatly improved and all 3 pairs are solid. In the Chicago/LA series, I noticed Kane always having extended puck-possession time below the faceoff dots, with the LA defenders bouncing off of him or not being aggressive enough. If it was a Chicago/NYR final, I could see McDonagh and the rest of the Rangers D effectively eliminating that part of Kane's game, where he can be very dangerous.

Ultimately, we'll have to see how the Rangers adapt to a team like LA.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Good Riddance Bob Cole

(please just retire ugh)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

Good Riddance Bob Cole

(please just retire ugh)

He's confirmed as coming back next year.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Interesting times on the schedule. I guess they know majority of people watching these games will be in the East coast? lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Continued from last thread, in regards to goalie fancy stats...

quote:

I think even strength save percentage is looked upon as a better indicator because short handed save percentage is considered more affected by the team? Or something

There's also Goals Saved Above Average, which shuffles things a bit (Like last year Schneider and Crawford down, Lundqvist and Bob up) but still has the guys with the best seasons near the top.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Hand Knit posted:

Okay I've talked to Ozma and the reign of Duro should begin shortly.
Please make him a temp mod during GDTs :pray:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Please make him a temp mod during GDTs :pray:

Agreed, also Paulocaust

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Interesting times on the schedule. I guess they know majority of people watching these games will be in the East coast? lol
The NHL always uses 8 EST as a start time, even when they had Vancouver in the finals. More of the population lives in the east in both countries, it really makes sense that you aren't having the games end at midnight for them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

Continued from last thread, in regards to goalie fancy stats...

There's also Goals Saved Above Average, which shuffles things a bit (Like last year Schneider and Crawford down, Lundqvist and Bob up) but still has the guys with the best seasons near the top.

GSAA is neat since it's just save percentage contextualized against how many shots a team allowed, but it actually tells us a little bit less about the goaltender themselves since it's introducing a factor that is completely determined by the team. It's most relevant for an MVP-type discussion, where you're more interested in who produced the most value rather than who was the best.

Even-strength save percentage is considered generally better than total save percentage because short-handed save percentage is super-erratic, and also because teams will spend pretty different amounts of time short-handed (which means that the SHSV% would have differing effects on overall numbers). However, when we're dealing with shorter periods of time, looking at overall save percentage is preferable because it gives us more to work with.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

The NHL always uses 8 EST as a start time, even when they had Vancouver in the finals. More of the population lives in the east in both countries, it really makes sense that you aren't having the games end at midnight for them.

Yea true and having a 10/11PM EST start time would just annoy a whole lot of people. Vancouver is one thing but let's be serious LA folks probably wont be too heartbroken about early start times for their home games.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Yea true and having a 10/11PM EST start time would just annoy a whole lot of people. Vancouver is one thing but let's be serious LA folks probably wont be too heartbroken about early start times for their home games.
The NBA usually bumped it up to 9EST when the Lakers were in the finals, but that's the loving Lakers. It's really not a big deal though. If you're going to the game, you're obviously going to make some plans to get there on time. If you're trying to get home/wherever to watch it, 6 is not really that much better than 5. Being a west coast fan, you're going to get screwed, especially if your team doesn't bring top tier ratings.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like it's a little easier to get off work early and catch the 5pm game than it is to stay up until 1am watching a game but that's just me

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I picked a good year to pay attention to hockey

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

I feel like it's a little easier to get off work early and catch the 5pm game than it is to stay up until 1am watching a game but that's just me

I had a good employer in 2011 and was allowed to leave just after 3:30PST each day so I could get downtown for the games I went to, but it was a nightmare. Anyone who has a rigid 9-5 would be in trouble. As someone who has spent larger portions of his life in both time zones, I've always felt that 8:30EST/5:30PST would be an acceptable compromise, but I guess that clashes with a lot of TV programming.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

I had a good employer in 2011 and was allowed to leave just after 3:30PST each day so I could get downtown for the games I went to, but it was a nightmare. Anyone who has a rigid 9-5 would be in trouble. As someone who has spent larger portions of his life in both time zones, I've always felt that 8:30EST/5:30PST would be an acceptable compromise, but I guess that clashes with a lot of TV programming.

Yeah true the LA area is crap for getting home if you're commuting by car and all that

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This series sounds like it's going to be a boring matchup and I don't know who to pull for. Plus, Nash vs. Carter. Oh God.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

As a Flyers fan this series is the worst, so gently caress both of these teams and gently caress these finals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

This series sounds like it's going to be a boring matchup and I don't know who to pull for. Plus, Nash vs. Carter. Oh God.

Root for Brassard and Dorsett, they seem likeable

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Highest scoring team in the playoffs versus the hottest not-injured goalie in the playoffs.

I think the Kings will win, but I'm hoping for NYR.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just gonna repost this from the Conference Finals thread because. If Tailored Sauce added a link for me or something to his OP I might toss him a few points. Let it be known I can be bought.

-- -- --

:siren: 3rd Round Pick'em Update! :siren:

Before the numbers - get your picks in now! Click here to do it, you lazy slobs. Pretty easy round! Anyone can play!

Note: I am implementing a slightly varied bonus round for the finals - a 5 point bonus for team/length, but also a :siren: 5 point bonus for correctly guessing the skater who scores the cup-winning goal. :siren:
Make sure you get your guess in if, as some have, you already have your pick in.

And onward:

We have two super geniuses this round! Spiteful president EvilJimmyCarter overcomes his fandom handicap to go an inspiring 2 for 2, including series length! A feat so nice, Rangers fans pull it twice as one Zodijackylite does the same.

The race has tightened up considerably. Evil and Zodj take advantage of perfect bonuses to rocket up the charts as lazerwolf and T-Bone suddenly have company despite solid rounds of their own. Dak02 has sneakily spare-changed his way into the running, too. This is much closer than it looked to be for a while. I am sitting precariously in 14th, 6 points away from both 6th and a 7-way tie for 29th. I expect everyone from 6-35 to roll over if they know what's good for them.

Also note Hand Knit is sitting in a paltry 18th which, according to a rarely-cited forum rule, means he must relinquish his role as mod to 17 superior hockey minds if things stay the same.

And finally, if you count weirdo JawKnee there are 5 habs fans in the top 15. Clearly this is our Stanley Cup.

SAS posted:

T-Bone 53
EvilJimmyCarter 52
lazerwolf 50
Zodijackylite 50
Dak02 48
Duro 41
Zat 40
Pancakes by Mail 39
whatis 39
menthol moose 38
-10-
Xtanstic 38
OldSenileGuy 37
Jaw Knee 36
Stickarts 36
HOW COULD YOU 35
astr0man 34
CBJSprague24 34
darkwolf220 34
Hand Knit 34
mono 34
-20-
Veskit 34
Zamboni Jesus 34
CDX 32
Drunk Canuck 32
fancy stats 32
Mind_Taker 32
mennoknight 31
Thufir 31
Twin Cinema 31
DickBoat 30
-30-
Flyinglemur 30
JayMax 30
Rutkowski 30
Stanos 30
ThinkTank 30
Bilirubin 28
Blackbelt Bobman 28
ffoecaf 28
Hockles 28
Karnegal 28
-40-
MononcQc 28
SporkofTruth 28
fits 27
.Spec 26
HookShot 26
Infidel Castro 26
Knowlue 26
Pleads 26
revtoiletduck 26
Topoisomerase 26
-50-
HootTheOwl 24
kalensc 24
Pierre McGuire 24
Sadmantongue 24
wonderllama 24
a false 22
deafmute 22
Jordan7hm 22
Kilza 22
Diet Crack 20
-60-
INSPECTAH DECK 20
MrCodeDude 20
Rene Rancourt 20
ShyftedOne 20
Technetium 20
EVGA Longoria 19
Guignol 18
Naet 18
NJD2005 18
Shoeonhead22 18
-70-
The Angry Bum 18
THE MACHO MAN 18
Austrian mook 16
BOXC 16
Chad Sexington 16
Furnaceface 16
Grimby 16
ist 16
AAB 14
deadEd 14
-80-
Jedimastafez 14
Shinjobi 14
tofes 14
aejix 12
goldrush 12
Kreez 12
mutations 12
Rotten Cookies 12
VJeff 12
yellow car 12
-90-
Filthee Fingas 10
marsisol 10
mcvey 10
Shadow Ninja 64 10
SURPRISE WITNESS 10
Buane 8
Daeno 8
double sulk 8
Laderhan 8
marioinblack 8
-100-
flakeloaf 6
Habibi 6
Largo LaForge 6
Levitate 6
Porrima 6
RC Cola 6
Tailored Sauce 6
Verviticus 6
Wrax 6
johnfw50 4
-110-
Serisothikos 4
stab 4
Zyla 4
Kilonum 2
Martytoof 2
Sharks Eat Bear 2

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 2, 2014

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Yea I was thinking about the majority of people in LA commute by car so that must suck trying to get to these games. Even if they made a game early in NY it would be 99% mass transit getting to the game and not a big deal at all.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ThinkTank posted:

He's confirmed as coming back next year.

I know :sigh:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Stickarts posted:

Just gonna repost this from the Conference Finals thread because. If Tailored Sauce added a link for me or something to his OP I might toss him a few points. Let it be known I can be bought.

Threw a link in the OP.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Montreal has steadily gotten better in the last few years, there was a zero percent chance Therrien wasn't coming back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So who are the leading Conn Smythe candidates for each team?

LAK: Kopitar, Doughty, Williams
NYR: Lundqvist, McDonaugh, St. Louis

Something like that?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Something like that?

I'd add Gabbo to the LAK list since he's leading the playoffs and has outscored Gretzky in the first LA run already.

Edit: And if Gaborik murders New York you KNOW the sportswriters are gonna love that story.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 2, 2014

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

double sulk posted:

As a Flyers fan this series is the worst, so gently caress both of these teams and gently caress these finals.

Agreed. This is the worst finals matchup in nearly 2 years. :reject:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

Root for Brassard and Dorsett, they seem likeable

Brass, Dors, Moore, and Gaborik are all (still) cool in my book, so I'll have to decide who I like more. I really liked Dorsett in Columbus and hated to see him moved when the Gaborik deal happened.

Plus, as I said in the other N/V thread, Nash not wanting out means no Dubi or Arty in Columbus, and I take that trade 7 days a week.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

double sulk posted:

Bye sulk!

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
I don't really give a poo poo about either team, so

go good hockey games! don't be uninteresting hockey!

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

ThinkTank posted:

Something like that?

NYR's list is realistically one player long. I think Lundqvist's odds of winning the Smythe if his team loses are pretty good.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CBJSprague24 posted:

Plus, as I said in the other N/V thread, Nash not wanting out means no Dubi or Arty in Columbus, and I take that trade 7 days a week.

About that, can we have them back please? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Carter is also in play for the Kings, in the event that he leads them in scoring.

Robo-Pope posted:

NYR's list is realistically one player long. I think Lundqvist's odds of winning the Smythe if his team loses are pretty good.
I don't see it. He's obviously having a great postseason but it's not some goaltending display for the ages, and they usually do that in the absence of worthy candidates from the other team which is not the case this year.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread