Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
---
This poll is closed.
Go Heat! 96 28.15%
Go Spurs! 245 71.85%
Total: 341 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
[With 18 seconds left,] Should the Spurs foul? Should Miami go for the three right away? James catches, puts up the three, won't go! Rebound Bosh, back out to Allen, his three pointer,

BANG!! TIE GAME WITH FIVE SECONDS REMAINING!!

For the first time since 1984, the NBA Finals will be played in a 2-2-1-1-1 format. For the first time since 1998, two teams will face each other again in the Finals. Last year was the most exciting finals in a long time, and this year's looks to exceed it. There are no two other more diametrically opposed teams in the NBA right now compared to the Spurs and the Heat. In the East you have the Miami Heat with its South Beach, flair, endorsements, alley oops, coast to coast fast breaks and star power. In the West you have the San Antonio Spurs with its Texas, boring, fundamentals, systematic and quiet team and offense. The Heat has the undisputed best player of the generation and fights the Lakers as the league's most popular team. The Spurs have the longest coach and star player marriage in the USA for the past hundred years and it is being done with the league's fourth smallest TV market. But the Heat also has something else Popovich and Duncan don't have: the 2013 NBA Championship.

The current core of this Miami Heat team began on July 8th, 2010 with the infamous The Decision. Facing relentless criticism and backlash throughout the 2010-11 season the Heat managed to arrive to the finals but ultimately fell short. Three years later they are now back to their fourth straight finals making them the first team to do so since the 1987 Celtics and also the fourth team in history to do so. They have the potential to threepeat, making them the first since the 2002 Lakers. The season for the Heat however was filled with uncertainty. Do they have the will, the drive, the fire to not only win the finals but to make it to the finals again? They lost a critical piece from last year in Mike Miller. Wade was in and out and more out than in throughout the season leaving LeBron with the blunt of the work. LeBron was not the MVP, Durant was. Would LeBron leave for Cleveland. Battier is set to retire after this season and Allen may soon follow. But the East was weak and the Heat coasted into the finals with little to no resistances. Wade is playing better in these playoffs than he has in half a decade. And Spoelstra has discovered he still has sharp shooters hidden on his bench who are hungry. The two time champion Miami Heat is rested and ready for the NBA Finals.

In 1997 the Spurs were criticized for tanking their season with the firing of popular coach Bob Hill by his boss who then replaced him as the head coach. They would then use their number one pick on a young man by the name of Tim Duncan. In Duncan's second season, in 1999, the Spurs started the season 6-8 and were on the verge of firing their second full year head coach, Gregg Popovich. Young Tim listened as the normally stoic David Robinson gave a passionate pregame speech yelling how they, this team can not let Popovich get fired. On that night Duncan proceeded to post up 23 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks against the Olajuwon Rockets before finishing the regular season 37-13 and ending the post season with the franchise's first championship. In the following summer Duncan was a crossroad in his young career, he could stay with Popovich and Robinson, or he could leave to form a new dynasty at Orlando, a big three. But Duncan decided to stay and since then the Spurs would make four more NBA finals appearance and win three more championships.

However before last year, their last finals appearance and championship was in 2007 and there were talks if the Duncan era was over, if The Spurs needed to think about rebuilding with a new young core. Duncan and the Spurs worked and worked to change his game into a timeless form, it wasn't pretty or sexy but it made him stay as one of the league's top power forwards. In 2012 the Spurs lost four in a row to a young and dynamic Thunder in the WCF after a miracle playoff run. In 2013 the Spurs made it all the way to being 28 seconds away from the winning their fifth NBA championship. But the Spurs didn't and the team that Popovich wanted to protect and hide as boring, unstimulating and uninteresting was revealed to have cared about that lost, they cared about that lost. A lot. For a whole year. Every single day and night. There were talks about whether Ginobili would retire, especially after last year's lost. There were talks about whether Popovich and Duncan would retire together after this season. But right now none of that matters; It is a miracle to be given another chance at the NBA Finals, against the same team, with basically the same team, the following year especially after such a devastating lost. The Spurs had to fight themselves and the tough West to make it here but they are now here and determined to win the NBA Finals.

For the next two weeks the best basketball of the year begins, where only one team wins and the other loses, everyone this is

Game 1: Heat at Spurs, Thursday, June 5, 9 p.m. ET, ABC

Game 2: Heat at Spurs, Sunday, June 8, 8 p.m. ET, ABC

Game 3: Spurs at Heat, Tuesday, June 10, 9 p.m. ET, ABC

Game 4: Spurs at Heat, Thursday, June 12, 9 p.m. ET, ABC

*Game 5: Heat at Spurs, Sunday, June 15, 8 p.m. ET, ABC

*Game 6: Spurs at Heat, Tuesday, June 17, 9 p.m. ET, ABC

*Game 7: Heat at Spurs, Friday, June 20, 9 p.m. ET, ABC

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you vote for the Heat you are a bad person.

P.S. June 5th is my birthday :toot:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Make your finals playoff picks at the SAS Playoff Picks thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626259

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 3, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk DUNADUNNDUNNADADADAdadunananananaa

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hopin for the Spurs to redeem Texas basketball.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

TAO posted:

Yeah, but Conan is a serial novel character whose books all follow plotlines like:
Conan sees an incredibly hot girl
Conan performs and impossibly athletic feat, usually murdering a few faceless enemies
Conan fucks the incredibly hot girl
On to the next city
Which, substitute a word or so, was the life of Wilt Chamberlain.

It's a nice picture of the pretenders and the real thing, and Wilt's arms are bigger and stronger.

There's never enough Wilt and Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9buo9Mtos

I'd bet that this is Tim Duncan's pump up vid before he takes the court.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Hear the lamentations of their women and then sent a letter of apologies to them after the game.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Hear the lamentations of their women and then sent a letter of apologies to them after the game.

Or details of a financial settlement if you're Kobe.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Game 6 and 7 last year took about 5 years off my life. I don't know if I can handle another one of these series.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heat in 6.

gently caress Skip Bayless.

gently caress Michelle Beadle.

Beasley and Oden, get dem ringz.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

Heat in 6.

gently caress Skip Bayless.

gently caress Michelle Beadle.

Beasley and Oden, get dem ringz.

One of the few reasons why I don't want the Spurs to succeed is Skip Bayless is a Spurs fan

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

nachos posted:

Game 6 and 7 last year took about 5 years off my life. I don't know if I can handle another one of these series.

Yup I don't know if I can even watch.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Some hosed up dude stabbed Taj Gibson's six year old cousin to death.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Today I found out that Jason Collins has made $35 million during his NBA career

Predicting San Antonio in 6

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Metapod posted:

One of the few reasons why I don't want the Spurs to succeed is Skip Bayless is a Spurs fan

Here's the thing, Skip Bayless isn't actually a fan of a specific team. So please don't base things on what he "roots" for.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm rooting for the series to go to 7 games which is like an extra week of basketball to keep me docile and entertained.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

:golfclap:

Heat in 5.

Les

Go

Ji.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

Doltos posted:

I have nothing good to say other than that is really bad and I hope they catch the guy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
gently caress yeah Go Spurs Go!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Doltos posted:

Wait holy poo poo this is actually a thing that happened like today? That's just terrible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I somehow missed the memo that the Lakers are fighting for the right to have Derek Fisher as their coach against the Knicks. This is really going to happen, isn't it.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Doltos posted:

This makes me ill.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Fuuuuuuuuuck Kevvvvvvvn Duraaaaaaaaahnt

Fuuuuuuuuuck Keeeevvvvv durAAAAAAAhhhhnt

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MVP posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck Kevvvvvvvn Duraaaaaaaaahnt

Fuuuuuuuuuck Keeeevvvvv durAAAAAAAhhhhnt

Lil B?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
The Lil B curse is better and more fun than the Portland curse which was dormant for the majority of the year (poor Aldrigde)

I want the Heat to lose but at least it won't be OKC gently caress off defense (besides Shane Battier)

Also maybe Dirty Wade will make an appearance.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

MVP posted:

Also maybe Dirty Wade will make an appearance.

Haha, maybe?

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait holy poo poo this is actually a thing that happened like today? That's just terrible.

It was Taj's cousin and his best friend. I think the best friend is in critical condition though. The motherfucker just straight up stabbed them out of no where.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It sure is dangerous to be related to an NBA player huh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BIZORT posted:

Today I found out that Jason Collins has made $35 million during his NBA career

Predicting San Antonio in 6

I wish I was 7 feet tall.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Errant Gin Monks posted:

In an elevator with a butcher knife no less.

Also there has been butcher knife related death(s) in that area the past couple of weeks. Seems sort of serial killery and random, but still I hope they gently caress that guy with his knives.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

There are no two other more diametrically opposed teams in the NBA right now compared to the Spurs and the Heat. In the East you have the Miami Heat with its South Beach, flair, endorsements, alley oops, coast to coast fast breaks and star power. In the West you have the San Antonio Spurs with its Texas, boring, fundamentals, systematic and quiet team and offense.

Thanks for opening the N/V thread with a giant troll.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Regarding that all defensive team and some of those bizarre selections, this tweet might shed some light on them: https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/473592806947430400

I love people with votes marking people by mistake. Jesus christ.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ramadu posted:

Regarding that all defensive team and some of those bizarre selections, this tweet might shed some light on them: https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/473592806947430400

Butterfly ballot strikes again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

I somehow missed the memo that the Lakers are fighting for the right to have Derek Fisher as their coach against the Knicks. This is really going to happen, isn't it.

Why does it matter who coaches the Lakers right now, Tae?

E: I mean the most current news is the Lakers probably won't even interview Fisher.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 3, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kuhmondo posted:

It was Taj's cousin and his best friend. I think the best friend is in critical condition though. The motherfucker just straight up stabbed them out of no where.

Good Lord, what the gently caress man, that's terrible :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ramadu posted:

I just don't understand how a system developed to be implemented in 2014 has a way for someone to accidentally nominate someone.

Hell I get like 3 checks to make sure I got it right when I order Chipotle online.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Al McCoy is really old.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I can't wait to see Kawhi guarding Lebron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Maybe he meant to pick David Lee and then pulled the old oops my ballot was hacked trick after people started asking him wtf

• Locked thread