Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fredrik1 posted:

You aren't gonna get mouse precision out of it.
Judging from the pace of combat in Star Citizen, you might possibly get a neck injury though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Have you put on your special helmet?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Is that in dog years?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you spend extra months polishing your pre-alpha before release, you don't get to call it pre-alpha any more surely?

I thought the whole point of the wait was because they wanted to release something closer to an actual game?

Widestancer posted:

So is this now a pre-alpha instead of a demo

I'm having trouble keeping track
Yeah, you and me both.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Edit: The Stardrive thread actually had people telling the developer to go gently caress himself to his face (he had an account here and was active in thread) before it was closed by a mod. It never returned.
Man, I'm sorry I missed that. Would've been quite cathartic.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elite's engine is 100% in house as far as I know, it's called Cobra.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

gently caress me, Chris Roberts defense force ACTIVATE!

Rastor posted:

I realize Gibbis thinks they've discovered some new awful thing, but that pledge was there literally since the beginning, a result of the technicalities of converting Kickstarter pledges into the system on the RSI website. Many Kickstarters ended up with an extra $5 ship skin and they made the Futurama reference. I expect most backers traded it in for the $5 store credit and I doubt many bought it otherwise, since they've never said anything about what it might look like.
Roberts hasn't shut up yet, ergo no one bought that. :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

drunkill posted:

RIP Mike Morlan:
What a strange thing to say... unless you have insider info?

Is Roberts sending a kill squad to punish his disloyalty? :ohdear:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Octopode posted:

In short: stop focusing on physics complexity, it isn't the issue. Hair-brained programmers leaving some of the ship data out of client updates to the server is.
It might be hair brained programmers leaving some ship data out of client updates. Or that data might be being left out for some other reason, like I don't know... network performance?

If the simulation is at a level of granularity where clients can't hope to make accurate predictions without having complete data (for example, if they have to know when and how every single loving thruster on every single ship is being fired), then even a single dropped packet means they can be way off.

If you abstract most of that stuff away, it's easier to extrapolate, and thus easier to compensate for the occasional losses of data. So it absolutely is the complexity that's causing the issue here. Whether they can eventually make it work or not is another thing, maybe they can, but don't try to hand wave that poo poo away.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Octopode posted:

If it was a matter of packet loss causing such issues, they should have popped up, at least some of the time, when just flying without other variables in play (since network performance should average out to be roughly the same), but they did not. There's just not much evidence to point to a network congestion issue or network performance being the main culprit here.
Right I see. I haven't been following this too closely, since as time went on SC looked less and less interesting to me, so I'll take your word for it.

Might buy the game in 2024, when they've finally ironed all this crap out. The level of verisimilitude and detail does still appeal to the nerd in me, even if a lot of the other stuff doesn't.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ardlen posted:

The dogtags are personalized to your citizen number, so there really shouldn't be a secondary market for them.
There really shouldn't be a secondary market for fake spaceship insurance either...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DasKuend posted:

No your best ivestement ever could have been buying gold for 500k € (real money) because then you would be a multimillionair and wouldnt have to go bat poo poo insane about making 100$ (no real money) profit like a lot of people.
I'm pretty sure US dollars are still real money.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DasKuend posted:

Btw can someone explain me that bitcoin thingy? What equation? do you have to solve?
I think it's something really hard, like the 26 times tables or something.

That's why there are only 3 bitcoins, true story.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Krishek posted:

The way I see it there are as many reasons to pledge as there are not to pledge.
No there aren't.

The game is funded beyond their wildest dreams already. If you stopped giving them money, they might actually feel an incentive to finish the game, instead of pouring man hours into producing more concept art for retards to buy.

Edit: less dickish. Welcome to the forums.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 2, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

New Letter. No more stretch goals, now we're deciding what feature is a priority.
"with the goal to be able to double down on development wherever it’s possible to do so. If we need more artists to produce additional ships, we’d like to be able to hire them. Or if we need more engineers to get a head start on some longer term technical issue before it blocks other parts of development, we want that option!"

Sorely tempted to post my copy of Mythical Man Month to the CIG offices.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Galdarion posted:

SC is[...]easy to critizise
Correct. :mmmhmm:

(sorry thread, couldn't resist)

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 11, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Careful, they charge extra if there's floaters.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

You...you just made the rover sound hella fun.

Croberts this is a lawyer. Hire this person.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say they've already got more than enough ideas guys...

That's my gut feeling anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

I am remembering a game like this. Six wheeler, side-scroller, jumping up and down, on the moon, shooting things. Atari or Colecovision? That era.
Moon Patrol!

By the same guys who made R-Type.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Courthouse posted:

And in only :laffo: two weeks™!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

You guys are in trouble now!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

If your pocket is hurting, another option is, even if they do show you a rendering of a spaceship on the internet, to not give them hundreds of dollars so you can look at the internet spaceship from different angles.
Woah there, lets not get carried away.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It'd be like a cross between Silent Hunter and Kerbal Space Program.

I'd play the poo poo out of that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You paid :10bux: so you could defend Chris Roberts' honour on an internet forum?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Octopode posted:

I thought Elite was the one with triangles for ships, though?
Are triangles an upgrade or a downgrade from wedges?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Barnsy posted:

Does anyone who speaks computer talk know how difficult double precision is to implement, and what the hell it means in the first place?
Find and replace float to double.

Fin.

I hope that cheque's in the post Chris!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Precision and accuracy aren't the same thing! :science:

What kind of loving nerds are you guys?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

double riveting posted:

i guess that's something.
vvvv
It would be if Star Wars Galaxies hadn't done it already, 10 years ago.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bossfight posted:

I really wish people would stop acting like this is relevant. Yeah Galaxies did some stuff, but did it do the stuff right? Deep thoughts.
Who cares if it did it right, it still did it. Is the fact that Elite's engine already uses double precision numbers not relevant to Star Citizen being first to do that either?

Or is Star Citizen the only game that counts, so it gets to be "super ambitious, so unique!" no matter what?

When this stuff is used to justify the pace and quality of development, it's perfectly relevant to bring up the fact that other people actually have done similar things already.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hybridfusion posted:

It captured the spirit of Top Gear better than I ever expected. The wording was spot on.
Disagree. It wasn't nearly racist enough to give the authentic Clarkson experience.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AP posted:

The guy at CIG who said "Well I guess we could sell new ships for crazy amounts like $350 if we added lti to them" is getting a bonus this month.
So that's what, 30 new backers... 100,000 loving dollars. Keep pumping those whales Roberts!

At what point does this become exploitation of the mentally ill?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good point. So how does Elite do it?
You can use either a leading or trailing gun sight.

This is a video from the alpha, but it's still pertinent. The lead indicator is really faint here for some reason, but you know how those work anyway... It's the second mode that's more relevant to your interest (I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFG_I61Vne8

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 6, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bootcha posted:

"What Would WoW Do?"

The mantra of every MMO development.
Yeah, that's why they're all poo poo now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, walked straight into that one didn't I.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chocobo posted:

No laughing matter
What?

Either Roberts is laundering money for his coke dealer, or people really are stupid enough to pay $600 for a picture of a spaceship.

In what world is either (or even both!) of those things not loving hilarious?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 13, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Also they plan on releasing the actual game in a months time :captainpop:
They're having a party in a months time, they've said gently caress all about releasing anything.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

You're right, the party is probably for no good reason at all :haw:
They're having a party to market the game and reward backers who pledged £750 or more, anything else is just pie in the sky speculation.

They're not even out of the beta phase yet, there's tons of features still to go in, and there's a gamma phase scheduled after that. I can't see it happening at all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Courthouse posted:

They did say it was going to be out early 2014 back in 2012, and no one has been giving them much poo poo for it so I don't think delaying a bit more would hurt much.
No one's been giving them poo poo because apart from that single wildly optimistic deadline given during the kickstarter, they've hit pretty much every single date they've set since. I think their biggest ever delay has been a shocking 6 hours or something.

Whether they're supremely capable of getting poo poo done, or they just don't like giving out dates until they're 100% sure (or some combination thereof) doesn't matter. Considering it's an industry norm to constantly poo poo out unrealistic deadlines, their honesty's been a refreshing change.

They've built up a decent store of goodwill this year, with me at least, and I can't be the only one.

e: brevity.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 19, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gerbil_Pen posted:

You've got your games crossed. Or should I say, transversed?
Hurr.

You'd think the phrases "capable of getting things done" and "not giving out dates until they're sure" would've tipped him off.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bitter Beard posted:

Having played both games as they were released back in the day, they were always different approaches to flight mechanics and Chris Robert's games always came down to being a lot more fun because of the way you flew your ships.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is entirely subjective.

I personally didn't think the gameplay of the Wing Commander games was all that good, and that lots of people are looking back with a huge pair of rosey specs. I understand that makes me a bit of a pariah round these parts, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The movement isn't one to one, you can set the ratio in their software. Also, a small deadzone will eliminate any shake... although using it becomes so natural you barely notice things like that anyway.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say it's incredibly loving useful. In Elite, I'd miss it way more than a HOTAS (I know because I sent my piece of poo poo x55 back... 3 times!).

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread