Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
larkko
Oct 4, 2008

CDX posted:

He shoved a ref multiple times and basically butt ended him. It's 10 games by the book. How is that egregious now?
Yeah, pretty much this. Since the bottom line is that you do not - in any circumstance - shove the refs, there really isn't any room for interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Also feel there'd be a lot less issue with it being 6 games from the start rather than being 10 and then being reduced to 6 for no reason.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Joose Caboose posted:

Also feel there'd be a lot less issue with it being 6 games from the start rather than being 10 and then being reduced to 6 for no reason.

Yeah, this is pretty much the NHL's fault they look bad here. If the rulebook had said 6 games from the outset I wouldn't have any issue with the length, it's just them lowering the suspension on a lovely player for no discernible reason other than "well maybe they'll play him now, i guess"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Since when have the internal workings of the NHL even made the slightest bit of sense?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
it's not really about the NHL being literal idiots about their own rulebook so much as 10 games not being egregious because hey, everyone agreed to that when it was put in the rulebook. Maybe they should've put a lifetime ban in for punching a ref, no one would've noticed until right now if they had

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I don't get how Carbomb had it dropped to 6 either. If the book says 10 it's 10. Why bother having the automatic 10 if it's subject to review.

I don't know if he sees the ice again even once he's done being suspended. AV made some comments about Carcillo's future with the organization, if I remember right. Dunno if he'll want to put him in, no matter how much grit or grind or toughness they may need against LAK.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't get why anyone really gives a poo poo. I haven't seen people argue this fiercely over suspensions from dangerous hits.Ya'll just seem to be eager to bitch about the NHL

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

I don't get why anyone really gives a poo poo. I haven't seen people argue this fiercely over suspensions from dangerous hits.Ya'll just seem to be eager to bitch about the NHL

uhhh you haven't?

I mean I guess usually it's because there's general agreement on "suspend him longer, also the NHL sucks," but that's more or less what's happening here

And what's wrong with bitching about the NHL when its suspension system is literally non-functional, anyway

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm pretty sure he scored 5 if you're talking about the game vs MIN.

Oh poo poo yeah. 5 Goals.

I did remember him as being a Rangers killer and I did know he always scored on them. 5 friggen goals in one game is amazing though.

Was not surprised when Sather went after Gaborik.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It's because for generations the NHL was a borderline mockery precisely because it allowed events like this to go unpunished. I don't like when my favourite sport reveals itself to be irredeemably bush. Why don't we have players climbing into the stands to confront fans again? The NHL is dumb, hypocritical, and does not give a flying gently caress about safety more than what saves them from public opinion. I can't wait for that concussion lawsuit that started to pick up steam.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The Kings are taking the whole "give the Rangers nothing" thing a little bit too far

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Stickarts posted:

It's because for generations the NHL was a borderline mockery precisely because it allowed events like this to go unpunished. I don't like when my favourite sport reveals itself to be irredeemably bush. Why don't we have players climbing into the stands to confront fans again? The NHL is dumb, hypocritical, and does not give a flying gently caress about safety more than what saves them from public opinion. I can't wait for that concussion lawsuit that started to pick up steam.

This is true of every loving sport, it's not limited to the NHL.

The NFL actively interfered with scientific research on concussions because they didn't want to be assed (or liable) to deal with the fact that their sport causes brain damage among its players. Not to mention they're more concerned about fining players for social media infractions or not wearing the "correct brand of clothing" than they are about seriously dealing with dangerous hits.

e: I just get annoyed when people act like the NHL is some sideshow compared to other sports leagues that are held up on this pedestal of greatness. They're all run by rich white guys who would prefer to make as much money as possible and hardly give a gently caress about anything else that goes on unless they're forced to.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

deafmute posted:

The Kings are taking the whole "give the Rangers nothing" thing a little bit too far

Kings "Fans" dot jaypeg

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Speaking of borderline mockeries, don't forget to get your picks in for the final round of the :siren: SAS NHL PICK'EM CHALLENGE! :siren: I will be drawing a name out of a hat for a participation award from all those who joined! So Jesus Price get in!

Here is a link for you to click: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761&pagenumber=12#lastpost

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Levitate posted:

This is true of every loving sport, it's not limited to the NHL.

The NFL actively interfered with scientific research on concussions because they didn't want to be assed (or liable) to deal with the fact that their sport causes brain damage among its players. Not to mention they're more concerned about fining players for social media infractions or not wearing the "correct brand of clothing" than they are about seriously dealing with dangerous hits.

e: I just get annoyed when people act like the NHL is some sideshow compared to other sports leagues that are held up on this pedestal of greatness. They're all run by rich white guys who would prefer to make as much money as possible and hardly give a gently caress about anything else that goes on unless they're forced to.

The NHL is/was a sideshow compared to other sports. It has a history that is undeniably more violent. Bench clearing brawls were common place, so was hitting refs, so was confronting fans. I bet there was a player with a fractured skull from sticks pretty much every year from 1950-1975 because the NHL didn't give a gently caress. It was a serious, serious problem. Just because other sports can be lovely and bush doesn't make the NHL not the bush king.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Stickarts posted:

The NHL is/was a sideshow compared to other sports. It has a history that is undeniably more violent. Bench clearing brawls were common place, so was hitting refs, so was confronting fans. I bet there was a player with a fractured skull from sticks pretty much every year from 1950-1975 because the NHL didn't give a gently caress. It was a serious, serious problem. Just because other sports can be lovely and bush doesn't make the NHL not the bush king.

Sorry dude but you need to read a bit more about the NFL and concussions. Wayyyyyyyyy worse IMO.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Sorry dude but you need to read a bit more about the NFL and concussions. Wayyyyyyyyy worse IMO.

I think his point is that for a long period of time, no one was slimier than the NHL. Don't put wings and a halo on the pig quite yet.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Can it be 8pm please?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea my point wasn't specifically regarding brain injury - I know all about the NFL's concussion lawsuit. That level/purposefulness of malfeasance is like the opposite of bush, anyway. Moving on.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

THERE IS STANLEY CUP HOCKEY TONIGHT AHHHHH

My team is playing in this Stanley Cup game, and I'm actually going to be old enough to remember it this time.

This is going to be a great moment :3:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm actually going to get to watch the games live this time. :dance:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zucc getting newspaper covers in Norway :3:

https://twitter.com/OlaStenberg/status/474171733315162112

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My boss did me a "favor" and gave me the later shift for today. Hooray, more money. Boo on probably missing out on some hockey.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

First Norwegian to play in a Stanley Cup final, I believe!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The stakes have never been lower :effort:

quote:

If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said he will send Gov. Jerry Brown a "Taste of NY Gift Basket," which will include Gianelli Hot Italian Sausage from Onondaga County and red velvet cupcakes from Make my Cake in Harlem.

He also will part with a "Hat Trick" hockey puck commemorating New York having three on-time budgets in a row.

If the Rangers win, Brown will send Cuomo Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes -- "lightly salted" -- and a copy of the book, "California: A History."

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

deafmute posted:

I mean I know no one is giving the Rangers a chance but drat let us enjoy something!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Joke's on Brown, Sandra Lee is making the gift basket.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Saw this yesterday and thought it was the dumbest thing ever. At least the NY basket sounds tasty. Brown will wake up in the morning, take a long pull from his bong, and spend the morning relaxing with some Italian snacks.

One of Cuomo's aides will be given the rice cakes and book and both will leave the building by way of the garbage pickup.

They could at least have bet putting up the other state's flag at the capitol or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it doesn't embarrass the entire city, its people and history like putting a Habs flag up in Boston does then it's bullshit.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Thankfully Brown isn't playing into stereotypes about Californians being effete liberal wimps by sending organic rice cakes if the Kings win.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Aphrodite posted:

If it doesn't embarrass the entire city, its people and history like putting a Habs flag up in Boston does then it's bullshit.

If LA loses, the LAPD have to start another race war in their city. If NY loses, TWA Flight 800 pt II.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Rotten Cookies posted:

If LA loses, the LAPD have to start another race war in their city. If NY loses, TWA Flight 800 pt II.

The loser has to give the winning town their worst sports team. NY gets the Kiss, or LA gets the Mets.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Casualty posted:

The loser has to give the winning town their worst sports team. NY gets the Kiss, or LA gets the Mets.

I would straight up trade the Jets for the Kiss. Send the Jets to the AFL where they belong and get those :krad: Kiss uniforms the national exposure they so deserve.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I read this and can only think "holy poo poo gently caress you Martin Madden"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/the-incredible-saga-of-how-rangers-lucked-upon-lundqvist/

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

EVGA Longoria posted:

I would straight up trade the Jets for the Kiss. Send the Jets to the AFL where they belong and get those :krad: Kiss uniforms the national exposure they so deserve.

No, you just get the Kiss. Figure out what to do with your stupid Jets :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Casualty posted:

NY gets the Kiss

How does Chivas miss the hook in your scenario?

Because you're using specifically worst rather than least good and after MLS compulsory-bought-out Vergara Chivas is merely aggressively mediocre rather than a latino supremacist reserve side for Guadalajara?

Also don't be so hasty, we COULD use the Jets to troll everyone.

Including LA, given a name change.

"Introducing your Los Angeles~~~~~ Oilers!"

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Levitate posted:

I read this and can only think "holy poo poo gently caress you Martin Madden"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/the-incredible-saga-of-how-rangers-lucked-upon-lundqvist/

Please don't read the post

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ZeeBoi posted:

Please don't read the post

It's actually a decent article about how the Rangers selected Lundqvist

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Better NY tabloid story. The guy who played Bobby Granger now works for WWE

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/granger-fiction-bobby-recalls-run-ny-rangers-superfan-article-1.1815551

Also, a preemptive NY gets whatever NFL team LA gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fine by me, but you actually need to impose some stakes on us for if you win.

Otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

• Locked thread