Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
Had some sound issues (no sound when getting hit ? no gatling firing sound) and a disconnect (in singleplayer) but otherwise seems to run good.

Mouse controle is pretty lovely and i need to get a joystick asap. Good stuff.

what pisses me off most so far is that their uncoupled flight mode. Which just means that you can look around but the flightcomputer always forces you back on the vector you where on when you enabled that mode. To be of any use you have to spam that poo poo on and off.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The point of decoupled mode is to let you do crazy poo poo like travel along one vector while your nose is pointed in another. Say, flipping around in place to empty your guns into the rear end in a top hat on your 6.

the Problem with it right now is, that it doesnt let you really change the vector you are on while in decoupled mode. Sucks, but as with the arcady gameplay in general i have have hopes for improvement.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Furism posted:

No. But I suspect F2P for the Persistent Universe and a Season Pass thing for Squadron 42.

nah, full price game you gotta buy with PU and Squadron 42 in it.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

I read in an article in the gamestar (beware of german language: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/artikel/star_citizen,48820,3056240.html ) that chris roberts biggest worry is the development of the new netcode because he has no experience there.

quote:

Deswegen ist derzeit das zweite Cloud-Imperium-Team in Austin damit befasst, eine völlig neue Netzwerksoftware zu schreiben, die für ihre Berechnungen auf eine ganze Serverfarm zurückgreifen kann. Es ist dieser Teil der Entwicklung, der Chris Roberts als einziger ein wenig Sorgen macht, sagt er, weil er sich darin selbst noch nicht so gut auskennt.

I share that and my guess is that netcode/multiplayer is where the game breaks or makes it.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

what makes me so far not really play this game is the absolute clusterfuck that calls itself UI. It's impossible to navigate in the UI and change stuff when there is 0 explanation and nothing works. At this point i guess i am experiencing a bug because i saw youtube videos of at least a bit of functionality in the UI. Also not having a proper joystick and mouse control which i dont like.

Radar symbols are way to big and lacking any kind of asteriod or building indication.

I really hate the decoupled mode because it is not what i hoped for but is sooo close. What i am talking about is that in decoupled mode you can strafe and influence your direction of movement by firing thrusters, but your are all the time forced back on the movement vector your where on while entering decoupled mode. WTF really. I am pretty sensitive here i guess, because a decoupled mode without that forced vector would be pretty much the flight model of a pretty unkown Space MMO from 2001 called Jumpgate and it was the best space game i have ever played. The offical thing shut down already but there are some russians hosting a server which captures the old game. Beware of Ugly graphics: http://jumpgate-tri.org/

Back to SC, while also the ships turn too fast and accelerate/decelerate too fast for my taste, these are all things that can be tweaked.

So far so good.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

After reading that IFCS post i just need one thing ... As much control over this as possible.
Looks like you could build your own "flight model" in their space physics model.

daaamn... gimme more.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Wulfling posted:

They just posted a video up, interviewing a Tony Zurovec, who is going to be leading the PU development team in Austin. Not watched it yet, but maybe someone will recognize the name. I sure don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dL3nrrj2ZA

Sounds like a good guy.

He thinks the scope of the game is crazy. Worked at Origins on the Ultima Games and then made Crusader. Didn't like publisher loving around his work and made financial analysis trading software instead and has general interest in economic theory. Chris Roberts picked him up to direct the PU for him including the economic system where his former work will come in handy. Balance and consequences are important for him.
Playes BF:DC and Starcraft 2.

was the stuff that stuck in my mind.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

A good poster posted:

Was everyone who got a multiplayer pass given a trainer Hornet if they didn't have one before?

Nope

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

i bet they already spend the orignally budgeted 21-23 million.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Dreams are very real and when u can buy them some will.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

it really is ... people buying multiple pledge packages to get multiple ships on kickstarter made them realize how to milk the crowd best.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

also the stats will change ∓50% at least...

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh I'm not saying it'll stop their money flow. But it might eat a million or two, and that is enough to make the money counting department say no.

^^The reason to not play on the official servers is so you don't have to deal with official progression balance (which is very likely to be skewed heavily towards pay-not-to-grind) and not have to play in the same universe as the Brown Sea.

Yeah... today i visited the brown sea. the first and only thread i opened was debating that 1 week of gaming for a constellation, like cr suggestedn in an interview, was much to short and should be more like months.

It hurt too much and i had to flee.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

BitBasher posted:

The fact that yaw can stand a ton more force than pitch seems extremely odd.

should be the other way around ... i guess its a bug.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

I hate that cr put out another big sale that is anounced with

quote:

Sales like this are what keeps Star Citizen funded; the revenue we take from selling ships at different stages in the pipeline gets turned right back into the game

sounds to me like "we burn all the cash we can get and wee need more so have some LTI"

and i hate me even more to thinking about just another shiny ... no!

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

u guys talk like this broken and for me not fun at all techdemo is whats supposed to be the game ?

let the money spergs have some privilege now before they realize that in the final game the money they spend won't bring them more than a headstart for the gotte get em all crowd.

judgement day comes when they launch some kind of PU for me.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Broccoli Cat posted:

I'll bet that those numbers are subject to the same standards of veracity the government gives to their economic numbers, as far as the redefinition of common terms goes...

For example, I melt a bunch of ships and buy some loving other ship, CIG records another $350 coming in.

CR gets to sell his fool-proof genius spergfunding system that has garnered X dollars

i wonder that too ...

also how much of that they really have left ?

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

imperialparadox posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining anything to be fun besides flying and manning a turret (and shooting dudes as a space-marine).

there are a lot of germans backing this game... you maybe know what they like to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJquZjtN0B4

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

are you really talking about a different camera angle as "feature" ?

what we see is what they created probably from the start since when u want to walk in ships they better look good inside. Why do it quick and dirty first to have to try to fix it later? To be honest that would be something to poo poo about... not the other way around.

pretty sure actually that cr tried to show in some first videos of ac how the pilot moves in his chair.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 10, 2014

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

When i read about the austin team getting axed it makes sense that at their citizencon the austin team was the last to get air time... while they maintained the descending order of importance for the rest of them.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Bought elite and traded myself to some ships and shot some guys.

To be honest the traveling System they have was the best thing there. But after the inital excitement i did not touch it again. Feels dead and meaningless.

Entertainment wise sc gave me more already.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

bossfight posted:

This place is not a hugbox anymore, but if we are simply putting down anyone who maintains hope that the game is not actually a scam we are not any better than the pubbies in the brown sea, we're just the opposite of them.

what ?

i thought thats the goal.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Octopode posted:

Sneak peek of the Herald from today's Reverse the Verse livestream:

to be honest this looks like an wh40k orc ship assmebled together from various parts they took from other ... places and molded it into this.

not sure if i like it or not, yet.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 30, 2014

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

i hate those buttons ...

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

gently caress sake, guys.

get some self control and wait to get that stuff ingame.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Barnsy posted:

Soooo the FPS module looks pretty cool.

That said, if this is a realistic shooter with short TTK, how are respawn mechanics going to work? According the CR you'll have your inheritors replace you or some poo poo, but what's the point of an FPS if you can't respawn at some stage?

Imagine you spend 30-40 minutes flying to this site to take it over or whatever. Game finally loads, get into it and some guy who's been waiting for you five mins headshots you from across the room. What next? That's going to be a serious gameplay issue that is going to have to be addressed somehow.

as someone who likes DayZ mod, that is what makes fights much more thrilling.

I hope that also in space battles you will need supply plans (stored ships/equipment on a close by hangar/captial ship) to rejoin a fight fast after being shot.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

we know only about gimmicky poo poo, because only the gimmicky poo poo is done.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

double riveting posted:

what if you turn the gravity on?

after a good half year of lurking i still can't figure out if stupid or troll..

VVV - J4G here, just to get it out of the way.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 3, 2014

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

AP posted:

Chris Roberts fan interview.

Beer4TheBeerGod's insurance question gets asked.

at 12:23 comes the question and the "car insurance" answer.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

it's not like people in RL appreciate much of their purchases very long.
Seeing it once and then knowing its theirs is enough. In Rl like in fiction.
Sooo much stuff bought in RL serve just that purpose.

You know you could see every little poo poo in your hangar and ships in full detail if you zoom just close enough. Maybe you will do it once and then never again.
Knowing that you still COULD do it is enough to make a difference, even if you never do.

that 20 minute close detail video of the gladiator btw... boy no.

But enough bullshit, it's loving stupid when your already have overblown ambitions for that game and make it even more unrealizable.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2014

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Kylra posted:

This might get me to voluntarily wear needless heels in a video game.

DasKeund owns shut up.

I bet everyone is just mad at SC_druggie for being a ladyperson. It's like Widestancer all over again, right down to the custom title buying.

I remember a time when a ladyperson online was special and everyone was extra nice to them. Wtf happened ?

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

i don't think scanning jumppoints is something explorers "do". maybe some will do it once or twice when they are very lucky or have much help.

Just because how rare it will be to find and/or do it when cig is ready to add another system.

Exploring i think will be more like what octopode said. Looking for the needle in the haystack.

More common stuff will probably finding mineable asteroids/special resources.

Endgame exploring more like finding abandonded ships/space stations to clean from whatever lurks in them.

If they are able to make it.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

This game has no chance of keeping up with the hype. At best it will seem mediocre.

Read this thread more and let your hype die.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Yeah, i wonder if they also wait till 1month before release to announce that player owned and run servers (moddable) won't make it into the game. With the same reason elite gave.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Truga posted:

CR has a huge hardon for people still playing (not) his game, Freelancer, 10+ years after release, because mods and dedicated servers though. I doubt his ego would let him pass another opportunity like that.

Then again, as with elite, anything can happen.

What he wants and what is possible are two different things though.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

sorla78 posted:

the latest ATV episode, back when they were advertising all these goodies reminded me of something, and then it hit me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skcxfaKgbR8

i don't know why, but i watched that whole thing...

i dont even watch ATV.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

I am all for that just get your money from the insurance.

At least for all the equipment. Would make traders/haulers viable if they can sell equipment to players at respawn locations.

I played a space MMO 10 years ago that worked exactly like that. For me the exact right type of death penalty. If you knew which player owned shop to look for you where up and running in minutes with the gear you wanted. But it was dependant on ig action. Sometime the best poo poo was out of stock and it took longer or you made compromises... whatever it was living. Haulers had to supply the factories with stuff (hauling them to a planet) which made stuff that traders hauled to their stations to sell from to make it work. And they made a shitload of money if they knew when and where to sell.

None of that poo poo i get in Elite where its just meaningless missions.

I hope someone at CIG did play Jumpgate and brings some good ideas in from that time.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 24, 2014

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

When i look at that retaliator pic i really hope that this ship will be the reason why always flying capital ships when you can won't be a good option.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Gerbil_Pen posted:

With a max crew of 8, it's not really far off from an Idris in crew requirements. Not many people will have properly crewed ships of all sizes, and single-seaters will rule the day.

max is not required.

They even write in their update that you can have all NPC crew. Doesnt need to be proper, but having two, three, four of the same instead of 1 that is "properly" crewed will be a non issue to choose if funds are out of the picture.

But what i am saying is that i hope that the retaliator will limit the viability of capital ships as much as single seaters will limit the viability of the retaliators, so yeah single-seaters will rule the day. But not because they can't crew them properly, moste won't give a poo poo and be captain instead of crewmember even if they have retard NPC as crew only. These guys will be shot down until they can't or want to afford this.

If you read this, this is where i think we say the same just different and could just not post. But i won't and click post instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

If this game is made in all its glory it will remain for a very long time a very unbalanced sandbox.

The only way it can resamble balance is by having enough unbalanced options.

• Locked thread