Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK; this might seem a bit... I dunno culturally insensitive or what have you; but why on earth does the main character's assistant act so unrealistically ditzy? I mean, I am ok with any character being a klutz and that being played for laughs (as long as, you know, it's done well, with the character being more than these adjectives); but this level of clumsiness is obnoxious and un-funny whenever it isn't flat-out confusing. Is it some kind of a... Japanese cultural-meme thing? And if so, why? I mean... isn't it seen as very irritating over there too?

Edit - Also, if they were based on the dark side of the moon, how the hell would they have been able to see Earth? I was under the impressio the dark side of the moon never turned towards Earth; though I freely admit I am no astronomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They say one of the better types of boss fights in games is fighting a dude who's just like you (think DMC3), and I think David fits that archetype kinda well. His fight is pretty involved compared to some other stuff.
These earlier levels are slow to start off and seem to have soured a lot of people's opinions on the game. Especially the next level, which I've heard complaints about, but it's one of the more interesting things in the game.
Also yeah, that is definitely Liam O'Brien as David. Mondo called him a cat burglar cause he stole the moon I guess.

Speedball posted:

Is there a clearer source for all the text that flashes at the beginning of an episode?

It's literally the story board/script for the level. "Mondo enters the room, does the thing etc etc" with dialogue here and there.

Samovar posted:

OK; this might seem a bit... I dunno culturally insensitive or what have you; but why on earth does the main character's assistant act so unrealistically ditzy? I mean, I am ok with any character being a klutz and that being played for laughs (as long as, you know, it's done well, with the character being more than these adjectives); but this level of clumsiness is obnoxious and un-funny whenever it isn't flat-out confusing. Is it some kind of a... Japanese cultural-meme thing? And if so, why? I mean... isn't it seen as very irritating over there too?
I've tolerated a lot of dumb stuff in the past and I think the gist of it is that "Oh look she's young and incompetent with a gung ho attitude isn't that cute?" but it isn't. Especially with Mika who's just sort of... there, shouting stuff all the time. There's a reason Geop called her an anime.
I think that CPR/heart massage was actually kinda amusing though if only because of how nonsensical it is. Mondo's beaten back to life by the embodiment of all shrill voices.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's an anime stereotype; the (Warning TVTropes) Genki Girl. I'm... honestly not actually sure why.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

The only other person/thing/caricature I've seen that clumsy is Colette from Tails of Symphonia. But the one thing she has going for her is that she's not aggressively unpleasant to listen to. The only thing more annoying is that one short chick from Scrubs; Josephine.

Neruz posted:

It's an anime stereotype

Oh god no.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Every other character in this game is some kind of weirdo, so Mika being what she is doesn't strike me as any more strange than any of the other screwed up poo poo that goes on in this game. A guy who's half metal? A lady with THING WE HAVEN'T SEEN IN THE LP YET? A guy wearing nothing but gold filigree and a weird crown? I mean, sure, game. Whatever you wanna put in there. A shrieky pink girl seems relatively realistic compared to all that...

Holy balls is that voice grating, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Geop, are you saying whoever lives on the moon doesn't immediately own the earth? I thought it was anime law that whosoever dons the most stupid swimsuit and/or lives in the most ridiculous location is rightful king of this Earth, this realm, this Japanimerica.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

David is giving me a huge Michael Fassbender vibe, I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's the creepy smile.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 6, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

I'm partial to the "he was fired out of a big fuckoff canon aimed straight at the moon" theory.

Though "stuffing a DeSoto tailpipe full of matches and lighting them" comes in at a close second. Mostly for the DeSoto.

My hypothesis is he jumped really, really high.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He cut off a piece of it with a really long anime katana windslash, then hopped on it and tapped its holistic powers to fly it back.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Giant slingshot.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

My hypothesis is he jumped really, really high.

I personally subscribe to the sweet jumps theory. That's why you can't jump in this game, his legs are simply too powerful to be manageable for small jumps.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HGH posted:

Mondo's beaten back to life by the embodiment of all shrill voices.
If I came back to life and heard that, I'd will myself dead again.

As much as I loved the hyper-realistic style of The Last of Us, I'm digging this almost pop-art treatment, too; it seems to be a perfect fit for the overall tone and gameplay. It sounds like I'll have to go watch the Killer7 LP for more of it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I honestly like Geop's idea better, that Mondo simply found a way to walk to the moon. The idea is hilarious to me, and fits into that sort of subtle magic stuff that I like to see in stories, like Gandalf in LotR.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, man, I gotta ask. These assorted challenges and "giggalo missions" you aren't showing, what are they? Why are they so bad that they can't be shown?

HGH posted:

They say one of the better types of boss fights in games is fighting a dude who's just like you (think DMC3)

It was the one in DMC4 that did it for me; I got my rear end kicked by Dante so many times, I can't even count, but I didn't care. The fight was just that awesome!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

azren posted:

Okay, man, I gotta ask. These assorted challenges and "giggalo missions" you aren't showing, what are they? Why are they so bad that they can't be shown?

Geop is a prude. Give the people what they want already.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

It'll be in the next episode, promise!

HEH.

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 6, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

azren posted:

As far as I know, they're pretty skeevy and pervy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Having played them, they're... a bit skeevy, but what little I saw was honestly PG-13, just sorta juvenile. It's also extremely boring gameplay-wise, has nothing to do with the plot, and really has no business being in the game. But you have to do it to unlock certain things.

The combat challenges aren't bad, just also not super interesting and mostly are just there to let you get more cash and exp as far as I can tell?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Samovar posted:

Edit - Also, if they were based on the dark side of the moon, how the hell would they have been able to see Earth? I was under the impressio the dark side of the moon never turned towards Earth; though I freely admit I am no astronomer.

Yeah, it doesn't. It's because of the moon's rotation that the same side always faces the Earth; if it didn't rotate then the orbit would mean we could see different sides at different times of the month.

Edit: Also the real problem with living on the dark side is that, as the name implies, the Sun cannot reach it. It is ridiculously cold and you would freeze to death pretty darn fast.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 6, 2014

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I just found this lp and watched all the episodes. I own this game but could never finish it. I'm hardcore super gay, so if anyone saw they knew I wouldn't be watching some weird hentai, but the gigolo missions still made me so uncomfortable that I would only play this game alone when no one was around. I was so afraid of someone walking in and thinking I switched teams.

And then when I tried to just not 100% a game for once and just play the story missions I was smacked in the face with clunky combat and the most disjointed story that never seemed to go anywhere.

I kept meaning to pick it up again and finish it but now I don't have to! Now I can figure out this game's dumb story without feeling like I'm going to be sent to jail.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
David looks like he escaped from a piece of Jojo media and he doesn't wanna go back dammit

*flees to moon*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dragonatrix posted:

Edit: Also the real problem with living on the dark side is that, as the name implies, the Sun cannot reach it. It is ridiculously cold and you would freeze to death pretty darn fast.

It's the far side of the Moon, not the dark side of the Moon :eng101:

(It faces the sun sometimes, but never faces the Earth)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the far side of the Moon, not the dark side of the Moon :eng101:

(It faces the sun sometimes, but never faces the Earth)

Fun fact: the reason people keep calling it "the dark side of the moon" is because the phrase uses an old definition of "dark" which means "without knowledge." So it's essentially "dark" to our understanding and the occasionally irritating phrase was correct all along.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The reason people keep calling it the Dark Side of the Moon is because it's Pink Floyd's best album.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, there is no dark side of the moon! As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Dark Side can't be the best one. No oxygen means no Echoes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm digging the monster design in this game. I'm basically watching this to see what kind of hosed up monstrosities Geop will be fighting next.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was it Moon River tried to pay Bryan with again?

so deep

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Atomikus posted:

Dark Side can't be the best one. No oxygen means no Echoes.

No animals either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Everyone keeps talking about David's ridiculous outfit, but I keep thinking about those teeth of his. He has a very toothy design.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's also very JoJo.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Speedball posted:

Everyone keeps talking about David's ridiculous outfit, but I keep thinking about those teeth of his. He has a very toothy design.

His near constant shark grin is just the best. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gologle posted:

I honestly like Geop's idea better, that Mondo simply found a way to walk to the moon. The idea is hilarious to me, and fits into that sort of subtle magic stuff that I like to see in stories, like Gandalf in LotR.

Well. He got a couple of miles down the road, but there was this trucker was going in the same direction, and it was a long haul, so *Gigolo Mode joke here*

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

His near constant shark grin is just the best. :allears:

The weird thing about him is that his smile is huge but his eyes are so sleepy-looking. Like he's high on moon rocks or something.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That 4th wall break was super painful.

David's absurd outfit was almost a relief after it. That teleport though looked super cheap. Just like "Here, take some damage"

This is a very strange game. Though I was amused by Mika beating your heart back to life.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

David's absurd outfit was almost a relief after it. That teleport though looked super cheap. Just like "Here, take some damage"

It's very dodgeable using sound cues and such. It doesn't look that way and the first time it's very hard to dodge but it's not especially unfair.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Veloxyll posted:

That 4th wall break was super painful.

Agreed. I generally don't like 4th wall breaking humor. A lot of the time it's lazy humor: the writer can't come up with a joke so they just rely on the standard of having a character say which medium they occupy. And then this game has the surreal atmosphere that tries to really capture the audience, but throws it away with one, rather clichéd, line.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I really disappointed that this boss fight didn't end with Mondo dramatically saying KILLER......GOT AWAY.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I really disappointed that this boss fight didn't end with Mondo dramatically saying KILLER......GOT AWAY.
KILLER HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.
While looking right in the camera and doing a hip thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I knew I recognized Bryan's voice; it's the same actor who did Big Bo in Binary Domain!

• Locked thread