Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138611/how-to-swap-the-x-and-rudder-axis-on-x-52-x-52-pro-and-x-65f

Posting this here, because I think I saw some people ask for how to remap yaw and roll. Throw it into the OP or something.

vvv It always tells me connection failed after a couple minutes, but game works fine.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

imperialparadox posted:

This is funny because both sides cry about the other. Star Citizen must have perfect balance because all control methods are crappy! :v:

After executing this:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138862/to-switch-roll-and-yaw
And then going through this:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/139973/walkthrough-how-to-configure-joystick-throttle-pedals/p1

Both my mouse and my stick actually behave normally now. No more weird super exponential curve with a gigantic dead zone. Still not completely linear I think, but I got to wave 10 on my first try with both stick and mouse now. It appears that they're fairly well balanced, once you actually set poo poo up like it's supposed to be. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DatonKallandor posted:

loving Omniskys are broken as poo poo, it's ridiculous.

Omnisky was supposed to be class 1, but developers being bad at their own game is nothing new, so they balanced being unable to hit anything by making all the guns class 2 instead.
Hopefully they undo this change after seeing that it isn't impossible to hit with class 1, it's just them being bad.

vvv: I'm pretty sure the original design was that guns had classes too, and you couldn't get a class 1 gun to gimbal at all.

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
CTRL+F only changes mouse mode from virtual joystick to direct input mode. Does nothing with joystick, as far as I know.

The delay in responsiveness isn't going away. It'll get possibly a bit worse when/if they introduce thruster throttle delays, and it'll definitely get much, much better once they set up IFCS PID settings correctly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DatonKallandor posted:

Bullshit. They've got both multiplayer PvP matches and PvE matches going right now.

And yet, game release will happen in 2016. I wonder why, they've got it running right now.

:cripes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

The only playable part of the game will have to be supported as a full playable game at some point, I'd guess shortly after everyone who wants it can have it, because the players are absolutely going to expect it to be.

Yes, I'm sure that's a good idea that can only end well.

BitBasher posted:

I would say I think there is basically zero chance this game aligns with their earlier stated budget.

CR is pretty famous for missing budgets and deadlines. Freelancer was 2 years late in 2001, when he got removed from the project? Anyone expecting this game before 2016 when kickstarter ended was deluded at best, IMO.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The physics are fully simulated rigid body Newtonian. Which is basically what space flight is.

And that's where the realism ends. Everything else is fiction.

Edit: Not that that's a bad thing. IMO the game struck the perfect balance between KSP and X-wing. Now we just have to hope someone competent got their hands on the control scheme to make it work, because currently the flight control computer thing is absolute poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

imperialparadox posted:

One time while I was playing Arena Commander I had a lot of stuff going on in the background, and the game handled like crap. Aside from dropping frames, the ship was lurching extremely erratically, and even seemed to be attempting to turn in directions that I was not trying to go (even taking my hands off the controls it was still doing this). Would this corroborate that idea? The issue resolved when I restarted the game without all the things running in the background, returning to its normal sloppy handling.

This has a lot to do with cryengine being a gigantic steaming pile of crap, and not decoupling physics rate from the frame rate. Your frame rate drops, the physics rate drops. Due to this the input delay at low framerates on my PC is retarded even in the hangar, and possibly worse in even free flight, that runs fairly smoothly compared. Of course, this isn't even a rare problem these days, it's a problem with every popular modern "game engine" I know of that isn't somehow evolved from one of quake engines. I'll bet you anything cod wouldn't sell billions of copies if it had a poo poo engine that crapped itself completely at 30fps.

But, I can get the game to run at a decent 60-90 fps at low resolution even on my old graphics card, and it flies "better". However the PID values on the IFCS are poo poo (yes, IFCS is a fancy name for a PID controller). The good thing is that sooner or later, someone will figure out how to mod the kp ki and kd values on the IFCS and get us decent controls. The bad thing is, they seem to not care about fixing it right now, the dev working on it said weeks ago that compared to what he runs on his dev machine, the public builds are, in his own words, "unplayable". Yet, that obviously wasn't in 12.4, because in some cases, hornet is now distinctly worse off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Real life is already shittier than games.

In fact, games are better since 1994 or whenever doom2 released.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The funny part is, while this thread was in imp zone, the content was mostly boring cocaine scamtizen crap apart from one or two exceptions, but now that it's back, there's been several hilarious posts.

But yeah, imp zone is chill. I lurk there fairly often these days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Cataract surgery costs about $300. That's $300 to restore a person's sight. the World Cataract Foundation performs these operations in destitute parts of the third world, allowing the poverty-stricken to keep one of their most important faculties for improving their livelihood.

For the $48 million thrown at Christ Roberts to save PC gaming via unflyable spaceships, 160,000 of your fellow human beings could keep their ability to see their loved ones.

http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/scene/destiny-to-cost-500-million/07/05/2014

Enjoy your suffering.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

Actually they compared SC to bitcoins!

I made a poo poo ton of free money on bitcoins. If I knew the ship prices would skyrocket like this, I'd invest serious bux in pixelated spaceships.

Except I wouldn't, selling ships sounds like a crapload of effort.

vvvv: what does giving money to charities get me? :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 11, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

I am jealous of Chris Roberts because I have never scammed anyone out of $40 million with nothing but farts and dreams before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

It's never too late to start scamming.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I love cats posted:

I am happy for you having found a way to deal with your anti-social issues, and your inability to interact with other people in a normal, day-to-day setting.

To be fair, I've yet to meet anyone in a "normal, day-to-day setting" who would want to talk about non-existent internet spaceships. It's possible that it's because I don't ask them about it, but I really don't think that's it.

vvvv: I never could understand that either.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's the thing, those all exist. Star citizen doesn't. I'm pretty sure the only nerds who want to talk about it are the ones you meet at star citizen nerdfests.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 11, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

guy 1> Ah! I dunno what happened. I was just siting here, and suddely bought a gladius.
guy 2> *sniffs* mah money...
guy 3> @1 happens
guy 3> @1 I bought some freelancers that way
guy 2> I know that feeling 1. I had a thought, my wallet cried and here it was...
guy 1> When the conny variants come out, I will be in trouble.

This happened in star citizen jabber just moments ago. Random people are still spending tons of cash on fake spaceship concept art. Christ Robbers just has to never release the game and he can eventually buy out the whole world, and make real world spaceships instead. Cunning plan, tbh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be honest, those exact same 3 "lines" the alien NPCs produced in KOTOR games did get old fairly quick.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My guess is, apart from finding new systems (not going to happen for the vast majority), exploration will be somewhere between freelancer and eve-o. Float about, find randomly spawned rocks or facilities on sensor, kill pirates/mine rocks or sell the location of the site. I don't really see this going any other way.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To me, it really doesn't matter. As long as I get to blow up scrubs and then read on the forums about how they lost a ship they paid $10k for to some "psycho griefer ganker rear end in a top hat", I'm good to go. And if that fails, I'm sure someone will make a mod that's actually fun and everyone will play that on private servers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I won that game already, need a new fix.

Also magical space insurance only works on basic hulls. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking SA for a long time, I regged because the paywall went up again recently. Also, the only experiences I have in eve with goons was when I was killing bobbits with them in Delve, but I guess that's kinda like getting scammed. And no, I don't want into goons in SC, I have my own friends. Thanks a lot though.

Edit: I found my character, and apparently I was in goons at the time I quit the game, I wonder how that happened: https://www.pandemic-legion.com/killboard/view_pilot.php?id=Nuts+Nougat

:smugbert:

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 16, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I know you meant goonfleet. Goonswarm alliance was stolen from goons by karttoon and he gave it to sniggwaffe before he got himself banned. I figured you knew this.

Bootcha posted:

Been there, stole from people, done that. ALOD is sometimes fun to read, but it much more fun to steal from people who ostensibly know what they're doing. Star Citizen presents and opportunity to get in on the ground floor, try out some new mechanics, practice off the stupid and incompetent, and then attempt some heists on the big'n'powerful with a small group of buddies.

Yes.

vvvv: I love e-honour players.

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 16, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eve is literally the worst.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that eve is the best MMO ever conceived, and it wasn't really an entirely horrid game back in 2003/4 when I first tried it. It was basically freelancer, which also released in 2003, with slightly clunkier controls, that allowed it to work "well" online, and it had a lot more content and depth to it than almost any other game.

In 2014 it's just a very bad game though, compared to other things. Still probably the best MMO, but that's really not saying much.

Broccoli Cat posted:

I thought you were the worst.

Yes, I am, but I thought we were talking about games. Did you borrow your scope from croberts?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Correct. The way exploration will work is we'll either get

1) Decent procedural generation and stuff will be fine.
2) Bad procedural generation and everything will be seriously poo poo.
3) A batch of "hand crafted" new systems every several months, with the only things to "explore" in the mean time being temporary jump points between existing systems and space rocks to mine or space outposts to shoot/salvage/sell.

There's also the option of 4) where they procedurally generate a system and then add a couple things they think should be there, but for that to work, 1) has to work too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Homo for Hitler posted:

Now imma let you finish but you're lucky if you get a game at all

Yes, I'm talking about the unlikely scenario of the game actually shipping more than a hangar or dogfight tech demo.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 16, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Of course the funny part is that I imagine a lot of this would be mitigated if the flight model wasn't turrets in space. Right now the maneuvering thrusters are nearly as powerful as the main ones, so turning is trivial. If you weaken the maneuvering thrusters so the ships actually handle like fighters then the area of possible vectors the ship can go is dramatically reduced.

I just want to point out, that due to leverage thrusters have, rotating your ship will still be pretty much just as fast as it is now, even if you nerf them by a factor of 3+. The difference won't be very noticeable at all. Meanwhile, actually turning would only really happen with the main thruster.

That is more turrets in space than we have now, not less, if you ask me. Also, it's something I can get behind to, because it'd make sense to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How? If the rate of turn acceleration is X degrees/sec^2 and is a function of distance from CG and thrust, how would reducing to 33% of the original value but keeping the distance from CG the same somehow result in the same turn rate?

Because we have enough thrust to achieve the max spin rate IFCS will allow instantaneously, the only thing stopping that from happening is IFCS being poo poo and not doing its job right now. One thruster on a hornet seems to put out 400kN, you have 4 available to spin you in any direction. Reducing it by any amount short of making it almost useless for actual translation will not nerf angular acceleration sufficiently.

Unless CIG artificially nerfs spinning, like elite did. But at that point, you might as well just play any other x-wing clone. I don't want that.

All they need to do to "fix" their netcode is stop being blithering idiots, can the idea of transmitting every thruster, and go with what every other game does for non-local entities. Position, attitude, velocity, angular velocity, status.

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Stretch goal at 500 million, but at current pace we'll be there before the decade's out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rear admiral is $250 constellation package I think? I could be wrong.

Edit: ninjad :<

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Homo for Hitler posted:

Bitcoin only went up for years and suddenly a huge spike happened (can you think of a similar one in magic?) And then it crashed spectacularly.

So, what you're saying is that fake spaceships can only go up from here? :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

imperialparadox posted:

Elite. I've watched the game in beta, going from frequent disconnects to no connection problems at all in a few months;

So you're saying star citizen just isn't finished yet, and we'll have no connection problems at all in a couple more months? :v:

imperialparadox posted:

Meanwhile, Star Citizen seems to struggle with using Cryengine.

Anyone who uses Cryengine struggles, and they only have to blame themselves. That "game engine" is literally only useful for the graphics engine it does, everything else in it has to be done from scratch, as the code supplied by crytek is absolute trash. I see people speculating crytek folding because people have "in house" engines, meanwhile I'm just surprised it hasn't happened earlier. The same problems have plagued the engine since the first version years ago.

Yeah, unity does the same thing, that's true, but at least unity doesn't shoot itself in the foot by using c++. C# is basically java, and in high school everyone learned java, not c++.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Courthouse posted:

The caveat being that once/if the game is out and the facts that LTI is worth very little sinks in and you can get all the ships by playing, the price will crash. I don't think this silliness can go on for long so if goons are sitting on LTI ships and not selling them and then getting the very same ship sans lti, they probably will not earn more than now.

I very much doubt it will. Have you played eve? There are tons of limited edition ships and items in it that are maybe slightly better than their normal counterparts, or sometimes just the same item but different skin/name, yet people will pay you 500 billion isk for one (which you can then sell to gold sellers for like $5000), because it's rare or something, and then keep it in their hangar and post screenshots of it being in their hangar. Never underestimate obsessive hoarders.

I predict something similar will happen here, if this game ever comes out. And if it doesn't people will just keep trading these ships at ever increasing prices anyway, because ~the dream~.

Fil5000 posted:

Please come back widestancer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baudin posted:

Heh, asking courthouse if he's played eve.

Have you? The ships you're talking about are unique - as in only so many in existence. That's not the case with any of the LTI packages - these ships will be available from in game currency if its ever released?

There is also only so many LTI ships in existence. Sure, a LTI aurora might not go for a lot of credits, but a LTI scyhte or idris will probably be worth a lot.

Yes, you'll be able to sell LTI hulls in the game for game credits.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not trying to defend anyone. I'm just saying that even if the game comes out and LTI is worthless, there will still be idiots paying ridiculous amounts of cash/credits for it, just because it's there and it's rare.

Again, a LTI aurora might be worth no more than a normal aurora in the game, because there's like 200k of them, but there's only 300 LTI scythes, and even less idrises. People are going to collect that kind of poo poo, because they always do, and they're going to pay dumb prices for them, just like they're paying 200% markup now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DiHK posted:

Can I assign buttons to a control device yet? XML is way more :effort: than I am willing to give.

https://github.com/SCToolsfactory/SCJMapper-V2/releases

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes it almost feels like this game isn't finished yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Which I think is October 31 to November 2. Going to be pretty funny if they haven't fixed Arena Commander by then, all the press will be asking about the backers having meltdowns.

Someone was already complaining earlier that "they said they want to do it, but it's not confirmed at all!!!111 That magazine is bastards".

Frankly, I wouldn't expect FPS that early either, when they can't even get arena commander working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It isn't. They'll end up throwing it out and rewriting it.

And then scrapping half of that too, and doing it again, as can happen during early development.

Frankly, I'm more worried about them sticking to this shitcode they wrote, which they see isn't working, and would prefer to see them drop it and go with a sane approach. If they can make it work well, more power to them, but I wouldn't bet on it ever.

• Locked thread