Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hiya! Every so often I'll randomly put on a movie I've seen in a different language track for curiosity's sake and I thought I'd make a space here if there's anyone else like me who might want to just chat about whatever interesting things we've might have stumbled upon.

In general I've always been interested in how movies translate, both in language and how they're presented or come across, between cultures, so any talk of that nature is welcome here: remakes, poster or video artwork, advertizing, it's all good here.

I wish I had a more interesting example to get the ball rolling, but I just got the itch to talk about this when watching Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter in Spanish - or should I say Viernes 13 - El capítulo final? (this despite the fact that in many Spanish speaking countries it's Tuesday the 13th (Martes 13) that's the traditionally unlucky day) and I felt like I was watching the world's bloodiest Mexican novella. Nothing spectacularly different, but I did find the phrase "dead gently caress" (used about three dozen times in this movie, basically meaning "bad lay") translated to something like "dead penis", and I learned about the word "JODENTE".

Also, they had the usually mute Jason make lots of lurching "rrrrrrraaarrrrr.....grrrrrr" sounds which may not necessarily be a cultural thing, but I still found it an interesting decision and I was surprised how different this made his character seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Let the Right One In is one of those movies that changes a lot based on which version of subtitles/dub you see. When it was first available on Netflix Instant, the subtitles were supposedly very accurate. The dubbed version seemed to be based on this version of the subtitles, but it had bad voice actors with annoying accents. The movie became available on DVD later, but it's subtitles were very different from the Netflix Instant version. They left out entire lines, including most of the jokes. They changed the last words of a major character for no apparent reason, except maybe to make it clearer to really dumb people why he was doing what he was doing. I didn't get around to watching it until the Netflix Instant version was gone, and I was stuck into choosing between a hokey but accurate dubbed version or a very poor subtitled version.

Vampire Hunter D has a really terrible dub. When I first saw the movie back in the early '90s it was kind of a guilty pleasure - it had a lot of cool scenes but so much of it seemed very cheesy. About a decade later I got the DVD version and watched the subtitled version and was amazed at how different it was. I understand why dubs often can't have a word-for-word translation of what characters are saying, but the dubbed version does a lot more than bad translation. For instance, there is a scene at the beginning where a character meets a vampire, and in the English dubbed version I first saw there's horrible '80s synth music while he gives a fast speech explaining who he is before he attacks the person. In the original soundtrack, there's no music and no speech, just the vampire standing silently for a few seconds. It's a far more powerful scene that way. There's also a scene where a character threatens to kill themselves. In the dub, this character threatens to run away and never come back. I could understand softening that if this was a children's movie, but this was a hard R with nudity and tons of gore, why did they need to change that? On top of the parts added to the movie that make it worse, there are things left out of the dub that make the movie a lot more confusing. I was always a bit confused about why a certain character does some counter-productive things in the English version, in the subtitles it's made clear that he is betraying his master, this aspect of the plot was completely left out and it's made to seem like he's still serving his master but just being really stupid about it. There was a scene where the hero fights a ghost then punches a hole in a wall to kill a monster hidden inside. In the subtitles, it's made clear that this monster is projecting the ghost and that the hero was trying to sense where it was hidden. There are also lots of changes to the sound effects, some of the monsters are given really ridiculous vocalizations that they don't have in the original, weird synth effects are added all over the place where there are just normal folio sound effects in the original.

A more subtle example of this is the Disney dub of Kiki's Delivery Service. There's no explanation for the bells in the trees, the parting scene between Kiki and her dad is completely different, and Kiki acts like a brat a few times in the English dub while in the original she's never rude and almost always polite. There's also the cat thing, but I think expecting American audiences to handle a male cat who sounds like a female might be a bit much for a children's movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

A more subtle example of this is the Disney dub of Kiki's Delivery Service. There's no explanation for the bells in the trees, the parting scene between Kiki and her dad is completely different, and Kiki acts like a brat a few times in the English dub while in the original she's never rude and almost always polite. There's also the cat thing, but I think expecting American audiences to handle a male cat who sounds like a female might be a bit much for a children's movie.

There's definitely a "thing" in the west about appealing to kids' mischievous sides (and making teens more comfortable watching) with kid/family movies. See: DreamWorks face, "angry Kirby", etc., that simply doesn't fly in Asia. I remember hearing in Japan they had to push Lisa as the star of The Simpsons because folks would be too put off by Bart's behavior.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

lizardman posted:

There's definitely a "thing" in the west about appealing to kids' mischievous sides (and making teens more comfortable watching) with kid/family movies. See: DreamWorks face, "angry Kirby", etc., that simply doesn't fly in Asia. I remember hearing in Japan they had to push Lisa as the star of The Simpsons because folks would be too put off by Bart's behavior.

It works the opposite way, too. I remember John Lasseter in an interview commenting on how in Spirited Away the perception of Chihiro to Japanese and U.S. audiences profoundly alters the context of the story, despite the fact that Lasseter and his team worked very hard to maintain Miyazaki's vision (as opposed to many distributors who see adapting a foreign movie to a new audience as a bottom-line affair where anything is subject to change). In Japan, Chihiro is a spoiled brat, a product of her parents' own presumptuous rudeness. In the U.S., however, the style with which Chihiro is treated and raised by her parents is actually far more common. The difference is subtle, because the arch of the character remains fundamentally the same, but the effect is that Chihiro's experiences appear even more unfair in the U.S. version.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...
I'd include the remastered dub of Akira in this. The original dub was confusing-ish (if you were thick) but had a ton of character and charm. The remaster provided a more accurate dub but removed all charm, leaving most characters feeling flat, boring and prone to exposition..

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

lizardman posted:

The Simpsons would be an interesting case study in this sort of thing because its been so widely exported. Apparently there is even an Arabian version. How do you work around the fact that the main character is an alcoholic in a culture where alcohol is illegal?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The other thing too was that Kiki's Delivery Service was also utilizing Phil Hartman's talents for the cat, and he did a lot of ad-libbing. They reedited the dub to make his work a little closer to the Japanese original, by editing out some lines, including his last line. It's kind of sad though. He died right around the time it was released, and there definitely was a bit of name recognition going on with his casting. Aside from the fact that he's talented.

In fact, a local arthouse theater was doing a film run of Ghibli's works, and all of the films except for Kiki's Delivery Service were subtitled, including Princess Monoke. Probably because when given the choice between Phil Hartman and no Phil Hartman, you go with Phil Hartman.

An interesting film is Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence! It's a Japanese film, but about 75% of the dialog is in English, most of the characters are British, and it stars David Bowie. Anyway, when writing the dialog, almost all of the English dialog had to be rewritten by the translator. Basically, the English were written to speak like Japanese people do, which meant there were times where they would just come across wrong. So for instance, there were a few instances where someone would be asked a question, the other person would start talking about something else and then come back to the question. In Japanese, that sounds alright. In English, that sounds like you're trying to avoid the question.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JoeCL posted:

The Simpsons would be an interesting case study in this sort of thing because its been so widely exported. Apparently there is even an Arabian version. How do you work around the fact that the main character is an alcoholic in a culture where alcohol is illegal?

The book The Sheikh's Batmobile has a whole chapter about this. I'm not crazy about the style the book is written in, but it's very interesting subject matter.

Great idea for a thread, by the way. The Godzilla movies were always fun for stuff like this. I was just sharing this review of Godzilla vs. King Kong in gen chat the other day that has some interesting stuff about how the American version had to work its way around the "salaryman" plot which was kind of a popular trope in Japan that didn't exist in the US.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JoeCL posted:

The Simpsons has a huge international presence, which I'm sure is helped by the appearance of the characters (even those with darker skin you could say are merely a darker shade of yellow). The Arabic version, titled Al Shamshoon is one of the few that didn't take, though according to Wikipedia a Pakistani-specific version is popular in that country, and the English-version of the show (with Arabic subtitles) has a cult Middle Eastern following, but it's not widely aired.

Simpsons Wikia posted:

In addition to being dubbed in Arabic (with subtitles provided for shots including written English, such as the chalkboards), references to alcohol (Duff Beer & Moe's Tavern), pork (bacon & hot dogs), and numerous other themes have been deleted or significantly modified. For instance, Homer drinks soda-pop instead of beer and eats beef sausages as opposed to pork and all references to Moe's Tavern were cut.

I imagine they just didn't bother with any episodes that spent a lot of time in Moe's bar or dealt with drunkenness or alcoholism. I also found it interesting that the Simpsons family were portrayed as Islamic and most of the major characters were understood to be Arabic, but the show still took place in the US, the idea being they lived in an American town with a major Arabic population, like a Chinatown or little Italy.

Wikipedia has a lot of little tidibts about international versions of The Simpsons and how there are two versions of Spanish Simpsons (one for Latin America and one for Spain) as well as two versions of French Simpsons (one for France and one for Quebec).

There's an academic journal article-turned-book-chapter titled "Dubbing The Simpsons: How Groundskeeper Willie Lost His Kilt in Sardinia" that outlines some of the hoops translators had to go through when creating an Italian version of the show, and uses the Groundskeeper Willie character as a case study: the character in his original form is a conglomeration of Scottish stereotypes (through the eyes of Americans). Italy, though, doesn't have the same stereotypes for Scottish folks and so those in charge worried the character wouldn't make much sense; so they decided to make his character from the island of Sardinia, who the Italians have a similar stereotype as being rural, rustic and stubborn. This created a predicament when an episode had the characters actually fly to Scotland and meet Willie's family. The producers decided to just kind of go with it: Willie's family are Sardinians that live in Scotland (in fact, this might actually explain the kilts, bagpipes, etc. that Willie is sometimes seen with throughout the series that previously had just been an eccentric part of his personality in the Italian version).

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

lizardman posted:

"Dubbing The Simpsons: How Groundskeeper Willie Lost His Kilt in Sardinia"

A similar happened thing with the Spanish Romantic Buzz Lightyear joke in Toy Story 3:

http://www.thelinguafile.com/2012/10/toy-story-3s-dubbing-dilemma.html

quote:

So imagine you're responsible for dubbing a film. What happens if a character in the film is already speaking the language you're dubbing into?

A good example of this dilemma is Toy Story 3. There's a large part of the film in which protagonist Buzz Lightyear is reset into "Spanish Mode". He speaks Spanish and acts typically Hispanic, complete with flamenco movements reminiscent of warm summer evenings spent drinking copious amounts of sangria.

If you're dubbing the film into Spanish, what to do? In the South American dubs of the film, they gave Buzz a Castilian Spanish accent, which is typical in Spain. If you're South American, hearing someone speak with this accent would conjure up the Spanish stereotype, complete with flamenco, bullfighting and whatever other stereotypes you want to convey.

But what if you're a Spaniard? Hearing your own accent probably wouldn't make you think of tapas, bullfights and the rest. So what area is the most "Spanish" part of Spain? The decision was made to go with Andalucia, the southernmost region of Spain. Most things people consider to be typically Spanish are Andalusian. It's home to bullfight enthusiasts, free tapas with every drink, and of course, the Sevillana.

edit: There's a cool blog about video game localization that might be interesting to people here that I can't remember the name of right now that I'm sure someone will.

e2: duh http://legendsoflocalization.com/

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 5, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
This is quickly going to become one of the best and most important threads in CineD.

Is there anybody with a greater knowledge of martial arts films who can discuss the extent to which American imports of these films frequently get the 'spirit of kung fu' lost in translation? I remember a podcast interview with Ric Meyers about precisely this topic, but I've been fruitless in locating it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I kinda wanna write an effortpost on Shogun Assassin but basically all I know is that it mashes together the first three Lone Wolf and Cub movies and it's also dope as hell, so I have a fair bit of research to do.

e: Also, most of the Shaw Bros dubs I've seen are fairly accurate, just not very well-acted. Ditto Master of the Flying Guillotine, though that one's just straight up fun (hell, I'd say it's more enjoyable in English than in Cantonese).

e2: Proof of Shogun Assassin's dope-ness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s7pNmhnBTw

peep that loving awesome 80s synth score

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

lizardman posted:

and I learned about the word "JODENTE".

It's "jodete" without that "n", for those goons that don't know...that's the translation for "gently caress you/gently caress off".

I hate paying games in European Spanish. No offense to all Spanish goons, but you guys have some really funny accents(for me,I probably sound funny as well for you).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Here's something I've always wondered. American studios will by the rights to foreign films and remake them for American audiences (The Ring, The Departed, etc) but does that happen the other way around? I'm not talking about unlicensed knock-offs (Turkish Star Wars, etc), but actual foreign studios by the rights to American films and then making their own version.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Here's something I've always wondered. American studios will by the rights to foreign films and remake them for American audiences (The Ring, The Departed, etc) but does that happen the other way around? I'm not talking about unlicensed knock-offs (Turkish Star Wars, etc), but actual foreign studios by the rights to American films and then making their own version.

Do Bollywood remakes count?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

acephalousuniverse posted:

Do Bollywood remakes count?

If they bought the rights to said film from the American studio to make as their own version, then yes. But if it's a case of them just seeing something, and then doing their own, then no.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apart from Bollywood stuff the only thing that's coming to mind is that Colombian Breaking Bad remake, but I feel like there's gotta be more I'm forgetting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Davros1 posted:

There's a Russian remake of 12 Angry Men simply titled 12. It was even nominated for an Oscar in 2007. Assault on Precinct 13 had a French remake called Nid de Guêpes/The Nest. And The Longest Yard was remade in Britain as Mean Machine.

In general, foreign remakes of Hollywood productions seem to be fairly rare though. Probably because American films already have a large international appeal and most countries don't have sufficient funds to compete with their production values.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
It's probably not really appropriate for the thread but I think about this paragraph from the Wikipedia page for The Producers and laugh to myself like, once a week.

quote:

In Sweden, however, the title literally translates as "Springtime For Hitler". As a result of its success, all but two of Mel Brooks movies in Swedish have been given similar titles: "Springtime For Mother-In-Law" (The Twelve Chairs); "Springtime For The Sheriff" (Blazing Saddles); "Springtime For Frankenstein" (Young Frankenstein); "Springtime For The Silent Movies" (Silent Movie); "Springtime For The Lunatics" (High Anxiety); "Springtime For World History" (History of the World, Part I); "Springtime For Space" (Spaceballs); and "Springtime For The Slum" (Life Stinks).[12]

"Springtime for Mother-In-Law" just kills me for some reason.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

It's probably not really appropriate for the thread but I think about this paragraph from the Wikipedia page for The Producers and laugh to myself like, once a week.

This is absolutely appropriate. Cracked had a pretty good introductory write up on title changes in different cultures: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-insane-ways-movie-titles-are-translated-around-world/

It's really interesting to think about all of the 'implied franchises' that end up getting created this way.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Davros1 posted:

Remakes of American movies aren't super common (as others have pointed out, largely because most foreign studios can't really compete with Hollywood production values) but remakes of American TV shows happen all the time. From what I've heard, the Russian version of Married With Children is one of the biggest hit TV shows of all time in that country.

As for film, it's not quite a remake, but Japan has their own alternate Paranormal Activity 2. There's also a Japanese version of Sideways as well as a Chinese remake of What Women Want (this is available on Netflix Instant the last time I checked!).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Exporting Raymond is a great documentary about the challenges of remaking Everybody Loves Raymond for the Russian market

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lizardman posted:

As for film, it's not quite a remake, but Japan has their own alternate Paranormal Activity 2. There's also a Japanese version of Sideways as well as a Chinese remake of What Women Want (this is available on Netflix Instant the last time I checked!).

To be a stickler, Tokyo Night is called PA2 because it's a sequel to the original, not because it's a remake of PA2. It's much more similar to PA1.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
In Portugal the Die Hard movies tried to mantain a franchise going on by naming them Assault on ______, so the first was Assault on the Skyscrapper, the second Assault on the airport; but the third movie didn't involve an assault, so we literally just kept the english name and translated the subtitle.

Also, on Steven Seagal movie, Hard to Kill I think, was translated as how probably Die Hard should have in the first place.

sbagliom
Mar 27, 2010

SOCIALISM IS DEAD
I would guess that most directors have no interest in the foreign versions of their movies, but Stanley Kubrick was an exception. Examples:

-In the countries where the films had to be dubbed, he chose the voice actors personally after hearing hundreds of auditions.

-He shot the typewriter scene in The Shining in a bunch of different languages for each country using local expressions.

-After hearing some complaints about the Japanese subtitles for Full Metal Jacket, he forced the distributors to pull it from the theaters and do them over again.

sbagliom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 6, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In a similar vein Spinal Tap in Norway was titled "Help! We're in Music Miz", Airplane was called "Help! We're Flying" Christmas Vacation got the title "Help! We're on Christmas Vacation" and so on. Almost every comedy released in the eighties had Help in the title.
In Norway we normally don't dub movies but or subbing can sometimes be impressively inept. In an episode of Seinfeld make-up sex is being described as really great, according to the subtitles this involves cosmetics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:doublepost

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

K. Waste posted:

This is absolutely appropriate. Cracked had a pretty good introductory write up on title changes in different cultures: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-insane-ways-movie-titles-are-translated-around-world/

It's really interesting to think about all of the 'implied franchises' that end up getting created this way.

I think my favorite has to be the Italians changing all giant monster movies to King Kong, even though they know he's not in there (because they changed the poster to add him).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The classic example is the Italian "Zombi" franchise.

The original Dawn of the Dead was released in Italy as Zombi, where it was a huge success. So they tried to cash in on it by naming the unrelated Lucio Fulci zombie movie "Zombi 2." Except in America, Zombi 2 was released as "Zombie." So from an American perspective, you have a movie that appears to be a sequel to itself. And then there's Zombi 3 and Zombi 4, which are respectively the third and fourth entries in a series that really only contains 3 movies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And if Wiki isn't lying to me, Italy did the same thing with Evil Dead, which they called "La Casa" and made like three or four "sequels" after Evil Dead 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the Italian film industry.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Honest Thief posted:

In Portugal the Die Hard movies tried to mantain a franchise going on by naming them Assault on ______, so the first was Assault on the Skyscrapper, the second Assault on the airport; but the third movie didn't involve an assault, so we literally just kept the english name and translated the subtitle.

I would have thought Assault on New York would have been a pretty easy one in that sequence. The last one could have been Assault on Russia, though Live Free or Die Hard/4.0 would be a toughie.

On another note, Americans wound up getting their own "every zany comedy has to have a similar title for whatever dumb reason" with all the <Blank> Movies over the years, I wonder if that naming convention held overseas.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

wdarkk posted:

I think my favorite has to be the Italians changing all giant monster movies to King Kong, even though they know he's not in there (because they changed the poster to add him).

Italians love their giant gorillas. But the most surreal one is the one that basically looks like King Kong crossed with Godzilla, as if they thought, "Eh, we gonna lie true our teeth to deez kids, buts thats no reasons for deceptives advertisings!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The classic example is the Italian "Zombi" franchise.

The original Dawn of the Dead was released in Italy as Zombi, where it was a huge success. So they tried to cash in on it by naming the unrelated Lucio Fulci zombie movie "Zombi 2." Except in America, Zombi 2 was released as "Zombie." So from an American perspective, you have a movie that appears to be a sequel to itself. And then there's Zombi 3 and Zombi 4, which are respectively the third and fourth entries in a series that really only contains 3 movies.

What makes this even more interesting is that occasionally you get U.S. specialty DVD companies "carrying on the tradition" of blatantly lying about their product. I have the Shriek Show 25th anniversary DVD from Media Blasters,* but around the same time Blue Underground was just starting to get traction as a pretty great exploitation, seedy foreign film re-distributor, so they also had their own release with the added benefit of getting the rights to both Zombi 3 and Zombi 4. But they also acquired the rights to a complete unrelated '80s zombie movie called Killing Birds, and release it as Zombie 5: Killing Birds.

*It's really not a very solid film. It manages to somehow be even more uneven than Dawn of the Dead, though it does work as an interesting kind of quasi-prequel. I also have no intention of parting with it just because the packaging is beautiful and looks good on my shelf. The really dumb thing I did was give away the one-sheet that came with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

*It's really not a very solid film. It manages to somehow be even more uneven than Dawn of the Dead, though it does work as an interesting kind of quasi-prequel. I also have no intention of parting with it just because the packaging is beautiful and looks good on my shelf. The really dumb thing I did was give away the one-sheet that came with it.

If you're referring to Zombi 2, I actually think it's a minor masterpiece. I urge you to revisit it. The tropical island setting is hugely effective and was extremely influential within the Italian horror scene, and the Fabio Frizzi score is one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever.

Anyway, in a similar example, there's the Evil Dead Trap films, a series of Hong Kong horror movies that have nothing to do with Evil Dead, and in fact have a lot more in common with Fulci-style giallo pictures.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you're referring to Zombi 2, I actually think it's a minor masterpiece. I urge you to revisit it. The tropical island setting is hugely effective and was extremely influential within the Italian horror scene, and the Fabio Frizzi score is one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever.

Lol, I've tried it four times all the way through and no dice. At the most it keeps me morbidly curious enough to keep coming back, and those first twenty minutes are some of the best I've seen in Italian exploitation. But that was Dawn of the Dead's problem, too, for me. When you sit down and watch both films, you realize that the preamble is actually more interesting than what comes after.

I'm not putting down Fulci, and I've only seen one of his other films (Don't Torture a Duckling, which I really got into). And watching the DVD special features I really appreciated that screenwriters Elisa Briganti and Dardano Sacchetti decided to combine both the contemporary and 'classic' concepts of the zombie. It's certainly an important film, because it's really the first one that explicitly connects the flesh-eating ghouls that Romero invented to the concept of the 'living dead.' But as with Dawn of the Dead, I think it's another case where 'significant' doesn't necessarily translate to great cinema.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love the Italian film industry.

It's so joyfully sleazy. Italian exploitation is like the Bart Simpson of international cinema, a "shameless burlesque of irrepressible youth."

But, I could go on and on, so, I'll make an effort post:

That, my friends, is the Japanese poster for Monster King Godzilla, the Japanese dub of the international market re-edit of Gojira. Most of what I'm about to write is apocryphal, so just know that I'm printing the legend.

The movie apparently did quite well, but anybody who has seen Godzilla, King of the Monsters! already knows that it basically replaces the documentary perspective of the original and has everything channeled through Raymond Burr's perspective. There's a good deal of film that is told simply through Burr basically watching Gojira without subtitles and having his guide translate for him. Thus, when the film was translated back into Japanese, often times it comes off as if the translator is blatantly lying to Burr about what people in the movie have actually said.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

K. Waste posted:

The movie apparently did quite well, but anybody who has seen Godzilla, King of the Monsters! already knows that it basically replaces the documentary perspective of the original and has everything channeled through Raymond Burr's perspective. There's a good deal of film that is told simply through Burr basically watching Gojira without subtitles and having his guide translate for him. Thus, when the film was translated back into Japanese, often times it comes off as if the translator is blatantly lying to Burr about what people in the movie have actually said.

Now I feel like someone should do something like What's Up Tiger Lily? for dramatic effect, or maybe as a mystery. Has it been done?

(Actually, anyone know if What's Up Tiger Lily? was "re"-marketed to Japan?)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

That, my friends, is the Japanese poster for Monster King Godzilla, the Japanese dub of the international market re-edit of Gojira. Most of what I'm about to write is apocryphal, so just know that I'm printing the legend.

You just sort of jump right into this story while I'm still trying to process that they made a Japanese version of an international version of a Japanese movie... :psyduck:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

lizardman posted:

You just sort of jump right into this story while I'm still trying to process that they made a Japanese version of an international version of a Japanese movie... :psyduck:

They did that twice for Final Fantasy games, although I think that was at least in part a "we got this content ready in time for the EU release but not the Japanese one" thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

K. Waste posted:

After the success of Amelie some other completely unrelated film which I can't remember starring Audrey Tautou was called Amelie 2 in a territory I also can't remember.

I also really really really want The Prestige to be called Batman vs Wolverine somewhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

wdarkk posted:

They did that twice for Final Fantasy games, although I think that was at least in part a "we got this content ready in time for the EU release but not the Japanese one" thing.

This reminds me of how Super Mario Bros. 2--which in the US was actually a modification of an unrelated Japanese game that replaced the existing characters with Mario and friends--was released in Japan as "Super Mario USA".

And THAT reminds me of Street Fighter: The Movie... not the movie itself, but the videogame based off the movie... which was based off the videogame...

But I digress!

Desperado Bones posted:

It's "jodete" without that "n", for those goons that don't know...that's the translation for "gently caress you/gently caress off".

Mierda!

Friday the 13th The Final Chapter in espanol also taught me "sucia!" I wasn't kidding about the whole 'feeling like a novella' thing.

• Locked thread