Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Incombibulator posted:

2) If you have either "Failed to verify RSA signature of pak header: data\objects300i.pak" or "Failed to verify signature of pak header:data\objectscharacters.pak", this is caused by incomplete/bad patching and altered .pak files. You'll need to re-download the entire client to fix this issue.

Sauce -> https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/270962/1-1-4-publish-to-live-at-11am-cdt-4pm-gmt/p1

Yeah gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah gently caress that
Wait, don't we have to re-download everything each patch anyway?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Taerkar posted:

It's pretty much necessary with the civil code. If you don't fight tooth and nail to protect your stuff you're pretty much surrendering it.

Or just go by the merits of what you produce.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Informed Consent posted:

Wait, don't we have to re-download everything each patch anyway?

I dunno, I bought it a long time ago, ran around then shot rocks and fast forward to now

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to stop by earlier, I've been totally swamped with work, research, attorneys etc

Also, my 2nd Star Citizen article was pushed to Mon to give legal the chance to review a last minute revision. So I had to deal with that.

Anyway, as you guys who have followed my industry shenanigans for many years now, when I wrote the 1st article, I knew that I was going to get attacked by a new generation of people who have no clue who I am. Those are the people who go around taking all kinds of bits and pieces from the Internet, and without any context (or humor), take them as fact. Which is how the Gaming Urban Legend article came about. Legal had a field day with that one; but I did get to cuss a lot in there. I had a quota to meet, you see. :)

Anyway, when you guys read the new article, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or whatever, please let me know.

ps: I'm an old fart now, so I probably can't keep up with all the wit, and whatnot. So go easy on me :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Will I be able to conduct elaborate costumed space orgies in my custom sex hangars

[edit] oh hi derek smart, please make a game where I can do the above

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I would like to formally welcome Doctor Smart back to Somethingawful.com and to Star Citizen discussion herein. Welcome Doctor Smart.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I think it's important to ask Mr. Smart the question we've all had on our minds.

Good sir, just how smart, is Derek Smart?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
HE IS RISEN

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

ps: I'm an old fart now, so I probably can't keep up with all the wit, and whatnot. So go easy on me :)

Hey Derek, we have this thread and a few old closed ones that have followed every twist and turn in the epic development story that is Star Citizen so if there's any background to events you want we can probably provide it (with screenshots).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Burn it down for us please!

God has called you to be His exterminating angel Dr Smart!

Do the needful!

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 11, 2015

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Welp, it happened. Ground floor.

D_Smart: Though the article won't be released until Monday, can you give a 1-2 sentence synopsis?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad

glad of this

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

hakimashou posted:

HE IS RISEN

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

:neckbeard: Hi DEREK!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh good, history in the making. :munch:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You still support your older products right?

Can you give me a hand with my copy of Desktop Commander?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to stop by earlier, I've been totally swamped with work, research, attorneys etc

Also, my 2nd Star Citizen article was pushed to Mon to give legal the chance to review a last minute revision. So I had to deal with that.

Anyway, as you guys who have followed my industry shenanigans for many years now, when I wrote the 1st article, I knew that I was going to get attacked by a new generation of people who have no clue who I am. Those are the people who go around taking all kinds of bits and pieces from the Internet, and without any context (or humor), take them as fact. Which is how the Gaming Urban Legend article came about. Legal had a field day with that one; but I did get to cuss a lot in there. I had a quota to meet, you see. :)

Anyway, when you guys read the new article, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or whatever, please let me know.

If it's any consolation I have the same expectations of you that I do of Star Citizen.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Catching up and holy loving christ thread is delivering right now.

Hi Derek, nothing less than scorched earth will satisfy us with the hype on Article 2. Good luck, lurk more.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You realize if you do cast star citizen into Gehenna, that will mean that Chris Roberts is the false prophet and that you are Space Christ right?

Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Hi Derek! Can't wait to read that new article. I'm following this just for the drama tbh, but I hope it all goes well for you!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eonwe posted:

im glad

glad of this

Good times are coming

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see you back on SA Mr Smart! Hopefully we can all enjoy the farce that is Star Citizen burning down together :)

Also for the record, I tried out Universal Combat for the first time just 2 days ago, and it's actually pretty cool. Yeah it's a bit rough around the edges, but I can tell it is supposed to be one of those super nerdy simulations (like those detailed jet fighter or tank sims, or those German work games) and not an arcade space shooter like Tie Fighter. Not something I would have been interested in when it came out, but awesome now that I can appreciate the detail. Keep up the good work!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

D_Smart posted:

I'm really curious - why do you need a legal team to review an article? Isn't that not only costly, but a bit bumptious?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wanna play Universal Combat so bad right now.

Derek are you doing any work on UC, such as updates or anything of the sort.

hakimashou posted:

HE IS RISEN

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iGestalt posted:

I'm really curious - why do you need a legal team to review an article? Isn't that not only costly, but a bit bumptious?

Probably not all that costly just to review an article. What is costly are defamation or libel or slander suites or whatever.

Hi Derek Smart I enjoyed your games a lot once I figured out wtf I was doing!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it's any consolation I have the same expectations of you that I do of Star Citizen.

To be fair Arena Commander is more playable and fun than anything Derek Smart has ever made

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Hey Derek, we have this thread and a few old closed ones that have followed every twist and turn in the epic development story that is Star Citizen so if there's any background to events you want we can probably provide it (with screenshots).

Thanks. And now that you mention it, I would like the author of this post, to please contact (dsmart at 3000ad dot com) me. I need to request his permission to excerpt some of that stuff there for a 3rd article that I am working on, and which will hit later this month.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Derek Smart. DEREK SMART. DEREK SMART!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

iGestalt posted:

It's because if there's any part of it that can be interpreted as defamation or something Derek Smart can get counter-sued or something.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Hey guys,

If you sucked your own dick any more you'd turn inside out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

PS Do you got dis? I am unsure if you got dis.

Can you please remove those. They are already a part of the 2nd article. Plus, they were in a closed Facebook thread, which some friend-of-friend screencapped and made public. It was private, not public - but you will still be able to read some of that stuff in the second article. Thanks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Derek Smart is the Walt Gisnep of videogames.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to need you to write a vitriolic three post long response to each post in this thread critical of your lovely games. tia

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

D_Smart posted:

Hey guys,

Would you rather drink bleach or eat shitpuddin?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Can you please remove those. They are already a part of the 2nd article. Plus, they were in a closed Facebook thread, which some friend-of-friend screencapped and made public. It was private, not public - but you will still be able to read some of that stuff in the second article. Thanks.
Lol

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Only if you record a wave file of you saying "Welcome to Sol Sector, Goonrathi."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Derek Smart. DEREK SMART. DEREK SMART!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread