Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pissflaps posted:

Is that bad ?

It implies a stance around the independence debate, so, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

It implies a stance around the independence debate, so, yes.

What's wrong with that?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Seems odd for a sports team to so thoroughly insert itself into a contentious political debate, doesn't it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
When it's Rangers? Not really.

And I don't really understand the problem with them having or expressing a preference, they wouldn't be the first business to do so.

Maybe it's controversial because it's not a Saltire.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pissflaps posted:

What's wrong with that?

They're a sports team. The only opinion they should have is regarding sports.

Pissflaps posted:

No? I don't appreciate the implication either.

tithin fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 7, 2014

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

When it's Rangers? Not really.

And I don't really understand the problem with them having or expressing a preference, they wouldn't be the first business to do so.

There's not necessarily a problem with it but I don't know why you're trying to play dumb when you've already basically admitted in your first line it's not quite the same as some random business doing it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Especially since the sectarianism that surrounds Rangers and Celtic, and by extension, the use of that flag in particular.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The entire MO of Rangers FC is to insert itself unwanted to political debates, I am unsurprised.

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014
With all that has happened involving the old firm clubs (Celtic fans singing IRA songs at matches, the endless parade of violence) I can't say that surprises me at all. Both clubs seem to make every effort to keep the rivalry going, I assume to keep the popularity and news coverage, and the ensuing profits.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

It's unrealistic and naive to expect Scottish businesses to not have an opinion on the referendum.

No? I don't appreciate the implication either.

Thats a shame.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Seems odd for a sports team to so thoroughly insert itself into a contentious political debate, doesn't it?

Sports and politics have been, are, and always will be intrinsically linked.

I suppose you don't think various sports should have boycotted South Africa during Apartheid either?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

It's unrealistic and naive to expect Scottish businesses to not have an opinion on the referendum.

I don't think anybody expected this not to happen, the Old Firm rivalry shoving its way into the independence question as a way to exploit any possible division for ticket sales is entirely predictable. That doesn't mean it's a good thing or that it constructively adds to the debate, particularly with the connotations of sectarianism inherent in the Old Firm that you seem to be ignoring. Also, it looks like you're treading pretty close to "that's just the Way Things Are, no use in complaining" here.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pissflaps posted:

Majorfucking :lol: at calling Rangers FC a "business".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pasco posted:

Sports and politics have been, are, and always will be intrinsically linked.

I suppose you don't think various sports should have boycotted South Africa during Apartheid either?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah, perhaps it is naive, I won't admit that it's not, but what it is is dissapointing.

And to pre-empt your next post

"Why is it so disappointing, is it because they're anti-independence?"

quote:

Thats a shame.

No need to be so snide / condescending.

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

Yeah, perhaps it is naive, I won't admit that it's not, but what it is is dissapointing.

And to pre-empt your next post

"Why is it so disappointing, is it because they're anti-independence?"

You pre-empted a post, but failed to respond to it.

The majority of businesses I have seen (admittedly biased towards the financial sector) who expressed an opinion have been anti-independence, with the usual cited reasons being uncertainty over almost everything with a side order of UK laws may require some work to be done inside the UK. I would find it disappointing if a company was having concerns over the continued viability of an office and did not in any way let their employees know.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Businesses that require a stable economic climate to operate are worried about the implications of the UK ceasing to exist because of a knee jerk vote during a world wide recession. Weird isn't it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Andy Murray has declared his unhappiness with Salmond's saltire waving stunt at Wimbledon last year and described himself as competing for Britain.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not as he is a person, but also a professional sportsman.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Regarde Aduck posted:

a stable economic climate

Well I guess that's that settled.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Pretty sure I've heard from somewhere that Murray votes SNP...

Why do we still listen to Pissflaps anyway? I don't think he's ever contributed anything to this thread, the indyref thread, or the UKMT.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

I don't think so, he has lived in England and trained in the US or around the world ever since he joined the professional level.

He has kept out of politics ever since the English press tore him apart over the whole "anyone but England" football comment.

twoot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 8, 2014

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Is that bad ?

Nah, not really.

Nobody gives a toss about what Rangers think or Scottish football, so it's pretty irrelevant (much like the scottish football league! :haw:)

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

WMain00 posted:

Nah, not really.

Nobody gives a toss about what Rangers think or Scottish football, so it's pretty irrelevant (much like the scottish football league! :haw:)

Yeah, this. Whatever dreams Rangers had of getting into the English leagues died when the club went bust, staying in the union or not. Their flag-waving has more to do with keeping their mad orange marcher faction happy than anything else.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Why do we still listen to Pissflaps anyway? I don't think he's ever contributed anything to this thread, the indyref thread, or the UKMT.

Why would voting for the SNP make any difference ? There are a lot of SNP supporters who are also against independence, as silly as it sounds.

Also, just to be clear, you're only allowed to announce your vote if your famous, if it's a yes? That seems to be the general attitude if independence supporters

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Would you prefer it if I put on a Scottish accent or would that distract you from your ad hominem attacks?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I honestly don't know why anyone would listen to Pissflaps. On ether side.

Pissflaps posted:

Would you prefer it if I put on a Scottish accent or would that distract you from your ad hominem attacks?

For Fucks sake, does anyone Scottish care if Cohoolin adopts the Scottish culture? Because all I ever see is the English feel slighted that he hasn't chosen to be part of the British Empire. It's racist and I'd rather it stopped appearing in these threads.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 9, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do you actually have a dog in this fight Pissflaps? Because you sure do post a lot in the thread while not actually contributing much.

Top posters for thread (max 100)
User Posts
Pissflaps 427
twoot 234
Jedit 222
Coohoolin 215
Iohannes 189

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I live in the uk of course I have a 'dog in the fight'.

If you people really want to talk to about me then I suggest you do so via pm as this is not the thread for it.

It's notable that this seems to be a coordinated attack by confirmed pro-independence posters. I'd rather talk about the issues surrounding the independence referendum.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

I honestly don't know why anyone would listen to Pissflaps. On ether side.

For Fucks sake, does anyone Scottish care if Cohoolin care if adopts the Scottish culture? Because all I ever see is the English feel slighted that he hasn't chosen to be part of the British Empire. It's racist and I'd rather it stopped appearing in these threads.

You are a joke. A borderline racist joke aswell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

You are a joke. A borderline racist joke aswell.

Get hosed. Racism against the English isn't a thing.

Every time Coohoolin posts we get the same usual suspects all piling in to talk the same bollocks about him not being Scottish therefor we all have to ignore him. That wouldn't happen if we had someone saying they loved to be British despite being born in another country. Because that would be seen as racist.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe we should all stop talking about posters and hurling ridiculous accusations of racism against white people and focus on the independence referendum.

Do we have any thoughts on Andy Murray?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

My friend was a school with him, she says he's quite dull, not too bright, but a nice guy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe we should all stop talking about posters and hurling ridiculous accusations of racism against white people and focus on the independence referendum.

He says your a racist too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

keep punching joe posted:

My friend was a school with him, she says he's quite dim, not too bright, but a nice guy.

I bet he was good at tennis.

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's fine let's all move on. Were moving into the final 100 days of the campaign it's time to focus on the issues.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
The UK is a democracy and we have freedom of speech and that means sometimes people are free to have speech that we don't agree with :shobon:

So it's not Pissflaps fault and besides when everyone votes Yes he'll be first against the wall :keke:

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rather a racist than a demented troon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

What's wrong with a town in South Ayrshire?

Also quoting this because loving hell, look at this dork talking about how it's better to be a racist than support independence.

Edit: Holy poo poo I just looked it up and it looks like you're being transphobic. Jesus Christ, accurately label something once and look at the filth that crawls out.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 8, 2014

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's wrong with a town in South Ayrshire?

Also quoting this because loving hell, look at this dork talking about how it's better to be a racist than support independence.

Edit: Holy poo poo I just looked it up and it looks like you're being transphobic. Jesus Christ, accurately label something once and look at the filth that crawls out.

No offence meant mate.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

loving HELL man. That is not ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Where did the troon talk come from? I thought troon meant transgender goon, not transethnic.

• Locked thread