Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Far as I can tell, the whole thing is a sort of staring into the abyss sort of narrative. People who work for Bryan's have to deal with so much awful poo poo and dark matter and whatnot that they are eventually corrupted: Bryan owns and overwhelms this (which he admits to Mondo's predecessor early in the game) but most try to hold onto some ray of hope or goodness such as Mika- which David believes doesn't work (his analogy being tossing a sun into a black hole, and he plans to take out this loss of himself on the world), which is why he uses Mika as a spy; because he wants to turn Mondo and have him succumb to evil himself, which Bryan and Vivian are both worried about : Musselback seems designed to help staunch this, even while Gekkou is feeding and aiding the transformation. Notice that Mondo's gun arm stuff shoots out and weaponizes the blood he has, but he can also use it to heal and turn super-saiyan for an instant with the RT move. It's sort of a big old metaphor of being covered in blood, and whether you use it purely professionally or really own it like David- hence Mondo's extreme seriousness on the job,though cracks tend to show. To help him with this he's sort of taken the identity of pre-crazy David even: he habitually slicks back his hair like him (and has it during the second phase of the final fight) and during the dodge-mash X stuff he is wearing David's old suit. As an outlet he pursues women, but does so single-mindedly and without any real passion, which is why they keep bugging him and phoning him during missions: he focuses while courting and then pushes everything aside while focusing on other things. He's trying to bring balance in his life but given the mental strain of trying to cope with the trauma of David attacking him he's simply holding too much back. Eventually Mondo does break and succumb and the circle of people breaking after taking down broken people continues. He does so to take charge of the building evil within the moon but he still is lost to earth, as it were. He's basically a trauma victim on a precipice, trying his best to shield himself from evil and in the process putting himself in its way.

This is I think what they were going for. It doesn't quite all work, but I also don't think that it's a bunch of senseless nonsense like a lot of people do. As a secondary note I think that there is some meaning for the moon colour in relation to David and Mondo's eyes, but I really can't be arsed to try and make sense of it. There you have the benefits of and English degree, much like Homer Simpson when I'm bored I make my own movies. :pseudo:

e: I've put more thought into this dumb game than anybody on the planet, haven't I? :saddowns:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

It's just a bad game no need to overanalyze it. Guy's famous for weird games and he probably thought fans would buy this one too just because it's weird.

e: him or whoever supervised in his place

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It wouldn't be a Suda or a Suda-in-name-only game if it didn't have a cool concept or set of ideas with spotty execution at the best of times, to be fair. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
99% of boss fights would be improved by New World Symphony.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That was quite an interesting take on Mondo's character. What you're saying makes a lot of sense considering Mondo is such a drab protagonist. He is trying to be the straight man to his flamboyant brother. In more ways than one. Mondo spends all his time hitting on women, saving damsels in distress, and fighting gigantic phallic monstrosities. It's all futile, though. In the end, he turns into the man he never wanted to be, rebuilding that gaudy castle on the moon, and taking the place of Audrey Hepburn, the woman old Mondo desired the most.

Or in other words: Butts

(Seriously though, that did make a lot of sense.)

And More fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 4, 2014

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Puppeteer next? Awesome, It's a bit talky but it's got a great style. I wonder how you'll be handling the collectables though, as maybe 10-20% can't be collected on your first time through the game (possibly more).

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Sindai posted:

99% of boss fights would be improved by New World Symphony.

New World Order and you got yourself an agreement.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

judge reinhold posted:

Hulk Hogan would make the perfect boss. He's still huge, is incredibly sluggish and has obvious weakspots.

When are you going to LP a wrestling game?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

judge reinhold posted:

I think the regular World Order would add something, too.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I don't really know what happened, but I don't much care either, so there's that.

Still, good LP, Geop and Judge; probably would have peaced out after video two if not for you guys keeping it real, and of course, the wonderful dad jokes. :allears:

I will look forward to your next project (looks pretty cool!).

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think the regular World Order would add something, too.

I'd prefer New Order.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Didn't Asura's Wrath have a bossfight in a crater on the moon to Dvorak's 9th?

Also Geop your "Moonlight Sonata" was Fur Elise GOD GET IT RIGHT

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Mistakes like that are what keeps this thread in the "B" tier rating of 4 in the subforum. I'm so ashamed.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

One might say that it was a classical blunder!

Ahaha!

Ha!

Ha.

:smithicide:

Also Reinhold I KNOW YOU RATED THIS THREAD A ONE.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The moon= New World Symphony thing is (I thought it was but double checked it on wikipedia) because Neil Armstrong took a recording of the song to the moon during the Apollo 11 moon landing, which is pretty neat :eng101:

e: \/\/ Is that another piece brought to the moon? Astronauts are an artistic bunch it would seem.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

And More posted:

That was quite an interesting take on Mondo's character. What you're saying makes a lot of sense considering Mondo is such a drab protagonist. He is trying to be the straight man to his flamboyant brother. In more ways than one. Mondo spends all his time hitting on women, saving damsels in distress, and fighting gigantic phallic monstrosities. It's all futile, though. In the end, he turns into the man he never wanted to be, rebuilding that gaudy castle on the moon, and taking the place of Audrey Hepburn, the woman old Mondo desired the most.

Or in other words: Butts

(Seriously though, that did make a lot of sense.)

It's nice to have someone actually comment positively on me defending this game, thanks. :unsmith:

Although while I appreciated your post for this reason at first, really I', just hypnotized by the butt gif. I kind of want that as an avatar now, to be perfectly frank.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Geop posted:

One might say that it was a classical blunder!

Second only to: Never get involved in a land war on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

Second only to: Never get involved in a land war on the moon.
Luckily, I spent the last few years building up an immunity to vampire blood!

• Locked thread