Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
My name is Cyrus Hockaday and in 1995 I played myself for the smash hit full motion video game Phantasmagoria. Here's a shot of me in the game:

Ask me anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Are you still fat?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

is ur dad seriously hodor from game of thrones?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Someone get Slowbeef in here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is it depressing that you peaked almost 20 years ago?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
post a pic of yourself holding a piece of paper w your username

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
7 CD's, seriously?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What is Phantasmagoria?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

did you get to gently caress roberta williams

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

What is Phantasmagoria?

child spotted

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Suzuki Method posted:

did you get to gently caress roberta williams

I always imagined that at the end of the day she just lubed up, spread her legs and had the whole crew give it to her.

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-book-provides-comprehensive-guide-to-graphic-adventure-genre/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

old spotted

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

7 CD's, seriously?

8 if you got the Japanese Sega Saturn version. :unsmigghh:

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

Was that one of those cheesy sega cd games?

I used to play the one with vampires..(night trap?) when I was a kid.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Human Crouton posted:

Are you still fat?

Exceedingly so. The game gave me an appetite for small woodland critters and as I live in the woods now, I have developped a very healthy 400 pound physique.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

azreal posted:

I used to play the one with vampires..(night trap?) when I was a kid.

Don't post my tranny persona, TIA

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

azreal posted:

Was that one of those cheesy sega cd games?

It was a Sierra multi-CD FMV game, it ideally needed a Quad-speed CD-ROM at a time when the drive alone was like $300+; otherwise it ran fine on a 486 (and I think even OK on a 386).

It was supposed to be Roberta Williams' storytelling masterpiece, which went over about as well as you'd expect if you know anything about her (there's an LP for this which goes over the game and its various craziness pretty thoroughly), featuring nonsensical things like the fact that you bought a house with a still-plugged-in electrified (and sparking) torture chair, secret passages, and a shitload of locked rooms you have no ability to access. It has an easter egg comprised of massively noisy toilet visits using stock sounds from other Sierra games (each chapter's is different!), and a non-easter egg spousal rape scene. It has an option to "censor" the game which just puts mosaics over everything the least bit dodgy (and this is 90's PC standards; CSI has more explicit stuff going on in it), and the censorship can be entirely bypassed by uninstalling and reinstalling the game because this is DOS.

To its credit, the late-game gore effects were pretty well-done, though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I always imagined that at the end of the day she just lubed up, spread her legs and had the whole crew give it to her.

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-book-provides-comprehensive-guide-to-graphic-adventure-genre/

Roberta was a great lover! Usually the guy who played Don and I would give her an eiffel tower after a long day on set, but the downside is she would insist on roleplaying really bizarre scenarios that took a long time to set up. One in particular was: "Okay you're a real estate salesman and you just sold me a literal puddle of mud sight unseen for 300,000 dollars, now I'm coming to your office to complain, you take me out to view the property and I get my feet stuck in the mud, this turns you on and you jack off on my feet." Of course, this was also the plot to her game "The Colonel's Bequest".

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

8 if you got the Japanese Sega Saturn version. :unsmigghh:

Phantasmagoria 2 was going to be 14 CDs, but after the first Phantasmagoria was released, Sierra decided to trim it to 5. Also they decided to not let Roberta Williams write it or the new writer ever play Phantasmagoria, resulting in a game that had literally nothing whatever to do with Phantasmagoria 1.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Phantasmagoria 2 was going to be 14 CDs, but after the first Phantasmagoria was released, Sierra decided to trim it to 5. Also they decided to not let Roberta Williams write it or the new writer ever play Phantasmagoria, resulting in a game that had literally nothing whatever to do with Phantasmagoria 1.

OK, this is pretty funny, didn't pressing CD's still cost something like a few bucks each at the time? How the hell was that game going to ever make money? I don't think any game before or since used more than 6 discs (floppies excluded).

Phantasmagoria 2 did have a non-flamboyant gay character, though, which was pretty surprising in media full stop, let alone a video game. Also their censored version footage was actually re-shot instead of the cheap mosaic job.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

OK, this is pretty funny, didn't pressing CD's still cost something like a few bucks each at the time? How the hell was that game going to ever make money? I don't think any game before or since used more than 6 discs (floppies excluded).

That seems unlikely: There were plenty of magazines featuring cover CDs by 1995, pressing a CD can't have been all that expensive.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
How often did your father gently caress his sister before you were born?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

pathetic little tramp posted:

My name is Cyrus Hockaday and in 1995 I played myself for the smash hit full motion video game Phantasmagoria. Here's a shot of me in the game:

Ask me anything!

youre a fat

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Cyrus is the son of Harriet. Cyrus is mentally disabled but has a good heart. He is also very strong.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fame Douglas posted:

That seems unlikely: There were plenty of magazines featuring cover CDs by 1995, pressing a CD can't have been all that expensive.

Yeah mass producing had been cheap by the mid 90's and AOL was giving out free coasters. I think univbee is confusing cd-r and cd-rw with pressing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah mass producing had been cheap by the mid 90's and AOL was giving out free coasters. I think univbee is confusing cd-r and cd-rw with pressing.

I think I am. :shobon: Disregard! Still, the idea of a 14-CD game (one you don't actually install and have to swap as you play) amuses me.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Was Roberta the one who said adventure games were on PC because they were for more intelligent people and you had to be smart to be able to afford a PC in the 90s?
Poors play dumb baby games like Mario

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
How gay would you say you are, on a scale of 1-10? Need answer fast.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I remember playing a Demo of this game way back. The best part was the cool skeleton guy who would give you hints.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Phantasmagoria was poo poo

Shivers was so much better

OP, you should have been in Shivers instead

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Was Roberta the one who said adventure games were on PC because they were for more intelligent people and you had to be smart to be able to afford a PC in the 90s?

I know she was super against hint books for a while and refused to publish them because :byodame: "You are ruining my vision of the superior gaming experience!"

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

What is Phantasmagoria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0RuBNcYX9o

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Poors play dumb baby games like Mario

she was. she thought rich people were more suited for her games because they were 'intellectual' and the poors just wouldnt have the book lernin for her games

univbee posted:

I know she was super against hint books for a while and refused to publish them because :byodame: "You are ruining my vision of the superior gaming experience!"

she's peak goon

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasmagoria 2 probably has the best "dumbest logic ever" puzzle, other than maybe Gabriel Knight 3's cat moustache (which was a last-minute decision that nobody in development really liked).

You have to leave the house but don't have your wallet.
You look around your apartment and finally find it, but it somehow ended up under your couch far enough that you can't actually reach it.
Moving the couch isn't an option; like, there's no way to actually highlight that this is a thing that you want to do, and there's no mention of something like chronic back pain preventing you from doing so (plus you engage in pretty heavy BDSM later on in the game so I doubt your dude has one).
So the solution is to take your hamster (who will be in your inventory) and stick him under the couch, because this is obviously a trained "fetching" hamster (who is named Blob which tells me he probably shouldn't be that capable). Except then he refuses to come out, so you have to lure him out with a candy bar (or was it a granola bar?) but he's nice enough to carry your wallet with him.

Sierra adventure games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If adventure games ever made an actual comeback (indie games don't count... indie games never count for anything), they should make one where you could do a really stupid and convoluted solution to a puzzle, but you could also just do something completely logical. Want to get that wallet? Just move the couch, or fashion a fetching tool out of a bent coat hanger, or crawl under the couch, or you could even do the stupid-rear end hamster thing. They could even bring back a points system, so you get more points the stupider your solution is.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

If adventure games ever made an actual comeback (indie games don't count... indie games never count for anything), they should make one where you could do a really stupid and convoluted solution to a puzzle, but you could also just do something completely logical. Want to get that wallet? Just move the couch, or fashion a fetching tool out of a bent coat hanger, or crawl under the couch, or you could even do the stupid-rear end hamster thing. They could even bring back a points system, so you get more points the stupider your solution is.

playing Hitman is basically this.

you can make this convoluted plan to food poison someone or make them 'accidentally' fall off a cliff or something, or you could just loving snipe them from a safe place and be done with it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Suzuki Method posted:

you can make this convoluted plan to food poison someone or make them 'accidentally' fall off a cliff or something, or you could just loving snipe them from a safe place and be done with it

Throw a coin into the skylight, shattering it and killing your target's wife with the falling glass shards (whom your not supposed to kill but there are enough Rube Golbergian steps that it's ruled "accidental," and you need a necklace she's carrying)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just miss when PC games came in those huge boxes. I had so much fun when i was younger looking at the boxes and the pictures on the back of those boxes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I just miss when PC games came in those huge boxes. I had so much fun when i was younger looking at the boxes and the pictures on the back of those boxes.

I miss when PC games justifiably came in those huge boxes, because they had a really intricately designed manual, and player's handbook, and cloth map, and the game on 10 5.25" disks and four 3.5" disks. :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

univbee posted:

Throw a coin into the skylight, shattering it and killing your target's wife with the falling glass shards (whom your not supposed to kill but there are enough Rube Golbergian steps that it's ruled "accidental," and you need a necklace she's carrying)

My favorite was the "default" one where you just put too much starter fluid on the grill and she burns herself alive and falls into the pool. There was an easter egg attached to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5sS8MjccZs

(skip to about 5 minutes)

• Locked thread