Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know, I kinda liked the game. It has a lot of flaws but like Geop and others have said there's just something weird about it that makes it compelling.
A lot of people say "oh the plot is absurd and makes no sense", but personally, taking a deep look after finishing it, it felt pretty cohesive within its own setting.
Also I know you're not showing Gigolo Mode (and I'm glad for that), but I'd like to see the failure state for those. Mostly for Mondo getting what he deserves (like a pot of boiling tea over the head).

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why people poo poo on the gameplay for these games. Killer7 was overall pretty fun and unique, tho it could have been more polished, NMH was excellent, NMH2 even moreso, and I've not played Lollipop Chainsaw or Shadows of the Damned but their gameplay looks pretty fun if a bit mindless. Compared to most other games which have dull gameplay and dull aesthetics and poo poo.

I also really enjoyed the same games and found the gameplay fun despite some downsides. It's just that, compared to something like DMC or the GoW type series, or basically any Platinum game, they're pretty simple, so people come in with high expectations and are met with more simplistic games, sometimes janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DialTheDude posted:

The shifting subtitles in this game are putting me into a trace the way the letters move up and down. It's really subtle, but my eyes can't stop paying attention to them doing that, oddly.

Is that happening all the time? I thought it was only with Alice and such to emphasize the whole monster thing.
Also, Geop you mentioned one of the voices at the start being "that dude who's in everything", so I'm gonna guess venture a guess on either Liam O'Brien or Yuri Lowenthal?

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 5, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This just reminds me that my favourite boss in the game's music is nowhere to be found in the OST or online. Also, there are some dynamic parts of the tracks that you also can't really find either.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They say one of the better types of boss fights in games is fighting a dude who's just like you (think DMC3), and I think David fits that archetype kinda well. His fight is pretty involved compared to some other stuff.
These earlier levels are slow to start off and seem to have soured a lot of people's opinions on the game. Especially the next level, which I've heard complaints about, but it's one of the more interesting things in the game.
Also yeah, that is definitely Liam O'Brien as David. Mondo called him a cat burglar cause he stole the moon I guess.

Speedball posted:

Is there a clearer source for all the text that flashes at the beginning of an episode?

It's literally the story board/script for the level. "Mondo enters the room, does the thing etc etc" with dialogue here and there.

Samovar posted:

OK; this might seem a bit... I dunno culturally insensitive or what have you; but why on earth does the main character's assistant act so unrealistically ditzy? I mean, I am ok with any character being a klutz and that being played for laughs (as long as, you know, it's done well, with the character being more than these adjectives); but this level of clumsiness is obnoxious and un-funny whenever it isn't flat-out confusing. Is it some kind of a... Japanese cultural-meme thing? And if so, why? I mean... isn't it seen as very irritating over there too?
I've tolerated a lot of dumb stuff in the past and I think the gist of it is that "Oh look she's young and incompetent with a gung ho attitude isn't that cute?" but it isn't. Especially with Mika who's just sort of... there, shouting stuff all the time. There's a reason Geop called her an anime.
I think that CPR/heart massage was actually kinda amusing though if only because of how nonsensical it is. Mondo's beaten back to life by the embodiment of all shrill voices.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

David's face and mannerisms are really wonderful in this scene.

The contrast with Mondo's perma-scowl is pretty good since he's just so animated.

Also, from what I understand, that part with the mashing that Geop lost at is supposedly insanely hard? As in I've heard tales of people giving up on the game because they simply can't mash fast enough to finish the fight. Is that any true or just good old internet exaggeration?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't really want to go back to this subject but who even came up with the term "Character Action Game"? Is there an agreed upon definition somewhere? It feels mostly like a vocal elitist niche regarding action games.

ToastGhost posted:

Pretty sure that was a kiss, which would fit in with the symbolism of unicorns being pure/virgin/whatever.

That and it disappears right afterwards, with Mondo chasing after a girl he cannot catch up to and everything quickly going to poo poo afterwards when she drowns. And you can see how that's affected his love life in the present, with him having multiple romantic interests but never seemingly satisfied by any of them.

That stage looked like poo poo to play, but drat if it wasn't beautiful to watch. This game definitely favors style over substance.

I mentioned before that I liked this level, but that's purely because of its aesthetics and the boss. People aren't exactly looking for plot heavy exposition corridors in their action games, and this level seems to have negatively influenced a lot of quick looks and reviews because it just happens to come so early.
There's some interesting things to notice if you're paying attention too. But I just like the weird shaky cam, the moon all over the place, the mood, and the fact that people openly acknowledge that there's an evil dream lady that shows up to give them nightmares. Speaking of which, yeah, shooting her is supposed to be the answer for the 2nd person view attack, and I have no idea why she kept immediately countering. Possible addition/change for the PC version?

I dunno, I actually liked the Freeze Ray. It didn't seem too bad. The canon, on the other hand... As for the Drill, it's actually useful to break guards sometimes, or hurt bigger immobile enemies, even if it's mainly just for hidden doors.
All that's left is to wonder why a random lady happened to have a drill arm and whether mechanic arm guns make for good dating gifts.

Geop posted:

Yeah, it was bad. That said, the next episode is where the game gets good. I'm very adamant when I say we're past the hump. Expect some Suda-ish (Psuda?) vibes in the next several levels and a whole bunch of :wtc:

I'd definitely agree. Even the gameplay finally takes the kiddy gloves off and starts ramping things up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Neruz posted:

I like how Geop assured us that he wouldn't find the nurse each level and then finds the nurse each level with the excuse that he needs blood. :catstare:

Geop posted:

I've skipped several! Honest!

Yup, see he only finds one nurse out of three every level so it doesn't count! Although honestly I do like her absurd hiding spots. I'm pretty sure she was hiding in one of the sub-woofers.

I'm surprised you went for gun upgrades when you had that many crystals. I'd have broken down and immediately gotten the next rank in Gekkou Neo. I'm not sure if having more early levels of that would trivialize some fights or not though.
Also I know the subweapons are dumb and unwieldy but the Freeze Ray is seriously nice against faster enemies. Speaking of enemies though, I don't believe we've ever actually mentioned what they're called. I believe looking at K.I.D. tips says they're Wires, whatever that possibly means.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Come to think of it, that last phase would have been more interesting if they used what the boss did in the cutscene to confuse you while the timer counts down. I mean, making a bunch of head illusions is so out of left field in a cutscene but would have seemed perfectly in line as a gameplay thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ramos posted:

Fantastic. This is required viewing for everyone now.

As for the missions, it's Suda 51 but let's break it down anyway:

There are a few mechanics at play. First off, Mondo has to stare at a woman's bits while she isn't looking to get guts up. He doesn't get anything from it for being caught (which feels painfully similar to the make out games from the girl game thread). I don't know about you guys, but that just makes me think Mondo's got blue balls and can only get to the end of this stuff by thinking about boning the chick in front of him.

Well if you get caught enough times the Japanese lady eventually pours a kettle of tea down his pants.
Also everyone's saying this is a Suda thing but you gotta keep in mind he only meant it as some minor joke and it was someone else in development who decided to turn it into this weird overblown minigame (at least I think there was a post saying this earlier on?).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think Hamada-Yama took the hit on himself, expected Bryan to do it but the latter just couldn't bring himself to do so?

As for the whole samurai/ninja thing, to the best of my memory samurai were really mostly horsemen/knights of sorts? I can't recall what real ninja were like since the popular image today is the sneaky, fast assassin types. I think they were more like mercenary spies though, doing espionage and sabotage and the like.

I seem to recall this boss fight was way more involved. Perhaps because I went all in on offense and counters rather than blocking, although the latter sure was effective.

It's funny that you guys mention the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter because it'd actually be pretty appropriate here. It's the oldest recorded Japanese legend, wherein a woodcutter finds a baby in bamboo, raises her as his own, only to find out that she's actually from...the moon. Yep. Moon's everywhere it seems.

Nice to see Mondo couldn't care less about Mika, he just keeps her around cause she can make eggs the way mommy used to make them. Our hero, the momma's boy everyone.
And worth noting is that New World Order is playing again during the dream sequence. Not sure what the heck that "boss" was supposed to be, if you hit David every time it seem to work out.
Finally please keep in mind the way Mondo lost his arm. Suda got interviewed a bunch before the game and he fed everyone a ton of bullshit about the backstory while mixing in some truths that haven't been revealed yet.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do you mean Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From The New World" (4th Movement), commonly known as the New World Symphony? :eng101:

Funny thing about that - when Neil Armstrong and gang went to the moon on Apollo 11, he brought with him a recording of that very piece. So there's the moon again...

Uh, whoops, no idea what the hell was going through my head when I was posting that. I swear I know my music better than that. But yeah, I think it was mentioned back after the first update.
Honestly you can sum up everything in the game so far by just saying "MOON".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Geop posted:

Haha, I find myself asking this, as well :v: In the first playthrough, it had this sort of odd vibe/charm because I didn't know where it was going. I REALLY enjoyed my initial playthrough, to be clear. But once you've seen everything, it's kinda like "oh these plot points were a waste of time or are never answered," then it's sort of irritating. I was never of the impression that this was a good game, but everything I liked about it kinda of soured as I started my second playthrough for the LP. It's also why I'm not going to bother 100%'ing.

For folks asking: I'm in the "don't buy this" camp now. Not to the same degree as, say, Duke Nukem Forever, but still. If you want a beat-em-up, get DmC or Metal Gear Rising.

I feel like it's a good watch overall. I'd go back to it maybe once in a while though, I dunno why. Or maybe it's people's reactions that I enjoy seeing again.

judge reinhold posted:

I like her because I assume she is from every anime.

I don't know about her but her actress sure is.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aw, I actually kinda like the concept of Dolly. Just some evil dream monster that's around and makes nightmares. No idea what the hell is up with that Indian inspiration(?) though.

Also, is the plot really that confusing? I mean, here's a quick summary:
-Mondo likes eggs
-David doesn't like eggs so he kills his mom and chops his brother's arm off
-Mondo escapes on unicorn back and Brian sticks a robo-arm on him because he just really like robot parts
-Mika is kidnapped, saved by David but thinks it's by Mondo
-The Moon is evil and keeps making monsters because I dunno, purple

There, see how it all neatly fits together? There's clearly nothing at all confusing about this. Nope. No useless dawdling or anything at all.

Suspicious Cook posted:

And Mondo Zappa is more than likely named for Frank Zappa, so you could be on to something.

I've been waiting for this update just to confirm the above.
See, before the game came out, Suda51 had an interview done to talk about the details of the game. Basically he said he named stuff after musical things he really likes(IE:Queen Is Dead).
BUT THEN, there's this absolutely bullshit quote about Mondo's arm:

Suda51 posted:

“So this won’t be said in the game,” Suda explained. “It’ll never be said in the actual game. But, the concept is that Mondo was one of the assassins that killed Osama Bin Laden, and in the [Killer is Dead] world, when there’s somebody that’s really bad, and they have this malice within them, when you execute them that malice will be transferred to the person who killed them. Mondo was part of the team that took down Bin Laden, and the other team members were affected as well. In fact, one of the team members will be showing up in the game. Mondo’s arm got infected, and he couldn’t control it—so he had to change it into a mechanical arm. But, that’s not explained in the game; that’s just the concept, where the basis of the game started from.”

I have no idea if he was just messing with the interviewer or if that really was the original concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

And More posted:

Honestly though, I'd love to get an in-depth analysis that really shows what we're all missing out on if you're up to it.

There is one rather nicely written and we're not missing anything really. I'd link it but it spoils the ending so that'll wait.

• Locked thread